Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9/1 Roster Moves

CR91

9 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

That’s the way this team is built.  It’s a good thing. The coach and Ballard preach competition at every position.  

Hoyer is no competition.  

I think Hoyer is the perfect bridge backup to next season.  Brissett gets to prove himself with a good team and hopefully with a veteran backup to lean on.  CK also gets a chance to keep continuing to prove himself to the coaches.  He's the real competition at the position.  If something does happen to Brissett I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly is the 1st. off the bench.  Yes, I think we have three QB's on the active roster when Kelly becomes eligible.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I am cool with signing Hoyer for the year, he has always played well against the Colts, he’s smart and a vet! I say this with 1  caveat I want to KEEP Chad Kelly! Don’t cut him!!  It would be fine for this year!  Remember folks Jacoby is a free agent after next year as well

I'd like both a vet QB and Kelly, also, but I don't like the idea of cutting two guys from what looks like a good roster of 53 to make it happen.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think Hoyer is the perfect bridge backup to next season.  Brissett gets to prove himself with a good team and hopefully with a veteran backup to lean on.  CK also gets a chance to keep continuing to prove himself to the coaches.  He's the real competition at the position.  If something does happen to Brissett I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly is the 1st. off the bench.  Yes, I think we have three QB's on the active roster when Kelly becomes eligible.

He would be a benefit to JB in game planning 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, il vecchio said:

I'd like both a vet QB and Kelly, also, but I don't like the idea of cutting two guys from what looks like a good roster of 53 to make it happen.

The last player on the roster can be cut when CK comes back 

PW can be cut from PS and the player cut or someone at that position can be added to the PS

Just now, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Agree but life’s hard sometimes  Milligan is an easy cut The next one would be hard

See my response(solution)

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

PW can be cut from PS and the player cut or someone at that position can be added to the PS

I think they will keep walker on the PS.  They really like him as the scout team QB.  Especially since they play two mobile QBs in their division every year.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Then you cut another player then

You can only dress 46 or 47 on game day 

Right.  I could see them going either way with Walker on the PS to be honest.  I know they like him but do they really need four QBs between the active roster and the PS especially when you know Walker isn’t being developed for the future?

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Right.  I could see them going either way with Walker on the PS to be honest.  I know they like him but do they really need four QBs between the active roster and the PS especially when you know Walker isn’t being developed for the future?

For practice purposes you could use the kid from South Florida to be a running QB

29 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think I’m in the minority that does not want Hoyer.   He has a weak arm and I don’t think he can win a game.  

The only positive will will be no fan will be calling for him to replace brissett if brissett falters.  

Hope he is just the 2 game answer.  

I agree.

We’re clearly in “beggars can’t be choosers” territory with Brian Hoyer....he STUNK to high heavens in his last real body of work in San Francisco prior to Garoppolo’s arrival... and yes, I watched the games.

Peyton Manning’s statue has more pocket mobility and awareness than Brian Hoyer.

Like you said.... I hope this is just to fill the 2-game gap.... and I REALLY hope Kelly keeps his * out of hot water going forward.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

the whole point some are trying to make is he prolly isnt going to the PS cause he will likely be picked up. he prolly isnt plan B but he will have to be kept on the 53

I think that is exactly what I said in the post you quoted me on... 

And after the Indy Star's post on bringing Hoyer in for visit, I think it's very realistic. I think they keep Kelly like the Pats did Brissett, and try to groom him into either a) a "competent backup" as Frank Reich put what they are looking for today. or b) trade value. 

6 hours ago, waka waka said:

he won't be used at QB at all he's not as good as Walker at QB his running style is very Kamara like 

Talk about field vision.....he's got a little Barry Sanders in him the way he can start and stop, jump cut, reverse and burst through a hole.  Who do the Bengals have that they would cut him for?

Mixon

Bernard

Perine

Williams

Perhaps they thought he was redundant with Bernard???? Their loss, potentially our gain

31 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

I'd like Andrew Luck to be our starting quarterback with Brissett as backup and who gives a ratsass after that, with this roster... but we can thank Andrew for these tough decisions. I trust Ballard to make the right move. For now and later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Bingo on both. Hoyer is mediocre at best. Anyone can look at his record and stats and see that.

Record and stats sometimes are bad ways to judge a player, if you don't watch his tape along with the numbers. The problem is, that Hoyer usually doesn't look any better on tape than his stats.

However, if Ballard & Reich co. thinks that Kelly is not ready to take the backup job (for whatever reason, character or stg. else), and they think Hoyer would be a good partner in the film room and on the sideline for Jacoby, then so be it. They know better than I.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

I would hate to cut anyone past Milligan, but we do have position groups that are a bit overstaffed compared to a typical roster. 

LB (6) - We play 2 LBs 80+% of the time...... Not sure we need to carry 6 given that, and both SAMs are probably the 5th and 6th best. Honestly if we're going to have 3 LBs on the field at the same time I'd rather it be Walker and Maniac, plus either Speed or Okereke. While I love both Adams and Franklin, we could function just fine with one of them.

WR (6) - I love having the luxury of 6, but we simply don't need 6. Especially if we can figure out an alternative on returns. I'd rather keep 6 WRs than 4 TEs though (in general given our scheme).

TE (4) - We used 2 TE sets about a 1/4 of the snaps IIRC. That's not much and doesn't really justify 4. I would hate to risk losing Hentges but keeping 4 is also a luxury. While I would typically prefer 6 WR over 4 TEs due to snap counts/scheme, I think Hale is a better long term prospect than Pascal.

DL (10) - I'd love to keep all 10, but 10 guys for 4 positions is a luxury, especially when we have only 8 right now for only 5 OL spots.

In short, I'm OK with carrying 3 QBs for the year, but Hoyer isn't anything to get excited about. Cutting him mid season if they became confident in CK is something that wouldn't shock me. We can certainly afford it. But even if he's here for the year, the roster will be healthy even if we have to cut Milligan +1.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Record and stats sometimes are bad ways to judge a player, if you don't watch his tape along with the numbers. The problem is, that Hoyer usually doesn't look any better on tape than his stats.

However, if Ballard & Reich co. thinks that Kelly is not ready to take the backup job (for whatever reason, character or stg. else), and they think Hoyer would be a good partner in the film room and on the sideline for Jacoby, then so be it. They know better than I.

While I agree record and stats don't tell the story in small doses, it typically is spot on over time. Hoyer has had 10 years.... And like you said, his tape isn't inspiring either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

PW must have been cut/added 25 times last year. He knows the drill- to make an NFL paycheck. It can’t be fun, but otherwise he’d be looking for a different career.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I would hate to cut anyone past Milligan, but we do have position groups that are a bit overstaffed compared to a typical roster. 

LB (6) - We play 2 LBs 80+% of the time...... Not sure we need to carry 6 given that, and both SAMs are probably the 5th and 6th best. Honestly if we're going to have 3 LBs on the field at the same time I'd rather it be Walker and Maniac, plus either Speed or Okereke. While I love both Adams and Franklin, we could function just fine with one of them.

WR (6) - I love having the luxury of 6, but we simply don't need 6. Especially if we can figure out an alternative on returns. I'd rather keep 6 WRs than 4 TEs though (in general given our scheme).

TE (4) - We used 2 TE sets about a 1/4 of the snaps IIRC. That's not much and doesn't really justify 4. I would hate to risk losing Hentges but keeping 4 is also a luxury. While I would typically prefer 6 WR over 4 TEs due to snap counts/scheme, I think Hale is a better long term prospect than Pascal.

DL (10) - I'd love to keep all 10, but 10 guys for 4 positions is a luxury, especially when we have only 8 right now for only 5 OL spots.

In short, I'm OK with carrying 3 QBs for the year, but Hoyer isn't anything to get excited about. Cutting him mid season if they became confident in CK is something that wouldn't shock me. We can certainly afford it. But even if he's here for the year, the roster will be healthy even if we have to cut Milligan +1.

Well thought out response.  Thing is, unlike in past years, every guy in each of those positions appears to be deserving and able to step up and play, if needed.

We'll see soon how this all plays out.

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think I’m in the minority that does not want Hoyer.   He has a weak arm and I don’t think he can win a game.  

The only positive will will be no fan will be calling for him to replace brissett if brissett falters.  

Hope he is just the 2 game answer.  

You may be in the minority but you are not alone...Hoyer is not any good.

Let us hope that he just holds a clipboard and doesn't need to get on the field, else we are in trouble.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

Well thought out response.  Thing is, unlike in past years, every guy in each of those positions appears to be deserving and able to step up and play, if needed.

It's bittersweet. Sad to see some of those guys go, but it's awesome to know that depth has improved tremendously. It's also pretty great to also have the cap room at the same time.

I think next year's cuts could be much more painful. I'd like to think we'll try and and land difference makers at iDL, OL, and S next year via draft of FA. 

Hoyer, if signed is to play the Hasselback role. Second set of eyes, help break down game tape, share his experience (good and bad), and MOST NOTABLY he served as the primary backup to Tom Brady for 5 seasons as well as absorbing info from Josh McDaniels and Bill Belichek on game planning.....that, my friends is what makes him a valuable commodity to Brissett and Kelly. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

Spot on! Next season will be truly difficult as some young guys we have grown to like will be cut...truly the sign of a team with quality depth.

Sheard will likely be gone as his contract expires. So that opens one spot on the 10 deep rotation.

I would like to see a true KR/PR brought in that does both, plus plays a position like RB/WR/CB that way it forces guys like Pascal or Rogers (as an example) have to earn their spot as WR's.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Spot on! Next season will be truly difficult as some young guys we have grown to like will be cut...truly the sign of a team with quality depth.

Sheard will likely be gone as his contract expires. So that opens one spot on the 10 deep rotation.

I would like to see a true KR/PR brought in that does both, plus plays a position like RB/WR/CB that way it forces guys like Pascal or Rogers (as an example) have to earn their spot as WR's.

There are 2 guys on the PS who could fill the returner role

• Thanks 1

There are 2 guys on the PS who could fill the returner role

It's best to fill the return roles with your 4th or 5th WR, 2nd or 3rd RB, or DB (we really don't have anyone that fits that mold). Ideally in a perfect world, Campbell and Hines. That way you can go down to 5 WRs (cut Pascal) and upgrade on Rogers in next years deep WR pool (or use Fountain if he comes back). I'd be happy to flip Dulin off the PS and onto the 53 IF and only IF he's a better WR and PR option than Rogers. And I think he has a way to go (but has the raw tools).