Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard going to be handing out the cash

Restinpeacesweetchloe

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With this list Ballard is going to be like Santa Clause this off season. I would like to see them extend Mack if he has a good season. Will be interesting if any of those other guys get extended early. I bet they franchise AC.

I doubt they resign both TE's , Sheard, Wilson, and Mack.

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think if Mack has a great season they will give him a couple extra years. With as little as he makes getting him signed early would be the right thing to do. Don’t think it will a ton of years. Wilson I need to see because he will have a different role this year. I wouldn’t be shocked if they make him play out all four years. I need to see walker beside Leonard for years to come. I would feel so bad with as much as Darius loves him. They make a great duo. That might depend on if OKEREKE shows any flashes this season. 

Can you Franchise a guy two years in a row? With AC age that might be the way to go. Stephen Holder said AC told him last week no talks are going on right now. Which leads me to believe they will Franchise him.

I thought if DF played well we would resign him but with Campbell playing well maybe we won’t. But with Cain and Campbell on rookie contracts I think we can afford to keep DF.

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I need to see walker beside Leonard for years to come. I would feel so bad with as much as Darius loves him.

That remains to be seen.  I honestly don't care how much Leonard loves Walker...if another MLB comes along that is an upgrade then I have no problem with Walker being replaced.  I'm not saying just yet that he needs to be upgraded, but I don't think it's set in stone yet that he doesn't either.

42 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With this list Ballard is going to be like Santa Clause this off season. I would like to see them extend Mack if he has a good season. Will be interesting if any of those other guys get extended early. I bet they franchise AC.

I think this will be Sheard's last year as a Colt, due to age and injuries.  Wilson has to prove himself this year with the loaded DB field we have or he'll be gone.  Hooker and Mack are locks to get paid big time.  Ebron will likely get re-signed unless he plays badly. Doyle is probably gone due to injuries, unless he stays healthy all year. Funchess is really the only question mark there. Castonzo with his age, I think he MIGHT get tagged but i think depending on how we do at QB, we may be drafting his replacement sooner than later in this draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J@son said:

That remains to be seen.  I honestly don't care how much Leonard loves Walker...if another MLB comes along that is an upgrade then I have no problem with Walker being replaced.  I'm not saying just yet that he needs to be upgraded, but I don't think it's set in stone yet that he doesn't either.

Here's the thing with Walker.  He provides something more than just his physical skills, when he was out a couple games last year, we suffered on D big time, mainly with schemes and play recognition, until someone else steps up in that role, I think Walker is safe to come back 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J@son said:

I get that. I think walker is a pretty dang good Lb. He is the most underrated guy on this team.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think this will be Sheard's last year as a Colt, due to age and injuries.  Wilson has to prove himself this year with the loaded DB field we have or he'll be gone.  Hooker and Mack are locks to get paid big time.  Ebron will likely get re-signed unless he plays badly. Doyle is probably gone due to injuries, unless he stays healthy all year. Funchess is really the only question mark there. Castonzo with his age, I think he MIGHT get tagged but i think depending on how we do at QB, we may be drafting his replacement sooner than later in this draft.

Sheard played 32 games the last two seasons. If he comes back and stays healthy I would hope he will stay. But if the young guys step up he might not. 

I do think we can afford to resign DF is he plays well since Cain and Campbell are on rookie deals. But the time they are up DF contact could be up. 

I don’t like the idea of drafting a LT and starting them right away. That really would kill this oline. AC needs to give us a couple of more years to develop some one.

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Here's the thing with Walker.  He provides something more than just his physical skills, when he was out a couple games last year, we suffered on D big time, mainly with schemes and play recognition, until someone else steps up in that role, I think Walker is safe to come back 

Agreed on all counts.  I'm just saying I'm not ready to say he's the MLB of the future.  We definitely suffered when he was out last year, but we had an incredibly young and inexperienced LB corp at the time.  If I had to say right now...I'd probably rather have Walker as the top backup than the starting Mike, but he's still young and can improve so...we'll just see how it plays out. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What is interesting is Holder suspects a couple more extensions but said AC told him he was not in talks.

Ballard and AC also said earlier that talks would happen and both wanted a deal.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sheard played 32 games the last two seasons. If he comes back and stays healthy I would hope he will stay. But if the young guys step up he might not. 

I do think we can afford to resign DF is he plays well since Cain and Campbell are on rookie deals. But the time they are up DF contact could be up. 

I don’t like the idea of drafting a LT and starting them right away. That really would kill this oline. AC needs to give us a couple of more years to develop some one.

That's why I think depending on how good this year goes, they'll draft a LT high, at the minimum Tag AC, then groom the new LT to take his place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I bet AC wouldn’t even care if he got tagged the last year. Can they tag the same person two years in a row. I just hope AC doesn’t have retirement on his mind after this year with luck leaving.

yes, they can tag two times in a row. price just jumps up a TON.  They can also use a couple other tags that allow him to receive offers and then they get the choice to match it or get draft picks in return, usually 2 first rounders

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I bet AC wouldn’t even care if he got tagged the last year. Can they tag the same person two years in a row. I just hope AC doesn’t have retirement on his mind after this year with luck leaving.

The tag this year was just over $14M for o-lineman.
He can get a 3yr offer from many teams with $20+ fully guaranteed.
So yes, being tagged would not be good for AC.
 If he is healthy, i could see us extending him sooner rather than later.
  He and Q make for a very solid left side that is for sure.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The tag this year was just over $14M for o-lineman.
He can get a 3yr offer from many teams with $20+ fully guaranteed.
So yes, being tagged would not be good for AC.
 If he is healthy, i could see us extending him sooner rather than later.
  He and Q make for a very solid left side that is for sure.

My point was maybe he doesn’t want to play three more years. He did mention on JMV he isn’t a young guy anymore and really isn’t into getting top dollar like he would be if it’s his second contact.

21 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Franchise Tags-

Exclusive:  Player cannot negotiate with other teams, only with current club.
A one year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position for the current year, or 120 percent of his previous salary, whichever is greater.

Non Exclusive: The player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team has the right to match any offer, or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation if he signs with another organization.
A one year tender offer for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position over the last five years, or 120 percent of his previous salary, whichever is greater.

Transition tag: Player can negotiate with other teams. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player might receive from another club. However, the tagging team is awarded no compensation if it chooses not to match a deal.
The transition designation is a one-year tender offer for an amount that is the average of the top 10 salaries at the position.

A player can be tagged up to three times by his team, with a jump in pay each occurrence. For a player to be franchise tagged two straight years, the team must pay 120 percent of the player's previous salary (which is based off one of the above). If it's three straight years, the team must pay the player (any position) 144 percent of his previous salary or, I believe, the average of top 5 QB salary, whichever is greater.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 2:51 PM, Chloe6124 said:

My priority wouldn’t be with Re-signing a guy we have contract control of already, I’d keep the eyes on my FA personnel first and then keep my options open for a rare pass rusher to somehow be gettable. Then I’d start on my future year guys.

I’d like Hooker #1 futures guy, then Mack then Walker and Wilson if he is even in the picture by then. He has a ways to show before he gets a fat contract look imho. 

As for my FA guys, I’m starting with AC. Give me a 3 contract that is really a 2 if we want out in that third year. Draft a suitable replacement for AC at the start of year two and allow him to push AC and challenge him, if AC wins the battle he starts that season and we do it again year three. If Cb took the right guy, he should overtake AC start of year 3 in camp and you move on from there.  Business. 

As for Ebron and Funch, I think it’s possible one or both could be resigned depending on their year and the new kids. MAC could be Enron’s replacement and we know Fountain was dazzling everyone. See how Cain plays, Pascal. I mean we have tons of options for receiver. Doyle, well I see us keeping Hentges means his days are numbered if Hentges shows up as he did in preseason. Big step up though. We will see. 

On 9/4/2019 at 3:00 PM, dw49 said:

Doubt Sheard is back

On 9/4/2019 at 3:36 PM, csmopar said:

Agreed 

On 9/4/2019 at 3:36 PM, csmopar said:

Castonzo is a priority until a replacement appears.  Seems so hard to find a good LT.  I do t know about tagging either.  Age is a concern.  

I don't think they will have to franchise AC.  He has even mentioned he knows he's getting older.  I think he signs a fair deal so he can retire as a Colt.  Mack has to really have a good year before I would consider extending him.  There are a number of more important players that should get extended first.  Big prove it year for him I think. 

20 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

What has Mack done to deserve an extension?  I am saying this as he really hasn't done enough, at this point, to justify the money he could reap?

I think he has to ball out and show how good he can be this year. I don’t think he gets it early with a bad or average year. With as little as he is making and the short shelf life of RB I think the right thing to do is give him one after the season if he has a big year.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think he has to ball out and show how good he can be this year. I don’t think he gets it early with a bad or average year. With as little as he is making and the short shelf life of RB I think the right thing to do is give him one after the season if he has a big year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MackMa00.htm

These are rather pedestrian numbers, plus he is in year 3 of a 4 year contract.

4 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MackMa00.htm

These are rather pedestrian numbers, plus he is in year 3 of a 4 year contract.

Did you read what I said. I said only if he shows he is a top back this year I know he is in the 3 year. What I said was if he has a career year giving him a few extra years with how little he is making would be the right thing to do.  

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did you read what I said. I said only if he shows he is a top back this year I know he is in the 3 year. What I said was if he has a career year giving him a few extra years with how little he is making would be the right thing to do.  

I did, and he hasn't shown that he is a top back to this point.  his numbers show that.

53 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

I did, and he hasn't shown that he is a top back to this point.  his numbers show that.

His numbers last year were greatly improved, not far off from top guys. But I agree, we will find out if that was a flash in the pan or something else

• Like 3