Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Minkah Fitzpatrick

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Hes a Colt type player. Probably would be a CB on this team considering we are needing more corners who can play man along with zone responsibilities. Its a plus that he can play SS also. Depends on what the asking price is. I dont think Desir and Quincy Wilson are the long term answers.

I think that's part of the reason he wants out, he doesnt want to play SS.

I really like Minkah, and I would love to have him. If they would take Quincy and a 2021 2nd, I would definitely do it......but they will get a better offer than that. We just cant afford to give up a 1, until we know who our long term QB is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I would give up a 1st for him in a heartbeat.  

Fitzpatrick, a defensive back, signed a four-year, $16,447,773 contract with the Dolphins after being the 11th overall pick in the 2018 draft. 

Fitzpatrick will be a bargain for a team in need of a versatile defender that can play both safety and cornerback. According to OverTheCap.com's Jason Fitzgerald, Fitzpatrick has already received about 64 percent of his rookie contract, meaning that whoever trades for him will only owe him a little more than a third of his rookie deal. 

The 6-foot-2, 202-pound defensive back starred at the University of Alabama prior to being drafted by the Dolphins. A two-time national champion, Fitzpatrick, a captain on Alabama's 2017 national championship team, was a unanimous All-American that season along with being the recipient of the Bednarik and Thorpe awards.

As a rookie, Fitzpatrick appeared in each of Miami's 16 games, making 11 starts. He recorded 80 tackles while intercepting two passes and breaking up nine more. He recorded five tackles in the Dolphins' Week 1 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. 

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Watching these highlights it looks like he could replace Geathers not really a outside CB.  How bad would it look though to cut a captain.

We may have to do it with Vinny if the bad kicking streak continues...  I don't see Ballard doing this, but Minkah is a "Ballard" guy, so who knows.  I have a feeling some other team will offer more than CB would.  

Also, don't count out the Patriots.  I know it sounds crazy since they have a good secondary but Saban LOVED Fitzpatrick, and I bet he puts in a good word with BB (pure conjecture on my part).

1 minute ago, bhougland said:

We may have to do it with Vinny if the bad kicking streak continues...  I don't see Ballard doing this, but Minkah is a "Ballard" guy, so who knows.  I have a feelings some other team will offer more than CB ever would.  

Also, don't count out the Patriots.  I know it sounds crazy since they have a good secondary but Saban LOVED Fitzpatrick, and I bet he puts in a good word with BB (pure conjecture on my part).

Moving him to their arch enemy the Patriots and playing him twice a year.   I would be shocked. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bhougland said:

We may have to do it with Vinny if the bad kicking streak continues...  I don't see Ballard doing this, but Minkah is a "Ballard" guy, so who knows.  I have a feeling some other team will offer more than CB would.  

You think they send him to a rival within the division? To his old protege? My money is on the Seahawks. 

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read on Rotoworld where the Dolphins are seeking a 1st.  but they think a 2nd is more likely.   I can see Ballard going for that a second and tossing in a player as well.  

A 2nd round pick for Minkah is a steal. You can figure out where he fits later.

The Colts would have so much flexibility at that point. I don't see the issue. Desir won't be here much longer I don't think...he has no dead cap after this year. And the current S group isn't great...outside of Hooker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wilson didn’t even get that many snaps Sunday. Who you going to take out of the lineup. You add you then have to subtract.

Stop.

This is never going to happen for Indy at the price that is out there.  But if this fantasy were to come true, he would be an immediate starter.  

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The Colts would have so much flexibility at that point. I don't see the issue. Desir won't be here much longer I don't think...he has no dead cap after this year. And the current S group isn't great...outside of Hooker.

I think Willis is the guy that they want at SS.  If we get Micah I think it's to play corner with Rock eventually on the other side.  

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Even having Desir as a backup would be quality. You just wouldn’t resign him after his contact is up. The highlights look like this guy would really help in the box and stopping the run.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Even having Desir as a backup would be quality. You just wouldn’t resign him after his contact is up. The highlights look like this guy would really help in the box and stopping the run.

He would definitely be the strong side safety in a cover 2.  He would actually be perfect in our scheme..  He could come up and guard the TE, good run stopper, and is extremely rangy covering half the field.  However, I would not play him in the box like Miami did.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Watching these highlights it looks like he could replace Geathers not really a outside CB.  How bad would it look though to cut a captain.

He actually wants out in part because they stuck him at S (and almost as a LB'er) last week. His mom made the news because she was on twitter saying they were misusing him.

Here's how they used him last season and:

Last season, Fitzpatrick was on the field for 944 defensive plays, second most on the team behind Kiko Alonso. He was the Dolphins’ slot cornerback 40 percent of the time, the boundary corner 30 percent, free safety 17 percent and strong safety 3 percent.

And it’s important to note that Fitzpatrick last season was best among all NFL slot corners in completion percentage against (51.3) and passer rating against (49.7).

But on Sunday, according to Pro Football Focus, the Dolphins used him only 12 snaps at slot cornerback, four at boundary cornerback, seven on the defensive line (in an edge role) and 26 snaps in the box, where he was playing within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage, essentially in a linebacker-type role.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234589222.html

You could move Geathers and Wilson off the roster without much change in how we play. Odum and Willis could do what Geathers is currently doing.  Wilson just hasn't ever grabbed control of that #1 or #2 spot outside yet.   You could let Marvell Tell take over the role Wilson is currently doing. 

• Like 1

I just don’t see Ballard giving up draft capital util we know if JB is the guy or not. I am pretty sure they expect him to be the guy but until we see what happens I don’t see him giving up a second. Defiantly not a first.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

He literally wants out in part because they stuck him at S last week. His mom made the news because she was on twitter saying they were misusing him.

Here's how they used him last season:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234589222.html

If that is the case I doubt we would trade for him. We already have a great slot.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If that is the case I doubt we would trade for him. We already have a great slot.

40% at slot and 30% at boundary. So it's not like boundary corner is foreign to him.

I don't think we'll trade for him either, too rich for Ballard, but I really do believe that if he were allowed to solely learn boundary CB then he would have a very high ceiling. He hasn't been able to stay at just one position and yet he's still an elite slot CB and solid on the outside.

But again, I don't think Ballard trades for him either.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

40% at slot and 30% at boundary. So it's not like boundary corner is foreign to him.

I don't think we'll trade for him either, too rich for Ballard, but I really do believe that if he were allowed to solely learn boundary CB then he would have a high ceiling. He hasn't been able to stay at just one position and yet he's still an elite slot CB and a solid boundary corner.

But again, I don't think Ballard trades for him either.

And it would be great to have another guy who can play the slot corner at a high level in the event that Kenny Moore ever got hurt.  Heck you could tell the difference in Kennys play with that cast on his hand just in that San Diego game.  

1 minute ago, krunk said:

And it would be great to have another guy who can play the slot corner at a high level in the event that Kenny Moore ever got hurt.  Heck you could tell the difference in Kennys play with that cast on his hand just in that San Diego game.  

If he gets hurt? That means someone is sitting a lot if he isn’t. Kenny was actually one of the bright spots Sunday.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gee, his contract and the reported asking price is shown in ANY quick search.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Funny. They are rebuilding and you think they would want Geathers OR Desir.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Fitzpatrick would likely have to replace Hooker, so, of course, I'd be all for it. 

Man, some people never change...

giphy.gif

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If he gets hurt? That means someone is sitting a lot if he isn’t. Kenny was actually one of the bright spots Sunday.

Neither Minkah or Moore would sit if they were healthy.

Also, Moore wasn't really a bright spot against the Chargers, probably thanks in large part due to the cast.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Kenny was out there getting burnt by Kennan Allen. Wouldn't be if he wasn't hurt, but a cast does that to you.

12 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

giphy.gif

I know. People commenting nonsense because they are to lazy to do one quick search and read a couple paragraphs. 
 And suggesting Miami taking old players was just brain dead.
  Gotta whip these knuckleheads into shape ya know.

24 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

giphy.gif

What a strange reaction.  Makes me think your ignorant.

Like you'd want to have a S that's good at one thing, instead of one that's good at a variety of things. 

Rely on guys with broken necks and 4th rounders to do all of the things a S does other than guard the deep middle, instead of wanting guys like Minkah in the first and guys like TJ Green with better instincts in the 4th, which would be smarter.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I know. People commenting nonsense because they are to lazy to do one quick search and read a couple paragraphs. 

I know.

Good thing being condescending and making snide remarks is such a productive way to "whip knuckleheads into shape"...  :sarcasm:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

What a strange reaction.  Makes me think your ignorant.

*you're

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Like you'd want to have a S that's good at one thing, instead of one that's good at a variety of things.

That type of  thinking seems like blind homerism to me.

Hooker just made one of the best plays in the NFL in week 1, and you STILL look for ways to nitpick his game...

That seems like blind pessimism to me.  haha

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I know, what ignorant GM would give us anything higher than pick #40 for Hooker.  We can never make up that lost capital.

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

*you're

Hooker just made one of the best plays in the NFL in week 1, and you STILL look for ways to nitpick his game...

That seems like blind pessimism to me.  haha

Nah.  Just looking at the traits and attributes of all of the safeties that were taken in round 1 lately, and realizing that between Minkah, Derwin, and Hooker, we got the least bang for our buck.  But I doubt MIA would give us a good enough deal to unwind that mistake.

Especially when realizing that our SS is responsible for being good or very good at  lot of different things.  Like getting assigned to the box, to cover a TE, to cover a RB, to tackle any receiver immediately, and to occasionally cover one half of the deep field, make me wonder why we rely upon 4th rounders for that guy and not wish the SS was the elite talent.   Like Bob Sanders compared to Antoine Bethea.

Oh well, I'm sure there is a reason.