Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Hoyer signs

1959Colts

Here's something to think about if Jacoby is not the answer at QB - you don't want Kelly to be the most senior QB in your young rookie QB's room. I know he's been behaving well so far, but he has a track record of about half a decade of being a headcase before he ended up on our roster. 

• Like 6

i will say that i dont think Brissett is the answer.  Kelly may not be either, but i think hes better and could be the backup to our real future starter 

hoyer makes sense to me for now, he can be the bridge backup and might even start some games this year.

As much as I don't like Mike Florio, this is take on this signing:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/02/colts-pay-for-brian-hoyers-brain-as-much-as-for-his-brawn/

"His experiences and recall will come in handy this season for the Colts, even though the rivalry with the Patriots won’t be renewed until the playoffs, if both teams make it there. Along the way, Hoyer will have a chance to help guide Chad Kelly on the right path when he returns from a two-game suspension.

And it’s now clear that, when Kelly returns, he’ll likely be No. 3 behind Jacoby Brissett and Hoyer."

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

You guys are not looking at this thru the right lenses.....Hoyer is to play the Hasselback role. He's not here to be a starter, he's here to be a mentor and IF he's called upon to play - manage a game.

This was my view from the moment they mentioned bringing him in for a visit. For the inexperience in our QB room, this makes a ton of sense.

I know a lot of people are hung up on Kelly, but you can't have a player that is on an extremely short leash be in that valuable QB2 spot just yet. I think they keep him around to learn, develop, and mature, because he has a ton of potential. He may even be able to be stashed on the PS when he gets back. Nobody questioned his talent or ability. They questioned his pattern of terrible decision making. He went last in the draft for a reason and was cut by Denver for a reason. Him having a strong preseason doesn't really change the biggest concern teams have about him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, aaron11 said:

i will say that i dont think Brissett is the answer.  Kelly may not be either, but i think hes better and could be the backup to our real future starter 

hoyer makes sense to me for now, he can be the bridge backup and might even start some games this year.

Yeah I agree. It is what it is.

Either the team could look great this season, or we could stink. 

A lot of unknown questions will be answered starting in six days.

Perfect backup/mentor QB for the Colts.  Reminds me of the Hasselbeck role.  Three years keeps him in place as the Colts let the season play out and helps them figure out if our future No. 1 is currently on the roster or not.  Brissett and Kelly will both benefit tremendously by having Hoyer on the team.  Hopefully one of them takes the job but if something goes wrong we can still bring in a young QB through the draft and Hoyer can mentor him.  I like the strategy a lot.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

The contract is undeserving of someone with Hoyer’s record as a starter 

Good thing he isn't coming in to start.

Ptetty cheap for a vet backup QB tbh.

I was thinking $6-$10m a season. So $4m looks pretty good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s all going to depend on injuries. If the team stays healthy you can keep 3. If there is a rash of injuries it’s going to be hard to keep 3.

Not really.  I don't think there is a huge fall off between the last 6 or 7 guys on the roster who are inactive game day and the practice squad.  They all practice together.  You can also sign someone off another practice squad as well.  That's how we got Glowinski last year.  Kelly has too much talent and upside to even try to put him on our practice squad.  I think he needs to stay on the active roster.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

wrong donald trump GIF by Election 2016

I’m pretty sure we keep him there is way too much potential there to cut him loose.

I misspoke in my comment. I realize their is no need to cut Kelly now. Since he is suspended.

But I do believe he will be cut after the suspension. 

1 hour ago, dew5150 said:

Hoyer's salary is bigger than Brissett's now, lol

I think Kelly will be our starter next year Hoyer is just the maytag guy. I just do not think Coby is going to be the answer hope i am wrong about Coby. But I do think Kelly has more upside down the line.:rock:

2 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

Luck should help with some of his bonus money to pay Hoyer 

I understand this should probably go in another thread, but if I were Luck I would insist on giving the money back.  How do you just keep money that you didn't earn?  I understand it is awkward to ask for the money back (if you're Irsay), but isn't just as awkward not to insist on giving it back?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I misspoke in my comment. I realize their is no need to cut Kelly now. Since he is suspended.

But I do believe he will be cut after the suspension. 

Would this make him more attractive to another team (benefiting Chad), or do you think this would hurt him?  I think Frank will try to benefit Chad due to the friendship with Jim, and Chad has at least earned that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bhougland said:

I understand this should probably go in another thread, but if I were Luck I would insist on giving the money back.  How do you just keep money that you didn't earn?  I understand it is awkward to ask for the money back (if you're Irsay), but isn't just as awkward not to insist on giving it back?

Not that simple. Luck could of said he couldn't play and forced them to put him on IR which would mean we would of owed him over $30m this year.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

You guys are not looking at this thru the right lenses.....Hoyer is to play the Hasselback role. He's not here to be a starter, he's here to be a mentor and IF he's called upon to play - manage a game.

He's a second set of eyes, helps break down game tape, share his experiences both good and bad. Help with dissecting coverages in game in between drives, etc.

But MOST NOTABLY he has served as the primary backup to Tom Brady for 5 seasons as well as absorbing info from Josh McDaniels and Bill Belichek on game planning.....

That, my friends is what makes him a valuable commodity to the growth and development of Brissett and Kelly.

He’s more Tolzien than hasselback. 

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

Not that simple. Luck could of said he couldn't play and forced them to put him on IR which would mean we would of owed him over $30m this year.

I guess, but if he knew he didn't want to play, then that would be super shady.  I guess I just thought he would do the right thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I am not sold on Hoyer as a starting QB. If Brissett doesnt work out, it could mean big trouble.

Remember, he was benched several times when with Houston in favor of Ryan Mallett.

Hoyer came in to the Houston vs Colts game (after Mallett was injured) and the Colts won.

Hoyer struggled throughout that season.

Who would you rather have? Heinke, Fales, Cassel, Weeden, Osweiller? Some would still + if Ballard traded Walker straight up for Mahomes. If Brissett sucks , yes, we are in trouble but that's life.

4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

He’s more Tolzien than hasselback. 

I am not elated with Hoyer but I still think he is more Hasselback than Tolzien.  He has experience, like Hasselback, but without the success.

I will be frustrated if we do keep Kelly, Brissett struggles or get injured, and Hoyer takes reps from Kelly.  That is a surefire way to stay in QB purgatory.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bhougland said:

I am not elated with Hoyer but I still think he is more Hasselback than Tolzien.  He has experience, like Hasselback, but without the success.

I will be frustrated if we do keep Kelly, Brissett struggles or get injured, and Hoyer takes reps from Kelly.  That is a surefire way to stay in QB purgatory.

Kelly is young, immature, and inexperienced. I like him as much as the next guy but if brissett goes down Hoyer is the next man up. Kelly needs time grow and prove he’s the real deal

• Like 3

This means one of two things IMO:

A) The Front Office is confident that Brissett is the QB of the future for the team, and grabbed a quality vet QB to back him after he gets re-signed. 

OR...

B) They plan to let Brissett walk after the season. Hoyer starts for us in 2020. We either grab Tua or Herbert in 2020 or Lawrence in 2021, and Hoyer is their mentor while they develop, giving them a smart game manager to teach them the ropes. 

One of these two options is what I think ends up happening, and honestly I wouldn’t be too upset about either scenario, because it either means that Brissett is the answer or we get a quality Mentor-Protoge relationship with a rookie similar to the Smith-Mahomes bridge. 

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Kelly is young, immature, and inexperienced. I like him as much as the next guy but if brissett goes down Hoyer is the next man up. Kelly needs time grow and prove he’s the real deal

I didn't really make my real point clear in my last point.  I have this feeling where the Colts really need to find out what we have with Jacoby and Kelly before we either extend Brissett or draft a qb in the draft.

Also, how do you find out if he is the real deal if you don't play him?  We all know what Hoyer is capable of, he can probably take us 8-8 year after year with this roster.

13 minutes ago, bhougland said:

My point is I get that he’s probably good in the film room etc but hasselback could still sling it when we got him just not for a 16 game season.  I don’t think Hoyer can make all the throws.  

5 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

This means one of two things IMO:

A) The Front Office is confident that Brissett is the QB of the future for the team, and grabbed a quality vet QB to back him after he gets re-signed. 

OR...

B) They plan to let Brissett walk after the season. Hoyer starts for us in 2020. We either grab Tua or Herbert in 2020 or Lawrence in 2021, and Hoyer is their mentor while they develop, giving them a smart game manager to teach them the ropes. 

One of these two options is what I think ends up happening, and honestly I wouldn’t be too upset about either scenario, because it either means that Brissett is the answer or we get a quality Mentor-Protoge relationship with a rookie similar to the Smith-Mahomes bridge. 

Thoughts?

I think A Is more likely. They still might have plans to have Kelly backup JB next year if he proves himself. They can always cut Hoyer. 

• Like 1