Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

End overtime games except for the playoffs . . .

red14

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would much rather have a tie than a loss. That is like an undefeated boxer defending his title for the 10th time and he fights a young tough opponent and it is a war, he gets banged up and bruised but gets a draw out of it and keeps his title. That is a lot better than a loss.

Well said, the essence of my belief, and actually better than my point.  I've had 28 ties in my coaching 'career' and all were better than a loss.

If you think the games are long you should try being a player and working your butt off all week to prepare for a game and have some dude in a suit decide "ah, we will just do away with OT so we can get the fans home earlier", and then you miss the playoffs and the potential bonuses and all around glory that come with it because you had to take a tie instead of getting a win.

If it's too long turn the channel. I could watch football if the games were 6 hours, it doesnt matter to me at all.

If you think the games are long you should try being a player and working your butt off all week to prepare for a game and have some dude in a suit decide "ah, we will just do away with OT so we can get the fans home earlier", and then you miss the playoffs and the potential bonuses and all around glory that come with it because you had to take a tie instead of getting a win.

If it's too long turn the channel. I could watch football if the games were 6 hours, it doesnt matter to me at all.

I don’t mind OT, but this nonsense of the other team not getting an offensive opportunity because of a coin toss is just wrong.  Both teams should be given the opportunity to possess the ball on offence.  Such a simple fix in the name of fairness. Sickens me that they don’t make this simple fix.

• Confused 1

My mom and wife were watching the game Sunday with me, after it was over and the Chargers had won, they were both like "What? The Colts don't get a chance?" I mean, it doesn't make sense to anyone, it's archaic. Needless to say they aren't nuanced in the ways of NFL football, but even a bystander can see the ridiculousness in the current methodology. Both teams should get the ball, and if not then they need to find another method to determine who gets the ball first. Really? A coin flip? Might as well just flip for winner or have the the coaches gear up and joust at the 50 yard line. If you're gonna go barbaric, take it all the way. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Gramz said:

I think a 10 min. Quarter is reasonable. 

Reasonable and makes the most sense. There's just not a lot of excitement in OT in it's current format. However, there is a lot of excitement in the final 2:00 minutes of the 4th quarter of a close game.

• Like 1

Ties are for suits! 

The NFL definitely needs to come up with something else. These rules get dumber and dumber every year.

Since they love dumb rules, how about if a game is tied at the end, they should throw the ball (jugs machine?) way up into the air on the 50 yard line and both teams have to jump up and get it (like a hail mary) and that's who gets the ball first. (instead of a coin toss) 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, csmopar said:

Too complicated. Keep it stupid simple. Each team gets 1 possession guaranteed. That way if the first one scores , the other gets a chance, if neither team scores on their first possession, goes to sudden death and the next point wins. 

Completely agree. The NFL is becoming more offense-driven. The rules have favored the offense more and more. Touchdowns are being scored at record rates. All this means that OT games are being decided more and more by the coin than by the actual relative offensive prowess of the team. They need to give both teams a chance in today's offensive-driven NFL

11 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I don’t mind OT, but this nonsense of the other team not getting an offensive opportunity because of a coin toss is just wrong.  Both teams should be given the opportunity to possess the ball on offence.  Such a simple fix in the name of fairness. Sickens me that they don’t make this simple fix.

Your premise is wrong.  The coin toss does not determine which is the only team to get an offensive opportunity, it only decides who gets the ball first.  The team's defense decides whether or not their offense is going to get  an opportunity.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Your premise is wrong.  The coin toss does not determine which is the only team to get an offensive opportunity, it only decides who gets the ball first.  The team's defense decides whether or not their offense is going to get  an opportunity.

I think the coin toss is the most fair way to do this.  50/50.  Can't get more fair that that.   

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Your idea is wildly stupid.   Will never happen,   except in video games I guess

its ok bud you dont have to like it.  it would work great too

calling it stupid wasnt very nice, im sure you have said things people disagreed with 

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Ties are for suits! 

The NFL definitely needs to come up with something else. These rules get dumber and dumber every year.

Since they love dumb rules, how about if a game is tied at the end, they should throw the ball (jugs machine?) way up into the air on the 50 yard line and both teams have to jump up and get it (like a hail mary) and that's who gets the ball first. (instead of a coin toss) 

that would be entertaining at least.  probably prone to injuries doing that lmao

25 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It's amazing that the NFL will not listen to college football or learn from it. Their overtime rules are perfect both teams get a chance to win

Both teams get a chance to win in the NFL.   Defense is a big part of football,  as is special teams

On 9/11/2019 at 3:32 AM, bravo4460 said:

Maybe the Colts defense should have stopped the Chargers from scoring a touchdown.

OT rules are fine.

both defenses are usually gassed in OT.  they might as well just hand them the game on the coin flip if its a good offense or top QB

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In the Regular Season just let it end in a tie, nobody loses and no more chance of injury. Post Season, go back to sudden death, first team that scores wins. Post Season is just different in my mind. JMO

i would go for that.  no more OT in the regular season.  OT in the playoffs would be cool 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In the Regular Season just let it end in a tie, nobody loses and no more chance of injury. Post Season, go back to sudden death, first team that scores wins. Post Season is just different in my mind. JMO

I actually like this idea the best.    A tie at the end of regulation.   Figure it out when the post season starts 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 6:42 PM, GoatBeard said:

I have always thought they should change the rules, but not do away with it. It is far too exciting to get rid of it. I would much rather do away with ties. 

Each team should be guaranteed a possession in OT with the visiting team getting the ball first, automatically. If they score/dont score, the home team has a chance to win the game. Rinse and repeat until there is a winner. 

That would systemically favor the home team. You always want to get the ball last in the proposed system. If the first team with the ball scores a TD. Guess what? The home team plays 4 down ball the whole way down the field. Big advantage!!!

If more regular season ties would eliminate the need for a lot of playoff tiebreaker scenarios, then I'm all for more regular season ties!

Much worse than a tie is when there are two teams with the same record and one gets in the playoffs and one doesn't, because this 10-6 is better than that 10-6. 

45 minutes ago, TrueBlue12 said:

That would systemically favor the home team. You always want to get the ball last in the proposed system. If the first team with the ball scores a TD. Guess what? The home team plays 4 down ball the whole way down the field. Big advantage!!!

I'm fine with that advantage because I think it adds excitement to the game for the people who paid money to watch the game in person. Consider it a gift to season ticket holders.

10 hours ago, aaron11 said:

both defenses are usually gassed in OT.  they might as well just hand them the game on the coin flip if its a good offense or top QB

True, However Colts defense played like Swiss cheese the entire game. If Hooker didn’t get that great interception the defense literally would have looked non existent.

Home team gets first possession.

Then the visiting team gets a guaranteed possession.

If at the end of those 2 possessions the game is still knotted it goes into the books as a tie.

Use this system and one thing I'd guarantee you is that you' see a rapid rise of 2 point conversions in OT.  A successful 2 point conversion from the home team would guarantee that the visiting team could only play for a tie, at best, so you'd see more teams gambling with it.