Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett Extended (Merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Really don't understand the CK hate?

Why it is necessary?

I don't think the Colts would of kept him on roster(suspended list), just to cut him when his 2 game ban is over.

Neither QB deal today means anything about CK's future.

Hoyer is essentially a 1yr $7m deal. Can be cut after this year for $2m dead cap(maybe none, because I think $2m in 2020 is only guaranteed for injury), if we so choose. He had multiple suitors, so we had to make it worth his while.

JB's deal again is essentially a 1yr deal as well if we want it to be(meaning he didn't perform), because the $5m cap hit to get out of contract is small as well. 

Bottom line, the Colts FO are very good. All options are open, not locked into any 1 person.

JB gets the run this year, I imagine will start every game unless there is an injury.

If there is an injury, the team really has no choice but to see what they have in CK. 

Hoyer is here to backup and mentor.

He will backup JB and CK(if JB gets hurt)

To think CK isn't going to be retained is asinine as this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just because they didn’t cut CK doesn’t mean they will keep him.  They could just be letting him serve his suspension to get it out of the way.  I do think though he will probably stay on the 53 when he comes back.

Yeah. nobody really knows where they stand with Kelly?

It is interesting how the roster looks now. Only 8OL. yet 10DL. 6WR and 4TE

I have to wonder, if team injuries may determine, in part, what happens to Kelly?

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Really don't understand the CK hate?

Why it is necessary?

I don't hate the kid. I just hate the idea that he should be our backup. It's absurd. He should spend time on a practice squad and prove he can avoid legal trouble and further suspension before a team relies on him like this team has relied on backups in the past... I also don't make judgments on players from preseason play against scrubs, so I have a hard time thinking he's a stud yet. He has some serious potential. 

But... And here is where my "hate" is more just trolling others... 

The ones truly hating here are those saying JB is mediocre at best and Kelly is better. Ha, do what? No one important thinks this way, obviously, as the GM of the year just extended JB AND signed a vet qb as backup. It's just ludicrous the mentality on this forum...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Yeah. nobody really knows where they stand with Kelly?

It is interesting how the roster looks now. Only 8OL. yet 10DL. 6WR and 4TE

I have to wonder, if team injuries may determine, in part, what happens to Kelly?

Injuries will play a part. Especially if there are guys that might just be out a game or two. Major injuries that will be IR wouldn’t make a difference. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't hate the kid. I just hate the idea that he should be our backup. It's absurd. He should spend time on a practice squad and prove he can avoid legal trouble and further suspension before a team relies on him like this team has relied on backups in the past... I also don't make judgments on players from preseason play against scrubs, so I have a hard time thinking he's a stud yet. He has some serious potential. 

But... And here is where my "hate" is more just trolling others... 

The ones truly hating here are those saying JB is mediocre at best and Kelly is better. Ha, do what? No one important thinks this way, obviously, as the GM of the year just extended JB AND signed a vet qb as backup. It's just ludicrous the mentality on this forum...

JB really hasnt done much either.   a few months ago everyone was saying hes not good enough to get much in a trade.

now hes the savior though...

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just because they didn’t cut CK doesn’t mean they will keep him.  They could just be letting him serve his suspension to get it out of the way.  I do think though he will probably stay on the 53 when he comes back.

I bet or rather would be surprised if he doesn't stay and get a shot at backup next preseason.

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If their intent was to not keep him he would have been one of the final cuts to 53.

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

JB really hasnt done much either.   a few months ago everyone was saying hes not good enough to get much in a trade.

now hes the savior though...

Hell, based on what Houston is dishing out in trades, we could have packaged JB with another good player and pulled in a couple 1sts... 

He's not a savior. He's a capable qb that has been here and running the #1 offense all offseason. He's a HIGH character guy, and a true locker room favorite. He's the only choice and the only chance this team has to keep their crap together this season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well Ballard will look stupid with the contract he just gave JB if he is wrong.

Ballard won't look stupid to anyone for sometime... That's just... well, stupid. 

2 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

If their intent was to not keep him he would have been one of the final cuts to 53.

Why would they cut someone who is suspended and not counting toward the active roster?? What if JB gets hurt week 1 or 2, and we cut Kelly for no reason? THAT would be stupid. 

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This is insane..

You realize this right??

Not really.

If JB got hurt, you would rather play Hoyer? We know 100% he isnt the future. At that point you have to see what CK has.

Pretty straight forward.

All wrapped up in signing a vet.

1. We had to sign someone regardless

2. If we didn't like what we saw in CK, don't you think a younger option would be brought in, instead. Give us a 2nd option for possible future QB.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Not really.

If JB got hurt, you would rather play Hoyer? We know 100% he isnt the future. At that point you have to see what CK has.

Pretty straight forward.

2. If we didn't like what we saw in CK, don't you think a younger option would be brought in, instead. Give us a 2nd option for possible future QB.

The only thing that matters for me is that CB, FR, NS, and MB felt different

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Not really.

Pretty straight forward.

If the front office and coaching staff feels that way... because they know a lot more than we do when it comes to CK. 

I'm just guessing they don't feel he is the future of this team. They just like his talent and potential as a backup. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If the front office and coaching staff feels that way... because they know a lot more than we do when it comes to CK. 

I'm just guessing they don't feel he is the future of this team. They just like his talent and potential as a backup. 

No one knows if he is the future of the team, but like you mentioned have to love his potential. 

I just think a young guy would make more sense, if they didn't plan to keep CK. 

They probably should pickup Kevin Hogan to the practice squad, tbh. To give another guy.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

This is Brissett’s team and Hoyer was the right guy to back him up and provide mentoring to CK

I agree with all of that. Why did you quote my post to say that?

Hoyer is Brissett backup, unless he gets hurt. Then I think Hoyer would be CK backup still in a mentor role

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

No one knows if he is the future of the team, but like you mentioned have to love his potential. 

I just think a young guy would make more sense, if they didn't plan to keep CK. 

They probably should pickup Kevin Hogan to the practice squad, tbh. To give another guy.

If JB isn't the guy, they will be drafting one next year early... 

• Like 1

I'm pleasantly surprised.  I honestly think Brissett just gave the team a fair sized hometown discount.  I know that if he wanted to he could have held out for maybe as much as another 10M

Clearly he's got more on his mind than making money and decided to strike a very fair price with the team in order to remove a potential distraction.

Liking this man more and more.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm pleasantly surprised.  I honestly think Brissett just gave the team a fair sized hometown discount.  I know that if he wanted to he could have held out for maybe as much as another 10M

Clearly he's got more on his mind than making money and decided to strike a very fair price with the team in order to remove a potential distraction.

Liking this man more and more.

I don’t know if things have changed but Brissett doesn’t even have a agent. Just someone that advises him.  He knows that if he would of waited he could of lost millions. I think he understands he isn’t worth franchise money quite yet.  Now he has generational wealth. If he proves to be the guy after this season I bet they will give him franchise money next off season. This is a good deal for both sides. He will only be 28 after this deal is up so he will have the opportunity to get that franchise QB money if he balls out. Seeing what some of these other starting QB are making is crazy.

Just now, w87r said:

Most likely, but don't you think they would want to see what they have in CK before making that decision?

No.  At the moment the burden of proof is on Kelly.  He needs to make it worth our while by showing up well in practice and being a model citizen.

I know the talent is exciting but right now Kelly is not a prospect and will not be treated like a prospect.  Kelly is a project and will be treated accordingly.  It's up to him to do well with the chances he gets, including in practice and in the clubhouse. 

Chad Kelly is with the team because the team thinks he's got a chance to succeed but nothing's written in stone yet. 

And one thing is absolutely 100% true, the Colts absolutely  do not believe that Chad Kelly is their next great quarterback right now.  At most, they believe it's possible that with hard work he could enter that conversation later on.  If they were 100% sold on Kelly they'd never have signed Hoyer, especially not to a multiyear deal.  They're hedging their bets HARD on the kid, and that's not exactly evidence of extreme faith.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

If they were 100% sold on Kelly they'd never have signed Hoyer, especially not to a multiyear deal

1. No one is 100% sold on Kelly. Young guy that may have potential. If Brissett gets hurt they will givd him a shot to see.

2. If you didn't think CK had a potential future with the team, it would make more sense to get a younger guy. Getting vet makes it more likely we like CK.

3. Hoyer's deal is essentially a 1yr $7m deal. Reading to muxh into this 3yr thing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know if things have changed but Brissett doesn’t even have a agent. Just someone that advises him.  He knows that if he would of waited he could of lost millions. I think he understands he isn’t worth franchise money quite yet.  Now he has generational wealth. If he proves to be the guy after this season I bet they will give him franchise money next off season. This is a good deal for both sides. He will only be 28 after this deal is up so he will have the opportunity to get that franchise QB money if he balls out. Seeing what some of these other starting QB are making is crazy.

I disagree.  If he balls out,  I beleive the Colts make him play out his 2nd year.  If he balls out this year and next year then they can franchise him the 3rd year and work out long term contract.  Thats why they did the deal.  They can franchise him the 3rd year.  Gives them 2 good years to c what they got 

2 hours ago, ricker182 said:

True. But I do think that team was way better than this team.  

I think we're ok, but not nearly as good as that one.

Ravens  had amazing coaching  staff who nearly all went on to be head coaches. Brandon stokely  and priest homes was also on that team