Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Hoyer signs

1959Colts

Good solid backup.  He gives them some insurance going forward regardless what Jacoby does. If Jacoby doesn’t perform well he be a bridge to a new QB as well.  

Another reason I like this move is that he’s coming from New England like Jacoby did.  Hopefully Jacoby can use that to help get him up to speed by being able to help translate the differences in the offenses like saying okay what X was in New England is Y here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Same, a bit confused by the length. They are practically signing him to be the long-term backup. I guess they were not as in love with Kelly as most people here. I will wait to see the guarantees on that contract because initial reports are almost always extremely skewed in favor of presenting the contract to be as lucrative as possible(because it's the agents that leak those numbers). 

Ballard is known for structuring contracts, where after the first year, the team has options to release the player. Front-loading I believe it's called.

• Like 1

Needed at Qb2 while CK serves his suspension anyway.  Its also

injury insurance. Defenses are going to be all over JB early on.

Teams have been hearing how good the colts are and will be playing

their A game every week.  I wouldn't be surprised if JB gets dinged

up and has to miss a few games. Hoyer coming in could potentially

supplant JB.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Good solid backup.  He gives them some insurance going forward regardless what Jacoby does. If Jacoby doesn’t perform well he be a bridge to a new QB as well.  

Another reason I like this move is that he’s coming from New England like Jacoby did.  Hopefully Jacoby can use that to help get him up to speed by being able to help translate the differences in the offenses like saying okay what X was in New England is Y here.

I was thinking... that signing makes it less likely they are thinking of Brissett as a bridge QB. They will either sign him to a long-term franchise QB deal, or they will let him go. I doubt they will draft a new QB high to be our future QB and sign Brissett as the bridge since they already have good vet presence in the QB room. 

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Ballard is known for structuring contracts, where after the first year, the team has options to release the player. Front-loading I believe it's called.

yep, a lot of his contracts, especially the 3 year ones are like that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Same, a bit confused by the length. They are practically signing him to be the long-term backup. I guess they were not as in love with Kelly as most people here. I will wait to see the guarantees on that contract because initial reports are almost always extremely skewed in favor of presenting the contract to be as lucrative as possible(because it's the agents that leak those numbers). 

Yeah, it's the length of the signing that worries me but like you said well just have to wait and see the contract they gave him. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

It’s the length of the deal that got me too. It if it helps either Jacoby or Chad, or both progress in any way, then could be money well spent, just hope he never plays really.

• Like 1

Don't get hung up on the 3 years.

We can easily get out of deal after 1 year, if that is what they decide to do.

It gives us some flexibility as well. Say we carry 3 QB's, Brissett doesn't play up to expectations, we can let him go and Kelly can have Hoyer as vet presence to lean on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

To me this says they have no faith in JB being the guy going forward. They secured a solid guy that can bridge the gap for a new qb to get up to speed, and be a veteran presence moving forward. 

Either that OR they have a lot of confidence in him and will offer him long-term contract and have Hoyer as his long-term backup. The thing I think is not very likely is that they think of JB as a bridge QB for a future franchise QB that we will draft next off-season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

To me this says they have no faith in JB being the guy going forward. They secured a solid guy that can bridge the gap for a new qb to get up to speed, and be a veteran presence moving forward. 

They gave themselves a good backup plan if JB doesn't work out. If he does they still have a cheap backup in Hoyer if they choose. 3 year deal is irrelevant at this point. It is a 1 year deal that will be reevaluated at the end of season. Regardless $9m wont be hard to get out of.

4 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

Actually o think it could mean the opposite. They could be thinking JB is the next Franchise QB.

5 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

While I am surprised it was for three years, other team's interest likely played a part, this makes me feel better about the QB situation this year.  Should Brissett struggle or become injured, Hoyer can win you a game if needed.

Makes sense.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Don't get hung up on the 3 years.

We can easily get out of deal after 1 year, if that is what they decide to do.

It gives us some flexibility as well. Say we carry 3 QB's, Brissett doesn't play up to expectations, we can let him go and Kelly can have Hoyer as vet presence to lean on.

I agree. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

You guys are not looking at this thru the right lenses.....Hoyer is to play the Hasselback role. He's not here to be a starter, he's here to be a mentor and IF he's called upon to play - manage a game.

He's a second set of eyes, helps break down game tape, share his experiences both good and bad. Help with dissecting coverages in game in between drives, etc.

But MOST NOTABLY he has served as the primary backup to Tom Brady for 5 seasons as well as absorbing info from Josh McDaniels and Bill Belichek on game planning.....

That, my friends is what makes him a valuable commodity to the growth and development of Brissett and Kelly.

I totally agree and was going to expand on my prior post in regards to the Pat's connection and the "Hasselback role".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, w87r said:

They gave themselves a good backup plan if JB doesn't work out. If he does they still have a cheap backup in Hoyer if they choose. 3 year deal is irrelevant at this point. It is a 1 year deal that will be reevaluated at the end of season. Regardless $9m wont be hard to get out of.

I am not sold on Hoyer as a starting QB. If Brissett doesnt work out, it could mean big trouble.

Remember, he was benched several times when with Houston in favor of Ryan Mallett.

Hoyer came in to the Houston vs Colts game (after Mallett was injured) and the Colts won.

Hoyer struggled throughout that season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

While I am surprised it was for three years, other team's interest likely played a part, this makes me feel better about the QB situation this year.  Should Brissett struggle or become injured, Hoyer can win you a game if needed.

My prediction...JB will not play all 16 games. He holds onto the ball too long...the year he filled in he was knocked silly many games. He is a tough dude but him holding onto the ball and his slow to read will get him banged up at some point.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think we’ll carry three.  Kelly showed too much...

I agree. If Jacoby goes 4-2 or something, his asking rate might go up, that’s the chance they take if they wait. But if he goes 1-5 and doesn’t perform as expected, it’s a chance worth taking to wait on any extensions, IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

I am not sold on Hoyer as a starting QB. If Brissett doesnt work out, it could mean big trouble.

Remember, he was benched several times when with Houston in favor of Ryan Mallett.

Hoyer came in to the Houston vs Colts game (after Mallett was injured) and the Colts won.

Hoyer struggled throughout that season.

I don't think Hoyer is here to start at all, unless JB gets hurt the first 2 games. 

Hoyer is here to be a backup, be that for Brissett or Kelly.

If JB doesn't play as expected, they can cut ties with him after season and roll with Kelly and Hoyer next year. If that's what they choose.

It was a good deal for Colts. Prettt much covers all possibilities.

1. JB is the answer, cut Hoyer next year or keep him for what will be relativity cheap. Depends on Kelly.

2. JB isnt the answer, they go with Kelly or Draft young guy, still have Hoyer for cheap to be backup, or can cut if they want for not to bad of a cap hit.

• Like 6

I don't want to see Hoyer on the field. I guess I am not alone with this opinion. :)

But if he is the veteran, who the QB video room, the locker room, Reich, etc. needs/wants, then so be it. Kelly, obviously has a long way to prove that he can be an NFL QB not just on the field but off the field as well. The QB is a role model, and has to have leadership traits, esecially for Ballard & Reich.

Anyway, I don't think we should give too much attention to the lenght of the contract. It's just probably the consequence of a) Luck's sudden retirement and the need that at least one QB should be under contract beyond 2019, b) the fact that 3-4 teams appeared from nowhere who all were looking for a backup. It's still 1+ "and prove it", or 1+ "if we need you".

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't think Hoyer is here to start at all, unless JB gets hurt the first 2 games. 

Hoyer is here to be a backup, be that for Brissett or Kelly.

If JB doesn't play as expected, they can cut ties with him after season and roll with Kelly and Hoyer next year. If that's what they choose.

It was a good deal for Colts. Prettt much covers all possibilities.

1. JB is the answer, cut Hoyer next year or keep him for what will be relativity cheap. Depends on Kelly.

2. JB isnt the answer, they go with Kelly or Draft young guy, still have Hoyer for cheap to be backup, or can cut if they want for not to bad of a cap hit.

Exactly!!! Well said!!!

Good sensible signing by Ballard!!! A vet who has played in a similar motion offense for years and someone that would get up to pace quickly to serve as backup for first 2 games.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My prediction...JB will not play all 16 games. He holds onto the ball too long...the year he filled in he was knocked silly many games. He is a tough dude but him holding onto the ball and his slow to read will get him banged up at some point.

Hopefully the veteran presence of  Hoyer can help him correct that.

• Like 1