Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl win still possible

ThorstenDenmark

Well I just looked into some statistics and 9 super bowl champions have lost the 1st game of the season, so we still have a chance ;) 

But no team have ever lost their first two games, so it's a must win game against the Titans sunday.

I just think the Titans defence is too good for us to win, because they played really well week 1.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I always felt the ceiling for this current team with the current QB and schedule is 8-8. Let us see how it plays out. Till then, don't talk to me about playoffs....playoffs???...you kidding me??? :) 

If we go 8-8 it won’t be because of the QB. It will be because the defense isn’t as good as we thought.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we go 8-8 it won’t be because of the QB. It will be because the defense isn’t as good as we thought.

I don't know, there could be a whole host of reasons we finish .500 (or below). Injuries being the biggie. Plus we don't have a crystal ball for how Brissett will perform the rest of the year. I think people who were predicting a top 5 defense were being a little unrealistic. I'm thinking more like top half of the league, hopefully.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hmmm...Luck or Peyton had that extra gear or ceiling that got us 2-4 games each year that made the difference between a wild card and a division winner several times, IMO. I am yet to see that "special ceiling" in Brissett, but would be glad to be corrected with his play. 

I don't think we are strong enough on D like the 2001 Patriots or 2013 Seahawks that we can win around just good QB play (Brady got better as time went on). Good QB play will get us to .500 with our current roster, we are not there yet with our front 7, IMO.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hmmm...Luck or Peyton had that extra gear or ceiling that got us 2-4 games each year that made the difference between a wild card and a division winner several times, IMO. I am yet to see that "special ceiling" in Brissett, but would be glad to be corrected with his play. 

I don't think we are strong enough on D like the 2001 Patriots or 2013 Seahawks that we can win around just good QB play (Brady got better as time went on). Good QB play will get us to .500 with our current roster, we are not there yet with our front 7, IMO.

Well it’s going to show how good this defense is. If it is weak we will have to fix it in the off-season if we go 8-8. We are building a team. We aren’t going to be QB centric anymore 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not sure how you can say that after only one game.   Brissett did not look “good”. He looked average.     No he didn’t lose  the game but he was in no way the reason for the comeback either 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Well I just looked into some statistics and 9 super bowl champions have lost the 1st game of the season, so we still have a chance ;) 

But no team have ever lost their first two games, so it's a must win game against the Titans sunday.

I just think the Titans defence is too good for us to win, because they played really well week 1.

That’s what he Dolphins are hanging their hopes on   “THERE’S STILL A CHANCE”

1 hour ago, DerekDiggler said:

Not sure how you can say that after only one game.   Brissett did not look “good”. He looked average.     No he didn’t lose  the game but he was in no way the reason for the comeback either 

Brissett  was great. Should have had 3 tds. Frank Reich  was too conservative  with play calling. Hopefully  this week they take the training  wheels  off the offense 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I always felt the ceiling for this current team with the current QB and schedule is 8-8. Let us see how it plays out. Till then, don't talk to me about playoffs....playoffs???...you kidding me??? :) 

We hear you Jim, we hear you!

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

There defense isn't unbeatable Cleveland had plays open there o-line sucks bad enough it didn't matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Brissett  was great. Should have had 3 tds. Frank Reich  was too conservative  with play calling. Hopefully  this week they take the training  wheels  off the offense 

I agree I thought the o looked pretty impressive.  I know the playcalling was conservative but I dont think it was too conservative.  It was measured and controlled and it was more than "enough to win".  Things just didnt break the colts way in week 1. Two key penalties (one of which apparently was worthy of official NFL apology), Ebrons drop, the kicking game, poor D in critical situations (which I'm confident will improve).......any one of those plays breaks for the colts this was a W. We were literally one play away and had several stabs at a W in regulation.   I liked seeing a team with an balanced offensive identity forming.  Without the need for one player to put up "star wars numbers" (ok maybe mack did).   This is the vision Irsay had in '12 and people lost bladder control when he tried (maybe poorly) to articulate it. Idk about playoffs or superbowls but I do feel like the colts are in great hands post Luck era.  A real foundation is being laid here, it something to be excited about, and it will lead to perennial greatness.

• Like 4

I'd honestly be ecstatic just getting to the playoffs honestly (real talk), that playoff drought sucked. I don't take it for granted, even all the 'one n done' seasons are vivid memories when you look back.

I truly believe in this new NFL that anything's possible. Other then NE being in the mix, the teams at the top change quickly nowadays.

Injuries happen to key players on teams, guys just have bad seasons and retirements (sorry), % happens basically.

We were, on paper, going to be considered front runners, that changed quick.

Can't wait for our division games. It's nice getting in, you've got a shot at least.

59 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Sumo63, I think aBout Irsays vision a lot and I think it is being realized right before our eyes as well. The main difference is we grow our own and BB rents his own except for his core guys.

Both, if done properly, equal a constant influx of talent.  More importantly that talent wont have to be a cover for substandard coaching or drafting.  Ballard said eventually we'd be the ones cutting talent that lesser teams would pick up.  Making those kind roster decisions is an indication of organizational health.  We're right there, couple more years maybe.  This is gonna be a great franchise again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Come on man.   He was FAR from great.  Slightly below  Average is what I see 

He was solid...but great is a bit extreme. No QB is great throwing for 7 yards/catch is great. And while he did make that real nice throw to Ebron...the 2nd Hilton TD was all TY and shoddy tackling...it was just a dump off pass.

My hope is that Reich takes off the training wheels the next couple of weeks. I don't really see any reason to be measured and conservative with JB for much longer. I get that there is ramp up time (like any season)...but this is an opportunity to see if he can be the guy for a while. And when you are putting together a group of good young talent...it's better to find that out sooner than later...lest you waste valuable (cheap) years from those players. 

Playing conservatively on offense and hanging in there only to finish with 6-7 or even 8 wins won't get them where they need to be IMO. It's as if people don't remember 2015 and Hasselback leading them to an 8-8 record...yet with JB it would somehow be better.

Eventually the Colts will run into a team that can stop run...and that is where we will get to see if JB shines or not.  

7 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

That was play calling  holding  him back. He can make all the throws and completing 77 percent of passes isn't  average.  That's  elite. Once they start calling plays down the field Brissett  will be a top five qb.

7 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Well..,you certainly took my comment to another level.

Yeah, my comment was tongue in cheek.   

We shouldn't underestimate the importance of this Titans game.  If we go 0-2 and are 2 games behind the Titans in the division, the hole is huge.   

9 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

I missed this comment until I seen Jvan quote you.

Did you sleep through the game?

21 of 27 with 2 TD's and no INT's with a QB rating above 120.   That is great or near great.   Below average?   It looks like you have it out for Brissett and and letting your bias rule your thoughts.   

Even those who are not certain Brissett will go good can admit he had a good game.  I'm not sold on him and I admit it.   I don't think he will be a top 10 QB in the league, but if he can be top 15, we can make that work.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

I missed this comment until I seen Jvan quote you.

Did you sleep through the game?

21 of 27 with 2 TD's and no INT's with a QB rating above 120.   That is great or near great.   Below average?   It looks like you have it out for Brissett and and letting your bias rule your thoughts.   

Even those who are not certain Brissett will go good can admit he had a good game.  I'm not sold on him and I admit it.   I don't think he will be a top 10 QB in the league, but if he can be top 15, we can make that work.   

The support around him has to come through in a big way to win the division. This Titans game will actually be a very good test, their D is a good one and their run game is a good one. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Gee, the 7th rated performance, big time clutch throws late in the game, no int.
  It is ok to just not Get It, or have an agenda.
 The confidence he earned from Reich showed in the 4th quarter.
 He didn't look good when it counted, he looked Very Good. 
Don't be a joke.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Kevin Bowen said if JB plays the way he did Sunday and the colts go 6-10 that Eberflus should be fired not get a new QB.

Funny how you can go from darling new coach to be on the chopping block in an instant. Let us cross the bridge if it happens. Ballard didn't invest in enough meat in the middle of the DL either, so there is enough blame to go around, it is not just Eberflus, IMO, if the D underperforms.