Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Hoyer signs

1959Colts

12 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

They gave him 9 guaranteed, so the other 3 was incentivized? 

No the other 3 million is not guaranteed. From what I've seen, Hoyer will get 5 million this year, and 4 million next year fully guaranteed whether we keep him or not. 

The third year Hoyer will make 3 million if we keep him, but gets nothing if we cut him.

30 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

This means one of two things IMO:

A) The Front Office is confident that Brissett is the QB of the future for the team, and grabbed a quality vet QB to back him after he gets re-signed. 

OR...

B) They plan to let Brissett walk after the season. Hoyer starts for us in 2020. We either grab Tua or Herbert in 2020 or Lawrence in 2021, and Hoyer is their mentor while they develop, giving them a smart game manager to teach them the ropes. 

One of these two options is what I think ends up happening, and honestly I wouldn’t be too upset about either scenario, because it either means that Brissett is the answer or we get a quality Mentor-Protoge relationship with a rookie similar to the Smith-Mahomes bridge. 

Thoughts?

Considering those are the only two options, yeah I agree

9 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Some of the comments here are flat out void of any intelligence. People are mad we signed someone that has learned (just like JB) under Brady, Hoodie and McDaniels and was more than serviceable when called upon. We only have to keep him for one season anyway if we want to. 

Unfortunately, you could say the bolded for most of the threads here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

The question is do we draft a QB just because Ballard leaves no stone unturned.  Regardless of how the season turns out. Hoyer is temporary and Kelly is being monitored. 

I believe C. Coward said it’s sound to draft at least a developmental type every other year. It can pay dividends, as the Patriots are proof. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I understand this should probably go in another thread, but if I were Luck I would insist on giving the money back.  How do you just keep money that you didn't earn?  I understand it is awkward to ask for the money back (if you're Irsay), but isn't just as awkward not to insist on giving it back?

I agree but when it comes to money you no. Everyone keeps saying Irsay did it because he might be coming back. I do not think he is Irsay is a good owner and maybe to nice. Luck should have taken of for the year and then decided 

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

They are heavily vested in Kelly's potential, no way do they cut him or put him on the PS. We have guys that can be maneuvered to make room for 3 QB's.

Don't know about the practice part but every Colts fan probably knows this ....We know Hoyer has reached whatever potential he had …….. My gut says Jacoby is reaching an age (29) where GM's don't factor in the word "potential " too often …..Everywhere I see Chad Kelly's name on the internet 80% of the time the words "high potential " has been attached to his name . BELIEVE ME Ballard realizes this. To me this is like buying a car …...We gave Kelly a test drive ...We are walking up to the car salesman to tell him we WILL be doing a 2nd test drive on Mr. Kelly before we rule him out (if I know Mr. Ballard ).

It's a solid signing by Ballard.  Improves the QB room and provides some stability.  Hopefully, they will also find a way to keep Kelly after he serves his suspension.  Ballard did say at yesterday's press conference that they really like Kelly but didn't go any further than that.  We'll find out  what he is thinking soon enough.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Don't know about the practice part but every Colts fan probably knows this ....We know Hoyer has reached whatever potential he had …….. My gut says Jacoby is reaching an age (29) where GM's don't factor in the word "potential " too often …..Everywhere I see Chad Kelly's name on the internet 80% of the time the words "high potential " has been attached to his name . BELIEVE ME Ballard realizes this. To me this is like buying a car …...We gave Kelly a test drive ...We are walking up to the car salesman to tell him we WILL be doing a 2nd test drive on Mr. Kelly before we rule him out (if I know Mr. Ballard ).

JB isn’t even 27 yet lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I believe C. Coward said it’s sound to draft at least a developmental type every other year. It can pay dividends, as the Patriots are proof. 

Patriots do it all the time. Then  they let them go and get a comp pick. Jimmy G was a second round pick and JB was a third. I think it’s smart to draft a Qb high but not to high to be a backup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

Who would you rather have? Heinke, Fales, Cassel, Weeden, Osweiller? Some would still + if Ballard traded Walker straight up for Mahomes. If Brissett sucks , yes, we are in trouble but that's life.

I am not saying I would rather if they signed someone else. Considering the circumstances, he is about the best they could do.

It's just that some here are thrilled with this signing. And believe if Brissett is ineffective or injured we are in good hands.

My point is simply, as I remember watching Hoyer, when he was called upon to start, I thought he was very mediocre.

But true... that's life. Life because of what Luck did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I bet you're a real hoot at parties aren't you?

Semantics people.....he has had far more success than Tolzien ever had. Not as much as Hasselback, but its a role thing not a talent thing.

I am!  Why because I don’t share your opinion? I don’t see why you have to make it personal.   Watch out if you don’t agree with Scott you’re no fun. Oh well.  

It’s just my opinion.  

im talking about this stage in his ability.  

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

This means one of two things IMO:

A) The Front Office is confident that Brissett is the QB of the future for the team, and grabbed a quality vet QB to back him after he gets re-signed. 

OR...

B) They plan to let Brissett walk after the season. Hoyer starts for us in 2020. We either grab Tua or Herbert in 2020 or Lawrence in 2021, and Hoyer is their mentor while they develop, giving them a smart game manager to teach them the ropes. 

One of these two options is what I think ends up happening, and honestly I wouldn’t be too upset about either scenario, because it either means that Brissett is the answer or we get a quality Mentor-Protoge relationship with a rookie similar to the Smith-Mahomes bridge. 

Thoughts?

I have to doubt they envision Hoyer as the possible starter for 2020.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I have to doubt they envision Hoyer as the possible starter for 2020.

Like I posted somewhere else earlier today. I don't think they have any intention of him starting at all unless JB gets hurt in week 1 or 2.

If JB does get hurt, I look for Kelly to start with Hoyer backing him up.

At that point you have to see what you have in Kelly the rest of the year.

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I am not saying I would rather if they signed someone else. Considering the circumstances, he is about the best they could do.

It's just that some here are thrilled with this signing. And believe if Brissett is ineffective or injured we are in good hands.

My point is simply, as I remember watching Hoyer, when he was called upon to start, I thought he was very mediocre.

But true... that's life. Life because of what Luck did.

Thats how I feel for the most part.  I’ve seen Hoyer and not impressed but if he was the best available so be it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

If we ever have to go beyond Jacoby which (at least at this exact point in time ) I hope we do not have to ….I think it is going to be very very interesting to see if they go to Hoyer or Kelly .

Probably depend what our record is.

You have to see what you have in CK though at some point(if JB goes down)

1 minute ago, HOF19 said:

Here is an interesting thought....Who would surprise this fan base more  if they started and played real good Hoyer or Kelly ?

Hoyer

I don't expect much on the field from him.

Kelly has some potential.

• Like 2

Just now, w87r said:

Probably depend what our record is.

You have to see what you have in CK though at some point(if JB goes down)

The interesting thing about Chad Kelly is...

No decision really has to be made for about three weeks.

They can just sit back and let the whole QB situation unfold.

Then decide what direction they want to move with Kelly after week two is in the books.

Who know what the team may look like then?

• Like 1

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Then decide what direction they want to move with Kelly after week two is in the books.

Very true

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Suspension ends up working out good for us in that aspect. 

• Like 2