Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A perfect scenario for the Colts and for Jacoby

Legend of Luck

Brissett did fall into the perfect situation for himself.   It looked like he would sit behind Luck this season and hit the FA market.   Most likely getting signed by a team that isn't that great.  

Instead, he gets to lead an all around decent team.   One that he has been on for a couple years so he knows it.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Myles said:

Brissett did fall into the perfect situation for himself.   It looked like he would sit behind Luck this season and hit the FA market.   Most likely getting signed by a team that isn't that great.  

Instead, he gets to lead an all around decent team.   One that he has been on for a couple years so he knows it.  

So true...he seems to have had a horseshoe tattooed on him before he even donned the Colt jersey. He was drafted to be 3rd on the depth chart to a team with an ageless QB (or at the best...backup to a young franchise QB)...and then traded to another team with a franchise QB entering his prime. Not to mention both teams are legit teams.

And yet...assuming he stays healthy...he will have started more than half of the games he has been active for...AND get paid. The myriad of variables that have aligned for him is a great story.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

So true...he seems to have had a horseshoe tattooed on him before he even donned the Colt jersey. He was drafted to be 3rd on the depth chart to a team with an ageless QB (or at the best...backup to a young franchise QB)...and then traded to another team with a franchise QB entering his prime. Not to mention both teams are legit teams.

And yet...assuming he stays healthy...he will have started more than half of the games he has been active for...AND get paid. The myriad of variables that have aligned for him is a great story.

We should give him some of the credit too.    He made a little of his own luck by impressing coached and being a great team player.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend of Luck said:

Yet we had 4th Quarter leads in 9 games. With a much much much worse roster.

In 2017, there were only two other teams that led going into the second half as many times as the Colts: the Patriots and the Eagles. Both teams went to the SB.

Don't know whether that's impressive or depressing...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

In 2017, there were only two other teams that led going into the second half as many times as the Colts: the Patriots and the Eagles. Both teams went to the SB.

Don't know whether that's impressive or depressing...

I'd lean towards impressive for the players and depressing on the coaching side. We all questioned more play calls that year in the second halves then I care to remember. 

It's  a really bad feeling when we as fans truly feel sorry for pro football players because of play calling in a game JUST MY OPINION 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

5. My biggest point of emphasis...Ballard and Reich did the best they could with the Luck situation. Things moved quickly, they tried to handle it internally, they hoped Andrew would reconsider, but he didn't. Ballard is always as direct and honest with us as he can be. He obviously should never come out and say "Andrew is considering retirement" and putting everyone into a panic... he needed to let that process play out before he involved us. I trust him completely...and if anything, I feel absolutely terrible that this happened to him. But I know he will navigate us through it and we will win.

This paragraph is worth rereading. You are clarifying what others have had a hard time understanding. This was for Andrew, for Frank, Chris, and Jim...a situation that could not have been handled in a way to sooth those fans who have not so eloquently tore at these folks without empathy. Any effort that would have made some fans much more at ease with how it was handled, would have made an equal amount of fans incensed. 

There was no win here...for anyone. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

This is my first time being on the forum since Andrew retired. It took me a long time to accept it and get past it, as I was basically heartbroken for a multitude of reasons. All the respect in the world to him, I'll miss him, and I wish him happiness and health in life above all.

But, looking ahead to 2019, Jacoby's extension, etc... This may be kinda long because I haven't said much in a while.

Before I get to my main topic of discussion, I'd like to reiterate some points that have been made by others here that I agree with.

1. The length and price of Jacoby's extension is perfect. Team takes care of him, but protects themselves and has a chance for that deal to be a major bargain. 

2. This team is loaded and cannot and will not tank for a QB.

3. The fact that they extended Jacoby now vs after the season shows their belief in him isn't hyperbole, it wasn't just smoke to try to drum up a trade. It's real.

4. If Ballard and Reich believe in Jacoby, they have earned our trust up to this point, and therefore we need to trust their evaluation of him and put our faith in him as well. 

5. My biggest point of emphasis...Ballard and Reich did the best they could with the Luck situation. Things moved quickly, they tried to handle it internally, they hoped Andrew would reconsider, but he didn't. Ballard is always as direct and honest with us as he can be. He obviously should never come out and say "Andrew is considering retirement" and putting everyone into a panic... he needed to let that process play out before he involved us. I trust him completely...and if anything, I feel absolutely terrible that this happened to him. But I know he will navigate us through it and we will win.

But, onto my actual topic...

While I do believe Jacoby is a very good QB, I think his extension actually tells us what they're thinking internally. 

"We trust you, but we don't know for sure what your ceiling is, so go out and prove it and then you'll be compensated."

But what makes me excited about this is that, yes, this is an evaluation year for Jacoby, and the team could not be set up more perfectly to see how good he can actually be.

The roster is loaded. Top 5 O-line, tons of weapons on offense, an offensive head coach with a high end scheme and playcalling, a top 12 defense with all the starters returning, along with big additions like Houston and Rock.

There are zero excuses for Jacoby.

In 2017 there were A LOT. Just traded to the team, new playbook, new teammates, new scheme, new terminology, terrible o-line, no weapons outside of TY and Doyle, beyond awful coaching and playcalling... I mean... literally everything that could go wrong did go wrong for Jacoby in that season.

Yet we had 4th Quarter leads in 9 games. With a much much much worse roster.

This year, he's had virtually every single starting rep all offseason, 2nd year in the system, and the team is better at every level.

Regardless of how this season plays out (which I think we will be successful and still make the playoffs), we will have a definitive, black and white answer about our future at the QB position. 

Very good post.... as good an assessment of the situation as any since Andrew pulled up anchor. :hat:

• Like 2

Yes very good post. I will add that I like Jim Irsay and I think he is a good owner too a fault and that fault was keeping ( last GM !!!! ) for that matter hiring him ! ) Truth is that GM killed Andrews spirit! Love of playing the game etc............! !! Not fixing the O Line !!! Andrew was special !!! Could been skies the limit !!! If he only had Reich/Ballard too begin with ! Back by is getting what Andrew didn't top O line D line n Team. So as u stated jacoby their is no excuses !!! Get it done !!

• Like 1

Just now, coltsfan40 said:

Yes very good post. I will add that I like Jim Irsay and I think he is a good owner too a fault and that fault was keeping ( last GM !!!! ) for that matter hiring him ! ) Truth is that GM killed Andrews spirit! Love of playing the game etc............! !! Not fixing the O Line !!! Andrew was special !!! Could been skies the limit !!! If he only had Reich/Ballard too begin with ! Jacoby is getting what Andrew didn't top O line D line n Team. So as u stated jacoby their is no excuses !!! Get it done !!

12 hours ago, Myles said:

We should give him some of the credit too.    He made a little of his own luck by impressing coached and being a great team player.   

Oh agreed. He has definitely been right place at the right time...but made the most of it. The path is just pretty crazy. 

Sorta like Foles story...which will be a 30 for 30 some day. Would be amazing if JB somehow led this team to a Super Bowl as well.

"What if I told you...that all you needed to win a Super Bowl was a backup QB"...and then the entire documentary would be centered around Reich and his time with Foles and JB. 

That's actually...pretty good...I should start writing it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Oh agreed. He has definitely been right place at the right time...but made the most of it. The path is just pretty crazy. 

Sorta like Foles story...which will be a 30 for 30 some day. Would be amazing if JB somehow led this team to a Super Bowl as well.

"What if I told you...that all you needed to win a Super Bowl was a backup QB"...and then the entire documentary would be centered around Reich and his time with Foles and JB. 

I believe you already did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Good stuff.   A career back up QB taking 2 back up QB's to the Super Bowl.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1