Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rookies in OT

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t understand the reasoning for this.

Rock I get.  He’s their third corner and with Moore playing the slot Rock was getting the other outside corner spot.

Okereke I’d have to see where he was playing it might have been the RLB spot which wouldn’t be shocking.  I saw Walker in there on that last drive so he wasn’t just playing MLB.

Willis they like getting on the field.  This wasn’t a great game for Geathers and they kept swapping Willis for Geathers at times and at one point even put Willis out there for Hooker.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Wilson needs to go back to that CB spot. You can’t have rookies cost you games like that.

Wilson had a big flag and has under performed.  I am fine with seeing what Rock can do.  He’s got to play to learn and there will be growing pains but hopefully that pays off.  Wilson I’ve pretty much given up on at this point.  Maybe he will prove me wrong but I have just not been impressed by him.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You can’t have rookies cost you games like that though.

The rookies weren’t the ones on the d-line getting dominated by the Chargers line on that last drive.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Wilson had a big flag and has under performed.  I am fine with seeing what Rock can do.

Are you talking about the PI right before the end of regulation? It was the right call but it wasn't a terrible penalty. Just one of those 'it happens' type of plays. And it didn't cost the Colts anything. Game still went to OT. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Wilson had a big flag and has under performed.  I am fine with seeing what Rock can do.  He’s got to play to learn and there will be growing pains but hopefully that pays off.  Wilson I’ve pretty much given up on at this point.  Maybe he will prove me wrong but I have just not been impressed by him.

The rookies weren’t the ones on the d-line getting dominated by the Chargers line on that last drive.  

That last drive was down right pathetic.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Wilson needs to go back to that CB spot. You can’t have rookies cost you games like that.

Wilson had a PI during that OT drive I think.  Or maybe that was during the final drive of the 4th quarter.  I thought it was good defense but......

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Probably just trying to find something that would slow them down. Nothing was really working...Chargers only punted one time after the 1st drive of the game. And if not for that INT, they likely would have had 5 TDs, 1 FG and 1 punt on those 7 drives. 

I mean those two drive extending penalties  didn't  help

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not sure I understand Willis, he's our depth safety.  

I could be proven wrong but he never struck me as a guy who has the tools to be anything more than a 2nd stringer and special teams player. 

I think Geathers has been overrated here.  The D has struggled at the position for several years and if Willis isn't the answer, we'll continue to struggle.

Apparently the FO thinks he is.  And it looks like we'll get plenty of opportunities to see.

• Like 1

i've said it in another thread but i think its going under the radar...it was hot they were in the sun the entire game outside of the half. this isnt soccer they are in full gear getting beat down by the heat. yes there are athletes but you saw so many bodies in an out to keep guys fresh or fresher. The Chargers should look at having some cover put in for away teams to not something you'd should have to consider a home field advantage is health and hydration. 

25 minutes ago, waka waka said:

i've said it in another thread but i think its going under the radar...it was hot they were in the sun the entire game outside of the half. this isnt soccer they are in full gear getting beat down by the heat. yes there are athletes but you saw so many bodies in an out to keep guys fresh or fresher. The Chargers should look at having some cover put in for away teams to not something you'd should have to consider a home field advantage is health and hydration. 

I get that we are rotating guys in and out possibly due to heat and to keep the players fresh.. with the amount of injuries we had last year, I assume Reich and Co. are going to keep a rotation at a lot of positions to keep players fresh.  

That said, it was in the low-mid 70's.  It was in the 90's in Jacksonville yesterday and KC still handled the Jags pretty well.  We've got plenty of water/gatorade on the sidelines for our players to keep hydrated and we had several months to condition them in training camps and their personal off-season workouts.  The field was not slick or muddy, so there really weren't too many health conditions to be afraid of outside of common football injuries.  It's (IMO) a lot more dangerous to play a game in snow/mud conditions and freezing temperatures than in sunny conditions with 70 degree weather.

I think the major concern is that both Geathers and Willis had mediocre games and Willis probably saw the field more than the coaches had desired.  Oh well, hopefully they both can watch the tape and improve as the year goes on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not sure I understand Willis, he's our depth safety.  

I could be proven wrong but he never struck me as a guy who has the tools to be anything more than a 2nd stringer and special teams player. 

I don't think they see him as our depth safety.  They traded up to get him I believe.  I think they see him as a starter taking Gaethers spot.  

i care more about dewpoints honestly i'm in north texas where its hot and if you are outside without hat on you are asking to get beat up by the sun. while i love SD and its such a beautiful city. don't think that sun beaming on you while you are in full gear doesnt takes a toll. 

with how the league is setup now and the lack of activity in the preseason we are likely will see teams huffing late i mean we saw several charger down on the ground with a few with cramps. the heat plays a factor but the sun is unforgiving when its just bearing down on you. i think it did play a small factor.

safety play was ok i think some of the coverages we ran at times did us no favors. but you have to mix it up with a guy like Rivers he's a heck of a QB and has seen it all. the more pressure we can get the better the def will be long term. as far as clayton goes he needs to stay healthy i think we you get hurt you don't trust yourself as much you get more apprehensive more tentative instead of playing free i saw moments of that from him. but there personal at the skill spots are good. they were a 12 win team for a reason. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think they see him as our depth safety.  They traded up to get him I believe.  I think they see him as a starter taking Gaethers spot.  

They did trade up for him in the 4th round, showing they like the guy a lot.... but still, he's a 4th rounder.

Geathers has not been able to stay healthy, Hooker has his own injury concerns, Farley was coming off season ending injury, Odum has shown spurts but is largely unproven, and we didn't really have other reliable options on our roster during the time of the draft at the S position.

I think after addressing other glaring concerns prior to drafting Willis, they probably thought this guy can come in and provide depth and ST help with the possibility of taking over for Geathers in a year or 2 if Geathers got hurt again or didn't play very well... I don't think the plan was for a 4th rounder to come in and beat our a team Captain on day 1... unfortunately, Geathers just didn't play very well yesterday.  I wasn't in the gameplanning sessions, so I'm not sure if they knew all along that Willis was going to play that much, but my hunch would be he got more time than expected due to Geathers having an off day.

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

They did trade up for him in the 4th round, showing they like the guy a lot.... but still, he's a 4th rounder.

Geathers has not been able to stay healthy, Hooker has his own injury concerns, Farley was coming off season ending injury, Odum has shown spurts but is largely unproven, and we didn't really have other reliable options on our roster during the time of the draft at the S position.

I think after addressing other glaring concerns prior to drafting Willis, they probably thought this guy can come in and provide depth and ST help with the possibility of taking over for Geathers in a year or 2 if Geathers got hurt again or didn't play very well... I don't think the plan was for a 4th rounder to come in and beat our a team Captain on day 1... unfortunately, Geathers just didn't play very well yesterday.  I wasn't in the gameplanning sessions, so I'm not sure if they knew all along that Willis was going to play that much, but my hunch would be he got more time than expected due to Geathers having an off day.

Nah, they traded up for him. That shows they have a plan for him. I think he'll become our "Geathers" of the future. Ballard doesn't just waste 4th round picks. like that. They had a plan

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Nah, they traded up for him. That shows they have a plan for him. I think he'll become our "Geathers" of the future. Ballard doesn't just waste 4th round picks. like that. They had a plan

If they traded up for him in round 1 or 2, I would think for sure the plan was for him to take over for Geathers.  In the 4th, after we had already traded back to acquire multiple picks, we traded up -- Ballard said something along the lines of "we saw S as a position of need and there was a significant drop off in talent after Willis, so we went up to get him."  

Again, I think they saw a guy who could maybe take over for Geathers in a year or 2... but I don't think the plan for any 4th rounder is for them to come in and unseat the team captain as a rookie, regardless of if you traded up for him or not.

56 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

That said, it was in the low-mid 70's. 

I was stationed at Camp Pendelton for 4 years. Never trust the recorded temp. It may be 72 degrees where you have the nice, wonderful Pacific breeze. But it'll be 110 in the spot where the wind cant reach

Rookies didn't cost the Colts the game. The three most egregious mistakes were caused by Autry on the FG which led to a TD....Houston on the encroachment which lost Turay's strip sack - next play 55 yard TD.....and Vinny leaving 7 points on the field.

Those are three veterans. 

Having said that this is a team game and the Colts lost, plain and simple.

• Like 1

We have to remember that the Colts are a very young football team. We overhauled the roster a couple seasons ago and have been focused on building through the draft and retaining our own guys. It's going to take a little bit of time and some great coaching to make sure we're not constantly giving up huge chunk plays. Its SO much better than our Pagano days when anyone and their grandma could run the ball down our throats. If Ebron held onto the ball and we didn't miss a couple kicks, we'd be in much better shape. Get them next time.

4 hours ago, waka waka said:

I was at the game yesterday and man was it miserably hot behind the colts bench I went to the game white and left red

• Like 1