Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South

Myles

Someone will have to step up if Turay does indeed not go. Like last week they will move Houston around on both sides and in the middle. We need Autry to collapse the pocket not just rely on the ends. Both QB have had some trouble with blitz’s. Then getting walker back is going to make it harder on the colts as we do not defend TE well.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:06 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Someone will have to step up if Turay does indeed not go. Like last week they will move Houston around on both sides and in the middle. We need Autry to collapse the pocket not just rely on the ends. Both QB have had some trouble with blitz’s. Then getting walker back is going to make it harder on the colts as we do not defend TE well.

Ask and you shall receive.

We need the Chargers to beat Houston this week.   and of course we need to beat the Falcons.   That would give us a 1 game lead in the division.   

Jags may salvage their season.   They are getting decent play out of Minshew.  With their defense, they may be a .500 team.   

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The game against the falcons is so important. Titans are done. Two games all ready lost in the division. Come on chargers.

I agree.  It's big for a couple reasons.

Obviously to stay on top of the division.  Be over .500.

To see if Adam V can regain his ability.

It may be a game where Brissett is called upon to take over and throw more.   This would be his first test in that regard.  

• Like 1

This is going to be close, even more so than last year. We can’t afford to play catch up again. For this week it’s us and Houston, and the Jags might not be far behind. Our games against Houston will be monumental, and the Jax games are very important now too. We need every win this year, we can’t spare much room if we want to get to the playoffs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

This is going to be close, even more so than last year. We can’t afford to play catch up again. For this week it’s us and Houston, and the Jags might not be far behind. Our games against Houston will be monumental, and the Jax games are very important now too. We need every win this year, we can’t spare much room if we want to get to the playoffs.

Yup, every game is huge. No chumps (well maybe Miami lol). We did get a few major breaks though with Big Ben going down, and with the Brees situation who knows (reports are he should be back by week 9 or 10). I thought we got lucky with Jax too, but love the way Minshew is playing.

This division looks very winnable. 

Titans do not appear that dangerous 

Jax is going to have adjustments to make. I dont give much weight to einning a home Thursday night game.

Houston, to me, is the wild card. They can do damage. They have a good QB and excellent receiver core. Their D is capable of taking over too.

All in all, the Colts have a solid shot at playoffs.  I'll feel more comfortable with a win against Atl and a Houston loss at LA.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:38 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We may win 5 games just in the division. You are severely underrating them. I had us 8-8, maybe 9-7 so I am not saying we are SB contenders but 5 wins??

Watson is overrated.

15 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Titans need to go to Tannehill, I’m not under the illusion that will save their season but man, Mariota is just not getting the job done.

Tannehill is a way better QB than Mariota.

20 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

This division looks very winnable. 

Titans do not appear that dangerous 

Jax is going to have adjustments to make. I dont give much weight to einning a home Thursday night game.

Houston, to me, is the wild card. They can do damage. They have a good QB and excellent receiver core. Their D is capable of taking over too.

All in all, the Colts have a solid shot at playoffs.  I'll feel more comfortable with a win against Atl and a Houston loss at LA.

We need to win the next 2 cause we are not going to KC and winning don't see it happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Titans need to go to Tannehill, I’m not under the illusion that will save their season but man, Mariota is just not getting the job done.

Not a fan of Mariota, but his issue is he's getting sacked (leads the league by a bunch at 17 sacks). He's got a substantially higher YPG than JB, a similar QBR, and hasn't thrown an INT. In short, I don't see Tannehill as any kind of answer. They need a better OL.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Not a fan of Mariota, but his issue is he's getting sacked (leads the league by a bunch at 17 sacks). He's got a substantially higher YPG than JB, a similar QBR, and hasn't thrown an INT. In short, I don't see Tannehill as any kind of answer. They need a better OL.

Their offensive line is bad, but Mariota is also holding onto the ball wayyyy too long. He is part of the problem with the sack total, not a pure victim of it.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I don't think so.   after a quick google search, he's ranked 9th or 10th which seems about right.  

I think he’s a notch below elite, and has zero pass protection. Give him time with Hopkins and he can shred a defense. Wish he was on the Colts. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Their offensive line is bad, but Mariota is also holding onto the ball wayyyy too long. He is part of the problem with the sack total, not a pure victim of it.

I don't disagree (that he can improve), but Mariota's TTT is just a hair more than Brees and Rivers,,,, and they weren't getting whacked like Mariota. I'd say this is 80% OL, 20% Mariota. 

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The problem with Mariota is he can’t throw from the pocket. He is great at throwing on the run but a horrible from the pocket. His style is one of those that does not translate to the nfl.

I think you have to look at their O as a whole. The "pocket" has not been reliable at all, so it should not shock folks he's not comfortable there. Also, before picking up AB in the draft, their WRs have been mediocre without much consistent separation. I was surprised to see how much of an impact AB had on double teams of others. Humphries has benefited big time and his separations looks good so far this year. 

BTW, TY's separation stats look nice and I'm sure it's in large part because teams can't simply double him anymore.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Any team/GM in the NFL who hasn’t figured out yet that offensive production starts up front deserves the thumpings they get.

The league has changed a lot over the years. Pass-heavier offenses gave rise to a high value being placed on pass rush...which requires more value on the OL.  Of course, line play has always been big.  But it’s never been bigger than it is now.

Nobody understand this better than us Colts fans.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Any team/GM in the NFL who hasn’t figured out yet that offensive production starts up front deserves the thumpings they get.

The league has changed a lot over the years. Pass-heavier offenses gave rise to a high value being placed on pass rush...which requires more value on the OL.  Of course, line play has always been big.  But it’s never been bigger than it is now.

Nobody understand this better than us Colts fans.

Preach. Big uglies on both sides of the line are foundation of any team.

• Like 1

I think this game will be just like the last two. We will run to use the clock and keep the ball out of the falcons hands. Big question will be can we get pressure on Ryan and force him to make mistakes. He gets the ball out his hands quick. Last year Miami tore  our defense up without Leonard with Brock Osweller.  I don’t think our defense will be able to handle the falcons. Big question can we use clock to keep them from having the ball or will the colts offense break out at home. Atlanta has a really good secondary.

32 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Watson is not overrated his first 2 year stats are on par with Russell Wilson and his year 2 was better than Luck’s.

Yeah, Watson’s an excellent QB.  Top 10, I’d say.  Most of the Texans’ woes are in spite of what he does.

As for the Titans, I don’t know if Tannehill or Mariota is better.  But I do know that I’m glad they aren’t our top 2 QBs.

17 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

As for the Titans, I don’t know if Tannehill or Mariota is better.  But I do know that I’m glad they aren’t our top 2 QBs.

Why?  They are better than what we have.

They would do better on the Colts team than Brissett/Hoyer.

If we win Sunday and the Texans lose to the Chargers, they'll all be chasing our tails to start the first quarter of this season, and that is about as hard for me to believe than knowing in week 7 last season we still had a chance at the postseason. 

I think we can sweep this division in head to head games. I'm that confident in our ability to stop all 3 offenses run game and put serious pressure with a front 4 pass rush. I'm confident that our run game on offense can beat all 3 teams this season, and as long as JB grows and continues to minimize mistakes/turnovers, we can outscore them all. I believe we have the best coaching staff in the division and that Frank will put together better gameplans in those head to head games than the other sideline. 

Winning in Nashville week 2 tells me we can sweep this division. Like everything else in football, you have to execute the gameplan. 

3 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, Watson’s an excellent QB.  Top 10, I’d say.  Most of the Texans’ woes are in spite of what he does.

lol....he’s just not.  It’s not even a matter of opinion.  You’re just wrong.

3 hours ago, runthepost said:

Watson is not overrated his first 2 year stats are on par with Russell Wilson and his year 2 was better than Luck’s.

Wilson wasn’t considered great due to the stats he put up.  

Luck was the 18th rated qb in the NFL his second year;  Who cares if Watson’s year 2 was better (even that is arguable).  What a meaningless set of data points you’ve chosen.....lol

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, every game is huge. No chumps (well maybe Miami lol). We did get a few major breaks though with Big Ben going down, and with the Brees situation who knows (reports are he should be back by week 9 or 10). I thought we got lucky with Jax too, but love the way Minshew is playing.

Miami is basically a second bye. I think they’d rather lose.

@Steelers actually looks very winnable now that the three B’s are gone. I think Brees will be back in time to face us, but who knows how good or bad he’ll be?

Jags and Houston are very worrying, but I really only see one guaranteed loss on our schedule as of right now (at Chiefs)

Can we get 14-2? I think I’d like that lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Miami is basically a second bye. I think they’d rather lose.

@Steelers actually looks very winnable now that the three B’s are gone. I think Brees will be back in time to face us, but who knows how good or bad he’ll be?

Jags and Houston are very worrying, but I really only see one guaranteed loss on our schedule as of right now (at Chiefs)

Can we get 14-2? I think I’d like that lol

can you imagine 14-2 lol.... i don't see it happening, but it does seem more attainable than earlier with all the impacts to the teams on our schedule. very strange season.... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

can you imagine 14-2 lol.... i don't see it happening, but it does seem more attainable than earlier with all the impacts to the teams on our schedule. very strange season.... 

Entering the season I had 8-8 knowing JB was the starter but now 10-6 is obtainable, especially if we win this week.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Entering the season I had 8-8 knowing JB was the starter but now 10-6 is obtainable, especially if we win this week.

It'll be interesting to see how teams adjust to JB after the first 3-4 games. Also, going to guess there we'll be adjustments vs our rushing game too. IMO, if we continue having success with the run, and continue game manager type game plans for JB, teams will begin to stack vs the run and force JB to win the games. How we react to that will be interesting. I do think 10-6 is obtainable, but I also think Houston and Jax are going to be very tough to beat both at home and on the road.

I'm over Luck leaving, but my buddy (back in Indy) is still pretty down. Every week we talk on Sunday, and I think he'll continue to ask me "can you imagine our team with neckbeard now". regardless of how you feel about Luck leaving, or JB... I think everybody will admit that this season is about as intriguing as it can be, and every week (except Miami) should be an adventure.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It'll be interesting to see how teams adjust to JB after the first 3-4 games. Also, going to guess there we'll be adjustments vs our rushing game too. IMO, if we continue having success with the run, and continue game manager type game plans for JB, teams will begin to stack vs the run and force JB to win the games. How we react to that will be interesting. I do think 10-6 is obtainable, but I also think Houston and Jax are going to be very tough to beat both at home and on the road.

I'm over Luck leaving, but my buddy (back in Indy) is still pretty down. Every week we talk on Sunday, and I think he'll continue to ask me "can you imagine our team with neckbeard now". regardless of how you feel about Luck leaving, or JB... I think everybody will admit that this season is about as intriguing as it can be, and every week (except Miami) should be an adventure.

I am not 100% over Luck leaving either. I still think about it a lot but being in acceptance stage and winning last week helps.