Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Jacoby Brissett can be the next Colts franchise QB.

NannyMcafee

53 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is often a bad sign when a first year player starts from day 1

Indeed.  It usually means that the FO in question has terrible roster management skills

I mean if you've got a rookie that's a rotational guy, that's one thing, a lot of rookies join a positional rotation early on, but outside of running back, which is its own unique animal in the NFL world, where do you really see rookies getting thrown into the fire right out of the gate

48 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

the point is you made it seem like no one does and that's just not true your spouting nonsense cause you hate Kelly. 

I'm spouting nonsense?

I'll note you didn't actually try to name examples.  If it's that common, where are they?

5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm spouting nonsense?

I'll note you didn't actually try to name examples.  If it's that common, where are they?

holy crap dude there is damn near 1 or 2 every year.

hell even if they dont start game 1 they start their 1st season. quit playing dumb.

52 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Well...

#1) He is still trying to stick on an active roster, let alone throw for 5000 yds and 50 touchdowns during an mvp year. I mean, that's probably a good place to start separating those two in this god awful conversation you are trying to create. 

#2) He's played a single regular season play in his NFL career. 1. One. Play. He went out. He knelt. The team went into the locker room. 

#3) He was drafted the very last pick of the draft, he was never projected first round (even aside from his character concerns.) Not once. He was never even viewed as first round talent... He has two torn acl's under his belt. The guys you are trying to put him in the same discussion were all hands down upper 1st round draft picks. 

#4) I'm going to bring character into the conversation, because you don't want it to be as it clearly sets him aside as an outlier of your examples. Chad is lucky he is on a roster. I don't care what kind of intriguing talent he has, the ONLY reason he was signed to this team in the first place is because his uncle happens to be Jim Kelly... 

1) I'm not discussing what they've actually accomplished since being in the league. I'm discussing their skill sets and talent. Kelly has the skill set and talent to be an elite QB in the league if given the chance.

2) See #1

3) Here's where you are wrong in your approach. He was never projected to be a first rounder because BEFORE he ever even started a college game he had dubious character concerns for a QB. Before he ever even started a college game he was a guy who was kicked off a high school team, kicked off a college team, arrested for disorderly conduct, and ran onto a high school field and got in a brawl with a bunch of high schoolers. Again, these were all things BEFORE he ever started a college game. You don't think that stigma already screws up a player before they receive draft projections?

You are lying through your teeth for the sake of a message board argument if you think that John Doe QB with a clean record and good character isn't a projected first rounder if he...

- Had the third most offensive total yards in a single season in SEC history with 4500+ and 41 TD's

- Put up 762 yards and 7 TD's/0 INT's in 2 games against Nick Saban (only other QB in history to go over 750 was Drew Brees) and led the offense to 91 points in those 2 games. 

- Had the 4th highest QBR in the country

- Before injury was on pace to have back to back 4,000 yard seasons, something that has never been accomplished in the SEC. Only 2 other SEC QB's ever accomplished that feat even once: Tim Couch and Manziel. Both were easy 1st rounders. 

- Despite being injured one quarter into his 9th game, still led the SEC in passing that year

- Did all of this at crappy Ole Miss with mediocre talent around him

That is the resume of someone who is a first rounder. I mean, good grief, Paxton Lynch and Josh Allen were first rounders. 

6 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Then it should be easy to name one????  

dear god. Kyler Murray this year probably Daniel Jones too. hell there was 4 alone last year off the top of my head. Baker Mayfield Josh Allen Sam Darnold Lamar Jackson and maybe Josh Rosen cant remember if he started his 1st season but who cares. hell Jackson went to the damn playoffs his first year. so dont sit here and tell me rookies dont start their 1st season.

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

So you're picking 2 of the least competent franchises in the current era as your examples?

also Manning is starting over Jones.  At least in week 1

I said starts their 1st season and dont give me that least competent franchise crap damn near every team has done it. like I said stop playing stupid I know you cant be this dumb. I literally only gave examples from last year and this year.

The only valid example you gave me is of a franchise whose decisionkmaking should absolutely not be emulated in any way.   After what happened to Josh Rosen, until proven otherwise, Arizona is more or less Exhibit A on how to NOT introduce a rookie QB into the league

Even the BROWNS brought in Tyrod Taylor to protect/cover for Baker Mayfield.  And then moved on from him too slowly, but the fact is that even that hapless organization has the common sense to protect their stud rookie with a veteran roster filler guy who could take snaps in case something crazy happened like an injury.

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The only valid example you gave me is of a franchise whose decisionkmaking should absolutely not be emulated in any way. 

Even the BROWNS brought in Tyrod Taylor to protect/cover for Baker Mayfield.  And then moved on from him too slowly, but the fact is that even that hapless organization has the common sense to protect their stud rookie with a veteran roster filler guy who could take snaps in case something crazy happened like an injury.

The Browns also did it in their 1st Year

Brought In Ty Detmer and drafted Tim Couch

That Browns FO did the exact opposite then-Went to Couch too soon

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Browns also did it in their 1st Year

Brought In Ty Detmer and drafted Tim Couch

That Browns FO did the exact opposite then-Went to Couch too soon

Really Bad Things can happen if you go to your rookie too soon.   This league has seen poor kids get their careers entirely derailed and destroyed because they got exposed before the team was ready to support them properly.

Case in point:  Marcus Mariota.  Deshaun Watson is heading that way as well.  Josh Rosen really got hurt by the incompetence of the cardinals because of this too

Not to mention other more... ahem... local examples.

16 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

You are lying through your teeth for the sake of a message board argument if you think that John Doe QB with a clean record and good character isn't a projected first rounder if he...

Haha... "with a clean record, good character, no acl injuries... etc etc."

Yeah we can play the "IF" game all day long... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

Really Bad Things can happen if you go to your rookie too soon.   This league has seen poor kids get their careers entirely derailed and destroyed because they got exposed before the team was ready to support them properly.

Case in point:  Marcus Mariota.  Deshaun Watson is heading that way as well.

That was a rough year for me

Incidentally, this is one of the things that impressed me about Brissett in 2017.  He WAS thrown to the wolves, through no fault of his own, and while he didn't bring the wins we wanted, he looked like he belonged in the NFL. 

The fact that he'd had a year to marinate in one of the best systems in football didn't hurt that though.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Here's where you are wrong in your approach.

The only one wrong in their approach is you... 

You asked another poster here what he was basing the "idea" that Trubinsky and Darnold were better than Chad Kelly was.... because it wasn't college. As if that matters AT ALL right now. Maybe he was basing it on the fact they were both premium franchise qb picks and have both had successful starts as starting qbs and actually have nfl stats to look at instead of nothing...which happens to be exactly what Chad Kelly has and will likely always have. You know why? Because he's not as good... And anyone with a concept of competition would understand that while, yes he has looked good this preseason, it's because he's playing a bunch of nobodies... and Frank Reich is putting him in perfect spots against those nobodies for him to make a read, sit in the pocket all day long, and make some nice plays. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Haha... "with a clean record, good character, no acl injuries... etc etc."

Yeah we can play the "IF" game all day long... 

IF Jared Goff had Kelly's background issues he wouldn't have been a first rounder. Doesn't mean he's not a first round talent. 

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

while, yes he has looked good this preseason, it's because he's playing a bunch of nobodies... 

While being defended by a nobody line corps and throwing completions to nobody receivers?

I can't wait to see Kelly play with the somebodies where he belongs.

38 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The only valid example you gave me is of a franchise whose decisionkmaking should absolutely not be emulated in any way.   After what happened to Josh Rosen, until proven otherwise, Arizona is more or less Exhibit A on how to NOT introduce a rookie QB into the league

Russell Wilson Andrew Luck Carson Wentz Cam Newton I can do this all day stop being a * 

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Russell Wilson Andrew Luck Carson Wentz Cam Newton I can do this all day stop being a * 

I can argue Luck needed to sit behind manning a year or two. He contributed to his injuries with his reckless abandment. He also needed to be taught it’s ok to go to the coach and GM and ask for roster help.

7 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

half the people in Lucas are wearing Kelly jerseys in a couple of years. 

There is already a lot of Kelly jerseys in Lucas Oil... his name is Ryan. 

There will literally never be more than a handful of losers wearing chad kelly jerseys in Lucas Oil. You can book it and shove that fact down your own throat for all I care. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

So in short the only time this has a chance of working is when the team in question is already more or less built, as it was with Luck (Manning's team), Wilson (Hasselbeck's team) or Wentz (Foles' team), or when you have a complete freak of nature like Cam.

Kelly would also easily be the least talented quarterback on a list of him and the guys you mentioned so far.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I can argue Luck needed to sit behind manning a year or two. He contributed to his injuries with his reckless abandment. He also needed to be taught it’s ok to go to the coach and GM and ask for roster help.

yes, and neither Carson Wentz nor Cam seem to have been done any favors by being thrown into the fire considering both have had trouble staying healthy of late.

Ironically then the only quarterback mentioned so far who has benefitted from starting is the guy who wound up on the healthiest franchise with the most competent leadership.  And even then -- Russel wilson had nowhere near the question marks Kelly has right now.

Oh.  And Russel Wilson lost his first game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

There is already a lot of Kelly jerseys in Lucas Oil... his name is Ryan. 

There will literally never be more than a handful of losers wearing chad kelly jerseys in Lucas Oil. You can book it and shove that fact down your own throat for all I care. 

Wouldn't go that far.  there's going to be some sour  princesses who just don't like or trust Brissett and who will be quick to turn on him and yearn for the green grass on the other side of the fence.  Those guys will be busy wearing out our ear drums all year screaming for Kelly, especially if the team starts slow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

dear god your gonna try and say luck wasnt ready when he had one of the best rookie years in history 

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

yes, and neither Carson Wentz nor Cam seem to have been done any favors by being thrown into the fire considering both have had trouble staying healthy of late.

Ironically then the only quarterback mentioned so far who has benefitted from starting is the guy who wound up on the healthiest franchise with the most competent leadership.  And even then -- Russel wilson had nowhere near the question marks Kelly has right now.

damn I cant believe you arent a GM your just so much smarter than 90% of the current GMs. those QBs and franchises would be so much bettered had you been running the show.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

dear god your gonna try and say luck wasnt ready when he had one of the best rookie years in history 

What I said he could of benefited from a few things before starting. He is probably 30% the cause of his own injuries.  Just because your record was good doesn’t mean that there were things that could of helped him out if he would of sat a year. Maybe manning could of showed him how to deal with asking management for things.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What I said he could of benefited from a few things before starting. He is probably 30% the cause of his own injuries.  Just because your record was good doesn’t mean that there were things that could of helped him out if he would of sat a year. Maybe manning could of showed him how to deal with asking management for things.

even the legend himself peyton said luck shouldn't have had to sit. some of y'all are full of crap 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Wouldn't go that far.  there's going to be some sour  princesses who just don't like or trust Brissett and who will be quick to turn on him and yearn for the green grass on the other side of the fence.  Those guys will be busy wearing out our ear drums all year screaming for Kelly, especially if the team starts slow.

Those guys will literally have zero influence on Chris Ballard and Frank Reich... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rebel said:

While being defended by a nobody line corps and throwing completions to nobody receivers?

I can't wait to see Kelly play with the somebodies where he belongs.

Yeah... Campbell is a nobody receiver isn't he? The only reason Hogan isn't going to be on this roster is because we have a deep receiver group. He'll likely land somewhere. 

He doesn't belong anywhere. He's been here and out of trouble for 3 months. He needs to work his way as a backup and prove he isn't a piece of trash anymore before he "belongs" somewhere permanently. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I feel like Chad has a bunch of his personal buddies and family hop on this forum in the last few weeks and preach him up. Ironic that the ones yelling the loudest about him are brand spanking new to this forum. If he's let go, will you go away? 

Lol Brissett  will do fine and if he doesn't  we will find someone  else next year. Personally  I'm  rooting for him because  if he does good we can take best player available. 

• Like 1

I hope Brissett does well, but I'm not overly optimistic.  In 2017, he acquitted himself well being thrown into that situation, but never seemed to progress during the season(in fact at times I felt he regressed) and did nothing in 4th quarters, in the clutch, where the majority of NFL games are won.  The Colts scored few points in the 4th quarter all season.

Jacoby's a solid backup, yes, but he's a backup... if you're looking to compete on the highest level, that is.  Don't get me wrong, you can compete with a lesser QB than Manning or Luck, but I'm afraid he still needs to be a few steps up from Brissett.

Talent-wise, I'm much more intrigued by Kelly, and if the guy is doing everything right and working hard, I'm not going to beat him over the head with things he might have done in the past.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, #12. said:

I hope Brissett does well, but I'm not overly optimistic.  In 2017, he acquitted himself well being thrown into that situation, but never seemed to progress during the season(in fact at times I felt he regressed) and did nothing in 4th quarters, in the clutch, where the majority of NFL games are won.  The Colts scored few points in the 4th quarter all season.

Jacoby's a solid backup, yes, but he's a backup... if you're looking to compete on the highest level, that is.  Don't get me wrong, you can compete with a lesser QB than Manning or Luck, but I'm afraid he still needs to be a few steps up from Brissett.

Talent-wise, I'm much more intrigued by Kelly, and if the guy is doing everything right and working hard, I'm not going to beat him over the head with things he might have done in the past.

Yep...even if we can set aside that the 2017 Brissett-led Colts was one of the worst offenses in the league (because of reasons)...how do we explain the regression as the season went on...or the lack of showing up in the 4th quarter? 

Keep in mind that with Luck, with a torn labrum, that offense was basically top 10 in 2016...with pretty much the same roster and coaching. We are likely talking about a monster difference here going from Luck to Brissett.

We will all root for Brissett...but bring called a hater because I am super skeptical of him as a legit QB seems way off base. There just isn't any data to support this...at this time. That could change...but I will have to see it first.

9 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I feel like Chad has a bunch of his personal buddies and family hop on this forum in the last few weeks and preach him up. Ironic that the ones yelling the loudest about him are brand spanking new to this forum. If he's let go, will you go away? 

I announced in my first post here that I was going to root for the Colts because I watched Kelly for two years at Ole Miss. I also explained that I have never had a pro team since the closest pro team to my hometown was 6 hours away. I would love to finally have a pro team I enjoy watching so I can enjoy both pro and college all week. I apologize for being a newcomer here and acknowledge your invitation to leave as soon as possible.

I do not know Chad Kelly. I have never seen him in person except from the stands of a SEC game. I was unaware that one had to be family or friends of someone to cheer for them and to be a fan. 

9 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He doesn't belong anywhere. He's been here and out of trouble for 3 months. He needs to work his way as a backup and prove he isn't a piece of trash anymore before he "belongs" somewhere permanently. 

Kelly is a piece of trash, is he? Are we talking about Kelly peacefully sitting on someone's couch and then leaving? Or about the time he ran onto the field to check on his little brother whose head was being kicked by a mob of opposing players? Or how about the infamous AK-47 incident in which only a single bar bouncer out of a crowd of people heard Kelly say he was going to spray the place with his rifle?

If other players can get a chance at redemption, then surely we can let #6 Piece-of-Trash Kelly have a go.