Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 Colts Captains announced

MTC

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No one on the OL is a bit of a surprise to me. Thought for sure at least Castonzo or Nelson might get one. Good for Leonard too. Can’t say enough about how much of a steal he was.

lineman like to be out of the shadows and its less movement for them saving all that energy for game day hahaha

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Definitely should have an OL as a C.

I love AV, but not as a C.

Too early IMO for JB.

A little surprised about Geathers given some of the hoopla around Willis.

TY and Leonard are the only ones that are absolute locks to me.

You understand the players vote for this.    The coaches don't pick.   The guys actually in the locker room know who the leaders are.  Fans have no clue

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You understand the players vote for this.    The coaches don't pick.   The guys actually in the locker room know who the leaders are.  Fans have no clue

Why would how they were picked impact my surprise at some of the names, or opinion?

I know we've went back and forth over the last 10 years (how they are selected), and IIRC, for the last 5-6 years, they've been voted on by the team. Prior to Luck, I think they even rotated TCs every week. Anyway, doesn't really matter in terms of my reaction.

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Why would how they were picked impact my surprise at some of the names, or opinion?

I know we've went back and forth over the last 10 years (how they are selected), and IIRC, for the last 5-6 years, they've been voted on by the team. Prior to Luck, I think they even rotated TCs every week. Anyway, doesn't really matter in terms of my reaction.

The players choose.   They know who the leaders are.   Your reaction means nothing

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

However my opinion is based on fact,  while yours is based on .. well whatever you based it on

The thread was created to communicate the news of the new captains, and gain reaction. I listed my reaction. A reaction is not "fact", it's an opinion. You're reaction to my reaction is "you know nothing, whatever the team does is right". That's not really fact either... It's an opinion of my opinion. We don't have to agree. I'd point out that every democratically elected position, team or government, doesn't always turn out to be correct. It's just what those voting want at the time. If you prefer to be the opinion  police, fine, carry on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The thread was created to communicate the news of the new captains, and gain reaction. I listed my reaction. A reaction is not "fact", it's an opinion. You're reaction to my reaction is "you know nothing, whatever the team does is right". That's not really fact either... It's an opinion of my opinion. We don't have to agree. I'd point out that every democratically elected position, team or government, doesn't always turn out to be correct. It's just what those voting want at the time. If you prefer to be the opinion  police, fine, carry on.

Thanks.   Those in the know is who I believe

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Your opinion on his opinion of your opinion is bad... and that's my opinion. Ok?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Thanks.   Those in the know is who I believe

If all team mates voting for team captains each year are always correct because they are "in the know", why do you have guys like Tyreek Hill who was voted a captain in KC last year. Not sure if you've ever coached, but both players and coaches can make mistakes. I'm not saying they have this year, but they are certainly not infallible. 

31 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Viniateri is an automatic Captain... Why? Because he's older than half of the head coaches in this league and this team respects their elders, ok?

I get it, I'm just not a fan of STs captains unless they are returners. It's a personal preference. I love AV so it really doesn't bother me.

30 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Your opinion on his opinion of your opinion is bad... and that's my opinion. Ok?

Sure it's OK. But.... I think your opinion, of my opinion, on his opinion, of my opinion is bad! 

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Too early IMO for JB.

It’s not too early for Brissett. Go back to 2017. You can see how vocal he was on the sidelines during games and really helped lead them in Luck’s offense. Ballard has said repeatedly that he’s a rare leader. Even when Luck had his pro-bowl season last year, Ballard talked about how he denied trade requests because Jacoby was and important presence in the locker room. Seems to be true now that his teammates have voted him as a captain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s not too early for Brissett. Go back to 2017. You can see how vocal he was on the sidelines during games and really helped lead them in Luck’s offense. Ballard has said repeatedly that he’s a rare leader. Even when Luck had his pro-bowl season last year, Ballard talked about how he denied trade requests because Jacoby was and important presence in the locker room. Seems to be true now that his teammates have voted him as a captain.

It's purely my opinion and I'm a bit old school. I just prefer Cs go to guys that are both great locker room/team guys plus players who have unquestionable results on the field. JB is definitely an established voice in the locker room and fantastic human being. Honest question though. What if god forbid the team struggles and we're sitting at 1-5, 3-8, or something similar, and all of a sudden there's a QB controversy and the FO decides to make a switch. Now all of sudden you have a C that's been benched. 

I know that most teams have moved from coaches picking, to players voting. It works out great most of the time. Sometimes it doesn't. The good thing though, is that JB is a class guy and if a change is made, he'll handle it well. I'm just not a fan of putting a C on anyone that hasn't established themselves via game performance (W/L).

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It's purely my opinion and I'm a bit old school. I just prefer Cs go to guys that are both great locker room/team guys plus players who have unquestionable results on the field. JB is definitely an established voice in the locker room and fantastic human being. Honest question though. What if god forbid the team struggles and we're sitting at 1-5, 3-8, or something similar, and all of a sudden there's a QB controversy and the FO decides to make a switch. Now all of sudden you have a C that's been benched. 

I know that most teams have moved from coaches picking, to players voting. It works out great most of the time. Sometimes it doesn't. The good thing though, is that JB is a class guy and if a change is made, he'll handle it well. I'm just not a fan of putting a C on anyone that hasn't established themselves via game performance (W/L).

No idea why you're struggling so hard for this one.  It's not even up to the fans, man,  And the title is pretty meaningless outside the clubhouse.

Just because Brissett hasn't shown YOU enough yet doesn't mean he's not a huge presence in the clubhouse.  You need to slow your roll and think things through a bit better.  You're really out to lunch on this one man.

Also there's literally zero indication from the team itself that there's any QB controversy.  Jacoby Brissett is the starter.  Brian Hoyer is the backup.  Chad Kelly is a project QB who's being developed for his potential down the road, not this year. 

Even if we struggle, I don't expect that to change, not this year.  Hoyer will get starts before Kelly will.  And Hoyer will probably not start this year.  Brissett is our starter for 2019.  Accept it, work with it, love it.  Or at least deal with it because it's happening whether you like it or not.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

In that case nothing changes. You win as a team and lose as a team. That includes captains as well. Geathers is a captain and he was one last year, and he isn’t exactly an elite player. You’re looking for leaders to hold people accountable and motivate teammates to give their all. That has nothing to do with on the field production. Plus he’s the QB. He should be a leader. When people scout QBs one of the most important intangibles they look at is leadership ability. When Mitchell Trubisky was coming out, one of the biggest questions surrounding him was why he wasn’t a captain.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:40 PM, EastStreet said:

Too early IMO for JB.

Seems like the players KNOW who their leaders are, and you have an odd view on how to manufacture the process.
 That Geathers/Willis "surprise" opinion is as far out there as one can get.
It is all ok though, no one is going on IR from it.