Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keys to the Titans game

Restinpeacesweetchloe

What does everyone think are the keys for a win.

Limit screen plays by running backs 

They have their TE back

Limit AJ Brown 

Adam Humpfries in the slot could kill us

Get pressure on Mariota

Not only is lewan out but they might be without their right guard.

This will be a bigger test for Brissett I think. Their defense I think is better then the chargers. Plus half the fans won’t be colt fans like Sunday.

• Like 1

DEFENSE: Stop the run.

Contain the screen game (Henry is dangerous but Dion Lewis-style backs have been threats to the Colts more over the years).

Play physical.

OFFENSE: Go after their cornerbacks

Play action.

Punish their blitzing.

It'll be a big test but the don't underestimate what he did versus the Chargers...that was a GOOD defense and he played excellently. The Titans will offer a different challenge with probably a lot more blitzing...Luck was a master at handling Tennessee's blitzing, time to see whether Jacoby can punish them too....if he can handle their blitzing, it should be another big Colts win. If he can't, well....brace yourself for a slugfest.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What does everyone think are the keys for a win.

Limit screen plays by running backs 

They have their TE back

Limit AJ Brown 

Adam Humpfries in the slot could kill us

Get pressure on Mariota

Not only is lewan out but they might be without their right guard.

This will be a bigger test for Brissett I think. Their defense I think is better then the chargers. Plus half the fans won’t be colt fans like Sunday.

Stop the run. Keep Mariota in the pocket and make him pass. Not worried about AJ Brown, or any of their receivers really.  Walker is Mariota’s go to guy. Screens should be a focal point this week.

I don’t feel like the Titans D is better than the Chargers. Chargers definitely have better pass rushers. I think our line can win their battles, run blocking and pass blocking, all day. 

Establish the run and short passes on O, but take some shots down the field. Control the tempo.

The Browns gave that game away. Mayfield was gifting them the ball.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blindside said:

Open the play book and show some creativity. 

Dont run Mack into the ground by game two.

Thats about it. Defense is ok. Not much I would change there. They

will get better as the season goes along.

The play book was pretty open in the first game. The offense did what it had to do and was enough to win the game.

The defense is okay? If they play like they did against the Chargers, you can be rest assured that the Colts will get blown out. Book it.

Your assessment of the team is a bit off.

16 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Their D Will shut us down.  Mariota will score points.  We can’t stop their running game. 

Rub un it in my face if I’m wrong.   Would love to be wrong  

But Titans +10 

I'll be here after the game to rub in your face.  You'll be wrong

• Like 3

We'll probably run the ball quite a bit in this one as well..  Difference is I think they include Wilkins. They played Wilkins in both Titans games last year.  I don't think Nyheim played all that much against them.  I think JB gets going with the play action and cuts them deep a couple times.   Oh I just noticed Jonathan Williams just started back practicing this week.  I think either he or Wilkins will get the carries behind Mack. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Stop the run. Keep Mariota in the pocket and make him pass. Not worried about AJ Brown, or any of their receivers really.  Walker is Mariota’s go to guy. Screens should be a focal point this week.

Totally agree with your post. To the bold there were several times Rivers was running around outside the pocket making plays and Mariotta is 100% more dangerous running loose. 

• Like 1

My keys for winning this game include...

1) Having Doyle help chip on the right side helping out Braden Smith against Cameron Wake when he or Harold Landry lines up against him in obvious passing downs. Costanzo and Nelson can lock down the left side.

2) Stop Derrick Henry in the running game.

3) Eliminate screen plays.

4) Establish the run as a threat, so that Brissett doesn't have to completely carry the offense. 

5) Take care of the ball, and make Mariota uncomfortable. 

6) Don't hurt yourself with penalties or giving away points on special teams.

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

My keys for winning this game include...

1) Having Doyle help chip on the right side helping out Braden Smith against Cameron Wake when he or Harold Landry lines up against him in obvious passing downs. Costanzo and Nelson can lock down the left side.

2) Stop Derrick Henry in the running game.

3) Eliminate screen plays.

4) Establish the run as a threat, so that Brissett doesn't have to completely carry the offense. 

5) Take care of the ball, and make Mariota uncomfortable. 

6) Don't hurt yourself with penalties or giving away points on special teams.

Did you notice the huge block Doyle had on one of Mack’s runs. I don’t know if it was the 64 yarder or another one. He is so important to this team.

I think we need to be trying strike and put up points as soon as possible. Stick with the run like we did in the game that got us in the playoffs last year, but also look to strike down the field. We need to get on top of these guys early. It's the best way to pull the Titans out of their focus of running the football and play action.  We need to come out early looking for chunk plays.  Same thing  we did with Andrew last year, strike early and force them to start passing.   What they want do is sit on the rock and ride Derrick Henry and hit passes off of what they do in the running game.  Can't focus on that too much if we take them out of it early.

• Like 2

I think our game plan will probably be similar to this one as I'm sitting here watching it:

Make em play out of their nickel defense on most drives to cut out all that blitzing.  Spread em out,  mix up the run and the pass out of shotgun.  Go back under center occasionaly on short yardage pick ups.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think our game plan will probably be similar to this one:

Very well could be. Try and get the big lead then ride Mack in the second half. If they get the ball first we must stop them like we did the chargers that first drive. They might expect us to come out running and maybe we do the opposite. 

I'm almost certain we are going to run a similar game plan as last year.  If you get them in their nickel and dime defenses they really don't have any pass rushers that scare you outside of maybe Cameron Wake and I'm sure it won't hurt us too bad at times to go max protect and leave a tight end over there to help Braden Smith out with him.  They don't really have anybody else that's going to cause you major problems.  If they are in nickel and dime most likely they are going to have to blitz DBs which leaves holes in the defense for us to exploit with screens, slants, crossing routes,  running back passes and what not.  I think last years game plan with a few wrinkles would work fine.

• Like 1

This has pretty much been our formula against Tenn on offense:

No Huddle 1 back or Complete Spread with no back.  Most of the time it's one back and we've run and passed/zone read play pass a lot from that look. When we go under center its almost always a run or a play pass. 

These are the approaches I've seen us incorporate to stymie Tenn from blitzing us into kingdom come.  Same thing I think will be effective for JB even this year. We stay with the same formula and I think JB gets it done against these boys.

I almost never saw us just line up under center and hike the ball 3 5 or 7 step drop. It always had a play pass element to it to slow the rush down and suck the linebackers up.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 9:13 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Hopefully with Cain getting more snaps beside TY that will add some speed and open things up more. I hope we see more of Campbell.

Looking forward to seeing those 3 on the field at the same time. Funch will be missed no doubt about it, but getting the youngins goin at a high level will be scary for defenses. No more double teams for TY. If we can make Mariota try to beat us, I like our chances. Taking down Henry all afternoon will be a challenge though.

• Like 1

First or last place in the division is on the line.  its early but cant go down 2.5 games to the team with the easiest schedule 

the line backers need to bounce back, they were bad in LA.  was glad to see Mack get more carries, but 25 is a lot.  

Good game planning,  without Andrew our head coach is probably our best asset.  Another strong O line performance.  Much sharper D, including continued QB pressure and solid tackling over big play attempts.  Stop the run and extensions there of.  Henry might kill us, but if they're going to beat us I say make Marcus do it.  And last weeks flop "Weekend at Vinny's" cant get a sequel or, unfortunately, the week 3 feature might be "Weekend at Vinny's III:  Vinny's Day Off....."

The key to the Colts winning this game is for none of them to be as nervous as I am just thinking about it...

nervous spongebob gif GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Yes we have become very accustomed to beating the Titans... but they are coming off of the only win in our division in week 1, plus it will be their home game opener with a hype crowd. We are coming off of a stinging loss.  I do not doubt what we are capable of but I am just hoping the ENTIRE TEAM *hint hint Vinny* will play top-notch. This is a statement game for sure!

• Like 2