Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack - The next great Colt RB?

CR91

Have we finally found the RB we've been looking for since Edge? Its one game, but Mack imo is starting to show hes one of the best young backs in this league. People forget, he came out the same time as Fournette, Mccaffery, Mixon, Cook, Kamara, and Hunt. Chris Carson too who has been really good as well. This is turning out to be one great RB class

• Like 3

He looks great and I loved him coming out of college.  However, after watching the Saints game I had to admit I would rather have Kamara.  I think he is missing the elusiveness and pass catching of an elite back.  I am grateful he is on our team, but I don't think he should be in the same contract ballpark as Zeke.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bhougland said:

He looks great and I loved him coming out of college.  However, after watching the Saints game I had to admit I would rather have Kamara.  I think he is missing the elusiveness and pass catching of an elite back.  I am grateful he is on our team, but I don't think he should be in the same contract ballpark as Zeke.

I think we need a back like Kamara to go along with Mack.  Nyheim is that type as far as the passing game goes but he leaves some room for desire when it comes to running and the shiftiness.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bhougland said:

Agreed. If he wants big RB money, he has to be elite in all facets of today’s versatile RB. He simply isn’t used in the passing game and isn’t as elusive as other RBs. What he does have is great vision and the speed to outrun defenders. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I agree.  Mack’s not in a league with Zeke, Gurley, Kamara, etal.  Not yet, anyway.  But he’s probably in the next tier — and that’s OK.

• Like 4

His only weakness is he offers very little in the passing game. Not that it matters though. Guys like Kamara, CMC, Hunt, and Bell are the new wave in terms of versatile backs, but you pay RBs to keep the chain moving and control the time of possession. You wear a defense out by running the ball. Mack is a franchise back. 

Mack needs someone strong behind him though who can contribute in the passing game. De’Andre Swift from Georgia would be great. If teams realize that Mack is the only Colts RB that can rush the ball effectively, they’ll start to shut him down.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

His only weakness is he offers very little in the passing game. Not that it matters though. Guys like Kamara, CMC, Hunt, and Bell are the new wave in terms of versatile backs, but you pay RBs to keep the chain moving and control the time of possession. You wear a defense out by running the ball. Mack is a franchise back. 

Mack needs someone strong behind him though who can contribute in the passing game. De’Andre Swift from Georgia would be great. If teams realize that Mack is the only Colts RB that can rush the ball effectively, they’ll start to shut him down.

You don't draft Swift in the 1st (I don't see any way he gets out of the first), or early 2nd, to sit behind Marlon Mack. He's widely considered the best RB in the 20 class, and that's saying something when you have guys like Etienne, Taylor, Akers, Eno, and Kylin Hill. That class is jacked, there's gonna be solid starter level guys available all throughout Day 2. It wouldn't be long and Swift would be the lead back, that dude reminds me of Tomlinson, he can do it all and is ridiculously strong and shifty. 

• Like 1

I love Mack, but the 2020 RB class is loaded. It's probably better than the 17 class that produced Fournette, CMC, Dalvin Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Kareem Hunt, and James Conner. Seriously. D'Andre Swift, Etienne, Jonathan Taylor, Cam Akers, Kylin Hill, JK Dobbins, Eno Benjamin, Chuba Hubbard, Najee Harris...I mean it's insanely loaded. If we want a legit 3-down franchise guy like Saquon, Zeke, AK, then 2020 is the time to strike. Given the market value on RBs in the NFL at present time, we could land probably just about any of those guys with the Redskins 2nd or our 2nd, whichever ends up better. The WR class is stupid good too, gonna be a really strong year for skill position guys. Basically every mock I've seen has the Colts going WR in the first. And yeah, I know mocks aren't reliable yet. 

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I love Mack, but the 2020 RB class is loaded. It's probably better than the 17 class that produced Fournette, CMC, Dalvin Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Kareem Hunt, and James Conner. Seriously. D'Andre Swift, Etienne, Jonathan Taylor, Cam Akers, Kylin Hill, JK Dobbins, Eno Benjamin, Chuba Hubbard, Najee Harris...I mean it's insanely loaded. If we want a legit 3-down franchise guy like Saquon, Zeke, AK, then 2020 is the time to strike. Given the market value on RBs in the NFL at present time, we could land probably just about any of those guys with the Redskins 2nd or our 2nd, whichever ends up better. The WR class is stupid good too, gonna be a really strong year for skill position guys. Basically every mock I've seen has the Colts going WR in the first. And yeah, I know mocks aren't reliable yet. 

Can't even compare college kids (no matter how good they look) to legit NFL top tier RBs...

I think the Colts need a RB1b/RB2 to pair with Mack...that can run the ball (to keep the defense guessing), but more importantly, make big plays in the passing game...so they have that element on the offense. Hines just isn't that guy...he offers little as a RB (so it makes the offense predictable)...and just doesn't have it as far as creating chunk plays in the passing game (goes down too easy, not very elusive).

Really Hope Mack can improve in the passing game as well. Pass-catching RBs are such a staple of a good offense...and would help out JB big time.

Next year's draft class is a ways off...but seems like a great time to put the finishing touches on building on RB and WR.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

You don't draft Swift in the 1st (I don't see any way he gets out of the first), or early 2nd, to sit behind Marlon Mack. He's widely considered the best RB in the 20 class, and that's saying something when you have guys like Etienne, Taylor, Akers, Eno, and Kylin Hill. That class is jacked, there's gonna be solid starter level guys available all throughout Day 2. It wouldn't be long and Swift would be the lead back, that dude reminds me of Tomlinson, he can do it all and is ridiculously strong and shifty. 

Let’s see. Remember draft rankings can change quick. Jacobs went from a 2nd-3rd round pick to a 1st rounder. Plus Swift was just one example. I agree that there will be others available.

9 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Hes definitely an RB1. But I still feel like with our setup, we'll be an RB by committee team. We're still searching for that bruising powerback so we don't have to wear down mack in those short yardage and goal line situations.

Few teams use fullbacks in today’s game. I don’t think it’s a bad idea with what we’re trying to accomplish.

1 minute ago, Luck 4 president said:

Few teams use fullbacks in today’s game. I don’t think it’s a bad idea with what we’re trying to accomplish.

Definitely a dying breed. Not even a full on full back, just a bigger back who can power through the tackles. I was intrigued by Samaje Perine before the Bengals got him.

3 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

You can if you're an NFL scout, in fact that's part of your job. Look at anything involving this class, it's widely considered historic. I didn't create this perception. 

I've yet to hear anything about it being historic. Where are you getting that from? 

6 hours ago, Calmack said:

I've yet to hear anything about it being historic. Where are you getting that from? 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/the-2020-wr-class-could-truly-be-historic

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nflspinzone.com/2019/06/08/nfl-draft-2020-wide-receiver-stars-preview/amp/

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-jalen-reagor-jerry-jeudy-highlight-a-wr-class-that-should-break-the-2020-nfl-draft

There's 3 I dug up pretty quickly, it's widely known that this class is the business. At least for guys in devy circles. 

58 minutes ago, King Colt said:

great

noun

plural great or greats

Definition of great (Entry 3 of 3)

: an outstandingly superior or skillful person a tribute to the greats of baseball

Not great by definition

Every single player in the NFL is great by that definition.   Less than 6 % of high school football players go on to play college ball.   1.6 % of those go on to play in the NFL.  Over a million kids per year play high school football. 

So yeah,  by that definition they are all great. 

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Every single player in the NFL is great by that definition.   Less than 6 % of high school football players go on to play college ball.   1.6 % of those go on to play in the NFL.  Over a million kids per year play high school football. 

So yeah,  by that definition they are all great. 

So what does your take say about the players in the Hall of Fame? If they were all great there would be no great.

• Thanks 1

I have to say no.  I think Mack is good and capable.   I haven't really seen the greatness.   He did have a great game against the Chargers, but it was just one game.   We'll see if it continues.   He's definitely not in the top tier of RB's (Zeke, Barkley, McCaffrey, Kamara).   He's in the 2nd tier right now.   I'm hoping to see more.