Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keys to the Titans game

Restinpeacesweetchloe

7 hours ago, MFT5 said:

no it’s not stop tryna prop us up to demean another team. We haven’t won anything en almost 2 decades

We just won the SB in 2006/Feb of 2007 = 12 years ago, won the AFC in 2009/Jan of 2010, and went to the AFC Title Game in 2014/Jan of 2015. I think we have accomplished a little more than what the Titans have recently. 2 decades would not be winning anything in 20 years lmao 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MFT5 said:

no it’s not stop tryna prop us up to demean another team. We haven’t won anything en almost 2 decades

I don’t think she meant it that way... just saying that this win would be a big deal for the Titans because we have beaten them the majority of times they have faced us over the years (last 13 out of 15 games I think I read). This game is a big deal division wise, both teams are looking to make a statement with this game. If the Titans win, they can feel they have overcome a huge hurdle against an old nemesis and can establish themselves as a real contender to win the division. If we win, we are letting them, the division, and the NFL world know that despite the organization’s recent “hiccups,” we still have the ability to dominate the Titans, rule the AFC South, and set our sights on the playoffs. Big game with big implications for both teams... GO COLTS!!!! :colts::rock:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

I don’t think she meant it that way... just saying that this win would be a big deal for the Titans because we have beaten them the majority of times they have faced us over the years (last 13 out of 15 games I think I read). This game is a big deal division wise, both teams are looking to make a statement with this game. If the Titans win, they can feel they have overcome a huge hurdle against an old nemesis and can establish themselves as a real contender to win the division. If we win, we are letting them, the division, and the NFL world know that despite the organization’s recent “hiccups,” we still have the ability to dominate the Titans, rule the AFC South, and set our sights on the playoffs. Big game with big implications for both teams... GO COLTS!!!! :colts::rock:

I agree 100%

On 9/12/2019 at 6:31 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I think we are going to see more of Ebron in the slot like last year with DF out. More WR work for Ebron.

We need to see Campbell  in the slot alot more. He should be able to destroy  teams from there as quick as he gets open. Was mad he wasn't  used that way versus chargers. Our offense  would have started faster with campbell working the middle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We need to see Campbell  in the slot alot more. He should be able to destroy  teams from there as quick as he gets open. Was mad he wasn't  used that way versus chargers. Our offense  would have started faster with campbell working the middle.

Rookie receivers usually take time. Like 2 years.  Can’t expect them all to excel from day 1.  

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not nonsense it normally does take WRs longer to develop.  That doesn’t mean Campbell can’t have an impact this season it just means he needs time to become the player he’s going to be.

He doesn't need time. He needs the ball thrown his way in space like brown instead of that poorly executed screen. The fact we had no playaction in the second half with mack running great was crazy.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

nonsense campbell can excel immediately just need to throw him the ball

It’s nonsense that rookie receivers usually take time???   Ok.  I don’t think you know what the word nonsense means 

I did y say he couldn’t.  My point is to temper your expectations which are unrealistic but yes possible.  

44 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Last week several rookie WR had huge games.

Including a guy I was worried we would draft (and made me look like a fool) in Terry McLaurin. He looked really good. I knew he had speed and was said to be a good route runner but after that first game I understand why we were apparently so high on him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

He doesn't need time. He needs the ball thrown his way in space like brown instead of that poorly executed screen. The fact we had no playaction in the second half with mack running great was crazy.

If you don’t think players need time in a system to be effective in it and need time to develop then I don’t know what to tell you.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2019 at 4:48 PM, BProland85 said:

My keys for winning this game include...

1) Having Doyle help chip on the right side helping out Braden Smith against Cameron Wake when he or Harold Landry lines up against him in obvious passing downs. Costanzo and Nelson can lock down the left side.

2) Stop Derrick Henry in the running game.

3) Eliminate screen plays.

4) Establish the run as a threat, so that Brissett doesn't have to completely carry the offense. 

5) Take care of the ball, and make Mariota uncomfortable. 

6) Don't hurt yourself with penalties or giving away points on special teams.

Cameron Wake may be old but he certainly isn't showing it.  He was AFC defensive player of the week with 2.5 sacks (one for a safety) and two tackles for loss.  Last year, Brian Orakpo and Derrick Morgan, two long time Titans linebackers (now retired) didn't have that many combined all season.  Landry is young and learning.  One of these days he'll have his break-out game.  It'll be important since the last time we faced the Colts, Luck could have had a poker game going in the pocket with the amount of time he got.

You may stop Henry in the first quarter or two,  But the plan is to keep him punishing the line and eventually they just won't want to tackle him anymore.  Nearly all of his good games have played out this way.  Of course this only works if the defense keeps the Colts out of the end zone because if the game gets out of hand, any coordinator is going to get pass happy.

It's funny about screen plays....everyone saw the play to Henry last week 75 yards for a TD via a screen.  But the Titans have historically been a lousy screen team.  Jeff Fisher barely ran them.  Hopefully this is changing.  The Titans ran the exact same play to AJ Brown earlier in the game and he dropped the pass.

Both teams have to keep the run under control.  Not sure "stopping" is entirely an option.

Yes, the playbook is always to make Mariota uncomfortable.  But after four years in the league you'd hope that this is less effective a strategy.

The Cleveland game was a ridiculous amount of penalties....most by a Cleveland team since 1951(!).  That's unlikely to happen again but the Titans were the least penalized team in the league last year.  Don't expect them to be sloppy.

• Like 2

I think the defense will continue to get better every game, there are several young talented players that will just figure everything out. The Coaches will coach them up.

Here is where I think the real problem lies. Offense! The play calling is way too conservative, we are too slow, predictable and deliberate. Remember the 2 plays at the end of the first half, 17yds each ball out of Brisset's hand quick. we need more quick slants, screens and pick up the pace and did I mention quick slants WR receiver takes 7 steps and the ball hits him in the chest. Brisset has released ball before he has made his cut. Pull up the film on Peyton and see if this is not true

We have unlimited potential and with a few improvements could be competitive with anyone

My 2cents

10 minutes ago, onebad150 said:

I think the defense will continue to get better every game, there are several young talented players that will just figure everything out. The Coaches will coach them up.

Here is where I think the real problem lies. Offense! The play calling is way too conservative, we are too slow, predictable and deliberate. Remember the 2 plays at the end of the first half, 17yds each ball out of Brisset's hand quick. we need more quick slants, screens and pick up the pace and did I mention quick slants WR receiver takes 7 steps and the ball hits him in the chest. Brisset has released ball before he has made his cut. Pull up the film on Peyton and see if this is not true

We have unlimited potential and with a few improvements could be competitive with anyone

My 2cents

The offense was no way the problem. I agree though we need to open up a little bit. Which I think we will. Last week was a good pass rush and we had the perfect offensive game plan. If we had scored quicker that just put out our bad defense more. The offense had a drive at the end of the first half and the second half that should of resulted in at least six points. Should of been 13 at least with the Ebron pass. 

There was nothing really to complain about with the offense. This is going to be a different team then fans are used to and everyone is just going to have to get used to it. 

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Make Mariota beat you with his arm

win the trench war on offense

limit turnovers and penalties 

tackle better

dont leave points on the field

You could easily be reading this off the Titans bulletin board as well.  This 

could very well be a low scoring game with both defenses having the same

game plan.  Why wouldn't you make JB beat you with his arm.  They will

stack the line and our receivers are going to get jammed early and often.

JB may be forced to throw it deep which you kind of want him to start

getting that experience but it may not be early down plays.  The keys

to this game for me is get JB comfortable throwing the football down

the field while trying to develop some chemistry with Cain and Cambell. The

hope is by the 4th quarter the titans start respecting the passing game and

we strart opening running lanes for or RBs.

If we dont show we can do it this game every team we face is going to

stack the box and make JB beat you. 2nd key to the game. Special teams.

Make our field goals and dont let long returns giving Mariotta a short 

field.

Play the most experienced players early in the game.

Lean on that experience to reign in the early emotions and get the game plans established.

Play focused, play smart and execute one call at a time, for the full 60 minutes, and the these Colts will come out on top of the those Titans...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they put the same person on Hilton they usually do TY could have a big day.  He has done well against the titans secondary. So important to keep Brissett clean so he can get those shots. They also have a guy in the secondary that hates to tackle.

TY Hilton always scares us.  I've yet to see us have a true answer for that guy.  He always plays us well.  But Logan Ryan and Malcolm Butler are very experienced corners with Kevin Byard behind them.  It's probably the best defense we've ever had against that guy.

The Titans' punter isn't just "very good".  I wouldn't have anyone else in the league except for Brett Kern.  He's that good.  Last week's safety was set up because Kern sent a 70 yard bomb straight into the "coffin corner".  And he does this all the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sevenfeet said:

TY Hilton always scares us.  I've yet to see us have a true answer for that guy.  He always plays us well.  But Logan Ryan and Malcolm Butler are very experienced corners with Kevin Byard behind them.  It's probably the best defense we've ever had against that guy.

The Titans' punter isn't just "very good".  I wouldn't have anyone else in the league except for Brett Kern.  He's that good.  Last week's safety was set up because Kern sent a 70 yard bomb straight into the "coffin corner".  And he does this all the time.

The colts punter is actually very good also but not having Milton last week on coverage units showed.  

21 minutes ago, Sevenfeet said:

Yeah, something that wasn't talked about much about the Chargers game is that, especially in the 1st half, we were losing the field position game.

I think that'll be huge tomorrow. I don't like our chances if we get consistently bad field position.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, something that wasn't talked about much about the Chargers game is that, especially in the 1st half, we were losing the field position game.

I think that'll be huge tomorrow. I don't like our chances if we get consistently bad field position.

Last year it was a huge problem also. Not on KR but in PR. That is why we need someone besides Rogers to step up. He doesn’t fumble and is reliable but it seems last year we were always starting at our own ten yard line.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Last year it was a huge problem also. Not on KR but in PR. That is why we need someone besides Rogers to step up. He doesn’t fumble and is reliable but it seems last year we were always starting at our own ten yard line.

Yup. It really does seem like we consistently get put around the 10 yard line on punts.

And I don't know why but it seems like Reich is prone to calling screens closer to our own goal line, they almost always lead to a loss. And then we end up punting and giving back great field position.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Including a guy I was worried we would draft (and made me look like a fool) in Terry McLaurin. He looked really good. I knew he had speed and was said to be a good route runner but after that first game I understand why we were apparently so high on him.

Yea if Campbell's teammate can do that then so can Campbell. 

17 hours ago, Sevenfeet said:

So he's like that chargers punter

My keys to the game....

1. Take the training wheels off of JB

2. Get Cain and/or Campbell on the field with TY as much as possible to diminish double coverage.

3. Don't run Hines between the tackles

4. Dial up the blitz early with a 3 LB package, and keep Mariota off balance. 

5. Good balance on O, but don't be safe with JB

On 9/11/2019 at 11:08 PM, DerekDiggler said:

Their D Will shut us down.  Mariota will score points.  We can’t stop their running game. 

Rub un it in my face if I’m wrong.   Would love to be wrong  

But Titans +10 

Great prediction by you.

Do the forum a favor and "cheer" for a different team.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 10:08 PM, DerekDiggler said:

Their D Will shut us down.  Mariota will score points.  We can’t stop their running game. 

Rub un it in my face if I’m wrong.   Would love to be wrong  

But Titans +10 

Care to comment now?  We can't seem to find you anywhere sir......

On 9/12/2019 at 9:04 PM, Imgrandojji said:

1: Get to Mariota and make him throw on the back foot, keep him moving, and ideally, pick up a couple coverage sacks.  

2: Jacoby has to be efficient and accurate and take advantages of the opportunity given by the D

3: another good day at the office by the running backs.

1: Mission accomplished. Mariota was never comfortable all game

2: Mission accomplished.  It looked a bit ugly but Brissett delivered when it mattered most.

3: mission accomplished.  Mack struggled a bit but the depth picked him up and the RBs were able to help control the time of possession just like Reich preaches

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Care to comment now?  We can't seem to find you anywhere sir......

Oh. I’m here.   I watched the entire game as always Very happy with the results.  I am glad I was wrong on the score.  

Brissett did a decent job.   His scrambling was amazing.  Touch pass to PC was one of the better throws I’ve seen him make. The turnovers I’m not as concerned with.  He had people in his face all day.   He outplayed what his stats show.   Still hold the back too long IMO 

Mack didn’t really do much as I expected.   I predicted 63 yds rushing.   He had 63 combined yards. But at least he actually caught a pass today.   If he can add that aspect into his game I will be a lot less critical.   

Defense didnt look good for most of the game.  Luckily they made some plays to save the game   Autry is good.   Very good   The 3 tech in this D is the position that will get the most sacks.  It’s how it’s designed 

they did play the double A gap scheme with the DTs a bit which helped slow Henry down.  A little.   

Vinny is in trouble.  

If anyone * about the refs then you’re just a homer.  Because we got a lot of calls that went our way.   

Vrabel is not a good coach. 

Tenn is Tenn.   a lot of talent terrible coaching 

glad we won.   I’ll take all the bashing y’all want to dish out.  I’m just not a homer I’m realistic 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Oh. I’m here.   I watched the entire game as always Very happy with the results.  I am glad I was wrong on the score.  

Brissett did a decent job.   His scrambling was amazing.  Touch pass to PC was one of the better throws I’ve seen him make. The turnovers I’m not as concerned with.  He had people in his face all day.   He outplayed what his stats show.   Still hold the back too long IMO 

Mack didn’t really do much as I expected.   I predicted 63 yds rushing.   He had 63 combined yards. But at least he actually caught a pass today.   If he can add that aspect into his game I will be a lot less critical.   

Defense didnt look good for most of the game.  Luckily they made some plays to save the game   Autry is good.   Very good   The 3 tech in this D is the position that will get the most sacks.  It’s how it’s designed 

they did play the double A gap scheme with the DTs a bit which helped slow Henry down.  A little.   

Vinny is in trouble.  

If anyone * about the refs then you’re just a homer.  Because we got a lot of calls that went our way.   

glad we won.   I’ll take all the bashing y’all want to dish out.  I’m just not a homer I’m realistic 

Good on you for owning it.   I think we're going to be a grind it out team for  the foreseeable future.   We're not going to see the 2004 offense.   But we can grind out wins.   One week at a time

10 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Vinny is in trouble.  

Glad you showed up and I already admitted I was wrong regarding the Brissett play, it was a fumble. That was my mistake. They change the rules so much anymore that my mind can't keep up. We won a grinder today so lets be happy for 1 week for a change. I think Brissett should take more deep shots down the field to TY and Campbell. Mack needs some weeks where we do not over use him. He should be fresh for next week.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Glad you showed up and I already admitted I was wrong regarding the Brissett play, it was a fumble. That was my mistake. They change the rules so much anymore that my mind can't keep up. We won a grinder today so lets be happy for 1 week for a change. I think Brissett should take more deep shots down the field to TY and Campbell. Mack needs some weeks where we do not over use him. He should be fresh for next week.

Brissett has a cannon.    We should be throwing deep one or two plays per quarter. At least 3 per half to keep the D honest and possible get a PI like the one in the 1st quarter 

• Like 1