Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AB accused of rape

csmopar

7 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

But we as a society just have to be able to let these things play out and understand we dont have to have an opinion or make a determination, right away. We can afford to be patient. There is nothing on the line here, for us. 

There is for the league, though. They will investigate on their own. The league (not team) determines Commisioners Exempt list.  They developed it because of the backlash that players would play without repercussion while the legal process dragged on and required a beyond reasonable doubt verdict.  The League only goes by the preponderance of the evidence standard. Is it more likely he did it (suspension) or not.So at what point does Goodell step in?  That’s what is on the line near term.

I just have sisters, one of whom was raped years ago. And I know how it changed her, forever, and not for the better. It a horrific experience for anyone to live thru, man or woman, and my heart goes out to every legit rape victim there has ever been. My heart also goes out to anyone who has been wrongfully accused.

Sorry, I know of three. :(

Criminal case will be hard to prove. He said/she said case with zero physical evidence that we know of. Unless there is text or email between the two discussing it, the burden of proof is gonna be hard to prove.  

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Civil court has a much lower threshold as in civil court, reasonable suspicion is enough to warrant awarding on behalf of the plaintiff 

Same burden of proof the NFL requires. More likely than not. So when does exempt list come into potential use?  We know the level for. Suspension.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Yeah, he should fit in pretty well out there with Deflating Tom, Cheatin’ Bill, sex-trafficking Kraft, etc.  They should have. Ring of Dishonor in their stadium with all-time greats like Murderin’ Hernandez, Dirty Rodney, etc.

Did the Patriots ask him about the potential for things like this? If so, did he lie to them and say No?  I’m sure he’ll be asked to talk to the league, and the NFL will reach out to the trainer, then go from there.

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There is for the league, though. They will investigate on their own. The league (not team) determines Commisioners Exempt list.  They developed it because of the backlash that players would play without repercussion while the legal process dragged on and required a beyond reasonable doubt verdict.  The League only goes by the preponderance of the evidence standard. Is it more likely he did it (suspension) or not.So at what point does Goodell step in?  That’s what is on the line near term.

Sorry, I know of three. :(

Same burden of proof the NFL requires. More likely than not. So when does exempt list come into potential use?  We know the level for. Suspension.

Did the Patriots ask him about the potential for things like this? If so, did he lie to them and say No?  I’m sure he’ll be asked to talk to the league, and the NFL will reach out to the trainer, then go from there.

All valid points. I think Goodell will have to put him on the exempt list pending the investigation and if history is any indication, he'll take that move sometime in the very near future.

12 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Ah, there it is. I was wondering how long it would take for this opinion to appear. Stop victim blaming. This is why women don't come out with rape accusations until much later. If this is true, you know full well why she didn't do anything.

I bet people still will want to sign him.

I think the idea that someone accusing someone of a pretty serious crime shouldn't have to answer any questions is completely wrong.  Accusations hurt people's lives.  With our technology an accusation of any sort will stay with you forever, even if evidence later conclusively shows you were not guilty.  If you are going to make an accusation you at least need to answer basic questions about what/when/how and then address anything that seems inconsistent with logic.  

That said when I have read about what happened it doesn't seem entirely odd what she did.  She was forcibly kissed once, then another time he engaged in a sex act in her presence that I don't want to get too detailed about.  She stopped working with him after that 2nd occurance.  The third time he called her wanting to meet her and apologize but instead came and raped her.

So that's not my question, to me that seems normal for a person who wants to forgive others. 

The bigger question I would have is why go straight to a civil suit.

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

If you and you attorney feel you have enough evidence to convince a judge or jury panel the the accused probably committed the act with >50.1% assurance.

Criminal trials require enough evidence to convince the Jury or Judge the accused is guilty without any question.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

League is going to be investigating. If they think there is anything to it they could put him on the commissioners exempt list.

I knew they would, mentioned it above. They’ll conclude their verdict well before the justice system.  I wonder if/when they use the exempt list at some point, and when they conclude a suspension is or is not in order.

Also if Pats take action on AB if he never informed them if asked about looming issues.

Doesn't the CBA mandate that in the case of serious allegations of assault/violence that AB be placed on the exempt list while the case is in court? Just wondering if that is the reason the league is considering it.

If the Pats suspend him during this, they are on the hook for the money but retain his rights, unless they cut him. To be honest, the Pats will be fine without AB, considering how well their D's depth is, IMO.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If you and you attorney feel you have enough evidence to convince a judge or jury panel the the accused probably committed the act with >50.1% assurance.

Criminal trials require enough evidence to convince the Jury or Judge the accused is guilty without any question.

That's possible.  

The problem I have is that if the only evidence she has of this whole thing is her word, she might win off that alone because AB doesn't seem like a very reliable source right now.  

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I seriously believe that Vontaze Burfict's hits on AB and all the head shots he took as a Steeler in that physical division might have impacted him. It is just the last few years he seems to have gone off the rails, at least publicly.

Been citing CTE for a bit. I agree. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Doesn't the CBA mandate that in the case of serious allegations of assault/violence that AB be placed on the exempt list while the case is in court? Just wondering if that is the reason the league is considering it.

Yes, easy to place him on it if an arrest was made.  Since this a Federal Lawsuit (with no arrest currently), Goodell may put him on it (paid leave) anyway pending the outcome.

56 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If the Pats suspend him during this, they are on the hook for the money but retain his rights, unless they cut him. To be honest, the Pats will be fine without AB, considering how well their D's depth is, IMO.

I now hear Pats had no knowledge.  Next Q, did they even inquire if there was anything for them to be aware of, and he lied?

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think the idea that someone accusing someone of a pretty serious crime shouldn't have to answer any questions is completely wrong.  Accusations hurt people's lives.  With our technology an accusation of any sort will stay with you forever, even if evidence later conclusively shows you were not guilty.  If you are going to make an accusation you at least need to answer basic questions about what/when/how and then address anything that seems inconsistent with logic.  

That said when I have read about what happened it doesn't seem entirely odd what she did.  She was forcibly kissed once, then another time he engaged in a sex act in her presence that I don't want to get too detailed about.  She stopped working with him after that 2nd occurance.  The third time he called her wanting to meet her and apologize but instead came and raped her.

So that's not my question, to me that seems normal for a person who wants to forgive others. 

I'm a very forgiving person, but I'm not forgiving you and hanging out at your house :edit:

This woman is a dumb person.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm a very forgiving person, but I'm not forgiving you and hanging out at your house if :edit:

This woman is a dumb person.

I question this as well. But if the texts show he did in fact rape her, all that is a wash

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's possible.  

The problem I have is that if the only evidence she has of this whole thing is her word, she might win off that alone because AB doesn't seem like a very reliable source right now.  

If the text recordings are accurate, he's screwed

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

His accuser said she will be willing to meet with the nfl. Those texts if real are just gross.

Haven't read them, don't want too but I can only imagine.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I seriously believe that Vontaze Burfict's hits on AB and all the head shots he took as a Steeler in that physical division might have impacted him. It is just the last few years he seems to have gone off the rails, at least publicly.

Whether it's CTE or whatever, there's no question some sort of mental illness is going on

There are plenty of recent examples of money, power and celebrity perverting justice.  Just look at the Epstein case.

People who have a hold over your career sometimes abuse that power.  Look at the Weinstein case.

And yet, every time we have an NFL player accused like this, people question the woman.

I don't know any men who would do this and I don't know any women who would falsely accuse a man of this just for money.  False reporting is a crime.......but even that is subject to money and power. Look at the Smollet case.

And men who pay for trafficked women get away with it because their privacy was violated.

It's all very depressing and discouraging.

The time and reason and the way she filed charges are all credible to me.  I don't know if it's true and he's innocent until proven guilty. I doubt she prevails just based on how these things typically go.

I am so weary of women being abused. Nothing changes

• Like 5

People, I know this is news but remember this is a family friendly board.  Just because a graphic text is somewhere on the internet doesn't mean that it can be posted here.  So, use your judgement when posting to this thread or we'll have to close it

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Nadine said:

There are plenty of recent examples of money, power and celebrity perverting justice.  Just look at the Epstein case.

People who have a hold over your career sometimes abuse that power.  Look at the Weinstein case.

And yet, every time we have an NFL player accused like this, people question the woman.

I don't know any men who would do this and I don't know any women who would falsely accuse a man of this just for money.  False reporting is a crime.......but even that is subject to money and power. Look at the Smollet case.

And men who pay for trafficked women get away with it because their privacy was violated.

It's all very depressing and discouraging.

The time and reason and the way she filed charges are all credible to me.  I don't know if it's true and he's innocent until proven guilty. I doubt she prevails just based on how these things typically go.

I am so weary of women being abused. Nothing changes

You make a lot of good points.

The problem with alot of these  she said/he said cases, unless there are credible eye witnesses, it's just that.....she said/he said.

My point is, just because someone makes an accusation, does not mean it's true.

And just because he denies it, does not make him innocent.

Sometimes the details are suspect. 

This happening has made it easy for the Pats to cut him and NOT pay him all his guaranteed money. Matter fact the contract says anything brings a bad image or press to the club or coach nullifies his guaranteed money.  (True or not I say this nullifies his guarantee)

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

You make a lot of good points.

The problem with alot of these  she said/he said cases, unless there are credible eye witnesses, it's just that.....she said/he said.

My point is, just because someone makes an accusation, does not mean it's true.

And just because he denies it, does not make him innocent.

Sometimes the details are suspect. 

It is hard to prove......but even when it's easy to prove it's hard to get justice. I don't know what happened in this case.  Nobody does, at least that I'm aware of.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

:edit:

It is hard to know whose side is credible and believable but this article does give more insight about the woman speaking out. I will send you an article via PM that might shed a little more on the human that is Britney Taylor instead of just being demonized as a "money grabber". 

Mods, feel free to delete this article if you need to but here it is, gives me a little better perspective on that girl.

Mod Note: This link includes some offensive content.  Don't click through if you don't want to view such content

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/09/britney-taylor/

22 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Ah, there it is. I was wondering how long it would take for this opinion to appear. Stop victim blaming. This is why women don't come out with rape accusations until much later. If this is true, you know full well why she didn't do anything.

Gramz asked legitimate questions any logical person would want answered. It’s not like she asked how many sexual partners she’s had or how she dresses.

22 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Let's not act that women haven't made false claims.   Step off your high horse.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JimJaime said:

This happening has made it easy for the Pats to cut him and NOT pay him all his guaranteed money. Matter fact the contract says anything brings a bad image or press to the club or coach nullifies his guaranteed money.  (True or not I say this nullifies his guarantee)

Good point. I was certain his contract had language to protect the team and was going to mention the Pats could back away and not incur financial responsibility in so doing. 

I like how people are so concerned with false accusations, but they have no problem throwing accusations around because the initial reports strike them as a little odd. Accusing a woman of lying about rape, if she was actually raped, is every bit as low as accusing someone of rape who isn't guilty of it. In a lot of ways, more, because you're attacking a true victim, someone who has been thru a traumatic event like a sexual assault.

Take the Epstein case for example, some of the same people who take that hard line have zero issue including Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, Donald Trump or basically anyone who associated with the guy in any way into the accusations. Its ugliness all the way around.

I am fine with whatever you decide to do, but dont be a hypocrite and pick and choose your argument based on the situation and what suits you. You cant be mad at people making false accusations if you're prone to doing the same yourself. And you cant judge everyone else's morality without looking at your own.

I would encourage people to read the texts. 

For one, they sound just like his twitter. He even misspells "lien" (lying) just like he does on his social media accounts. 

Two, its pretty easy to prove they are real/fake, which makes me skeptical of them being fake. Her attorney would check authenticity before attaching his name to them and using them as evidence.

Three, he not only admits to sexual assault in those texts, he laughs about it. It's truly disgusting the way he talks in the texts, aside from the victim and her actions. But there seems to be far more questions about her actions for some reason.

She can be guilty of being an * and still be a victim.

She could've even had bad intentions, herself. Doesnt mean she can be sexually assaulted or raped.

She could be the biggest slag who ever lived. It doesnt matter. What he describes doing to her in those texts is much, much worse than that.

Right is right. Wrong is wrong. And if those texts are truly Antonio Brown, he should never have the privilege of playing in the NFL, ever again. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U get raped , u r a victim and the rapists deserves to b punished. U go back to that same person  and he rapes u again!!  U r no longer a victim, you r part of the problem and I no longer sympathize with u. 

nonsense

You clearly havent done any research what so ever, because that is not what she claimed at all. 

She claims she was raped ONCE. She claimed she was sexually assaulted once before that. The sexual assault wasnt what most people would think of when hearing the term "sexual assault". The original incident sounded pretty harmless (an unwanted kiss), and wouldn't qualify as either, in my opinion. The incidents escalated over time, according to her. She also apparently has known Antonio Brown since college and had a fairly close relationship with him, over a period of years, before any of this happened. He apparently knew her mother, which indicates a fairly close relationship to me.

I am glad you posted because you're a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Done ZERO research, yet have a very strong opinion based of some sort of gut feeling.

Is it too much to ask for people to at least gather all the facts before making a judgement call? Isn't that just the wise thing to do? Do people care if they sound ignorant anymore? Is being intellectually lazy ok now? Is it that hard to type out the word YOU? Most people shorten long words not 2 letter words like be or 3 letter words like are and you.

Geez!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

nonsense

You clearly havent done any research what so ever, because that is not what she claimed at all. 

She claims she was raped ONCE. She claimed she was sexually assaulted once before that. The sexual assault wasnt what most people would think of when hearing the term "sexual assault". The original incident sounded pretty harmless (an unwanted kiss), and wouldn't qualify as either, in my opinion. The incidents escalated over time, according to her. She also apparently has known Antonio Brown since college and had a fairly close relationship with him, over a period of years, before any of this happened. He apparently knew her mother, which indicates a fairly close relationship to me.

I am glad you posted because you're a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Done ZERO research, yet have a very strong opinion based of some sort of gut feeling.

Is it too much to ask for people to at least gather all the facts before making a judgement call? Isn't that just the wise thing to do? Do people care if they sound ignorant anymore? Is being intellectually lazy ok now? Is it that hard to type out the word YOU? Most people shorten long words not 2 letter words like be or 3 letter words like are and you.

Geez!

I think her story is probably true.   

I also think she is one dumb woman.   Gets sexually assaulted twice by a guy and still goes to his house to hang out with him.   She may be a victim, but she shouldn't be the poster person for victims.   

9 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I like how people are so concerned with false accusations, but they have no problem throwing accusations around because the initial reports strike them as a little odd. Accusing a woman of lying about rape, if she was actually raped, is every bit as low as accusing someone of rape who isn't guilty of it. In a lot of ways, more, because you're attacking a true victim, someone who has been thru a traumatic event like a sexual assault.

I would encourage people to read the texts. 

Right is right. Wrong is wrong. And if those texts are truly Antonio Brown, he should never have the privilege of playing in the NFL, ever again. 

I admit, after reading more on this case, it certainly paints a picture of guilt on his part.

No one, I repeat, no one deserves to be raped, Ever.   

I am wondering if more women will now come forward with accusations related to him. We've seen it happen time and time again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think her story is probably true.   

I also think she is one dumb woman.   Gets sexually assaulted twice by a guy and still goes to his house to hang out with him.   She may be a victim, but she shouldn't be the poster person for victims.   

To me, the original church counsel and others she confided in, their testimony will also be key in establishing this case. She may have gotten advice but went against it, not sure. 

If you look at women in domestic violence situations, they stay in due to either insecurity or low self esteem or lack of other options, it is not easy as fleeing the situation for them. If there are kids in the situation, it makes it worse.

To extrapolate to this situation, if the woman suffers from any kind of insecurity or low self esteem, her actions of going back to AB after an initial inappropriate incident do not make her appealing or easy to rationalize. At least it will be, for the analytical guy that is not as emotional, but it still does not mean we end up dismissing what happened. Different women react in different ways to adversity or crap that happens to them. Some women cry, other women get mad, other women just don't want to deal with the situation again and give cold shoulders, some women put up with more crap than you know, just cannot broad brush with one expectation, IMO.

I would just wait till the facts come out.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:33 AM, shakedownstreet said:

Both reasonable statements. But anyone who works in or knows about sex crimes knows that victims often don't come forward because they blame themselves.

I am aware of that. In fact, most women I know have told me that they have experienced some form of sexual "abuse" (for lack of a better term). Whether it be someone inappropriately touching or fondling them all the way up to rape. Many do not report anything, even to those close to them.

In the post that you quoted, I did not ask why she had not reported it. I may not have either.  I wrote that if that had occurred to me, there is no way I would allow him into my home or be alone with him for fear that it would happen again. (I'm a woman.) 

• Like 1

The one thing I find odd is, IF she was raped why not go to the police and press charges? Only been a couple years.. why do a civil lawsuit?

i would thinknif your going get the public scrutiny at least make the person pay criminally as well.. am I wrong thinking it’s weird?