Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
chad72

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

He absoultely let everyone down today. He lost this game single-handily....IMHO. 

So the penalty for hitting the center had no effect on the game?  How about Houston jumping off sides?  How about Ebron dropping a td pass?  Here didn't lose the game single handed.   He did have a bad game though

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Middle of the field defense has to be better. 

Vinny has to be better. Today was inexcusable.

The Titans game will be interesting. 

Running pretty well up the middle and no pass rush from the middle.

 

Hunt, Autry, Lewis, and Stewart are not a playoff caliber DT package.  We shall see how the season goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DougDew said:

Running pretty well up the middle and no pass rush from the middle.

 

Hunt, Autry, Lewis, and Stewart are not a playoff caliber DT package.  We shall see how the season goes.

Lewis didn’t even play. Looks like a huge mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

 

Don’t forget that we let Peyton Manning go.  He didn’t retire then.

 

The fact that he’s the GOAT has clouded everybody’s thinking — including, apparently, Irsay, Ballard, and Reich.

That was in the off season,   not after week 1. He was also coming off of spinal surgery.  Terrible analogy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he misses more than one kick in the next 3 games his spot on this roster needs to come in to question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

The fact he did this in KC Reich needs to be honest with himself.

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And who do we sign tonight to replace him?

Sad thing is we had his replacement on the roster in preseason.  Why did we sit Vinny?  We would have confirmed his present condition then and let him retire with dignity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AV misses kicks sometimes. A particularly ugly game early in the season is kind of common. He usually bounces back and makes like 30 in a row. 

 

One of these days, there will be no bounce back. I hope that's not this time, but at 46 years old, I wouldn't be surprised. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Our DL middle left much to be desired, it was our biggest concern going in. I don’t think we played good QBs last year that we could place extra defenders by the box and this resulted in a stellar run D stat last year.

 

This year is going to be different.

Thanks for also bringing up the DTs. 

 

Many were questioning whether Hunt, Autry, Lewis, and Stewart were a playoff caliber DT package, and we shall see how that plays out during the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

That was in the off season,   not after week 1. He was also coming off of spinal surgery.  Terrible analogy

 

But your reasoning for him not being cut is that “he’s the GOAT.”

 

And besides, we’ve passed up not one but two chances to move on from Vinatieri during the past two off-seasons.  Why?  Because he’s the GOAT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lewis didn’t even play. Looks like a huge mistake.

Not yet good enough I guess?  Or did he get injured again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, luv_pony_express said:

 

But your reasoning for him not being cut is that “he’s the GOAT.”

 

And besides, we’ve passed up not one but two chances to move on from Vinatieri during the past two off-seasons.  Why?  Because he’s the GOAT!

That's right.   I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't miss another kick this year.   They should have let him kick in the preseason.   We will see.   If he has another game like this,  they will bring in some kickers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Not yet good enough I guess?  Or did he get injured again.

Healthy scratch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So the penalty for hitting the center had no effect on the game?  How about Houston jumping off sides?  How about Ebron dropping a td pass?  Here didn't lose the game single handed.   He did have a bad game though

How about getting 3 free chances to score a point or 3 or 3 and fail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Not yet good enough I guess?  Or did he get injured again.

No he was a healthy scratch. I think they wanted more speed off the ends. We could of used him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

Sad thing is we had his replacement on the roster in preseason.  Why did we sit Vinny?  We would have confirmed his present condition then and let him retire with dignity.

Perhaps. But again, can’t change the past. So again, who do we sign tonight if we cut him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BuckeyeColtFan said:

I think he will do it himself...he knows its over

Maybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That's right.   I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't miss another kick this year.   They should have let him kick in the preseason.   We will see.   If he has another game like this,  they will bring in some kickers

 

My point is that it’s stupid to retain any player who obviously isn’t the best option anymore, just because they’re the GOAT.

 

What they’ve done in the past has nothing to do with how effective they are today.

 

And it’s been obvious for a while that Vinny isn’t a very good kicker anymore.  It happens to everybody at some point.

 

They should’ve let him go a year ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

How about getting 3 free chances to score a point or 3 or 3 and fail

I didn't say the missed kicks weren't one of the reasons they lost.    But there were others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

 

My point is that it’s stupid to retain any player who obviously isn’t the best option anymore, just because they’re the GOAT.

 

What they’ve done in the past has nothing to do with how effective they are today.

 

And it’s been obvious for a while that Vinny isn’t a very good kicker anymore.  It happens to everybody at some point.

 

They should’ve let him go a year ago.

He was 23 of 27 last year.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Perhaps. But again, can’t change the past. So again, who do we sign tonight if we cut him?

That's the rub...I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No he was a healthy scratch. I think they wanted more speed off the ends. We could of used him.

There is a fine line between a "healthy scratch" and not being good enough.

 

The speed off of the ends actually made some plays including pressure.  We did nothing at DT, since we don't really have any good ones. 

 

But for the thread to blame this loss on Vinny is absurd, although he obviously had a bad game.  The D simply did not play well at all, outside of one play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Vinny hits all those kicks and we win. Seems that Chargers always manage to beat us, even with backups. 

 

If he makes ONE of those kicks the Colts win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there’s a lot of nostalgia for vinny. But we have to face facts. He missed two kicks that just about any nfl caliber kicker makes 99.99 percent of the time.

 

If he weren’t Vinatieri, would we tolerate this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There is a fine line between a "healthy scratch" and not being good enough.

 

The speed off of the ends actually made some plays including pressure.  We did nothing at DT, since we don't really have any good ones. 

 

But for the thread to blame this loss on Vinny is absurd, although he obviously had a bad game.  The D simply did not play well at all, outside of one play.

So the sacks weren't good plays?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And who do we sign tonight to replace him?

Not a clue but I am betting Ballard has a list of kickers who could do better . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There is a fine line between a "healthy scratch" and not being good enough.

 

The speed off of the ends actually made some plays including pressure.  We did nothing at DT, since we don't really have any good ones. 

 

But for the thread to blame this loss on Vinny is absurd, although he obviously had a bad game.  The D simply did not play well at all, outside of one play.

It’s not absurd. We left 4 easy points on the field. I’ll give him the 46 yarder as that’s a comparatively tough kick. The other two, relatively automatic for most kickers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

It was 7 points. 7 POINTS!!! That is unforgivable for a professional kicker of his stature in 1 game. It was his loss today. He lost that game. You can forgive s missed PAT. You can forgive a missed FG. There is no forgiveness for 2 missed FG and a missed PAT in the same game. It's time for him to be done.

Did you also want to cut Peyton Manning when he threw 6 picks against the Chargers? Bad games happen.  These guys are human.  If he has multiple bad games, then maybe it's time for him to retire or for the Colts to move on.  But one bad game doesn't mean he's done.  I'm not saying he's still elite.  I'm just saying it's too early to say he's done.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So the penalty for hitting the center had no effect on the game?  How about Houston jumping off sides?  How about Ebron dropping a td pass?  Here didn't lose the game single handed.   He did have a bad game though

I still don't understand a catch or a drop in the NFL. Don't care what they said it was a catch in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Did you also want to cut Peyton Manning when he threw 6 picks against the Chargers? Bad games happen.  These guys are human.  If he has multiple bad games, then maybe it's time for him to retire or for the Colts to move on.  But one bad game doesn't mean he's done.  I'm not saying he's still elite.  I'm just saying it's too early to say he's done.

 

Too early?  He’s 46!

 

He’d never have missed those kicks 10 years ago and everybody knows it.

 

And combine it with his misses in the KC game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Running pretty well up the middle and no pass rush from the middle.

 

Hunt, Autry, Lewis, and Stewart are not a playoff caliber DT package.  We shall see how the season goes.

TBH, after all the talk of Autry, I really expected a DOMINANT showing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He was 23 of 27 last year.   

Last year doesn't win games this year. With Luck sticking it to the team 2 weeks before the season starts, the rest of the team needs to step up. Did Vinni? Is that what is going to inspire rookie players. Or is this just the result of the franchise qb saying too bad so sad Im done and best wishes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So the penalty for hitting the center had no effect on the game?  How about Houston jumping off sides?  How about Ebron dropping a td pass?  Here didn't lose the game single handed.   He did have a bad game though

Yes. Those penalties are intangible and you can’t say how they would have changed the game. What we can say is that he simply didn’t do his job. He cost the game. Period. I would call a missed FG a bad day. Two FG and an XP? He failed everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I still don't understand a catch or a drop in the NFL. Don't care what they said it was a catch in my book.

Trying to figure out the nfl rules to see if it’s a catch

5AEEBFAD-69F1-46DE-A228-BD22702274FD.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

Yes. Those penalties are intangible and you can’t say how they would have changed the game. What we can say is that he simply didn’t do his job. He cost the game. Period. I would call a missed FG a bad day. Two FG and an XP? He failed everyone. 

If not for the penalty on the FG by the chargers,  they get 3 points instead of seven.   That's not intangible ( not the right word for the situation)  it was a direct result of 4 extra points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Then any missed FG in any game where a team loses by less points than the amount of FG missed, like 2 pts sometimes, is the kickers fault for losing the game?

 

The way I see it.

 

That dropped punt is how we got the ball for him to miss one of the FGs we're complaining about, I think.

 

And we scored a two point conversion to offset the missed PAT

 

The defense failed to stop Rivers at anytime, until Rivers stopped himself by choosing to throw it late in the middle of the endzone.

 

And we actually lost the game by the D hardly challenging SD moving the ball on us in OT.

 

His job is to kick a ball. There is only one way he can mess up really. He really messed up today. He cost us this game. I would give him the benefit of the doubt if it was one FG. He missed four in 16 games all last year. There were two missed today alone. We won’t even count the XP since it was made up by the two point conversion. If you want to count the intangibles of penalties and defenses not stopping the opposing offense then fine. They have much more complicated jobs with a lot more that can go wrong. Vinny does not have an easy job, and I could t go it.... but it’s pretty straightforward. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • From WalterFootball's coverage of the Senior Bowl.  FWIW, he has already been harsh about Love's field vision. And he has him ranked as either 6th or 8th out of the QBs in the draft.   In the one-on-ones without a defensive or offensive line, Love seemed to throw the wrong route on one play, tossed the pass far behind Notre Dame's massive wideout Chase Claypool on another, and had a few other throws on which his accuracy was off. On the flip side, Love made some excellent passes, including a pretty corner post route to Ohio State wideout K.J. Hill after he got open against Wake Forest's Essang Bassey. Love had another nicely located pass to USC's Michael Pittman Jr. after he got some separation by turning vertically versus Utah's Terrell Burgess. Love had some rough moments in the team scrimmage, including plays where he didn't see the field well. He also threw a ball up for grabs in the deep middle of the field like it was a wounded duck and was fortunate a defender could not chase the ball down for an interception. Love has a very good skill set, but his field vision is a crushing weakness at this time. It will be important for him to show improvement there over the next two practices to help his draft stock.
    • He should make a rap song about him never playing again.
    • Congrats on a great career Eli, you and your team won 2 SB's over the Patriots including beating an undefeated Patriots team in 2007. If a QB wins 2 SB's or more as a starter they belong in the HOFame IMO. 12 QB's have won 2 or more SB's: Terry Bradshaw (4) Made it Joe Montana (4) Made it Troy Aikman (3) Made it Bart Starr (2) Made it Bob Griese (2) Made it Roger Staubach (2) Made it John Elway (2) Made it -those 7 are in the HOFame   Obviously these guys will get in Tom Brady (6) Peyton Manning (2) Ben Roethlisberger (2) -that will be 10 in   Jim Plunkett is the only QB in NFL History to win 2 SB's as a starter and not be in the HOFame after he was eligible. Eli Manning will get in and should.    Any good QB can get hot in a certain season or even a game manager can just do everything right to win 1 SB. A QB that wins 2 as a starter though is no joke. Do it twice, that is special.  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...