Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Hoyer signs

1959Colts

14 minutes ago, Rebel said:

It was a fair analogy:

Mediocre people with a lot of experience are still mediocre. 

What is this Holy Grail of NFL experience at all costs - even if the player's NFL experience was unremarkable?

I will give you a football analogy instead. In 2000, I was in a bar with many others having this same discussion. Ole Miss was getting pummeled by West Virginia in their bowl game. Ole Miss' senior QB wasn't getting the job done. The Ole Miss offense was a mess. The senior QB was very much loved by the fans, but several of us had seen enough.

At the half, some of us at the bar wanted to see the freshman QB get a chance. Others at the bar said, "No! You don't take out a senior QB with experience to put a freshman that hasn't played all year into a bowl game!"

The game was just a complete train wreck disaster the 3rd quarter, and Coach Cutcliffe finally put in the freshman QB with no experience to start the 4th. The Ole Miss freshman threw three touchdowns that quarter. 

That freshman now has two Superbowl rings.

Sometimes talent and raw ability is a better performer than mediocrity with more experience.

Yeah,   Eli has had a pretty good career.    I'm guessing you understand if a team is taking a beating and is way behind defenses back off and don't let anything over the top.   Ole miss was down 49 to 16 going into the 4th quarter.    Also, Eli was the obvious future.   There are a million stories like that in college football.    If Chad Kelly had the talent of Eli,  he wouldn't have been drafted in the 7th round even with his injuries and inability to not get arrested

2 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

OK....that was pretty funny! 

But obviously the Colts know what the fans saw, and exciting player that has a great deal of talent. They also know that if Jacoby gets off to a slow start many fans will begin the KELLY chants....that's one reason to sign Hoyer, a buffer between JB and Kelly, nobody is going to be screaming for Hoyer to come into the game! It looks like the Colts want to give Brissett the entire season to prove what he can do without being caught up in a QB controversy, but just in case I believe they hold onto Kelly, because they saw what I saw, what everyone saw, he has more talent than the other QBs on this team!

I honestly hope that Kelly balls out, straightens out his life, and becomes a starter in the NFL. Whether or not that aligns with the Colts needs and time line, we'll have to see. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TheMiz said:

To me this says they have no faith in JB being the guy going forward. They secured a solid guy that can bridge the gap for a new qb to get up to speed, and be a veteran presence moving forward. 

Your theories are MIZerable.

You have been wrong thru this whole thread.

We have Jacoby locked up at a reasonable price that is easy to get out of.. We have the best (arguably) vet available for about the same time on a contract that is easy to get out of.

We can use this year to see if JB is the answer.  

We can still davelop CK, draft the heir apparent, etc.

Under the curcumstances, Ballard did about as well as we could hope (at this time) I think.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

No. Ever caught yourself wondering why NFL teams hire experienced people, rather than take fans advice?

If the Colts want Hoyer as a mentor, then why pay him $4 million a year to ride the bench as a consultant? Why not make Hoyer the quarterbacks coach for $4 million and free up a roster spot for a potential future star that's not a 34 year old career backup?

Honest question.  I am curious as to the logic that went into this hire.

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

Your theories are MIZerable.

You have been wrong thru this whole thread.

We have Jacoby locked up at a reasonable price that is easy to get out of.. We have the best (arguably) vet available for about the same time on a contract that is easy to get out of.

We can use this year to see if JB is the answer.  

We can still davelop CK, draft the heir apparent, etc.

Under the curcumstances, Ballard did about as well as we could hope (at this time) I think.

Lol the post you quoted was before JB got his new contract. And still his contract is easy to move on from if he sucks this year. It's a nice gesture of the Colts, but they are not locked in to him.

Also, reading what you said, you agree with what I'm saying, so how are my views miserable?

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

If the Colts want Hoyer as a mentor, then why pay him $4 million a year to ride the bench as a consultant? Why not make Hoyer the quarterbacks coach for $4 million and free up a roster spot for a potential future star that's not a 34 year old career backup?

He wants to play not to mention there is some guy called Marcus Brady on staff

A consultant can't play the 1st two weeks :-)..

IMO, Hoyer is a cheap answer at backup. With our cap space, we could easily cut him with little to know impact to our financial situation if we wanted too. With JB's raise and 1 year extension, it's not like we've made long term high dollar commitments on either. 

In short, both deals give us tremendous flexibility over the next 2 years without much impact to the cap.

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

Lol the post you quoted was before JB got his new contract. And still his contract is easy to move on from if he sucks this year. It's a nice gesture of the Colts, but they are not locked in to him.

Also, reading what you said, you agree with what I'm saying, so how are my views miserable?

They "locked" Jacoby to more than this year.  A "bridge" to a bigger contract if he plays well.

Oh, and you were great on Big Brother.

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

They "locked" Jacoby to more than this year.  A "bridge" to a bigger contract if he plays well.

Oh, and you were great on Big Brother.

Yes, both those are possible, while still having the ability to drop him after this season...and I really don't get the Big Brother thing

8 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Why not make Hoyer the quarterbacks coach for $4 million and free up a roster spot for a potential future star that's not a 34 year old career backup?

"Potential future star" label can be used on a great deal of players. 

Experience under fire at the NFL level is not a requirement for the QB coach position. Nor is knowing how to teach other QB's a requirement for an NFL QB. 

1 minute ago, Indy_Mike said:

In lieu of this signing....when do we know for sure about the fate of Chad Kelly? Will we know before his suspension is over? Will we know before the first game? Asking for a friend!:thinking: 

Well... This decision will ultimately answer one question:  Did the Colts let Kelly play preseason merely as a favor to Jim Kelly?

If the team doesn't take Kelly as 3rd QB on the roster, then the answer is seemingly yes. It was just a favor. Kelly surely hasn't done amything to lose the spot if it was a legitimate opportunity to compete for a spot on the roster.

8 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

In lieu of this signing....when do we know for sure about the fate of Chad Kelly? Will we know before his suspension is over? Will we know before the first game? Asking for a friend!:thinking: 

he will have to either be on the roster after his two game suspension or get cut then.

nothing will likely happen either way until then, he doesnt count against the roster limit

Well... This decision will ultimately answer one question:  Did the Colts let Kelly play preseason merely as a favor to Jim Kelly?

If the team doesn't take Kelly as 3rd QB on the roster, then the answer is seemingly yes. It was just a favor. Kelly surely hasn't done amything to lose the spot if it was a legitimate opportunity to compete for a spot on the roster.

And 99.99 % of us here will still be here as Colts fans

• Like 2

1973, Unitas shipped to San Diego. Colts QB is Marty Domes, with strong-armed Bert Jones biting the reins, on the bench, waiting his turn.

2019, Luck suddenly retires. Jacoby  Brissett is Colts QB, with strong-armed Chad Kelly, waiting to prove himself.

Nothing new here.  In 15 years or so, hopefully, we draft the Second Coming of Peyton.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

What's that got to do with Kelly sitting behind Hoyer and Brissett?  We aren't insinuating he's learning from Brett Favre are we?

No, but the veteran doesn't have to be a superstar to be worth giving the rookie some time to marinate in his experience before turning him loose.

Hoyer is like a good soup bone, he's not going to stand out on his own but his essence is going to contribute to the mix in a dozen little ways.

• Like 2

To me the number one problem with Jacoby in 2017 was he held onto the ball to long. Many on here have said repeatedly that was all on the coaching staff. I don't know. New offense, new coaches, new players. Let's see what Jacoby can do. He looked ok against Bills and Browns(that td pass to Ebron was just about as well a throw as could be made,great read also). Make plays like that and he'll be fine. 

53 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

that guy said they were a kelly fan, not a colts fan 

I also said I was happy to have a pro team to root for since I have always followed college ball.

In my mind, this is how things would theoretically work out... I would start watching the Colts and keep reading these forums as I did all preseason. I would eventually learn some of the other players and find ones that I like and root for them too. Before long, I would be a fan all in.

What would be a way for one to become a "real" Colts fan? Do I have to move to Indiana? Can I buy a Brian Hoyer action figure or something? What if I wear one of those Colts hats with a pouch on each side to hold two beers and a straw running to my mouth?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I also said I was happy to have a pro team to root for since I have always followed college ball.

In my mind, this is how things would theoretically work out... I would start watching the Colts and keep reading these forums as I did all preseason. I would eventually learn some of the other players and find ones that I like and root for them too. Before long, I would be a fan all in.

What would be a way for one to become a "real" Colts fan? Do I have to move to Indiana? Can I buy a Brian Hoyer action figure or something? What if I wear one of those Colts hats with a pouch on each side to hold two beers and a straw running to my mouth?

Jordan Wilkins was an Ole Miss Rebel too, right?

13 hours ago, Shive said:

It was from his signing bonus, so money that was paid up front to him as a bonus for signing a new contract. It's not Irsay paying him the rest of his contract or anything like that.

Luck keeping the money isn't up to him anyhow. He can't just "give it back" to Irsay. Irsay would have to file the request to recoup a portion of the signing bonus with the league. If Irsay doesn't want to do that, there's no other recourse for Luck.

Also, what Luck "earned" is completely subjective. He didn't play out his contract and therefore isn't being paid the game checks he would have been paid over the rest of his contract (the non-guaranteed money). He did however endure a career fraught with playing through injuries that any one of would leave any of us incapacitated for a while, let alone showing up on Sunday, putting his injured body on the line week after week. Irsay wanted to let him keep that money as a way to say "sorry" and "thank you". Who are we to determine whether he earned the money or not?

This makes more sense, I thought he was just paid this portion, which I would expect him to refuse.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rebel said:

im not mad at you for following a particular player.  i hope chad makes it too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

There was a great article after the Super Bowl about how Hoyer tore apart the NE D as the Scout QB. He did an amazing job simulating the KC and Ram offenses.
 This was instrumental in getting the D prepared and he was given major credit for the NE SB run.
 Just what our D needs to get better. And if Chad Kelly is still here, it would be a terrific way to prepare him and to elevate his value.

• Like 5