Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Nevis A 3-4 End

oldunclemark

I think he said he played at about 310 last year. His height is the only concern. Usually 3-4 ends are in the 6'4" to 6'6" range. He will probably move up and down the line and play a role in dime sets and goal line. I'm sure Pagano will find a way to get hime on the field if he feels he is that talented.

No, he isn't.

Are any of our guys suited for the 3-4?

If we're running short of money to spend on FA, and Freeney is staying on his original contract, we have MANY roster spots to fill.

Should we expect some trades?

Is there a maximum number of UDFSs that can be picked up?

If we're running short of money to spend on FA, and Freeney is staying on his original contract, we have MANY roster spots to fill.

We just signed Redding who is, and Moala has experience as a 3-4 DE at USC.

Coming from a football coach, no. Nevis isn't a 3-4 DE. He's a 4-3 under tackle that has the ability to play the 3 technique like a Warren Sapp. He'll be great in pass rush situations in the Nickel and Dime packages, but he'll just get pushed around even as a 1 gap 3-4 DE. I'm sure Pagano and Manusky realize that too.

We have some guys who can play an effective role in a 3-4 front. I think Mathis will be very effective as a stand-up rusher, and I think Hughes is better suited to be a stand-up rusher than an end. Moala can play five-tech tackle/end. Conner and Angerer can play inside linebacker. Wheeler (who is a FA) can play OLB and stand-up rusher.

And honestly, Nevis is a really good player who might be able to play five-tech. I just think, based on the way other good three-techs have taken the transition to five-tech, that we'd be limiting his effectiveness if we asked him to play five-tech extensively. We'd be frustrating him and taking him out of his comfort zone.

I think something will happen with Freeney's contract, one way or the other. Regardless, we still have roster spots to fill. I think we have about 35 players under contract at this point, and even with nine draft picks (including our projected compensatories), we'll need nine more players to get to 53. Then another 27 camp bodies. There is no limit to the number of UDFAs you can sign, but you can't go into camp with more than 80 players, and you have to get down to 53 (plus 8 practice squad players) by the first Monday of Week 1.

I don't think we'll take on any more salary in trades. The only trades I see us making would include Freeney and draft picks.

And again, I don't know anything. JMO.

Coming from a football coach, no. Nevis isn't a 3-4 DE. He's a 4-3 under tackle that has the ability to play the 3 technique like a Warren Sapp. He'll be great in pass rush situations in the Nickel and Dime packages, but he'll just get pushed around even as a 1 gap 3-4 DE. I'm sure Pagano and Manusky realize that too.

You would think so, but NFL coaches try to play guys out of position all the time, with poor results. Like the Raiders moving Sapp to five-tech end. Or even last year in San Diego, Manusky used Antonio Garay as a 2-gap tackle, when he's better as a 1-gap tackle. The Chargers defense took a huge step backward. That's not the only reason, but it's part of it. And the guy responsible for that is our coordinator now.

Part of the reason NFL coaches play guys in different positions is because it's hard to find the prototypical 2-gap 3-4 linemen that they want, so they take guys with talent and try to force them into a different position. Sometimes it works (Antonio Smith), and other times, it's not effective (Garay).

You would think so, but NFL coaches try to play guys out of position all the time, with poor results. Like the Raiders moving Sapp to five-tech end. Or even last year in San Diego, Manusky used Antonio Garay as a 2-gap tackle, when he's better as a 1-gap tackle. The Chargers defense took a huge step backward. That's not the only reason, but it's part of it. And the guy responsible for that is our coordinator now.

Part of the reason NFL coaches play guys in different positions is because it's hard to find the prototypical 2-gap 3-4 linemen that they want, so they take guys with talent and try to force them into a different position. Sometimes it works (Antonio Smith), and other times, it's not effective (Garay).

To be fair, Manusky was running the defense as a part of his HC's or organizations scheme. Plus, coordinators don't make the call on who plays where, that's on their HC or GM (which is the likely senario in SD).

I think both Moala and Nevis could see time at DE on a 3-4 front. Perhaps as a rotational on the weak side with Redding, perhaps, playing the Ngata role as the strong side DE in a 3-4 front.

An article I read on NFL.com stated the Colts started FA about 13 million under the cap, so they have plenty of cap space.

Plus I don't think the Colts have a ton of holes to fill

On O they need a guard, a TE and some WR depth. They are putting all their apples in the Luck barrel so there will be a 2nd tier FA QB (possibly Henne) and a late round QB (Case Keenum, I hope).

On D the front 7 is pretty solid, a lot of people will claim the Colts need help in the secondary, but I think KT and Rucker are both CBs that Pagano will like and I won't be surprised to see Powers in more of a nickel role this year. I would also like to see some more depth at safety. I think either Lefeged or Caldwell could do well but am upgrade would not be frowned upon.

I think both Moala and Nevis could see time at DE on a 3-4 front. Perhaps as a rotational on the weak side with Redding, perhaps, playing the Ngata role as the strong side DE in a 3-4 front.

An article I read on NFL.com stated the Colts started FA about 13 million under the cap, so they have plenty of cap space.

Plus I don't think the Colts have a ton of holes to fill

On O they need a guard, a TE and some WR depth. They are putting all their apples in the Luck barrel so there will be a 2nd tier FA QB (possibly Henne) and a late round QB (Case Keenum, I hope).

On D the front 7 is pretty solid, a lot of people will claim the Colts need help in the secondary, but I think KT and Rucker are both CBs that Pagano will like and I won't be surprised to see Powers in more of a nickel role this year. I would also like to see some more depth at safety. I think either Lefeged or Caldwell could do well but am upgrade would not be frowned upon.

I really think the roster is shaping nicely, even for this year. We might actually pull off a 9+ win season.

I really think the roster is shaping nicely, even for this year. We might actually pull off a 9+ win season.

Could be, hard to say with a rookie QB, even as great as Manning was he went 3-13 his rookie season. But I think the two biggest things that prevented the Colts from being a 6-9 win team last year was (in order of importance) the DC and lack of at least mediocre play from the QB position.

Yeah, very inconsistent play at qb with Collins, painter. We never built that dominate d, was more about speed. With our o unable to do anything our d just always got wore down creating a domino effect. Oh, did I mention our st play sucks bawls also?

Not saying our d will be ravens or steeler tough first year. But I think our team will be built to take more pressure off luck.

Could be, hard to say with a rookie QB, even as great as Manning was he went 3-13 his rookie season. But I think the two biggest things that prevented the Colts from being a 6-9 win team last year was (in order of importance) the DC and lack of at least mediocre play from the QB position.

S*** Dan O, who I wouldn't even consider mediocre, was able to pull out a couple W's. Before he even takes an NFL snap, Luck is better than Orlovsky and Painter. He will have some growing pains but I think he can get it together fast. The D, under Pagano's direction will shed this 'soft' off coverage ^cowpatties^ we've overkilled the last few years. I love the idea of an attacking defense.

S*** Dan O, who I wouldn't even consider mediocre, was able to pull out a couple W's. Before he even takes an NFL snap, Luck is better than Orlovsky and Painter. He will have some growing pains but I think he can get it together fast. The D, under Pagano's direction will shed this 'soft' off coverage ^cowpatties^ we've overkilled the last few years. I love the idea of an attacking defense.

I agree about the defense, I am looking forward to actually having a real defense. Although it won't happen overnight and there are far more holes on the D than the offense, especially now that they will be using the 3-4.

I agree about the defense, I am looking forward to actually having a real defense. Although it won't happen overnight and there are far more holes on the D than the offense, especially now that they will be using the 3-4.

I don't know about that.

I think we can all agree that our bad cornerback play had more to do with the 8 yard cushions. Play them all a little closer to the WR and the offense doesn't complete 80% of their passes. We're set at FS with Bethea, and I may be a little biased because I wanted him out of college, but I think Lefeged may have a future in this league as a SS....not as a kick returner though. MLBs are set with Angerer and Conner I'd say. Freeney's situation aside, we're close to set with pass rushers, especially if Hughes can get it together, which I think he will with some opportunities. If we retain Anderson I like a DE rotation of Redding, Anderson, Moala, and Matthews. Nevis may not be a true Nose in the traditional sense, but he definitely fits the Bum Phillips NT role. I really don't think the team's holes are as pronounced as others say.

Also they better keep my guy Wheeler.

I wouldnt say its impossible for him to make the transition but it will be difficult. He has to learn to play the 5 technique outside of the tackle and control 2 gaps. For a guy that has been playing inside and asked to control one gap, it's gonna be tough. Another problem is his height. You typically want your DEs in the 3-4 to have good length as tackles tend to have long arms (really DEs should have a big wingspan in general).

He's a talented player so he has a shot id say.

Moala should be a natural fit. He played it in college and he's a taller DT who has good reach.