Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the Ebron call

Imgrandojji

This deserves its own topic.

First of all, I feel like the refs could have gone either way on the call, but they didn't "get it wrong."  This is basically the Dez Bryant catch, which was by far the least controversial of the "controversial" no-catch calls (Megatron, Dez, James, and now Ebron) and the bandaid the league put on the rules doesn't change the fundamental nature of how possession works when a receiver leaves his feet.

The rule is very simple.  If you're leaving your feet to get the ball, and the ground knocks it loose, you never had it.  Ebron made a great attempt to keep control but the ground knocked it loose.  Just like Bryant Ebron tried to corral the loose ball on his body, but it was still a loose ball.  Result: incomplete pass, and he never had possession.   Obviously you can't score a touchdown without possession of the football.

Does it suck?  yes.  Does it look to the layman's eye like a touchdown?  Yes, he's across the plane and the ball didn't actually fall off his body until after he came to rest, just like Dez.  But he still doesn't control the football and the rules are what they are.

• Like 1

The NFL changed the rule before the season. Do some research before posting it wasn't a catch in the endzone. If 2 feet are down or only 1 foot is down but another body part hits the endzone before bobbling the ball than it is a TD. Ebron had 1 foot down and his elbow hit the ground before he barely bobbled it. It was a TD and not even debatable. Like I said do some research, Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson's catches would be considered a TD now. I am not sure the REFS know the new rule? We actually got screwed all day by the REFS, they got away with holding on numerous occasions. This loss makes me sick! Moving forward it looks like we have a good team if we can stay healthy. I am not sure Mack can be a work horse like he was today every week.

• Like 7

It doesnt matter, if fg unit did its job we win by 7 in regulation.  Colts put up one heck of a fight to overcome the self inflicted wounds but came up short.  I still think theres plenty to be excited about.  We could have stolen one today ladies and gents, but alas......on to tenn

• Like 3

The thing that bugs me the most, is the lack of consistency across the rules depending on "where" you are on the field.

If he caught that inbounds, it's a catch. If he were in the field of play, the ground cant cause a fumble. 

The TY dive where the nose of the football goes in the endzone is a touchdown, even if he doesnt control the ball to the ground, because the "instant" the ball breaks the plane in possession, it's a touchdown. For the Ebron call, one foot, one elbow and possession- but because he doesnt control it all the way to the ground they call incomplete. It's a bit ludicrous for me, and they need to fix the rules to be consistent. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The NFL changed the rule before the season. Do some research before posting it wasn't a catch in the endzone. If 2 feet are down or only 1 foot is down but another body part hits the endzone before bobbling the ball than it is a TD. Ebron had 1 foot down and his elbow hit the ground before he barely bobbled it. It was a TD and not even debatable. Like I said do some research, Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson's catches would be considered a TD now. I am not sure the REFS know the new rule? We actually got screwed all day by the REFS, they got away with holding on numerous occasions. This loss makes me sick! Moving forward it looks like we have a good team if we can stay healthy. I am not sure Mack can be a work horse like he was today every week.

I agree .......BUT .     Now I have watched it again.  His second foot came down at the same time as his elbow.  Maybe a split second before.   If that is the case it should've been a catch correct?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

And yet Trent green, Dean blandino and the refs on the field disagree.  Green and blandino both explained very well why it wasn't a catch.

Maybe you should watch the play again. It was when ebrons elbow hit the ground that the ball came loose and unfortunately he couldn't regain control before going out of bounds. It was the correct call. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If a player, who satisfied (a) and (b), but has not satisfied (c), contacts the ground and loses control of the ball, it is an incomplete pass if the ball hits the ground before he regains control, or if he regains control out of bounds. In Ebrons case he was out of bounds

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

This deserves its own topic.

First of all, I feel like the refs could have gone either way on the call, but they didn't "get it wrong."  This is basically the Dez Bryant catch, which was by far the least controversial of the "controversial" no-catch calls (Megatron, Dez, James, and now Ebron) and the bandaid the league put on the rules doesn't change the fundamental nature of how possession works when a receiver leaves his feet.

The rule is very simple.  If you're leaving your feet to get the ball, and the ground knocks it loose, you never had it.  Ebron made a great attempt to keep control but the ground knocked it loose.  Just like Bryant Ebron tried to corral the loose ball on his body, but it was still a loose ball.  Result: incomplete pass, and he never had possession.   Obviously you can't score a touchdown without possession of the football.

Does it suck?  yes.  Does it look to the layman's eye like a touchdown?  Yes, he's across the plane and the ball didn't actually fall off his body until after he came to rest, just like Dez.  But he still doesn't control the football and the rules are what they are.

Then that rule is bullcrap just like most of them.

8 minutes ago, J@son said:

And yet Trent green, Dean blandino and the refs on the field disagree.  Green and blandino both explained very well why it wasn't a catch.

Maybe you should watch the play again. It was when ebrons elbow hit the ground that the ball came loose and unfortunately he couldn't regain control before going out of bounds. It was the correct call. 

His foot and elbow hit before the ball came loose, look at the play again. Those guys are wrong. It was a TD. The NFL apparently changes rules and half the people do not even know what they are lmao . They changed the TD rule because of guys like Dez and Calvin Johnson. If Ebron's wasn't a catch then it was like the rule wasn't ever changed.

6 minutes ago, J@son said:

But .    rewatch it.    He had 2 feet down before his elbow hit.    I am changing my mind on this one now that Ive seen it.   2 ft down then the elbow then the bobble should be a catch unless I still don't understand the rule

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

But .    rewatch it.    He had 2 feet down before his elbow hit.    I am changing my mind on this one now that Ive seen it.   2 ft down then the elbow then the bobble should be a catch unless I still don't understand the rule

It was a catch by the new rule, obvious to me but not to some others, obvious to you too :thmup:

It was borderline, i geuss the right call though... we also had the running into the center penalty that turned 3 points into 7 for them, an offside that negated a 3rd down sack, and of course as we all know 7 points left on the field by AV. 

All in all some really bad breaks in a game that we should have won. Id take the positives from it given the situation.

3 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Hard to see from this angle but go to the 6;33 mark

Looked like the elbow and foot hit at the same time.   If it was ruled a td,  it probably would have stood.   Hard to say

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

That is clearly a TD.

Obviously not clearly,  or it would have been a td

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Looked like the elbow and foot hit at the same time.   If it was ruled a td,  it probably would have stood.   Hard to say

Now that I watch it again not only did his elbow touch but both feet did touch before he even bobbled the ball. 1 foot + 1 elbow = a catch without a bobble, both feet with control = a catch. It is over now so I will drop it and it figures the REFS would not over turn it anyway. I agree, had they ruled that a TD on the field they would of kept it as a TD IMO.

10 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Hard to see from this angle but go to the 6;33 mark

Yeah the ref sees the ball moving and Ebron sliding out of bounds. This isn't hard to understand. And there's no way they overturn the call on the field; the review resulted in the call standing, not being confirmed. Just a tough break on a borderline call, I don't see how anyone can act like this is an egregious officiating error.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Now that I watch it again not only did his elbow touch but both feet did touch before he even bobbled the ball. 1 foot + 1 elbow = a catch without a bobble, both feet with control = a catch. It is over now so I will drop it and it figures the REFS would not over turn it anyway. I agree, had they ruled that a TD on the field they would of kept it as a TD IMO.

That's what I think to.    If it was ruled a td it wouldn't have been overruled  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah the ref sees the ball moving and Ebron sliding out of bounds. This isn't hard to understand. And there's no way they overturn the call on the field; the review resulted in the call standing, not being confirmed. Just a tough break on a borderline call, I don't see how anyone can act like this is an egregious officiating error.

I think it was a catch but it is not why we lost the game. It didn't help but our Kicker who I love had a lot to do why we lost too. Just time to move on and get a win at Tennessee.