Indianapolis Colts
Jdubu

Roster manipulation

So the unofficial depth chart by the team was released and as you look up and down the roster, I like what I see, either in production history or the high potential for them. 

My major question is, when we have an injury from a guy that’s going to be out 1-4 weeks, what spot do you cut? Maybe RB Williams or Wilkins? can Ryan Lewis? Maybe a Pascal or Rogers? Geez, whoever we cut aside from maybe Lewis ( because we don’t know him), we are going to lose a real talented guy. 

Who is your first 2-3 cuts when that injury occurs that’s not an IR? To add to this difficulty, on week 3, we have to deal with keep Chad Kelly or hope to sneak him on our PS. Maybe he gives us a break and signs with us for taking him on as the favor to Jim Kelly and unless he is given a starters job somewhere, he opts to stay on our PS to battle with Hoyer. Idk 

Just like Jalen Collins no team is going to anoint Chad Kelly as their starter when his suspension is over.

He will be released and if nobody claims him he'll be signed to our practice squad and Phillip Walker will be released.

Other teams don't know the measures (nor do we) of what has been done behind the scenes to assist Jalen and Chad with their off the field issues and quite frankly that will turn away most GM's....

On top of that, look around the league on cut down day at how many young QB's who had productive preseasons got cut. Most of them ended up on the PS of the team that cut them.

I think we'll be safe in stashing him on the PS all year and let him continue to grow and learn. Just my own humble opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Just like Jalen Collins no team is going to anoint Chad Kelly as their starter when his suspension is over.

He will be released and if nobody claims him he'll be signed to our practice squad and Phillip Walker will be released.

Other teams don't know the measures (nor do we) of what has been done behind the scenes to assist Jalen and Chad with their off the field issues and quite frankly that will turn away most GM's....

On top of that, look around the league on cut down day at how many young QB's who had productive preseasons got cut. Most of them ended up on the PS of the team that cut them.

I think we'll be safe in stashing him on the PS all year and let him continue to grow and learn. Just my own humble opinion.

Hasn't Walker already been released?

I'm not in love with our O-line depth.

https://www.colts.com/team/depth-chart

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I’d like to think your correct. Sound reasonable response. 

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

He went to the PS for us. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I meant Chad Kelly will be signed to the PS and Phillip Walker will be released from the PS.

No team is satisfied with their OLine depth, thats why you typically must grow your own!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Hentges and Pascal would be the first two to go IMO

I do not see Hentges a cut at all. Unless he really flubs a few games, I think he’s here for good. That’s a very solid football player we lucked into imho. 

• Like 4

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

I meant Chad Kelly will be signed to the PS and Phillip Walker will be released from the PS.

I doubt CK would clear waivers, so don't expect to see him on the practice squad.

• Like 8

As far as the roster jenga goes when injuries hit, the most likely guys that will ride the train to and from the taxi squad will likely be (not in any particular order):

Williams

Hentges

Lewis

Pascal

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I doubt CK would clear waivers, so don't expect to see him on the practice squad.

Nobody was touching him with a 100 foot pole before we signed him in May. Three and a half months of good behavior and a solid preseason later, I doubt anyone would still touch him with that 100 foot pole. Again, my opinion of course as you have yours. :)  In two weeks we will know for certain.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree. My guess is one of the RBs go when Kelly is off suspension. 

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

Nobody was touching him with a 100 foot pole before we signed him in May. Three and a half months of good behavior and a solid preseason later, I doubt anyone would still touch him with that 100 foot pole. Again, my opinion of course as you have yours. :)  In two weeks we will know for certain.

I'll put it this way, if the Colts thought he'd make it thru the waivers, they'd already cut him.

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Nobody was touching him with a 100 foot pole before we signed him in May.

we signed him, we dont know that no one else would have

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'll put it this way, if the Colts thought he'd make it thru the waivers, they'd already cut him.

Respectfully I disagree.  In order for someone to get Chad Kelly during the season they have to put him on active roster for 2 games.  This is a very good strategy by Ballard as it makes it more difficult for other teams and better for us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shepman said:

Respectfully I disagree.  In order for someone to get Chad Kelly during the season they have to put him on active roster for 2 games.  This is a very good strategy by Ballard as it makes it more difficult for other teams and better for us.

The risk would be too great to take. I think Chad is on the 53 all year (at least).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

When you're not the first, the risk is lessened. CK rewarded the Colts with model behavior, and then he backed it up with a strong preseason. He's done everything right this summer, and he's contractually controlled for at least two more years. This is the kind of guy that doesn't get through waivers.

And you're right, we could argue back and forth about it but no one can see the future. I'm just saying that's a significant risk, one I wouldn't take. If it were up to me -- and it's obviously not -- CK would stay on the active roster all season, unless I absolutely needed that roster spot at some point. 

But right now, we have six WRs, four TEs, and four RBs -- I think we're carrying at least one, maybe two extra at those positions. We have 11 DL, and six CBs. Both of those spots are probably overloaded.

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The one wrinkle is that his contract is prorated and he doesn't cost them a roster spot for the first two weeks. They're keeping him for free, in every way that matters. They were never going to get rid of him after the preseason. The real decision point is after Week 2.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Shepman said:

That's not accurate. To get him to the PS, they have to waive him. A team can claim him, and there's no minimum number of games he has to be on the active roster. 

If he were already on the PS, a team signing him from the PS would have to keep him on the active roster for at least three weeks. But that's a situation where the Colts would have more options; they could call up a player from the practice squad rather than letting him leave for another team.

It's the waiver process that's more problematic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

He can't serve his suspension unless he's on an active roster. 

So they kept him on the active roster for the suspension to get it over with.

Your stance is that he'll stay on the 53 while mine is he'll got to the PS. The team will decide in two weeks. 

We shall see what happens.

• Like 1

So they kept him on the active roster for the suspension to get it over with.

Your stance is that he'll stay on the 53 while mine is he'll got to the PS. The team will decide in two weeks. 

We shall see what happens.

right, but what I'm saying is that if they wanted to make sure he cleared waivers to end up on the PS, they'd go ahead and cut him. Why? because any team that makes a waiver claim HAS to put that player on their active roster that very second. Because he can't be on an active roster due to the suspended status, therefore he couldn't be claimed off waivers. 

HOWEVER, once he's served his suspension and they cut him, he would instantly be able to be claimed, thus decreasing the odds of him clearing waivers and being able to be signed.

I'm gonna look that up, I don't know if it's true. 

Robert Mathis served his four game suspension 2014 despite being on IR. Ray Rice served his two game (or season long) suspension, despite being cut by the Ravens prior to Week 1. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Robert Mathis served his four game suspension 2014 despite being on IR. Ray Rice served his two game (or season long) suspension, despite being cut by the Ravens prior to Week 1. 

Wasn't Robert Turbin suspended for the first couple games when he was here also?  I don't believe they kept him on the active roster. 

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

right, but what I'm saying is that if they wanted to make sure he cleared waivers to end up on the PS, they'd go ahead and cut him. Why? because any team that makes a waiver claim HAS to put that player on their active roster that very second. Because he can't be on an active roster due to the suspended status, therefore he couldn't be claimed off waivers. 

HOWEVER, once he's served his suspension and they cut him, he would instantly be able to be claimed, thus decreasing the odds of him clearing waivers and being able to be signed.

The way I understand it is they could have put him on waivers at cutdown time and if claimed he goes on that teams suspended list.  He can't go on an active roster if he's suspended.  Then they make the same decision we have to make when it's over.  We cut Garcia who was facing a four game suspension.  We could have kept him on the suspended list as well but we decided he was not in our long term plans.  Different scenario with Kelly.  We see him as a potential active player or at least a player we would like to put on the practice squad.  We put him on the suspended list.  Two weeks into the season teams backup QB's are pretty much set along with their practice squads.  I think he would probably have a better chance of clearing waivers after week two under normal circumstances but since he had such a great camp and preseason I don't see it happening in his case.  It sounds like Ballard really likes him.  My guess he goes on the active roster.  We shall see.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The way I understand it is they could have put him on waivers at cutdown time and if claimed he goes on that teams suspended list.  He can't go on an active roster if he's suspended.  Then they make the same decision we have to make when it's over.  We cut Garcia who was facing a four game suspension.  We could have kept him on the suspended list as well but we decided he was not in our long term plans.  Different scenario with Kelly.  We see him as a potential active player or at least a player we would like to put on the practice squad.  We put him on the suspended list.  Two weeks into the season teams backup QB's are pretty much set along with their practice squads.  I think he would probably have a better chance of clearing waivers after week two under normal circumstances but since he had such a great camp and preseason I don't see it happening in his case.  It sounds like Ballard really likes him.  My guess he goes on the active roster.  We shall see.  

I think Kelly kind of reminds Ballard of Alex Smith a little bit.  Mixed in with whoever else. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

i think he has it backwards.... arent you actually suspended from being on an active roster?

27 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think Kelly kind of reminds Ballard of Alex Smith a little bit.  Mixed in with whoever else. 

In what way? I don't think he plays like Alex Smith.

43 minutes ago, Kyle said:

i think he has it backwards.... arent you actually suspended from being on an active roster?

yes. 

What he is thinking of is that you can't be a FA and serve your suspension, you have to be signed to a team and not on IR. 

I dont see Jo.Williams being cut unless replaced by another rb, carrying only 3 rbs is a recipe for disaster especially if 1 of those 3 (Wilkins) has been injured all preseason.  I think Zaire Franklin could be in trouble too with 5 other lbs all whom have some versatility combined with the fact we typically only play 2 lbs on the field. We also have Bangou and Geathers who could play lb in a pinch (Willis as well likely).

57 minutes ago, bhougland said:

In what way? I don't think he plays like Alex Smith.

Mostly the mobility.  His arm is stronger than Alex which is why I said a mix of Alex Smith and whoever else. 

12 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I dont see Jo.Williams being cut unless replaced by another rb, carrying only 3 rbs is a recipe for disaster especially if 1 of those 3 (Wilkins) has been injured all preseason.  I think Zaire Franklin could be in trouble too with 5 other lbs all whom have some versatility combined with the fact we typically only play 2 lbs on the field. We also have Bangou and Geathers who could play lb in a pinch (Willis as well likely).

Zaire is definitely one you would look at for a cut.  I believe the Colts like Franklin but he can easily be stashed on the PS if the need arose. 

7 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I’d agree that Franklin could be a casualty of need to keep Kelly. Kelly is however the luxury for the team so unless we deem Kelly to be better than the new backup we just spent millions on. I can’t recall the amount we paid in guaranteed money but the team could at some point have to make the choice that having Kelly on this roster is worth wasting all that cash for these two games we have as protection. Idk what CB does when he is forced with that decision but my guess is he has at least two cuts before he absolutely has to make the decision. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

giphy.gif

If games get out of hand either way i think Kelly would come in before Hoyer after week 3. Give him some seasoning and see what he can do vs NFL talent even in garbage time.