Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 Observations


Recommended Posts

First off a shout out if anyone saw me at the game. I was wearing a Blue Leonard jersey with a white hat and sunglasses and my wife was wearing a long sleeve colts shirt. Section 131.

 

-I like how the colts went run heavy. That is exactly what I think the colts needed to do to not put too much on Brissett. 

 

-I thought Brissett looked great. Made some really nice throws. Mack was terrific especially after the slow start in the first half. Oline was blocking much better

 

-Defense had it moments. There was good pressure on rivers. The int from Hooker was insane and I thought the run defense was ok. What really hurt was the screens. We also couldnt get off blocks at times. Lewis at the Nose just doesn't work imo. Hes too small for the position

 

-Overall I was impressed by the team and I think we are in good hands going forward.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I thought Lewis was inactive yesterday?

 

Wrong number then haha. I didnt see hunt in much. Saw him on the bench. Ward too

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Honest question I cant seem to answer...

 

Why are we victimized by RB passes so bad the past few years? Over pursuing, cant get off blocks, weakness in the scheme, etc? How do we fix it?

It’s very strange. We are a fast defense so you think that wouldn’t happen. Hopefully it was just the lack of preseason games and game speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Honest question I cant seem to answer...

 

Why are we victimized by RB passes so bad the past few years? Over pursuing, cant get off blocks, weakness in the scheme, etc? How do we fix it?

For the most part it's the weakness of the scheme.  There are certain reads that drop the LBers back, then combined with a quick and fast guy like Eckler and you get that result.

 

yesterday, the biggest problem was Moore kept tipping his hand on when he was going to blitz, so SD checked to the RB dump off and that was all she wrote.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CR91 said:

First off a shout out if anyone saw me at the game. I was wearing a Blue Leonard jersey with a white hat and sunglasses and my wife was wearing a long sleeve colts shirt. Section 131.

 

-I like how the colts went run heavy. That is exactly what I think the colts needed to do to not put too much on Brissett. 

 

-I thought Brissett looked great. Made some really nice throws. Mack was terrific especially after the slow start in the first half. Oline was blocking much better

 

-Defense had it moments. There was good pressure on rivers. The int from Hooker was insane and I thought the run defense was ok. What really hurt was the screens. We also couldnt get off blocks at times. Lewis at the Nose just doesn't work imo. Hes too small for the position

 

-Overall I was impressed by the team and I think we are in good hands going forward.

 

 

There were a lot of Colts fans at that stadium yesterday, I may have seen you and didn't realize it. Tough loss but we played a SB contender pretty evenly with a very good vet QB. Season looks promising, if we beat the Titans next Sunday all will be good. I fully expect the Texans to lose tonight at NO, and without Foles the Jags are toast. Brissett played well for the most part and our O.line dominated the 2nd half.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There were a lot of Colts fans at that stadium yesterday, I may have seen you and didn't realize it. Tough loss but we played a SB contender pretty evenly with a very good vet QB. Season looks promising, if we beat the Titans next Sunday all will be good. I fully expect the Texans to lose tonight at NO, and without Foles the Jags are toast. Brissett played well for the most part and our O.line dominated the 2nd half.

 

Our section was so loud screaming defense. Yea im not worried at all. That was a great game by a very good team at their place with Brissett basically getting his first start as the legit starter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CR91 said:

First off a shout out if anyone saw me at the game. I was wearing a Blue Leonard jersey with a white hat and sunglasses and my wife was wearing a long sleeve colts shirt. Section 131.

 

-I like how the colts went run heavy. That is exactly what I think the colts needed to do to not put too much on Brissett. 

 

-I thought Brissett looked great. Made some really nice throws. Mack was terrific especially after the slow start in the first half. Oline was blocking much better

 

-Defense had it moments. There was good pressure on rivers. The int from Hooker was insane and I thought the run defense was ok. What really hurt was the screens. We also couldnt get off blocks at times. Lewis at the Nose just doesn't work imo. Hes too small for the position

 

-Overall I was impressed by the team and I think we are in good hands going forward.

 

 

Lewis didn't play. He was inactive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Screen's just aren't our strong suit, defensively or offensively. I loathe seeing them run on us and even more when Reich calls them. Especially when he calls them on 2nd and very long's (which he did twice yesterday).

 

Another observation on playcalling (and I'm not trying to pile on Reich because for the most part he's a great play caller): I'm not a fan of our sweeps. Hines lost big yards on them and Mack had to make something out of nothing on them in most cases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

Honest question I cant seem to answer...

 

Why are we victimized by RB passes so bad the past few years? Over pursuing, cant get off blocks, weakness in the scheme, etc? How do we fix it?

 

There's a really good write up over on Stampede Blue on that subject. 

 

It only takes a couple of missed assignments for the opposing team to break a big play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CR91 said:

First off a shout out if anyone saw me at the game. I was wearing a Blue Leonard jersey with a white hat and sunglasses and my wife was wearing a long sleeve colts shirt. Section 131.

 

-I like how the colts went run heavy. That is exactly what I think the colts needed to do to not put too much on Brissett. 

 

-I thought Brissett looked great. Made some really nice throws. Mack was terrific especially after the slow start in the first half. Oline was blocking much better

 

-Defense had it moments. There was good pressure on rivers. The int from Hooker was insane and I thought the run defense was ok. What really hurt was the screens. We also couldnt get off blocks at times. Lewis at the Nose just doesn't work imo. Hes too small for the position

 

-Overall I was impressed by the team and I think we are in good hands going forward.

 

 

I think we need to put a little  more on Brissett. Two to three more deep shots a game. He is accurate  enough to complete them. Can't  play safe unless you want to lose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I think we need to put a little  more on Brissett. Two to three more deep shots a game. He is accurate  enough to complete them. Can't  play safe unless you want to lose.

 

No one is saying he cant make all the throws, but you also dont want to put all the burden on him right out of the gate

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

No one is saying he cant make all the throws, but you also dont want to put all the burden on him right out of the gate

I think they didn't  to try to fool the titans. Play action should have been wide open in second half.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CR91 said:

First off a shout out if anyone saw me at the game. I was wearing a Blue Leonard jersey with a white hat and sunglasses and my wife was wearing a long sleeve colts shirt. Section 131.

 

-I like how the colts went run heavy. That is exactly what I think the colts needed to do to not put too much on Brissett. 

 

-I thought Brissett looked great. Made some really nice throws. Mack was terrific especially after the slow start in the first half. Oline was blocking much better

 

-Defense had it moments. There was good pressure on rivers. The int from Hooker was insane and I thought the run defense was ok. What really hurt was the screens. We also couldnt get off blocks at times. Lewis at the Nose just doesn't work imo. Hes too small for the position

 

-Overall I was impressed by the team and I think we are in good hands going forward.

 

 

Lewis didn't play it was either stewart or Hunt and Autry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

For the most part it's the weakness of the scheme.  There are certain reads that drop the LBers back, then combined with a quick and fast guy like Eckler and you get that result.

 

yesterday, the biggest problem was Moore kept tipping his hand on when he was going to blitz, so SD checked to the RB dump off and that was all she wrote.

 

Moore II and Wilson both very obviously telegraphed when we were sending a DB on a blitz... it's early in the season and all, but we've gotta do something about this issue as the season goes on.

 

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Screen's just aren't our strong suit, defensively or offensively. I loathe seeing them run on us and even more when Reich calls them. Especially when he calls them on 2nd and very long's (which he did twice yesterday).

 

Another observation on playcalling (and I'm not trying to pile on Reich because for the most part he's a great play caller): I'm not a fan of our sweeps. Hines lost big yards on them and Mack had to make something out of nothing on them in most cases.

 

Yesterday was the first time in a while where I thought our O has potential to be a good screen team.  There was a screen to TY on (I think 3rd and 17th) which TY took about 14-15 yards and wound up a few yards short of the first.... that's the first time since Terrence Wilkins' days when I remember us executing a somewhat successful screen pass (I'm sure that I'm wrong, but I don't remember the last time we've had a decent looking screen game since Wilkins).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

Wrong number then haha. I didnt see hunt in much. Saw him on the bench. Ward too

Hunt played bad yesterday.  He looked lost & his closing burst was non-existent. I think Lewis needs his reps & spot in the rotation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Hunt played bad yesterday.  He looked lost & his closing burst was non-existent. I think Lewis needs his reps & spot in the rotation. 

I'm sure there was a reason Lewis didn't play.   No need to continue to question it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have the link but I think it was ESPN and Brissett said he wanted to let it fly but reich was calling for shorter options . For example he saw Ebron open down the field and wanted to throw it but opted for the shorter option. So I don’t think we have to worry about JB being scared or limited. We’ll see.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Honest question I cant seem to answer...

 

Why are we victimized by RB passes so bad the past few years? Over pursuing, cant get off blocks, weakness in the scheme, etc? How do we fix it?

It's a poor scheme. We play zone, and concede completions to RB's. Defense hangs back, offensive line blocks them easily, which leads to YAC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...