Indianapolis Colts
Chloe6124

Brissett Extended (Merge)

Just now, TheMiz said:

This makes no sense what so ever.

It makes total sense. 

Sin him up now for for at least 3 or 4 years. If he balls out this year, we have him on a great deal for another 3 years. If he is mediocre, we still have him under contract as a good back and let Hoyer go, then look for the new answer. If we extend him now it won’t be bank breaking. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chucklez said:

It makes total sense. 

Sin him up now for for at least 3 or 4 years. If he balls out this year, we have him on a great deal for another 3 years. If he is mediocre, we still have him under contract as a good back and let Hoyer go, then look for the new answer. If we extend him now it won’t be bank breaking. 

Yep, plus if he balls out this year he's going to be really expensive in the off-season.

• Like 1

This is not surprising to me at all. I expect it’s going to be more money then what people think.  Reich believes he can be the guy. I trust them. This team is two close to start over.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is not surprising to me at all. I expect it’s going to be more money then what people think.  Reich believes he can be the guy. I trust them. This team is two close to start over.

He should send his agent Peter King a bonus!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

This makes no sense what so ever.

you can't give Hoyer more money then Brissett. Also what options do we have? We're not bad enough to be in the market for Tua, Fromm, or Hebert. Their going one, two, and three

• Like 2

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Dang. Wonder how many years.

Just now, CR91 said:

Not bad. Doesn’t lock him in long term but he is now a rich man.

Brissett is an average mediocre QB...he is not that good. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it, but I don't expect much from Jacoby this season, Colts are starting to look like the Cleveland Browns from about 3 or 4 years ago!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Indy_Mike said:

Brissett is an average mediocre QB...he is not that good. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it, but I don't expect much from Jacoby this season, Colts are starting to look like the Cleveland Browns from about 3 or 4 years ago!

way off. go back and look at the terrible roster from 2017 and compare it to now. We don't need Brissett to be Luck for us to win

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Dang. Wonder how many years.

Not bad. Doesn’t lock him in long term but he is now a rich man.

Good for both sides.  

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It's nice to see they're "putting their money where their mouth is".  I was wondering how much of their expressed confidence was "coach speak" or damage control in the wake of Lucks announcement, but if they're willing to extend him before the first snap of the regular season it indicates their faith in him is genuine.  This is good news.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

Honestly, I think you have to wait until he plays a few games this year to say that.  This is a better team and better coaching staff.  If he whiffs this year I think you would be shown as right.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Indy_Mike said:

Can you explain why you think this way? What part of Jacoby's game does it seem like he is an average Quarterback?

You might be right, but me personally, I see the perfect frame, a strong arm, good mobility and incredible toughness in him. The questions for me are with his touch on short throws and accuracy on intermidiate ones. If he can answer those two questions, I think we'll be fine at QB.

Also, the Browns of 4 years ago would have LOVED an average QB haha 

• Like 4

This is great for both parties. Hecwill obly be 28 at the end of this so if he balls out he will get another bigger deal. If not we aren’t locked in. It also isn’t so much where if it doesn’t work he can’t go back to backup status.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

you can't give Hoyer more money then Brissett. Also what options do we have? We're not bad enough to be in the market for Tua, Fromm, or Hebert. Their going one, two, and three

I just fear we are preparing ourselves for sustained mediocrity. 

Why not see what we got before locking ourselves in.

And guess it doesn't matter, since it's just been announced as done

• Like 4

Just now, TheMiz said:

We are only locked in for two years. That doesn’t mean you can’t drsft a QB to sit behind him a year if things don’t work out.

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

One contract extension CB will not have to worry about during the off season

He is going to be very busy this offseason handing out those deals. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

because if you risk Brissett having a good year, then instead of the deal he got now, we're talking a contract in the 25+ range a year

Just now, TheMiz said:

Did you miss the Colts from 1984 until 1999

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

We are only locked in for two years. That doesn’t mean you can’t drsft a QB to sit behind him a year if things don’t work out.

I typed that, before seeing that it was a two year extension. Looks easy enough to get out of, and is not long term. I'm cool with it.

Solid deal. 

Great for both sides.

Was hoping that $15m was going to be the top number

4 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

I typed that, before seeing that it was a two year extension. Looks easy enough to get out of, and is not long term. I'm cool with it.

Im sure it is a new deal. Not 2 year extension. Meaning it is in effect for 2019 and 2020. Be a FA in 2021?

Maybe though. Cant imagine their paying him $1m this season still.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Did you miss the Colts from 1984 until 1999

I became a fan around 95, like most people in Indiana...

Which happens to be about the time I really started paying attention to football, since I was 12

2 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

It’s also small enough where he could go back to being the backup of it doesn’t work out. I am glad this got done before the season started.

Just now, TheMiz said:

I became a fan around 95, like most people in Indiana...

Which happens to be about the time I really started paying attention to football, since I was 12

Wrong

There a lot of Fans around before 1995

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Im sure it is a new deal. Not 2 year extension. Meaning it is in effect for 2019 and 2020. Be a FA in 2021?

Maybe though. Cant imagine their paying him $2m this season still.

Possible it is actually three years if you count this year. He is getting 20m Guaranteed so I could see his base salary staying at 2m.

3 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Can you explain why you think this way? What part of Jacoby's game does it seem like he is an average Quarterback?

You might be right, but me personally, I see the perfect frame, a strong arm, good mobility and incredible toughness in him. The questions for me are with his touch on short throws and accuracy on intermidiate ones. If he can answer those two questions, I think we'll be fine at QB.

Also, the Browns of 4 years ago would have LOVED an average QB haha 

I base it solely on what I have seen from him since he has come here...I'm not saying he is terrible, he's average, he misses a lot of easy targets, he lacks confidence and pocket awareness at times. I can pull up the stats but basically I just don't see him leading this team to the playoffs! I was not impressed with his preseason performances at all. 

Colts are giving him a great opportunity and showing an incredible amount of confidence in him, I just don't see it. I don't see that kind of potential! Combined with the Hoyer signing and it just seems like the Browns of a few years ago....I really hope I'm wrong, but I am deeply disappointed in what I am seeing right now. I see the Donnie Walsh Pacers, competitive but not able to take the next step and compete for championship for the next decade!

• Like 2

Considering Dak wants $35M/year, I think this is good deal.  Brissett hasn't been to the playoffs like Dak, but paying your starting QB $15M/year is a bargain with the going rate of QBs in today's NFL. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Possible it is actually three years if you count this year. He is getting 20m Guaranteed so I could see his base salary staying at 2m.

Maybe?

Have to wait for final details. If so that's a solid deal for us.

3yr $32m deal. 

Doubt that is the case, but possible.