Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

End overtime games except for the playoffs . . .


Recommended Posts

in High School, College and Pro.   What's wrong with a tie?  Neither team loses, the underdog is happy they could get a tie, the favorite is relieved they didn't lose.  When you have the OT, the stronger team usually wins.  If a team doesn't want to tie, go for two after the TD late in the game.  It would reduce injuries from fatigue.   Personally, I hate to lose more than I enjoy winning, a tie is a relief.  The NFL had ties for many decades, it never prevented championships.  LSU won a National title with two ties one year, Tom Osborne and Bobby Bowden both lost a national title going for two.  The Colts won Super Bowl 5 when they had a tie in the regular season.  We still have ties in the pros almost every year, let's just end regular season overtimes.  So, anyone agree with me???

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree to do away with OT in the NFL under the current OT rules.  For a team to force an overtime and not potentially be given the chance of one possession is crazy.  The OT shouldn't be an instant advantage to the team winning the coin toss.  If they do score a TD, then give the other team one possession to tie it again, or go for 2 to win it.

 

When they changed from the sudden death OT for either team to win by scoring first, they didn't help any by adopting the current set up.  Team winning the coin toss can't win the game automatically if they kick a FG and the other team gets a possession.  Why not do the same for the team that scores a TD after winning the coin toss.  I guess they figured scoring a TD is more difficult and the team should be rewarded for that.

 

They should do the same at all levels and give each team an opportunity to win in OT.

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, red14 said:

in High School, College and Pro.   What's wrong with a tie?  Neither team loses, the underdog is happy they could get a tie, the favorite is relieved they didn't lose.  When you have the OT, the stronger team usually wins.  If a team doesn't want to tie, go for two after the TD late in the game.  It would reduce injuries from fatigue.   Personally, I hate to lose more than I enjoy winning, a tie is a relief.  The NFL had ties for many decades, it never prevented championships.  LSU won a National title with two ties one year, Tom Osborne and Bobby Bowden both lost a national title going for two.  The Colts won Super Bowl 5 when they had a tie in the regular season.  We still have ties in the pros almost every year, let's just end regular season overtimes.  So, anyone agree with me???

The bolded is exactly the reason there is overtime to determine which is the stronger team.

 

No one has ever claimed a tie prevents championships or that a team with a tie during the regular season cannot win a championship, that entire string of babble has nothing to do with playing in OT.  Whether it's high school, college, NFL or pop warner, the reason to play the game is to determine the winner.  If one is not determined in regulation they have OT to see if that makes a difference. Your comment about a tie being a relief shows you do not really hate losing.  A tie is a loss because it's not a win and I guarantee you, if you polled every NFL player and coach, they all consider a tie the same as a loss.

 

Of all the things to whine about... what's next, do a poll at the beginning of the season and the top 6 teams from the polls are in the playoffs.  The rest just get to work on improving for the next year so they can increase their standing in the polls?  

 

I'll step down now, I'm just tired of all these ideas to to turn sissify football.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i think they should get rid of ties and overtime, at least for the regular season.

 

last team to score should win.  some video games do that, it keeps things pretty exciting until the very end.  a double zero tie could still be possible 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I agree to do away with OT in the NFL under the current OT rules.  For a team to force an overtime and not potentially be given the chance of one possession is crazy.  The OT shouldn't be an instant advantage to the team winning the coin toss.  If they do score a TD, then give the other team one possession to tie it again, or go for 2 to win it.

 

When they changed from the sudden death OT for either team to win by scoring first, they didn't help any by adopting the current set up.  Team winning the coin toss can't win the game automatically if they kick a FG and the other team gets a possession.  Why not do the same for the team that scores a TD after winning the coin toss.  I guess they figured scoring a TD is more difficult and the team should be rewarded for that.

 

They should do the same at all levels and give each team an opportunity to win in OT.

 

The whole idea of the sudden death OT and even the current OT rules is to make OT a non desirable consequence.  The NFL and the teams would much rather a game be decided in regulation.  If teams know that, no matter what, they will get a chance in OT then there is no incentive to do the things that make the game exciting in the later stages of the 4th quarter.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i think they should get rid of ties and overtime, at least for the regular season.

 

last team to score should win.  some video games do that, it keeps things pretty exciting until the very end.  a double zero tie could still be possible 

That is kind of what sudden death OT was.

 

Why not just say the first team to 24 points wins?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The whole idea of the sudden death OT and even the current OT rules is to make OT a non desirable consequence.  The NFL and the teams would much rather a game be decided in regulation.  If teams know that, no matter what, they will get a chance in OT then there is no incentive to do the things that make the game exciting in the later stages of the 4th quarter.

 

I see your point and there are many game that come down to the visiting team having to decide to tie or go for the win on a late TD.  Never fails...if they tie they get criticized for being too passive and if they go for 2 and fail, then they are criticized for being too aggressive!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I say that the team who has scored the most TD's during regulation gets the first chance. This would perhaps encourage teams to go for it on fourth down more? Next tie breaker is most first downs during regulation. If both those are tied, it's a coin flip. 

 

The team who has played the best by those two indicators should get the first shot. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OT rules need to be changed.  You could adopt the college OT rules.  

 

Ties just don't fit in with American football like they do Association football (soccer).  I'm a big fan of association football and the fact that they have draws.  It makes sense in association football.  

 

It doesn't make sense in American football.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

I say that the team who has scored the most TD's during regulation gets the first chance. This would perhaps encourage teams to go for it on fourth down more? Next tie breaker is most first downs during regulation. If both those are tied, it's a coin flip. 

 

The team who has played the best by those two indicators should get the first shot. 

Too complicated. Keep it stupid simple. Each team gets 1 possession guaranteed. That way if the first one scores , the other gets a chance, if neither team scores on their first possession, goes to sudden death and the next point wins. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

There might be some merit to this.  Players and teams are worried about injuries.  The odds go up in overtime.  Then u hav games like the Arizona one that still end in a tie.  Or you have one like ours where we get hot and are basically thwarted by the flip.  If we get the flip call, i think we win.

  The current OT  rules FAVOR THE WINNER OF THE flip.  Until this is changed, a tie may be the better route.  

  Look, you have 60 minutes to win the game.  If you dont, you don't.  

  Plus, it would make playoff seeding alot more interesting.

OT sux in its current form.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Too complicated. Keep it stupid simple. Each team gets 1 possession guaranteed. That way if the first one scores , the other gets a chance, if neither team scores on their first possession, goes to sudden death and the next point wins. 

 

This has always made the most sense to me. Both defenses are totally gassed, there's no reason that only 1 should have to go out & try to stop the opposing offense because of a coin flip.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, red14 said:

in High School, College and Pro.   What's wrong with a tie?  Neither team loses, the underdog is happy they could get a tie, the favorite is relieved they didn't lose.  When you have the OT, the stronger team usually wins.  If a team doesn't want to tie, go for two after the TD late in the game.  It would reduce injuries from fatigue.   Personally, I hate to lose more than I enjoy winning, a tie is a relief.  The NFL had ties for many decades, it never prevented championships.  LSU won a National title with two ties one year, Tom Osborne and Bobby Bowden both lost a national title going for two.  The Colts won Super Bowl 5 when they had a tie in the regular season.  We still have ties in the pros almost every year, let's just end regular season overtimes.  So, anyone agree with me???

Nope.   I would never agree to something that created more ties.   The NFL has been averaging around 22-26 overtime games per season.  Even if teams played different in the 4th quarter, we are still talking about adding 15+ ties per season.   

I'm fine with the way it is.   I was fine with the way it was.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

I say that the team who has scored the most TD's during regulation gets the first chance. This would perhaps encourage teams to go for it on fourth down more? Next tie breaker is most first downs during regulation. If both those are tied, it's a coin flip. 

 

The team who has played the best by those two indicators should get the first shot. 

 

I love this idea.  As Julius Caesar once said, "fortune favors the bold, but Roger Goodell favors overly complicated yet poor officiating" :D

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just play the full 10 minutes.... I'ts not like in basketball the first team to score the game ends... it's not like in soccer in extra time the game is over as soon as a team scores... you play the extra time and whoever is on top at the end wins....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always thought they should change the rules, but not do away with it. It is far too exciting to get rid of it. I would much rather do away with ties. 

 

Each team should be guaranteed a possession in OT with the visiting team getting the ball first, automatically. If they score/dont score, the home team has a chance to win the game. Rinse and repeat until there is a winner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Do you think the Cardinals and Lions both consider their tie as loses?

I bet they were glad they didn't lose.  I also bet the Browns were a lot more happy after they tied last year's opening game than this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

@jvan1973 i take it you dont like that suggestion, funny because its from a video game?

 

i think its perfect, no more ties and the games end in regulation.  they are long enough as it is, no need for over time in the regular season

Maybe the dumbest idea I've ever heard for ending a game.   Say the score is 20-17.  The trailing team is at the ten with 30 seconds to go.  They wouldn't even try to score a td.  Just kick the fg and win because they scored last.   Dumb

 

 Obviously never going to happen.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Maybe the dumbest idea I've ever heard for ending a game.   Say the score is 20-17.  The trailing team is at the ten with 30 seconds to go.  They wouldn't even try to score a td.  

 

 

then they would win, that doesnt make it dumb at all.  over time is whats dumb, the games are plenty long already 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

then they would win, that doesnt make it dumb at all.  over time is whats dumb, the games are plenty long already 

So you think a team who scored the same amount of points should lose because of when they scored them? 

 

I dont think that would be controversial at all.

 

If its too long for you, just turn it off and see what happened later.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I don’t know why after so many years there are so many people who still believe Kiper  doesn’t know what he’s talking about? The exact opposite is true.   Always has been.   He’s lasted more than 35 years and for very good reason.    But I’ve been reading this here since I showed up nearly nine years ago.  Some falsehoods die slowly around here.   
    • I also think a trade back with the Packers is an excellent idea this year.  With Draftek's trade chart and the updated compensation picks being added into their system both teams would benefit.  Currently the Packers have compensation picks in both Rounds R5P174 and R6P217.   If the Colts trade back with the Packers and following Draftek's trade chart can see the Colts get GB R3P92, R5P170 and R6P211.  Again GB still has two picks available 4 picks later in each Round 5 and 6.   I like the double trade with the Steelers as well.  Have also been tinkering with trades and after dealing trades with the Packers looked at the Steelers for a second trade partner as well.  With the additional picks we acquired we then trade them to Pittsburgh R5P162, R5P170 via GB-IND-PIT, and pick up the Steelers R4P124.   Then for the draft would look something along these lines:   R1P29 (GB-Colts) RCB Ifeatu Melifonwu (Syracuse) R2P54 WR Nico Collins (Michigan) R3P92 (GB-Colts) DT Marlon Tuipulotu (USC) R4P123 TE Tre’ McKitty (Georgia) R4P124 (PIT-IND) DE Jordan Smith (UAB) played both edges R6P180 RG Ben Cleveland (Georgia) or RG Tommy Kraemer (ND) R6P211 (GB-IND) – C Ryan McCollum (Texas AM) R7P243 RB Gerrid Doaks (Cincy)
    • Players are paid what the market will sustain. 
    • Most of it is their agents. Their agent gets the player the best deal money wise and their agent gets a % of that deal. Agents can be greedy but that is how they make their money. In other words lets say to someone like Aaron Rodgers 30 Mill a year compared to 25 Mill just to help his team win may not seem like much but to the agent it is. The agent would be losing a couple of Mill by Aaron agreeing to take less money. In Tom's case he could care less, he has earned over 200,000,000 mill in his career and his wife even makes more than he does.
  • Members

    • Colts_Fan12

      Colts_Fan12 1,825

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 8,375

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • tvturner

      tvturner 289

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mackrel829

      Mackrel829 81

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 94

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • crazycolt1

      crazycolt1 7,394

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DoubleE Colt

      DoubleE Colt 47

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PureLuck

      PureLuck 157

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...