Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Hoyer signs

1959Colts

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

My response wasn’t intended as a comment on Kelly’s talent level, kits challenging the blind assertion that a GM wouldn’t ever take on a QB with off the field flags. 

TBF as far as I know Big Ben was behaved in college, but he’s hardly been the most the stand up locker room guy since being in the league. 

With QB being such a big focus on leadership, I dont think you will see a lot of "bad boys."  Maybe a desperate team like TB but not even them all that often.  Character counts, especially at that position

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

With QB being such a big focus on leadership, I dont think you will see a lot of "bad boys."  Maybe a desperate team like TB but not even them all that often.  Character counts, especially at that position

Depends what you mean by a “bad boy”. 

You could argue, based on the above, that the Browns shouldn’t have touched Mayfield after he showed poor evasion from the boys in boy.

To be clear, I pretty much agree though. It’s just asinine to put forward an absolute stated as if it’s fact. 

31 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I dont think so either I mean if they were gonna cut him you'd think they would of just done it during cut downs and get it over with 

Didn't we just see Hoyer get beat out by a young backup QB in New England during the preseason?  Ballards no fool,  I'm sure he saw that too.  Everything is about production with him. In the back of his head I'm sure he knows Kelly is better than Hoyer.  However just like some have indicated here, you just can't hand Kelly the job like that.  Especially coming of a suspension in which he created for himself.  Damn what contract they gave Hoyer!  We all know when it's said and done if this kid does what they expect him to do then Ballard and Reich will get him his shot.  I aint the least bit concerned.  Kid is just going to have to be patient and do what he's got to do.  

• Like 3

Why are people ignoring the fact that Hoyer is a developmental asset for Kelly?

I don't know if that's necessarily exactly why he's here, but the same assets he provides for helping Brissett stabilize the job absolutely apply to teaching Kelly how to be a pro.  I think Hoyer has a lot to teach Kelly that Kelly would be wise to learn from.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bhougland said:

I understand this should probably go in another thread, but if I were Luck I would insist on giving the money back.  How do you just keep money that you didn't earn?  I understand it is awkward to ask for the money back (if you're Irsay), but isn't just as awkward not to insist on giving it back?

5 hours ago, bhougland said:

I guess, but if he knew he didn't want to play, then that would be super shady.  I guess I just thought he would do the right thing.

I think that gesture by Irsay was a "sorry we failed to put a functioning OL in front of you for most of your career and almost got you killed".

Procedurally, Irsay would have had to officially file a request to recoup the signing bonus. He opted not to, effectively allowing Luck to keep it. It's not like Luck keeping that money hurts our cap position moving forward or anything either. It was from the signing bonus, which is essentially Irsay just giving Luck money out of his pocket for services rendered.

This is legitimately a non-issue.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Didn't we just see Hoyer get beat out by a young backup QB in New England during the preseason?  Ballards no fool,  I'm sure he saw that too.  Everything is about production with him. In the back of his head I'm sure he knows Kelly is better than Hoyer.  However just like some have indicated here, you just can't hand Kelly the job like that.  Especially coming of a suspension in which he created for himself.  Damn what contract they gave Hoyer!  We all know when it's said and done if this kid does what they expect him to do then Ballard and Reich will get him his shot.  I aint the least bit concerned.  Kid is just going to have to be patient and do what he's got to do.

Remind me, how long did Aaron Rogers dwell behind Favre? How did that turn out?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

I think that gesture by Irsay was a "sorry we failed to put a functioning OL in front of you for most of your career and almost got you killed".

Procedurally, Irsay would have had to officially file a request to recoup the signing bonus. He opted not to, effectively allowing Luck to keep it. It's not like Luck keeping that money hurts our cap position moving forward or anything either. It was from the signing bonus, which is essentially Irsay just giving Luck money out of his pocket for services rendered.

This is legitimately a non-issue.

This is legitimately a non-issue

Not really a issue for the team or cap space, I guess I just expected luck to be a stand up guy and not to keep what he hasn't earned.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoachLite said:

Remind me, how long did Aaron Rogers dwell behind Favre? How did that turn out?

What's that got to do with Kelly sitting behind Hoyer and Brissett?  We aren't insinuating he's learning from Brett Favre are we?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I can easily see Brian Hoyer stepping in and winning a game against a Miami, or Tampa Bay or Oakland or even a division opponent if need be.

That's something I DON'T see Chad Kelly doing (yet). So I'm good with Hoyer as a backup. 

Well, I can see Chad stepping in and winning.  He beat Alabama twice in college, and seems to play great in big games.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

If the Colts cut Kelly he won't go thru waivers and people will laugh at them for the next 10 years!

I think you over rate his ability.    Lots of teams had a chance to pick him up.   They didn't.   If not for Frank being Jim Kelly's friend,  I doubt the colts would have

8 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

The reasons teams passed had much more to do with his problems off the field than his talent level. I think his problem off the field are behind him, I don't see him as a Manziel by any means. I don't think I am overrating him at all, the guy can flat out play, he is accurate and throws an easy ball to catch. He has more talent than any QB on this team...he's raw and needs experience, if he's cut someone will take a chance on him and he will likely make our decision look foolish for a very long time!

Why would they take a chance now.  But wouldn't when he was cut?  It hasn't even been a year since he was arrested the last time.  To think you know his problems off the field are behind him is ridiculous

Just now, Indy_Mike said:

The fact that he hasn't been cut tells me that the Colts agree with me....not you!

The fact he is suspended and doesn't count against the 53 until week three tells me we have no idea.     The fact they signed Hoyer to a 3 year deal tells me they aren't sold on Kelly

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

What's that got to do with Kelly sitting behind Hoyer and Brissett?  We aren't insinuating he's learning from Brett Favre are we?

Learning the craft. There's so much more to being a high-performance quarterback that just going out and winging it (ala Favre). Not only do you get to learn what to do and what works, but also what not to do and what doesn't work - on field and off.

6 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Learning the craft. There's so much more to being a high-performance quarterback that just going out and winging it (ala Favre). Not only do you get to learn what to do and what works, but also what not to do and what doesn't work - on field and off.

The Gunslinger attitude of a QB can be a major impediment to team success 

1 hour ago, bhougland said:

Not really a issue for the team or cap space, I guess I just expected luck to be a stand up guy and not to keep what he hasn't earned.  

It was from his signing bonus, so money that was paid up front to him as a bonus for signing a new contract. It's not Irsay paying him the rest of his contract or anything like that.

Luck keeping the money isn't up to him anyhow. He can't just "give it back" to Irsay. Irsay would have to file the request to recoup a portion of the signing bonus with the league. If Irsay doesn't want to do that, there's no other recourse for Luck.

Also, what Luck "earned" is completely subjective. He didn't play out his contract and therefore isn't being paid the game checks he would have been paid over the rest of his contract (the non-guaranteed money). He did however endure a career fraught with playing through injuries that any one of would leave any of us incapacitated for a while, let alone showing up on Sunday, putting his injured body on the line week after week. Irsay wanted to let him keep that money as a way to say "sorry" and "thank you". Who are we to determine whether he earned the money or not?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

TBF as far as I know Big Ben was behaved in college, but he’s hardly been the most the stand up locker room guy since being in the league. 

Big Ben walked the fine line, as long as Coach Terry Hoeppner was his coach.  I’m hoping Chad Kelly can do the same under Coach Frank Reich.

39 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Terrible analogy.     

It was a fair analogy:

Mediocre people with a lot of experience are still mediocre. 

What is this Holy Grail of NFL experience at all costs - even if the player's NFL experience was unremarkable?

I will give you a football analogy instead. In 2000, I was in a bar with many others having this same discussion. Ole Miss was getting pummeled by West Virginia in their bowl game. Ole Miss' senior QB wasn't getting the job done. The Ole Miss offense was a mess. The senior QB was very much loved by the fans, but several of us had seen enough.

At the half, some of us at the bar wanted to see the freshman QB get a chance. Others at the bar said, "No! You don't take out a senior QB with experience to put a freshman that hasn't played all year into a bowl game!"

The game was just a complete train wreck disaster the 3rd quarter, and Coach Cutcliffe finally put in the freshman QB with no experience to start the 4th. The Ole Miss freshman threw three touchdowns that quarter. 

That freshman now has two Superbowl rings.

Sometimes talent and raw ability is a better performer than mediocrity with more experience.

1 hour ago, Indy_Mike said:

The reasons teams passed had much more to do with his problems off the field than his talent level. I think his problem off the field are behind him, I don't see him as a Manziel by any means. I don't think I am overrating him at all, the guy can flat out play, he is accurate and throws an easy ball to catch. He has more talent than any QB on this team...he's raw and needs experience, if he's cut someone will take a chance on him and he will likely make our decision look foolish for a very long time!

To the bolded... (just friendly disagreeing with you)

More talented at hitting a receiver? Maybe. More talented at breaking containment and running? probably. But total talent at the QB position has far more aspects. There is also defensive reading, looking off, recognizing shifts, understanding the playbook, being a leader, setting great examples both on and off the field. 

As far as "the guy can flat out play"....actually he can't. He can't even be with the team for two games. 

4 minutes ago, Rebel said:

It was a fair analogy:

What is this Holy Grail of NFL experience at all costs - even if the player's NFL experience was unremarkable?

I will give you a football analogy instead. In 2000, I was in a bar with many others having this same discussion. Ole Miss was getting pummeled by West Virginia in their bowl game. Ole Miss' senior QB wasn't getting the job done. The Ole Miss offense was a mess. The senior QB was very much loved by the fans, but several of us had seen enough.

At the half, some of us at the bar wanted to see the freshman QB get a chance. Others at the bar said, "No! You don't take out a senior QB with experience to put a freshman that hasn't played all year into a bowl game!"

The game was just a complete train wreck disaster the 3rd quarter, and Coach Cutcliffe finally put in the freshman QB with no experience to start the 4th. The Ole Miss freshman threw three touchdowns that quarter. 

Sometimes talent and raw ability is a better performer than mediocrity with more experience.

Using NFL examples would further your position better. 

3 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Have you ever caught yourself wondering where NFL players come from? 

No. Ever caught yourself wondering why NFL teams hire experienced people, rather than take fans advice?

BTW, I was honestly suggesting using the NFL as an example, because I truly thought it would help your point. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rebel said:

It was a fair analogy:

That QB was also a Mississippi legacy and the famil6 had ties to Coach Cutcliffe