Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9/1 Roster Moves

CR91

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Kelly isn’t up to speed now there is a problem. He has been with this team since the spring.

Kelly has proven to be a quick learner (playbook not maturity) getting off to very quick starts at two of his college starts, so I wouldn't be too concerned. But, just because he's been here since late May (he's been here a little over 3 months which wasn't all practice time), doesn't mean we should expect him to be ready for the full playbook.

When he came in, he was 4th on the depth chart. Later with AL not practicing, he was 3rd. When Luck retired, he moved ahead of PW and got second team reps. Even then, the playbook in the preseason games was vanilla. Zero chemistry with starters either. Regardless of the who he was playing with, or against, he moved the ball well and executed the vanilla stuff.

Two things stood out in the Ballard-Reich presser to me.

1. Ballard basically said that Lewis is similar to Milton on special teams, but has more upside as a corner.

2. Ballard made it seem like we are going to keep 8 O linemen on the roster so we can keep the players we have at other positions.

• Like 2

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Hoyer would be a good veteran to work with JB. If the colts think Kelly will be the backup next year they might just keep him on the roster. I noticed the saints have 3 QB on their roster. Hoyer could also teach Kelly how to be a pro.  

The Saints usually dress 3 Since they use T. Hill everywhere     

The Panthers used to do it with Joe Webb

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hoyer would be a good veteran to work with JB. If the colts think Kelly will be the backup next year they might just keep him on the roster. I noticed the saints have 3 QB on their roster. Hoyer could also teach Kelly how to be a pro.  

I know it would probably kill CB to sacrifice a roster spot but I think I would be in favor of doing this. The Colts may have to promise a full season to get Hoyer to agree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluefire4 said:

Two things stood out in the Ballard-Reich presser to me.

1. Ballard basically said that Lewis is similar to Milton on special teams, but has more upside as a corner.

2. Ballard made it seem like we are going to keep 8 O linemen on the roster so we can keep the players we have at other positions.

I think we might see Odum as the gunner. Maybe even Tell.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

FYI - A lot of teams carry 3 QBs. Baltimore, Carolina, Cinci, Cleveland, Detroit, LAC, New Orleans, NYG, Oak (they have 4 right now), Phil, Pitt, SF, TB (also 4), Wash (also 4). 14 teams currently. That's almost half the league. Sure things will fluctuate as the year goes on, but it's not uncommon to start the year.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lucky Wolf said:

I know it would probably kill CB to sacrifice a roster spot but I think I would be in favor of doing this. The Colts may have to promise a full season to get Hoyer to agree.

Hoyer is NOT that special...Ballard should not promise him anything except a whole bunch of Benjamins.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

He might not be the answer, but he’s the Colts QB in 2019. Except it! Go Colts!

What do you expect Reich to say? ..."he is keeping the seat warm until Kelly gets up to speed". Of course, he is going to express full confidence in Jacoby...right up to the moment he pulls him.

1 minute ago, CanuckColt said:

What do you expect Reich to say? ..."he is keeping the seat warm until Kelly gets up to speed". Of course, he is going to express full confidence in Jacoby...right up to the moment he pulls him.

You really need to give it up. Kelly will either be the third backup or being going to the PS.

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not sure how I feel bout this

I think I’m in the minority that does not want Hoyer.   He has a weak arm and I don’t think he can win a game.  

The only positive will will be no fan will be calling for him to replace brissett if brissett falters.  

Hope he is just the 2 game answer.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think I’m in the minority that does not want Hoyer.   He has a weak arm and I don’t think he can win a game.  

The only positive will will be no fan will be calling for him to replace brissett if brissett falters.  

Hope he is just the 2 game answer.  

In a with the way fans are acting with CK I think it’s a good idea not to have him the number two. We don’t need a QB controversy. He could play really well and some are still going to be calling for JB head. If they keep CK on the roster they could always make him the starter if JB gets hurt and keep Hoyer as the backup.

30 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Six teams want him. He isn’t going to sign for two games. Chad Kelly and JB could use a veteran mentor.

Regardless of the FO's reasoning (Ballard said they were looking at both a two game bridge and a season long QB), we can easily afford Hoyer. 

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You really need to give it up. Kelly will either be the third backup or being going to the PS.

Even if we do sign Hoyer, we don't know if CK will be 2 or 3. Hoyer is going to have to compete for the #2 spot. Hoyer isn't anything special. He only cracked 3000 yards once in 10 seasons, and in that year, he had more INTs than TDs.... and had 4 fumbles to boot. Over his 10 seasons he has 48 TDs and 30 INTs (plus 17 fumbles). That's a bad ratio.

I get not being confident in Kelly, but scratching my head over all the Hoyer confidence. He's simply not that good. Sure he's likely not to get arrested, but he's not a high caliber QB either.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

In a with the way fans are acting with CK I think it’s a good idea not to have him the number two. We don’t need a QB controversy. He could play really well and some are still going to be calling for JB head.

That’s the way this team is built.  It’s a good thing. The coach and Ballard preach competition at every position.  

Hoyer is no competition.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

That’s the way this team is built.  It’s a good thing. The coach and Ballard preach competition at every position.  

Hoyer is no competition.  

Bingo on both. Hoyer is mediocre at best. Anyone can look at his record and stats and see that.

And not wanting a guy to be a #2 just to avoid a QB controversy is silly. A coach can't preach and be cliche about competition and then try to kill competion.....

I doubt CB and FR are going to worry about a fan driven QB controversy. Now if we start losing, and the locker room starts wanting a change, that's a different thing.

• Thanks 1