Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Hoyer signs

1959Colts

I thought he was >>>>

Stephen Holder‏Verified account @HolderStephen 50m50 minutes ago

Copy link to Tweet

Stephen Holder Retweeted   ○ Primus Interpares

One more time for those in the back TREVOR LAWRENCE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR NEXT YEAR'S DRAFT

Meh, he was best available, it is what it is. Won’t be super happy if he has to start, because it’ll mean Brissett failed. Hopefully he has something to share worth value with Brissett and Kelley if he’s retained. Question: If Brissett balls out or Kelley somehow gets the nod at backup, is he trade-able? Not sure if there’s a no trade clause or something?

• Like 1

Hoyer is probably the best back up option available as it goes. At least you know what you're getting with him (which ok maybe middle of the ground sort of QB). He's the only one we'll go into season knowing what we're getting, JB and Kelly still have questions to answer so to speak. We have plenty of cap space so makes sense to tie a veteran down for a few years because if it's not JB who needs mentoring next year it'll likely be a rookie. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think Kelly will ever be any more then a backup. No GM will be able to sleep at night with his past.  

Seeing as there are franchise QBs starting in the league with similar and in some cases far worse misdemeanours in their youth I’m going to say this is incorrect. 

Talent earns a lot of forgiveness. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Seeing as there are franchise QBs starting in the league with similar and in some cases far worse misdemeanours in their youth I’m going to say this is incorrect. 

Talent earns a lot of forgiveness. 

Name one.  The only guy I can think of is Roethlisberger, and I don't think Kelly has Big Ben level talent

Jameis Winston is on the hotseat.  I wouldn't use him as a great example of an undisciplined "success" story.

Like I said, other than Roethlisberger, the list of successful "bad boys" is pretty small.  And Big Ben only really showed his true colors after he'd been in the NFL awhile.

When you've got a position like QB that is the leader of the team, it's not that much of a stretch to require... well... leadership.  This is not rocket science.  And how can an undisciplined child lead men? 

At a certain point the ability to play your position is almost secondary.  I know Kelly can probably learn how to make throws and play the position, if he puts in hard work.  But the question of leadership remains and that's the one area that I just don't trust Kelly right now. 

Also if you're not getting leadership from the QB position you'd better be getting it somewhere else and I don't see that right now either.  Who's the leader of the defense right now?  We brought in Justin Houston because there is no clear answer to this question.  We've got hope for some of our young guys but they really haven't done it yet.

So from a leadership standpoint we're actually quite dependent on Brissett to find a way to keep everyone moving in the same direction the way Luck used to do.  That's certainly not something Kelly could do, right now, with any credibility whatsoever.  Hoyer just might though

I have a hard time accepting an argument that a long time veteran backup who's been around the block and has a lot of experience in the most successful system in football is a negative asset on a team with a leadership deficit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

This feels a lot like the Matt Hasslebeck signing a few years ago. Veteran QB towards the end of his career, Young up and comer in Indy. 

Does Kelly's skillset lend him to something like the kid in New Orleans? Hill? If so, I can see us running 3 qbs on roster.

no it really doesn't from what I've seen of Kelly he's a pocket passer.  Playing gadgets and special teams would be well outside his comfort zone

1 hour ago, krunk said:

As long as Kelly is here I'm not worried.  He will eventually rise to where we know the talent can take him as long as he maintains control over his behavior.

not gonna lie if we end up cutting him I'll be bummed his talent is by far better than any QB on the roster 

• Like 1

So the Colts now have two of the best backup QBs in the NFL. Given the circumstances...it is what it is. I am bit surprised that they are likely commiting to Hoyer beyond this season...but a lot can happen between now and next season. They might find themselves in position to draft a legit rookie QB and having Hoyer as a back up for a year would be nice...while letting JB pursue another opportunity.

I am a fan of keeping 3 QBs and having control over Kelly though. I don't know how he fits in all of this. But again, a lot can change. They could always trade him as well...if the perception is that his behavior issues are behind him.

They sign Hoyer for three years.  Say Jacoby plays well this season he goes into the market.  The  Colts match the offer or let's him walk.  If he walks, Kelly starts or they draft a QB.  They still have the backup QB in Hoyer.

They have Kelly here to make sure that Jacoby does not demand an outrageous salary.  Kelly starts next season at a bargain salary.  They take the extra money they don't have to spend on a QB and start getting all the pieces in place for a great franchise.  Great defensive players and great offensive tools.   So many teams overspend on the QB and forsake the other parts of the puzzle.  

Dak looked great in Dallas because of the offensive line and a very good running back.  Kelly can run circles around him as far as talent goes.  When Romo was injured they had extra money to spend on the rest of the team.  Dak turned down $30 million.  He is not worth the money.  Jacoby will ask for a lot next year.  He is not worth it.  Colts insurance policy Kelly or a draft choice with a vet at the backup position.  Just my two cents.

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

You guys are not looking at this thru the right lenses.....Hoyer is to play the Hasselback role. He's not here to be a starter, he's here to be a mentor and IF he's called upon to play - manage a game.

He's a second set of eyes, helps break down game tape, share his experiences both good and bad. Help with dissecting coverages in game in between drives, etc.

But MOST NOTABLY he has served as the primary backup to Tom Brady for 5 seasons as well as absorbing info from Josh McDaniels and Bill Belichek on game planning.....

That, my friends is what makes him a valuable commodity to the growth and development of Brissett and Kelly.

To all the people moaning read the above post 5 times.  If you still want to moan read it 5 more times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I didn't realized he signed for 27 million... you guys assuming he is only spending 1 year here are the same assuming this team views Chad Kelly as a longterm solution... 

He signed for $12 mil. Over 3 years, 9 mil. Guaranteed 

• Like 1

Some of these guys would want us to give a shot to Kaep who hasn’t thrown a ball in 3 years or played in a motion offense like Hoyer, ever, than have a sensible signing like this.

Hasselback is the first guy I thought of with the Hoyer signing for a similarity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

Name one.  The only guy I can think of is Roethlisberger, and I don't think Kelly has Big Ben level talent

My response wasn’t intended as a comment on Kelly’s talent level, kits challenging the blind assertion that a GM wouldn’t ever take on a QB with off the field flags. 

TBF as far as I know Big Ben was behaved in college, but he’s hardly been the most the stand up locker room guy since being in the league.