Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DL Workouts

NorthernColt

38 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Saw we worked out Mike Pennell and Earl Mitchell yesterday, both big NT types. For the supposed depth we have on the DL, I would say they aren't happy with the run defense last week. Should be interesting to hear Reich on Lewis today too.

any sources?

37 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Saw we worked out Mike Pennell and Earl Mitchell yesterday, both big NT types. For the supposed depth we have on the DL, I would say they aren't happy with the run defense last week. Should be interesting to hear Reich on Lewis today too.

I stated before the first game that the DL looked to light across the line. I think it showed in the Chargers game.  I don’t think it’s as bad as 2005, but Autry is like 270-275lbs. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I stated before the first game that the DL looked to light across the line. I think it showed in the Chargers game.  I don’t think it’s as bad as 2005, but Autry is like 270-275lbs. 

Yeah I agree. I know they want more speed and pass rush ability. Our inside guys are all pretty good pass rushers in their own right, but like you said, it's a relatively light group. Missing that big NT, like we had with Al Woods.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I'm surprised they don't have Stewart and Hunt starting.  Hunt demands double teams and Stewart is quick enough to plug the holes and help prevent the counters and cutbacks.

48 minutes ago, krunk said:

They need another Al Woods type to go along with Hunt and Stewart.  They don't really need Ward.  We've got enough penetrators on the inside between Autry and Lewis.  

Ward had 13 snaps with a grade of 76. Autry was at 47.
 And i believe Ward now outweighs Lewis by close to 30lbs.
 If Lewis weighs in the 250's as i think i witnessed, he will have trouble getting out of the doghouse.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

They need another Al Woods type to go along with Hunt and Stewart.  They don't really need Ward.  We've got enough penetrators on the inside between Autry and Lewis.  

Ward is heavier than Lewis and better at playing inside than Lewis, I'm pretty sure that's why Lewis was a scratch last weekend.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

If Lewis weighs in the 250's as i think i witnessed, he will have trouble getting out of the doghouse.

He doesn't weigh 250 so stop with the nonsense

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Ward is heavier than Lewis and better at playing inside than Lewis, I'm pretty sure that's why Lewis was a scratch last weekend.

He's had that knee injury as far as I know.  They say he's healthy now but who knows with a knee injury. 

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

The 250-260s weight for Lewis is baseless.

Listed at NFL combine at 266, last year with the team at 269. Is only 24 years old, an age where the human body naturally builds muscle, even for a couch potato. Colts.com lists him at 277. Doubt he's lost any weight at that age, unless one's going through chemo.

28 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

If anything, possibly cut. We have a lot of D linemen and if we sign either of these guys we worked out, he could be the odd man out.

That's what I was alluding to earlier.  We need an extra big body and they are probably going to sign one of the guys they just worked out.  I figured it would be Ward who they let go.   We have 2 good 3 Tech and Hunt can be used there also.  Lewis is probably ready to play now. 

Mike Pennel or Zach Kerr would be a good add (not being funny with the latter).

He had a pretty good last season at 33 tackles, 1.5 sacks.

Would have liked to add EARLIER in the offseason Muhammed Wilkerson or Bennie Logan, but I think it's safe to say that both are horribly washed up and past their primes now, and likely horribly out of shape ala Robert Nkemdiche and unable to run 10 yards.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wonder what’s going on with Ward.

I find it hard to believe that Ballard would just cut him at this point and receive nothing.   I can see a trade as the most likely option.  Maybe for a backup RB or OL.  Even a pick is something in return.  He did make our roster after all.  

8 hours ago, MPStack said:

Yeah back then during the dungy era we had a starting DT weighing at 250 lbs

8 hours ago, MPStack said:

Listed at 6'5'' 285, if anyone's undersized he would not be one to be concerned about. He looks about that weight too, up from 270 last year; currently has very similar build to Malik Jackson's 290 lbs.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:42 AM, NorthernColt said:

Yeah...a few of us were saying the Colts needed a big NT type a long time ago but were told by others that Colts were fine.  Figured it would take a good butt kicking for Ballard and others to eventually see the light. Good luck actually finding some one good this late in the game. When we coulda moved...we didn’t. 

9 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah...a few of us were saying the Colts needed a big NT type a long time ago but were told by others that Colts were fine.  Figured it would take a good butt kicking for Ballard and others to eventually see the light. Good luck actually finding some one good this late in the game. When we coulda moved...we didn’t. 

I think safeties can be a big part in stopping the run game.  Look how bad the colts were in the run game when sanders didn’t play in 2006. I still think we need a hard hitting star SS. Collins would of been big as a FA.