Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

Wow. Overreact much?

To demonstrate knee jerk reactions, just like those of fans wanting to kick him to the curb even before finding a suitable replacement.

First, the Pats will do that regardless I think.

Vinny has been a Colt much longer than a Patriot (BTW, I do not)

Second, Vinny has the worst kick rate in the NFL. Nobody will sign him. 

I’m not worried someone signing him once released. But how he was released from the Colts is a concern of mine.  

I’m glad our fans aren’t the GM or we’d probably be like the Jets this year.  Spend 122 million dollars in guaranteed money on free agents and still achieve relative mediocrity.

Third, what does any of this have to with the ring of honor? 

Once cut his career is essentially over.  So those who don’t mind punting him to the curb don’t care if he retires a Patriot (which I do not believe happens), but yet still want him in the Colts ring of honor? Just asking as maybe I have assumed incorrectly?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know how many years ago exactly this was created,  but I'd guess 8-10 years ago,  someone came up with the expression "Over Reaction Monday" for the NFL regular season.   And it stuck.

Every Monday,  NFL fans make fools of themselves as they demonstrate how little they know about football and even their favorite team.     Total fools.

Which leads us today.   A Monday.   And we won.   And yet,  here's a dreadful thread,  one of the worst I've ever seen here,  filled with nonsense.

Boo Adam Vinitiari?     There's a stroke of genius!   How did Colts Nation look the last time we booed one of our hero's off the field for the last time?    And you want to do that again?     Did we learn.....    nothing?

Heads are going to roll over this?    Dear God....

Adam should stop being so selfish?     This stuff hurts my eyes to try and read it.

There's much more.     Fortunately,  about a half-dozen really good posters tried to talk sense into the crowd.   They tried to herd cats.    A thankless task here.

For a while, it played out as if posters were in serious competition to come up with the silliest posts humanly possible.    Plenty of competition for top honors!

I've said this every year I've been here....   posters value opinion over facts.   Opinion over good information.     Even the craziness of a month ago didn't slow things down.    At the time I'm writing this,   this thread is 16 pages long.    No shortage of opinions here.    Just a shortage of wisdom, common sense,  and the ability not to get carried away so easily.

This won't be a popular post......    but there it is....      what a mess here....

I think you’re overreacting to overreactions.

You overreacter

:nono:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Once cut his career is essentially over.  So those who don’t mind punting him to the curb don’t care if he retires a Patriot (which I do not believe happens), but yet still want him in the Colts ring of honor? Just asking as maybe I have assumed incorrectly?

My mistake, I misread your point about the Pats. You clearly said "retire as a Pat" but in my head I read "be in their Ring of Honor" (assuming they do something similar). I dont think the Pats will 1 day contract him but I do think they will honor him when he retires. I believe he will wind up in 2 Ring of Honor situations - Colts and Pats. 

Now that the front office and coaching staff have put their full support behind AV, then I really hope that takes some pressure off of him and he'll go out and have a great game this Sunday.

If anyone can get out of this funk he's in, it's Adam.

Imagine what a great story and tribute to his greatness this will be when he overcomes the issues he's dealing with and has a successful season.  Then, he can retire at the end of the year with his head held high and it will also boost team moral even more when they see that the front office and coaching staff, and ownership will always have their back.

I'm looking forward to AV righting the ship and winning us a couple of games this season.

As I heard mentioned on 1070 this morning...if this doesn't work, then it's on the front office and staff now for deciding to keep him.  

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

To demonstrate knee jerk reactions, just like those of fans wanting to kick him to the curb even before finding a suitable replacement.

I don't think anyone wants that.   Wanting to bring in possible replacements is another thing.   

Having loyalty to a player who isn't playing well happens but usually not with winning results.   Manning on the Giants is a good example.  Heck, they fired a head coach for wanting to bench him.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

If AV misses one single kick, at home, he should be cut during the game. Fans pay way too much $$ to watch a professional kicker miss kicks at home. 

Hey I got a great idea, why don’t you just save your $$ and stay home??  I seriously doubt you will be missed at the game.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I’m glad our fans aren’t the GM or we’d probably be like the Jets this year.  Spend 122 million dollars in guaranteed money on free agents and still achieve relative mediocrity.

Yeah I think Luck retiring has mentally damaged our fanbase a little.

They would have cut TY and made that unemployed WR Hogan the #1 alongside high character guys like Antonio Brown on the other side with Bell toting the rock with his 60ypg average so far. Forgot to add Kelly as the starter.

4 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

My mistake, I misread your point about the Pats. You clearly said "retire as a Pat" but in my head I read "be in their Ring of Honor" (assuming they do something similar). I dont think the Pats will 1 day contract him but I do think they will honor him when he retires. I believe he will wind up in 2 Ring of Honor situations - Colts and Pats. 

agree, that may very well happen.  And he deserves to be treated with respect and dignity, of one that does deserve 2 ring of honor selections.  The Colts prove they will do just that.

4 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

523.jpg

gcdw8.jpg

h9691FC4C

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't think anyone wants that.   Wanting to bring in possible replacements is another thing.   

They may work some people out, in time.  I'll bet every agent of a kicker has been ringing Ballard's phone into overheat mode.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Having loyalty to a player who isn't playing well happens but usually not with winning results.   Manning on the Giants is a good example.  Heck, they fired a head coach for wanting to bench him.   

There will come a time.  The first time (benching) around for Eli, a coach did get it. Some of it for 'HOW' they did it.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/Giants-Mara-Mistakes-made-in-Eli-s-benching_163124936/

But now its long past and round 2 for Eli with a #6 overall pick in place.  They likely told Manning it was his team unless he could not motivate the guys to victory.  He didn't so in comes the future, Daniel Jones.  Colts need their 'Daniel Jones' in place.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

There has to be somebody out there that can at the very least make an extra point and a 29 yard field goal.

I just watched Gostkowski of the Patriots miss a Field Goal and at least 2 extra point kicks in the Dolphin game.

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2019/09/stephen-gostkowski-struggles-new-england-patriots-kicker-missed-field-goal-two-extra-points-in-sundays-win.html

Quite a few teams have (at least some) kicking issues, as did a few teams last year as well.  Not long ago, the Vikings traded a 5th round draft pick for one off the Ravens squad, and ended up cutting him weeks later.  (Kaare Vedvik)

I am all for a positive mindset and standing behind your people, but are they kidding themselves? It is not a rhetorical question. I am genuinely asking.

If he wasn't thinking of retirement then why the whole comment about hearing form him on Monday? 

I am not a pro football GM or anything, but it is very clearly beyond wishful thinking at this point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

I am all for a positive mindset and standing behind your people, but are they kidding themselves? It is not a rhetorical question. I am genuinely asking.

If he wasn't thinking of retirement then why the whole comment about hearing form him on Monday? 

I am not a pro football GM or anything, but it is very clearly beyond wishful thinking at this point. 

well, we all know the Colts PR department is a mess and a half.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There will come a time.  The first time (benching) around for Eli, a coach did get it. Some of it for 'HOW' they did it.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/Giants-Mara-Mistakes-made-in-Eli-s-benching_163124936/

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.  The season was lost and they knew that Manning wasn't good.  The coach caught heck because the media rules the team in NY.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. 

That's why fans aren't running teams.  You're not accountable for the decision, nor have to tell the player.  Evidently, neither does the coach as he dropped the bombshell on a Tuesday (players day off)

"McAdoo shocked the sports world on Tuesday when he announced that Geno Smith, who has thrown a total of two incomplete passes all season, will be starting this Sunday against the Oakland Raiders on Sunday."

2 hours ago, Myles said:

The season was lost and they knew that Manning wasn't good. 

So ruin his consecutive games started streak to try Geno Smith, who was a known soon to be FA, 27 years old, and a mediocre QB after his 5 previous seasons in the NFL?  Really? And not talking to Eli about it, but announce it on his day off? (Tuesday)  Then a day later offer to let him start, to continue the streak, then yank him for Geno?

Eli essentially told him (in his nice way) to go pound sand, that the offer was a sham. Start Geno.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

The coach caught heck because the media rules the team in NY.  

We don't know the particulars, but the media had a love/hate relationship with Eli. But they despised the way the NY Giants tossed him aside, let Geno ruin the streak and lose a game, then put Eli back in the following week. But I admit it was kind of funny one reporter told the fired coach to look at Manning's rings on his way out, because that's the closest he'd ever get to one.

None of us have had conversations with Eli (or Adam V.), but the NY Giants Co-Owner did, then admitted they all botched the handling of the Eli situation in some way.  TBH, I don't think Eli has had his full heart in it ever since.  (hard to gauge as his demeanor is always stoic)  His contract ends this year, he collects his final $23.2 million, and can't be traded (he has no trade clause in his contract).

Colts seem to be respectful on how they deal with players

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

agree, that may very well happen.  And he deserves to be treated with respect and dignity, of one that does deserve 2 ring of honor selections.  The Colts prove they will do just that.

gcdw8.jpg

h9691FC4C

They may work some people out, in time.  I'll bet every agent of a kicker has been ringing Ballard's phone into overheat mode.

But now its long past and round 2 for Eli with a #6 overall pick in place.  They likely told Manning it was his team unless he could not motivate the guys to victory.  He didn't so in comes the future, Daniel Jones.  Colts need their 'Daniel Jones' in place.

I just watched Gostkowski of the Patriots miss a Field Goal and at least 2 extra point kicks in the Dolphin game.

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2019/09/stephen-gostkowski-struggles-new-england-patriots-kicker-missed-field-goal-two-extra-points-in-sundays-win.html

Quite a few teams have (at least some) kicking issues, as did a few teams last year as well.  Not long ago, the Vikings traded a 5th round draft pick for one off the Ravens squad, and ended up cutting him weeks later.  (Kaare Vedvik)

Did you see the first of 2 missed extra points Vinny missed last week wasn't anywhere near the uprights.

7 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Did you see the first of 2 missed extra points Vinny missed last week wasn't anywhere near the uprights.

No. I live in SW Florida. I get Dolphins, Bucs (and some Jags) games. I listen to Colts on SiriusXM radio, and watch it later on game pass (when I can)

21 hours ago, IinD said:

Yeah I think Luck retiring has mentally damaged our fanbase a little.

They would have cut TY and made that unemployed WR Hogan the #1 alongside high character guys like Antonio Brown on the other side with Bell toting the rock with his 60ypg average so far. Forgot to add Kelly as the starter.

There’s nothing deranged about not wanting to risk losing more games because our PK can’t be counted on to hit 23/29/46 Yard FGs and PATs.

There probably is, though, something deranged about wanting to hang on to a kicker with such recent results.

These guys have one job to do.  And it doesn’t matter what they’ve done in years past.  It only matters what they can be counted on to do on the upcoming Sunday.

This is not a close call and it amazes me there are people who think otherwise.

• 1 month later...