Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense and Tackling

Mr.Debonair

The issue I noticed throughout the game is that whenever the D made a good play, it didn't really matter, Rivers was able to counter with a chunk play to get the lost yardage back or convert the first down anyway.  Consequently, I thought the chargers moved the ball at will and Hooker's great play was the only time the D had a real stop when it mattered.

What's Henry Anderson doing these days? JK.  Never liked that release (trade for a 7th).

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The issue I noticed throughout the game is that whenever the D made a good play, it didn't really matter, Rivers was able to counter with a chunk play to get the lost yardage back or convert the first down anyway.  Consequently, I thought the chargers moved the ball at will and Hooker's great play was the only time the D had a real stop when it mattered.

What's Henry Anderson doing these days? JK.  Never liked that release (trade for a 7th).

Yes, that’s the problem with the zone good QBs like Rivers can pick it apart.  The Colts are going to play a lot of good QBs this year so they better figure out something.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I was disappointed in our run D. I didn't think they'd be as dominant as last season without Woods and especially Sheard, but it didn't look good.

Pass rush was solid, at least in terms of getting pressure, but the Chargers are hurting on the OL. We'll see how they do from here on out.

As for the coverage...there seemed to be a loooot of uncontested catches today.

That's standard Cover 2 for you. Cover 1 was worse. 

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes, that’s the problem with the zone good QBs like Rivers can pick it apart.  The Colts are going to play a lot of good QBs this year so they better figure out something.

Same thing with the Dungy D, and the D under Pagano.

And in general, that's why NFL offenses are looking the way they look, dink and dunk.

Its tough to stop, always has been, which is why having an offense that can go toe-to-toe with them is very important.  

The defense needs to be able to get a stop on 3rd down to get the offense more possessions.  Sacks, losing plays, and other good defensive plays the D makes don't matter if a second and 20 turns into a 3rd and 8 and then a first down.

(Or were those "good plays" the D made actually bad lays the opposing O made?)

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I thought Houston was primarily going in on pass downs. Maybe this is because the sheard injury.  Also I think sitting Lewis was a big mistake. No wonder we were winded at the end. We are supposed to be deep and rotate to keep this from happening.

Still dressed 8 DL for the game...

Muhammed, Turay, Banogu, Houston at DE

Autry, Hunt, Ward, and Stewart at DT.

And no, size at DT was not an issue at all.

e.g. Autry 6'5'' 285, Hunt 6'9'' 295, Ward 6'5'' 287, Stewart 6'4'' 315.

Remember when we had Redding (318), Chapman (340), and Jones (337) on the DL, their run defense was worse than it is now.

• Like 1

Yeah defense certainly underperformed with tackling, run defense, and pass defense. Got to tackle and stuff the run better against Tennessee this next game. They definitely can be beat. Gotta stop Henry first and foremost, and also gotta be able to continue to run the ball with Mack. 

18 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Dline did not slant/penetrate successfully vs the run and linebackers were not filling gaps well at all. Terrible gap discipline. Terrible tackling. Defense got bullied.

Austin Ekeler is not good and we made him look like a god.

That being said, I'm pretty happy with the offense. I thought we got too cute or conservative and/or predictable at times. But overall, quite happy offensively.

We may have made Ekeler look better than he really is, but he is still a good player in this league.  

I agree with you on offense -- we looked good, but there were times when it seemed like our play calling was very predictable/one-dimensional.  I think we'll see more balance moving forward.

16 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

This was big. I had no confidence in the defense on 3rd downs. I think we even held them to 1-3 on 3rd to start with, but they just got whatever they wanted after that.

Yes, our 3rd down D was horrific.  It seemed like we were just leaving parts of the field wide open for them to gain moderate chunks of yards on 3rd down situations.  We'll need to improve this for sure as the year goes on -- if Rivers and LAC did this to us yesterday, I don't even want to think about what Brady and NE will be able to do to us when they've got Antonio Brown up to speed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

We may have made Ekeler look better than he really is, but he is still a good player in this league.  

I agree with you on offense -- we looked good, but there were times when it seemed like our play calling was very predictable/one-dimensional.  I think we'll see more balance moving forward.

Yes, our 3rd down D was horrific.  It seemed like we were just leaving parts of the field wide open for them to gain moderate chunks of yards on 3rd down situations.  We'll need to improve this for sure as the year goes on -- if Rivers and LAC did this to us yesterday, I don't even want to think about what Brady and NE will be able to do to us when they've got Antonio Brown up to speed.

We made some great tape on how not to play D.
 We pretty much lined up just like we did against KC in the playoffs and they pretty much attacked us the way KC did.
 Come on EB, get your ____ together.
  lol Banogu over T Lewis at LDE. 
 And please get Speed out there over those 2 practice squad LB'ers.

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We made some great tape on how not to play D.
 We pretty much lined up just like we did against KC in the playoffs and they pretty much attacked us the way KC did.
 Come on EB, get your ____ together.
  lol Banogu over T Lewis at LDE. 
 And please get Speed out there over those 2 practice squad LB'ers.

Was Speed inactive? I was expecting to see him a bit, but don't recall seeing him at all.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:07 AM, stitches said:

Yep, that's what I noticed too... I still don't like our solutions at the second safety spot. I'm not sure I trust the rookie either. 

It's concerning as he's a team captain.  So is Vinny. I have been a long time supporter of both. I always thought Geathers would pull it together.  Im not sure anymore. 

20 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

if Rivers and LAC did this to us yesterday, I don't even want to think about what Brady and NE will be able to do to us when they've got Antonio Brown up to speed.

New England won't be able to do anything to us seeing as we're not on their schedule. troll.png

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 7:33 PM, Smonroe said:

I agree with Houston, it was a bad call.  

I agree it was a bad call, but I don't agree with Houston.  I watched the play several times and he does move before the ball moves, but why I think it was a bad call is because he's allowed to move, he was not over the LOS when the center snapped the ball, he timed it perfectly.

Not to change the subject (but I am).  Can someone work with Kelly to quit shaking his head right before he snaps?  he gives away when he's going to snap the ball by doing that.  Attach his helmet to his shoulder pads for a week of practice to break that habit.  It was something I noticed he started doing about week 5 or 6 last year.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 7:20 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

I was disappointed in our run D. I didn't think they'd be as dominant as last season without Woods and especially Sheard, but it didn't look good.

Pass rush was solid, at least in terms of getting pressure, but the Chargers are hurting on the OL. We'll see how they do from here on out.

As for the coverage...there seemed to be a loooot of uncontested catches today.

We need a NT.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:18 PM, VaAllDay757 said:

Defense wasn't that bad as a whole there were atleast 3 sacks and a pick and some TFL but the tackling has to get better

Cause and effect folks... You can't improve unless you hit during training camp. There are less days in pads. Walkthroughs don't help you hit. It's a trend in the modern NFL... Bad tackling due to new rules to protect players during training camp and not playing starters in preseason... RELAX... We will get better

5 hours ago, CoachLite said:

With as many rookies as we are playing, plus trying to adjust our defensive scheme(s), I suspect it will take some time for the defense to come together. The question about interior defensive line is still an open question.

So true... Gotta let young boys play... Mistakes and bad losses will happen but the payoff over time will be worth it....

Right now the D-Line has tons of versatile players, but tweeners as well.

A lot of depth, but not notorious star power. If the Titans run it a lot this upcoming game, we should play the following lineup:

Sheard/Lewis (instead of Turay or Banogu) - Hunt - Stewart - Houston/Autry

I wouldn't mind them re-signing Zach Kerr and try him for a few games, he had a decent last season with 33 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 PD. (not trying to be funny)