Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I trully believe if.he missed that he wpuld.have hung'em up. They talked him out of it in the chargers game. This one would have hurt more.

Where have you read that talked him out of retiring?   No way he was going out like that

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

How stupid would it have been to cut this great Colt player midseason....as some suggested. 

Some of the takes are flat out embarrassing. 

Unfortunately that's the world today. Impress me and satisfy me in under a minute or you're useless or a waste.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I trully believe if.he missed that he wpuld.have hung'em up. They talked him out of it in the chargers game. This one would have hurt more.

So no article,  no interview about the team talking him out of retiring?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/09/17/adam-vinatieri-talks-decision-not-retire-indianapolis-colts/2334206001/

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

He lives to kick another game...

He’s here to the end of the season.  

Age is catching Adam and he’s going to miss some like today.  However, the reason Adam is the GOAT is what he did at the end of the game.  He’s clutch, and for a kicker that’s hard to find.  He’s not automatic but with the game on the line very few if any have done it better than Adam.  

Unless his right leg falls off the Colts aren’t going to replace him this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

I thought this thread died in September.

olympics rio GIF by Katy Perry RISE

For the record, Adam is the GOAT and he’s still top 3 Colts of all time for me, no matter how this season turns out

Here is something crazy, if he finishes the season (which baring injury he will) he will have played in the second most games of any Colt ever, two behind Reggie and one a head of Peyton.  Don’t forget he played 160 in New England before that.

• Like 1

Cut him! Keep him! Cut him! Keep him! I give up. I had no confidence that AV would make the extra point, but I had no doubt he would make the game winner.

Some guys are automatic UNTIL the game is on the line (yeah, I'm talking about you liquored up kicker), while other guys are automatic WHEN the game is on the line (yeah, I'm talking about you AV).

• Thanks 4

Extra points are harder than they used to be, lots of misses this year. Missing a 45 yarder (IIRC) is not a huge failure, happens a few times every week in the NFL. Hitting clutch game-winning FGs is vastly more important. Vinny did that today and that's why he's the GOAT. He just gets it done when it has to get done. 

1 minute ago, Dogg63 said:

Extra points are harder than they used to be, lots of misses this year. Missing a 45 yarder (IIRC) is not a huge failure, happens a few times every week in the NFL. Hitting clutch game-winning FGs is vastly more important. Vinny did that today and that's why he's the GOAT. He just gets it done when it has to get done. 

He didn’t have these issues with extra points last year. And while 45 yarders aren’t easy, again, he didn’t have these issues last year.

Regardless of the challenges these kicks present, I don’t think there are many here that had the same confidence level in his last kick that we would’ve had last year.

54 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

That only goes so far.  Adam has now missed four extra points this year going into Sunday the rest of the league had missed four combined.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27943353/adam-vinatieri-earns-redemption-lifts-colts-game-winning-field-goal

So it is a concern and sign that time is catching Adam.  With that said, it’s not enough of one to do something about until the off-season especially when he’s hitting two 50+ yarders including the game winner.  Adam was what he has been all his career when it counted the most, clutch.  That’s why he’s here and why he’s staying until the end of the year.  

For now I think we are going to have to accept he’s going to miss a kicker here or there and probably more than we are used too but if people listen to Frank they aren’t even thinking about a change and his game winner is why for better or worse.  

I do expect Adam to hang it up at the end of the season though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Adam has now missed four extra points this year going into Sunday the rest of the league had missed four combined.

I don't know where ESPN Stats & Information got that from.  But you should have fact-checked that.  There have been a total of 30 missed PATs this year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=KICKING_XK_MADE&tabSeq=0&season=2019&experience=&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=FIELD_GOALS&qualified=false

If you look through those stats, you'll see that only 16 kickers are perfect on PATs this year.  Half the kickers in the league... while 20 kickers have missed at least one.

They even showed a graphic during the game today that showed that Vinnys' 4 misses ties Gostkowski and Fairbairn for the most in the league.  So there were two kickers with more missed PATs than Vinny going into today.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I don't know where ESPN Stats & Information got that from.  But you should have fact-checked that.  There have been a total of 30 missed PATs this year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=KICKING_XK_MADE&tabSeq=0&season=2019&experience=&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=FIELD_GOALS&qualified=false

If you look through those stats, you'll see that only 16 kickers are perfect on PATs this year.  Half the kickers in the league... while 20 kickers have missed at least one.

They even showed a graphic during the game today that showed that Vinnys' 4 misses ties Gostkowski and Fairbairn for the most in the league.  So there were two kickers with more missed PATs than Vinny going into today.

That makes sense as I thought four was too low when I read it.

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

Wouldn’t have been a game winner if he’d made either of those two kicks. 

Actually if he hit the extra point it would have still been a game winner as it would have been tied.  He went 3/4 on field goals including two 50+ yarders and the game winner.  Any other team would be thrilled with their kicker after a day like that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Actually if he hit the extra point it would have still been a game winner as it would have been tied.  He went 3/4 on field goals including two 50+ yarders and the game winner.  Any other team would be thrilled with their kicker after a day like that.

Yes if it was just one day. But this season he’s not been consistent and it’s cost us one game, almost two. 

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Yes if it was just one day. But this season he’s not been consistent and it’s cost us one game, almost two. 

Go ask the Bears if they would like to trade kickers.

also he had been consistent since week two until today missing only one kick in that time frame.

also if you are going to say he lost the Colts a game you have to say he won them the game today too.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Go ask the Bears if they would like to trade kickers.

also he had been consistent since week two until today missing only one kick in that time frame.

also if you are going to say he lost the Colts a game you have to say he won them the game today too.

What’s his record for kicks overall this season? Where’s he stack up to the rest of the league? He was 60% today. Yes he kicked a game winning 51 yarder but that’s my whole point. He’s not consistent. 

And I’m sure the bears would take Adam. They’re a worse team. Doesn’t change what happened in Indy.

4 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

What’s his record for kicks overall this season? Where’s he stack up to the rest of the league? He was 60% today. Yes he kicked a game winning 51 yarder but that’s my whole point. He’s not consistent. 

And I’m sure the bears would take Adam. They’re a worse team. Doesn’t change what happened in Indy.

He’s 11 for 15 on field goals 73%.  Not great and should be better.  I conceded age is catching up to him but he’s still better than a fair amount of kickers in the NFL and still came through in the clutch.  While I do think this will be Adam’s last year I don’t think the Colts are going to make a change.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s 11 for 15 on field goals 73%.  Not great and should be better.  I conceded age is catching up to him but he’s still better than a fair amount of kickers in the NFL and still came through in the clutch.  While I do think this will be Adam’s last year I don’t think the Colts are going to make a change.  

He’s ranked 22 in the league. That’s not good. I don’t think we should cut him I’m just sayin I’m a lot less sanguine about his play than others here. I’d hoped the first two games were behind him but after today they’re not. We’re gonna have more difficult outdoor games later in the season so we are definitely not out of the woods with Adam.

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

He’s ranked 22 in the league. That’s not good. I don’t think we should cut him I’m just sayin I’m a lot less sanguine about his play than others here. I’d hoped the first two games were behind him but after today they’re not. We’re gonna have more difficult outdoor games later in the season so we are definitely not out of the woods with Adam.

That’s ignoring how’s he played after week two until today, then today even when he was shaky the Colts don’t win the game without him.  I agree that age is catching up to him but I also know he’s not going anywhere this season.  

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I’m not ignoring those games. I’m saying he’s not consistent. An inconsistent kicker is not a good thing even if he hits game winners

He was consistent for a chunk of games in between week two until today.  Its possible he was just shaky today, it happens to all players.  Let’s see if it continues past today before we hit the panic button about him and see if maybe today was a bump in road after righting the ship.  Not unlike what happened to the Colts as a team last year when they went to Jacksonville after overcoming a 1-5 start.  

That’s the very definition of inconsistent. Bad, good, bad, good. Gotta look at the whole season. That’s three shaky games out of 7. Blustery weather is in the offing in the back half of the season. 

Im not writing him off. What he does this season doesn’t change his legacy. He’s still the greatest but he’s now a liability and an asset. Just depends on if he has more shaky games.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

That’s the very definition of inconsistent. Bad, good, bad, good. Gotta look at the whole season. That’s three shaky games out of 7. Blustery weather is in the offing in the back half of the season. 

Im not writing him off. What he does this season doesn’t change his legacy. He’s still the greatest but he’s now a liability and an asset. Just depends on if he has more shaky games.

Or it could be he had a rough start figured it out and just had a shaky game today.  Time will tell.  

Also despite his misses today he wasn’t a liability as they don’t win the game without him.