Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Jacoby Brissett has a big backer in Bill Parcells

jszfunk

https://nypost.com/2019/09/08/why-jacoby-brissett-has-a-big-backer-in-bill-parcells/

Two years ago, when the Colts acquired quarterback Jacoby Brissett from the Patriots in a trade, I spoke to Bill Parcells about it, and he gushed about Brissett. He compared the QB to Curtis Martin, Troy Brown and Willie McGinest — three of Belichick’s former players whose character he embraced as much if not more than their production on the field.

Parcells, 78 now, has known Brissett since he was 15 and playing high school ball in South Florida — not far from where the former Giants, Patriots and Jets coach spends his winters, in Jupiter. Parcells used to watch him play, then followed his college games at N.C. State and eventually became an unofficial adviser of his.

Parcells doesn’t toss figurative bouquets of flowers around on a whim, so his high praise of Brissett always was good enough for me, based on the respect I have for Parcells and his evaluation of people.

So now, with Andrew Luck’s sudden retirement on Aug. 24, Brissett is in a position to prove Parcells’ assessment true. The Colts are his team now.

“You never really know for sure until you see a player under the gun,’’ Parcells said at the time. “But I have a very high regard for this young man. He’s an awesome kid. He’s very bright. He has zero personal issues. He’s a very dedicated, committed guy.’’

Parcells, who says Brissett is like a son to him, is so emotionally invested in him that he’s preferred not to speak about him now, opting to let the kid play and grow.

The Colts, unlike so many NFL teams that are seemingly in constant search for a franchise quarterback, have been spoiled for more than 20 years. They had two quarterbacks who were No. 1-overall picks in their respective drafts — Peyton Manning in 1998 and Luck in 2012.

But with the surprise Luck retirement, the Colts now tread in unchartered waters as they open the season Sunday against the Chargers in Los Angeles.

“I know this about Jacoby: He will not flinch,” Colts general manager Chris Ballard told reporters this week.

It’s no accident that’s the Colts staved off trade offers for Brissett in the past two years. He just signed to a two-year, $30 million contract to stay with the Colts, which will seem like a bargain if he performs the way Parcells believes he will.

When Colts coach Frank Reich, a backup for most of his 13-year NFL career, sat down Brissett for a long talk after Luck’s retirement, he implored Brissett to be himself, not to try and be like Luck.

The Colts were 4-11 with Brissett as the starter in 2017 with Luck was out with a shoulder injury. But the Colts had a bad team around him then. Brissett was 276-of-469 for 3,098 yards, 13 touchdowns and seven interceptions and he was sacked an NFL-high 52 times.

The Colts’ rebuilt offensive line allowed an NFL-low 18 sacks last season. There are better skill position players around him and a better defense.

“Jacoby is going to be Jacoby,” tight end Eric Ebron told reporters this week. “He’s business on the field, in our meetings. He’s not changing his personality [as the starter], and that’s what you want. You don’t want somebody trying to be somebody they’re truly not.”

• Like 2