Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
stitches

Greg Cosell on Jacoby Brissett and Chad Kelly

Recommended Posts

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/greg-cosell/id638447093?i=1000448166697

 

Cosell is very high on Jacoby Brissett:

"I think [Frank Reich] will really help Jacoby Brissett. I thought, given the circumstances in 2017, with arguably the worst offensive line in football, Jacoby Brissett acquitted himself well. He's got a lot of talent. He can throw it from the pocket, he can move. I thought we saw in his preseason game that he's much better with his pocket movement to avoid pressure, reset and deliver, showing better poise and composure. Probably needs to be little more consistently precise with his ball placement, but he's certainly not scattershot. You know there was a play when he started in 2017 against the 49ers, where he was forced to move outside of the pocket to his right, and he threw the ball almost 60 yards down the field to TY Hilton  on the run for a completion and he threw it as if he was throwing a 5 yard ball. And if that throw was made by Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers, we'd still be talking about it, but because it was Jacoby Brissett and the Colts and 49ers, it got forgotten the second it happened. So he's got a lot of talent. There's a lot of clay to mold. And I think Frank Reich will speed him up, he will design things better for him and I will expect Jacoby Brissett to be a very solid NFL starter with the chance to be a little more than that." 

 

Here's what he said on Chad Kelly and his pre-season:

"Watching him in the pre-season and watching when he came out of college... in that offense again, because Frank Reich does a very good job, Kelly was decisive with his reads and throws in a pass game that does define things very clearly. He was consistently accurate, he has a solid arm. One thing that is bothersome to me as a QB purist and it probably won't change - he tends to bend his knees a lot when he throws and he ends up dropping himself down and throwing from low angle. Now, when you are clean in the pocket that's no problem, so we'll see how that plays out. I don't think his throwing motion will change at this point of his career, but I think there are traits there to work with. He's got very good functional mobility to make plays with his legs, he's a good thrower, has good arm... Assuming no off-field issues... maybe that's a big assumption... he could very well be a very solid backup. "

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how he seems to believe JB is  the better QB while a lot of us see it the opposite. I hope he’s right. We know Ballard and Reich are high on JB and Cossell certainly does a great job watching tape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is JB has a lot of the same characteristics as Luck. We will see if he can work on the touch aspect of the shorter passes.  His arm is bigger then lucks. I actually think we will see more big plays from him then we saw with Luck last year. It’s true about that comparison with Mahomes..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Funny how he seems to believe JB is  the better QB while a lot of us see it the opposite. I hope he’s right. We know Ballard and Reich are high on JB and Cossell certainly does a great job watching tape.

We saw Kelly ripping up #3 defenses.

our last real memory of Brissett was running for his life behind a bad line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Funny how he seems to believe JB is  the better QB while a lot of us see it the opposite. I hope he’s right. We know Ballard and Reich are high on JB and Cossell certainly does a great job watching tape.

Nah I'm one of the people  that think Brissett  is better  currently as I feel Brissett  has better pocket  awareness. Kelly is more athletic,  but Brissett  can still make alot of the same plays with his feet as he is sneaky athletic. There we a few plays Kelly got sacked on where Brissett  would have sidestepped  blitzers. What shows Kelly's  potential  is the fact he hasn't  been with the wrs for long and he still finds them for the most part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

All I know is JB has a lot of the same characteristics as Luck. We will see if he can work on the touch aspect of the shorter passes.  His arm is bigger then lucks. I actually think we will see more big plays from him then we saw with Luck last year. It’s true about that comparison with Mahomes..

Do you think Brissett  is top 5 in arm strength  for starting  qbs. Off tgectop of my head I know Mahomes and rodgers have big arms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Do you think Brissett  is top 5 in arm strength  for starting  qbs. Off tgectop of my head I know Mahomes and rodgers have big arms.

 

Newton and Mahomes are the two strongest IMO. Rodgers has lot some strength over time as he's aged, but he can still zip it. Same with Big Ben. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Do you think Brissett  is top 5 in arm strength  for starting  qbs. Off tgectop of my head I know Mahomes and rodgers have big arms.

Yes I actually do or it’s close. Guess what was JB first pass as a colt. A 50 yard bomb to Moncreif.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when the hell did JB become a franchise QB when 3 months ago he wasnt worth a damn 3rd round pick? I'll never be able to wrap my head around this.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

when the hell did JB become a franchise QB when 3 months ago he wasnt worth a damn 3rd round pick? I'll never be able to wrap my head around this.

 

lol yup. some huge turns in opinion. i was ridiculed for suggesting we should be able to get better than a 4th round pick for him. now he's franchise guy. gonna let it play out and i can see things going either way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EastStreet said:

 

lol yup. some huge turns in opinion. i was ridiculed for suggesting we should be able to get better than a 4th round pick for him. now he's franchise guy. gonna let it play out and i can see things going either way.

I've never seen so many people just blindly follow a player cause he's "nice" lol

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

when the hell did JB become a franchise QB when 3 months ago he wasnt worth a damn 3rd round pick? I'll never be able to wrap my head around this.

No one is saying that. What we are saying is he has a lot of promise and a great team around him. No one knows what he can do with a great team. Why not let’s wait and see before killing the kid. The players love him and he is already a proven leader. I trust Reich. You don’t need a elite QB to win the SB. Rams went to the SB.  Goff is not elite. Foles won a SB. He is not elite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I've never seen so many people just blindly follow a player cause he's "nice" lol

 

"Ballard says" is my favorite reason to pump sunshine.

 

Hope it all works out, and will be cheering for his success, but I don't have blinders on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one is saying that. What we are saying is he has a lot of promise and a great team around him. No one knows what he can do with a great team. Why not let’s wait and see before killing the kid. The players love him and he is already a proven leader. I trust Reich.

oh nonsense no one is saying that. people are throwing out predictions like 3500 to 4000 yards and 35 TDs and him only losing 1 more game than Luck would have it's down right ridiculous. Luck was one of the best QBs to ever come out 3rd round pick JB isnt gonna be Luck in his 2nd season as a starting QB. some have compared him to Rodgers Luck and Big Ben  yet he wasnt worth a 3rd or 4th round pick 3 months ago??? that just dont add up. I know hes the starter but I'm not gonna be a blind homer either he is a big drop off from Andrew Luck end of story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one is saying that. What we are saying is he has a lot of promise and a great team around him. No one knows what he can do with a great team. Why not let’s wait and see before killing the kid. The players love him and he is already a proven leader. I trust Reich. You don’t need a elite QB to win the SB. Rams went to the SB.  Goff is not elite. Foles won a SB. He is not elite.

 

But there are a lot saying it. We actually have a thread titled "Why JB can be the next franchise QB". Personally I'm glad folks are rallying around JB, as they should, but some of the expectations being thrown out there are getting out in front of the headlights. I'm letting things play out, but I can predict the boards emotional turns based on the W/L record as the season progresses. We'll all be happy if he turn out to be a stud, but I think some need to pump the breaks on optimism, while others need to let a little sunshine in to help with pessimism. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

But there are a lot saying it. We actually have a thread titled "Why JB can be the next franchise QB". Personally I'm glad folks are rallying around JB, as they should, but some of the expectations being thrown out there are getting out in front of the headlights. I'm letting things play out, but I can predict the boards emotional turns based on the W/L record as the season progresses. We'll all be happy if he turn out to be a stud, but I think some need to pump the breaks on optimism, while others need to let a little sunshine in to help with pessimism. 

The title is because of the video posted. That is what Nate B said. Not the one who started the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The title is because of the video posted. That is what Nate B said. Not the one who started the thread.

I get that, but it's just furthering the narrative. And a lot of folks seem to embrace it based on some of the predictions going on out there. People are free to feel however they want, I just prefer to be cautiously optimistic so I don't don't stroke out the first half of the season :-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we just choose to be positive. Does no good to worry about it. This is a 53 man roster and a dang good one. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe we just choose to be positive. Does no good to worry about it. This is a 53 man roster and a dang good one. 

and if JB sucks you will be the 1st to jump off a cliff I guarantee that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

and if JB sucks you will be the 1st to jump off a cliff I guarantee that.

No. It is what it is. If it doesn’t work out we will just have to go draft a QB or hope Luck wants to play next year. Yes it will be disappointing but no reason to get mad. Nothing I can do with the decision Luck made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cosell had some pretty questionable takes on Luck in his predraft evaluation...not that everyone bats 1000 but still kinda ironic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No. It is what it is. If it doesn’t work out we will just have to go draft a QB or hope Luck wants to play next year. Yes it will be disappointing but no reason to get mad. Nothing I can do with the decision Luck made.

Let him play out his contract and say bye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This debate is going to go on all year and probably beyond.  Every week Brissett is less than perfect I expect no less than 5 Kelly threads.

 

Just brace yourself.  This could be a long year.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

This debate is going to go on all year and probably beyond.  Every week Brissett is less than perfect I expect no less than 5 Kelly threads.

 

Just brace yourself.  This could be a long year.

What will be funny if we get another QB to backup JB and Ck ends up on the practice squad or another team. Heads will explode. If we bring in a washed up vet off the street Kelly will come back after 2 games. If we claim one off the waivers or make a trade they will be JB backup all year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Kelly on the practice squad this year if possible.  He's a longterm project to me, lots of talent, lots of question marks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I want Kelly on the practice squad this year if possible.  He's a longterm project to me, lots of talent, lots of question marks.

 

Before the preseason, I figured Kelly would make it to through waivers and wind up on the PS. He had a strong preseason and I no longer think he'd clear waivers. And since Luck retired, I don't want them to risk it. They'll keep him. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superman said:

 

Before the preseason, I figured Kelly would make it to through waivers and wind up on the PS. He had a strong preseason and I no longer think he'd clear waivers. And since Luck retired, I don't want them to risk it. They'll keep him. 

I would to see him as the 3(on the roster) until he proves he is completely ready and since he will miss the 1st 2 weeks that could be week 4 or 5 but I will Trust Reich, Sirriani, and Brady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lennon1940 said:

Has arm strength EVER been the knock on JB? Not sure why it's even being discussed. 

We were just discussing  whether he was in the top 5 in arm strength. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yea, I'm sure the Colts are keeping him. I was just saying if the Colts would waive him there is no way he would clear waivers. The Colts would lose him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way I see CK taking meaningful snaps for the Colts are if there is a major injury to JB and/or any else the team brings in or it is a very bad season see Curtis Painter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Agreed, no way Kelly clears waivers.

Agreed walker would clear waivers kelly would get claimed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

The only way I see CK taking meaningful snaps for the Colts are if there is a major injury to JB and/or any else the team brings in or it is a very bad season see Curtis Painter

Or if Brissett  plays so well that he sits out the 4th quarter 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

Oh yea, I'm sure the Colts are keeping him. I was just saying if the Colts would waive him there is no way he would clear waivers. The Colts would lose him.

I understand

    Sadly 3rd QBs and 2nd Kickers are luxuries and are often cut casualties if a spot is needed

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Or if Brissett  plays so well that he sits out the 4th quarter 

That is mop up time not meaningful snaps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

oh nonsense no one is saying that. people are throwing out predictions like 3500 to 4000 yards and 35 TDs and him only losing 1 more game than Luck would have it's down right ridiculous. Luck was one of the best QBs to ever come out 3rd round pick JB isnt gonna be Luck in his 2nd season as a starting QB. some have compared him to Rodgers Luck and Big Ben  yet he wasnt worth a 3rd or 4th round pick 3 months ago??? that just dont add up. I know hes the starter but I'm not gonna be a blind homer either he is a big drop off from Andrew Luck end of story.

We shall see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...