Indianapolis Colts
Hoose

Do the Colts put Chad Kelly on the 53 man roster after his suspension is over?

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Did someone say debate class? Back when I was a wee pup at Harvard Law, the debate team was especially my fav. 

I once debated a wooden post

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I once debated a wooden post

Your arguments then were probably just as wooden then as they are now....man, my jokes are getting even worse as I age.

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Funny post.   Of the three he is the only one to be arrested for stumbling into a stranger's home

Details, details...

14 hours ago, bhougland said:

Do you honestly believe other teams are not scouring the waver wire everyday?  They probably have systems with automated alerts to ensure they don't miss out, and at the very least have someone that this a significant part of their job assignment.

I'm pretty sure that other teams are scouring the waiver wire.  And maybe that was the plan all along.  I think most of us suspect that the Colts took Chad on, at least partially, as a favor to Jim Kelly, giving his nephew one last chance to salvage his NFL career.  The hope may have been that Chad could at least show enough talent and an improvement in maturity that some team needing a backup or a practice squad QB would pick him up when he was inevitably cut at the end of preseason. 

Then the plan went up in puff of smoke. With the QB depth chart blown to smithereens just two weeks from the first real game, what do you do? You have a starting QB who may or may not be up to the task. You sign a veteran backup, who is probably the best guy you could get on short notice, but signed to a longer contract than the two weeks that the fans wanted. And you've got "the project" kid, who balled out in preseason, but the Colts don't seem to trust him enough yet to put him in the co-pilot's seat. So, do you keep three QBs on the 53, which means you carry one less of something else? Or do you take your chances that Kelly will clear waivers and go to the practice squad? I suppose we'd better leave that decision to Ballard and Reich, because none of us have Jack B. Diddlysquat to say about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don't think all or even most of us are assuming we know for sure what Jacoby is at this point.

Most everybody has an opinion on what they think he might be, but it seems like most of those same people are waiting to actually see how he fares this season before making final judgments. Just the impression I've gotten.

I hope that’s the case, I’m just worried that people are going to disappoint themselves when JB doesn’t turn out to be Luck Reborn or the worst quarterback ever. Just seems like we’re talking about drafting a new guy without even watching JB. Just my opinion

6 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Did someone say debate class? Back when I was a wee pup at Harvard Law, the debate team was especially my fav. 

Lol I enjoyed debate as well, too bad most people these days don't know how or there wouldn't be so much violence....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I'm pretty sure that other teams are scouring the waiver wire.  And maybe that was the plan all along.  I think most of us suspect that the Colts took Chad on, at least partially, as a favor to Jim Kelly, giving his nephew one last chance to salvage his NFL career.  The hope may have been that Chad could at least show enough talent and an improvement in maturity that some team needing a backup or a practice squad QB would pick him up when he was inevitably cut at the end of preseason. 

Then the plan went up in puff of smoke. With the QB depth chart blown to smithereens just two weeks from the first real game, what do you do? You have a starting QB who may or may not be up to the task. You sign a veteran backup, who is probably the best guy you could get on short notice, but signed to a longer contract than the two weeks that the fans wanted. And you've got "the project" kid, who balled out in preseason, but the Colts don't seem to trust him enough yet to put him in the co-pilot's seat. So, do you keep three QBs on the 53, which means you carry one less of something else? Or do you take your chances that Kelly will clear waivers and go to the practice squad? I suppose we'd better leave that decision to Ballard and Reich, because none of us have Jack B. Diddlysquat to say about it. 

Good take, I was thinking something similar.  However, Ballard and Frank were aware of Luck waffling on retirement as early as last year, so maybe they wanted some young talent behind Brissett just in case.  In pure Ballard style they choose someone that could push Brissett.

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am curious if all these posters are new posters. Were they here before chad Kelly?

oh i was here, i just never thought that much of Jacoby.  watched him closely in 2017, training camp and preseason

i see a guy who is not accurate, doesnt move well and is slow to make reads.   he was fine for a backup, im not convinced hes the answer 

kelly may not be the answer either, i just think hes worth a look when the other option is JB

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

oh i was here, i just never thought that much of Jacoby.  watched him closely in 2017, training camp and preseason

i see a guy who is not accurate, doesnt move well and is slow to make reads.   he was fine for a backup, im not convinced hes the answer 

kelly may not be the answer either, i just think hes worth a look when the other option is JB

Indeed. Having watched NFL for decades, in my dumb non-expert opinion, Brissett has the look of a backup QB whereas Kelly has the look of a starter. He’s more athletic in the pocket, moves better, has more situational awareness, and has that quick release “zip” that you see from the good NFL starters where the ball is shot out of a cannon yet has a touch that makes it very catchable.

I suspect if he was more reliable off the field and didn’t have the suspension, there’d have been an actual QB battle this past preseason. But of course that’s just a fantasy and not the reality. 

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

I think this is same argument that many here made about the Stephan Morris vs. Scott Tolzien.  I don't think any of us were saying Stephan Morris looked amazing, but that he looked better than Scott Tolzien.  Morris supporters were ridiculed and basically told to shut up and trust Pagano, but lo and behold.....

The difference now is that while Jacoby is a good backup, I saw things from Chad that I don't think Jacoby could do.  On the flip side, Jacoby is known for his long ball and strong arm, but so is Chad.  Also, Chad has that gunslinger, Bret Farve type determination that will win you football games when you are close or down in the fourth quarter.  I don't know if he is better than Jacoby or not, but I think the organization is in a situation where we have to find out and not "crown" anyone prematurely.

Not including Chad in on the 53 man roster is in my opinion a dereliction of duty on the coaching staff.  If that happens I think they are trying to create the illusion that Jacoby is a franchise QB, when really no one knows yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2019 at 5:33 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

and hes still on the colts. hes not taking JBs spot but hes prolly staying on the team I have no idea why everyone is so against him but whatever 

The truth of the matter is there is a majority on this board against Kelly because they are afraid he will replace their beloved Brissett. They realize that Kelly is good and is only going to get better with time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, bhougland said:

Not including Chad in on the 53 man roster is in my opinion a dereliction of duty on the coaching staff.  If that happens I think they are trying to create the illusion that Jacoby is a franchise QB, when really no one knows yet.

Yep. Ballard gets rid of Kelly to keep some backup somewhere, and it will come back to haunt him and be permanently on Ballard's record.

• Confused 1

On 9/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Just seems like we’re talking about drafting a new guy without even watching JB. 

we have seen him though, hes been here a while now

• Haha 1

not sure why thats funny.  what is funny is Chloe saying we are obsessed with chad when she brings up JB and ebron every other post

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we have seen him though, hes been here a while now

No, we really haven’t. We’ve seen him play behind a team not even Luck could win with, one of the most putrid rosters in Colts history. Other than that, we haven’t seen him other than preseason, which means nothing, and in a blowout against Buffalo where we took our foot off the gas. We haven’t seen 100% JB while playing with a real team. That’s what we’re getting Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i guess we are laugh reacting at anything we disagree with now

maybe you didnt watch him closely in 2017, training camp and preseason  but i did.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

maybe you didnt watch him closely in 2017, training camp and preseason  but i did.  

No I was just laugh reacting because you we’re getting mad that other people were doing it.

Also, preseason really doesn’t mean anything. No one except for bottom tier players are playing full speed, and everyone is playing against other teams’ backups.

Also, don’t you think he might have developed some since then? He has Reich and Sirianni helping him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

There is nothing you can take away from 2017. Te only thing is he had some great plays and showed his potential.

• Like 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

There is nothing you can take away from 2017. Te only thing is he had some great plays and showed his potential.

Exactly, no one but maybe Peyton and Brady could have gotten more wins with that horrible roster and coaching staff

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Be something if Ballard traded Kelly away...

Not a bad idea, if someone’s interested. What do you think we could get for him?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Exactly, no one but maybe Peyton and Brady could have gotten more wins with that horrible roster and coaching staff

Even Luck was 8-8 the year before. I know he played with the bad shoulder but he couldn’t even will that team to a win. Around 2015 to 2016 is when the leftovers from the Polian era started to retire. That’s when grigson really showed he was trash.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

The truth of the matter is there is a majority on this board against Kelly because they are afraid he will replace their beloved Brissett. They realize that Kelly is good and is only going to get better with time.

The majority are against Kelly?   Where are you getting that from?   Against Kelly being the starter over Brissett maybe.   That is logical though.  Brissett has been here for a couple years, knows the system and has the players trust.   Also Ballard and Reich like him best.   

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 10:23 AM, aaron11 said:

Hoyer is the back up now.   Kelly has little chance of getting any playing time while Brissett and Hoyer are healthy.   PS seems the best place for him.

49 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

that doesnt mean JB is good though.  so he gets a pass for being on a bad team, he has a lot to prove now though.  we need a franchise QB, not a backup that got the job by default

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

Hoyer is the back up now.   Kelly has little chance of getting any playing time while Brissett and Hoyer are healthy.   PS seems the best place for him.

would be risky to put him there, could also have 3 qbs.    i guess it comes down to how much you believe in Jacoby.    im certainly not hoping for a bunch of injures so we get down to third string, i just dont trust the top 2 now

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

would be risky to put him there, could also have 3 qbs.    i guess it comes down to how much you believe in Jacoby.    im certainly not hoping for a bunch of injures so we get down to third string, i just dont trust the top 2 now

It appears that the people who matter feel otherwise

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It appears that the people who matter feel otherwise

thats not true, we wont know if Kelly is on the team until after his suspension

it could come down to how the QB play looks the first two weeks too.  if they really stink it up then Kellys changes of making it go up.  injuries and roster spots will be a factor,  a QB could get injured too

Just now, aaron11 said:

thats not true, we wont know if Kelly is on the team until after his suspension

it could come down to how the QB play looks the first two weeks too.  if they really stink it up then Kellys changes of making it go up.  injuries and roster spots will be a factor,  a QB could get injured too

Never said that CK will not be in the 53 but the signing of Hoyer to a multi year contract and resigning of JB indicates that they feel he needs some seasoning 

I do find it strange though they gave Jacoby two years and Hoyer three years. That tells me the team is not sold on Brissett they're just being very hopeful

25 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I do find it strange though they gave Jacoby two years and Hoyer three years. That tells me the team is not sold on Brissett they're just being very hopeful

They can bail on that Brissett contract after this season without taking too much of a cap hit.  If he works out, great. If not, no big loss. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree. The only justification for him being on the 53 is for him to play if something goes wrong with JB. I realize that sounds crazy since Hoyer is being paid to be the "backup", but I still suspect that if JB goes down that Kelly might be the first guy in and not Hoyer. They needed to sign Hoyer because the young QB's could use the leadership and wisdom that he brings and also because the actual backup (Kelly) is unreliable. He could do something stupid week 3 and be off the team and without a guy like Hoyer on the roster the team would be truly effed. 

In other words, as far as actually playing in a game, I think Hoyer is on the roster as a contingency plan in case Kelly screws up again. 

I'm sure I'll get mocked by the usual suspects for that post, but I don't see any other reason why they'd keep him on the 53 (assuming they do when he comes back)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

I disagree. The only justification for him being on the 53 is for him to play if something goes wrong with JB. I realize that sounds crazy since Hoyer is being paid to be the "backup", but I still suspect that if JB goes down that Kelly might be the first guy in and not Hoyer. They needed to sign Hoyer because the young QB's could use the leadership and wisdom that he brings and also because the actual backup (Kelly) is unreliable. He could do something stupid week 3 and be off the team and without a guy like Hoyer on the roster the team would be truly effed. 

In other words, as far as actually playing in a game, I think Hoyer is on the roster as a contingency plan in case Kelly screws up again. 

I'm sure I'll get mocked by the usual suspects for that post, but I don't see any other reason why they'd keep him on the 53 (assuming they do when he comes back)

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.   I think Hoyer was signed to be the backup in case something happens to Brissett.  Kelly is a high risk high reward signing.   I like Kelly, but don't think he's ready yet.   

If Brissett and Kelly both were on waivers, which one would get picked up first by another team?   I think the answer is an easy Brissett.   That tells me that the people who really know football think Brissett is the better QB.   

24 minutes ago, Myles said:

If Brissett and Kelly both were on waivers, which one would get picked up first by another team?   I think the answer is an easy Brissett.   That tells me that the people who really know football think Brissett is the better QB.   

He's the infinitely more reliable and safer QB, so yes Brissett would get picked up first. Disagree on better. We don't have any actual NFL film on Kelly yet so we can't compare them that way, but Kelly looks to have a better skill set and was far more productive than JB in college while playing in a much harder conference. 

Kelly - 22 college starts - 7,641 total yards, 65 TD's, 151.6 QBR

JB - 26 college starts - 6,167 total yards, 52 TD's, 133.5 QBR

1. 347 total yds, 3 TD's a game in SEC

2. 237 total yds, 2 TD's a game in ACC

I'll take door number one if I'm deciding who is the better QB on the field. 

But again, this isn't Madden. Football isn't just a simulation. Brissett is a nice guy with no background issues who has legitimate leadership qualities. Kelly is Slim Shady come to life. Unless Brissett is playing at Ryan Leaf level and Kelly is playing at Drew Brees level, 100 out of 100 teams are taking JB on waivers currently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

not sure why thats funny.  what is funny is Chloe saying we are obsessed with chad when she brings up JB and ebron every other post

ain't that the truth. if JB struggles she will be the 1st to freak out tho lol

• Haha 1