Indianapolis Colts
NannyMcafee

Why Jacoby Brissett can be the next Colts franchise QB.

To me he just carries himself like a starter. He has a presence about him. Half the battle is getting the team behind him. He was already a leader before this situation so I think the team is in good hands. The national media sure does love him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If the Colts pick up a veteran QB as a backup, Brissett probably has five weeks to show that he really can be the starting QB or he'll get the hook during the bye week. If they can't sign a decent vet, and things go pear-shaped, they might as well just ride this season into the ground with Brissett or Kelly, then look an interim solution in FA or the draft. 

4 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

If the Colts pick up a veteran QB as a backup, Brissett probably has five weeks to show that he really can be the starting QB or he'll get the hook during the bye week. If they can't sign a decent vet, and things go pear-shaped, they might as well just ride this season into the ground with Brissett or Kelly, then look an interim solution in FA or the draft. 

What decent veteran QBs are out there?  

I have faith in JB, but if he should be injured, I’d rather just go with Swag the rest of the year.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

What decent veteran QBs are out there?  

None that have a higher potential currently than Kelly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

lol.....Brissett aint getting no hook in favor of inferior qbs like Brock Osweiller or Matt Cassell after 5 weeks time.

The Colts organization is alot more behind Brissett than many of you wish to aknowledge.  Notice there is very little talk from the Colts since last weekend?  It's all business with them.  Brissett is the qb in 2019, and there is plenty of confidence in him from top to bottom.

Ballard didn't just say Jacoby was a starting caliber QB.
 He said he was a top twenty QB.
  Of course the Clowns here will tear both of them up for every thing they can.
  I know i watched the last guy throw high and behind his pass catchers for 3 years.
It won't be THAT bad.

• Like 1

JB has the locker room, and he's earned the start. He needs to perform to keep both.

All the spinning and narrative from the Reich and Ballard mean very little to me. Could they be right, sure. Could they be wrong, sure. We'll start to see next week.

It'll be an intriguing year that's for sure. I'm not blind sunshine pumping, but I am excited as hell to watch us start the season.

• Like 3

Jacoby deserves a full season I think.  There is plenty of time to evaluate and decide what to do going forward.  Hes not going to come out of the gate and blow the league away.  Hes gonna make mistakes and grow.  We get to see how this coaching staff and team competes without a super star QB.  And while that kinda sucks, because we had one, it will prove to be a valuable experience.  Ballard said from day one that it's not about one guy.  Time to find out how far we can go without that guy.  I'm still terribly disappointed Luck hung it up, but I'm also excited to ses jacoby and the rest of this young team take the field.  Its here guys and gals.  This is the real beginning of the ballard/reich era of colts football.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It would be nice if JB became a franchise QB, but I don't think it's necessary. If he is solid and has a good team around him we can win a lot of games. Flacco won a SB and he's no franchise QB. Didn't Kap take SF to a SB and again he's no franchise guy. I'm taking a wait and see on JB. I think he has the skills to be competent and if Ballard has or is building a team around him that may be all he needs to be. Let's let him play a few games before we throw him overboard.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

lol.....Brissett aint getting no hook in favor of inferior qbs like Brock Osweiller or Matt Cassell after 5 weeks time.

It could go either way.   It depends what our record is and how Brissett is playing.  If the Colts are 2-3 and Brissett has thrown 5 TD's and 10 INT's, I would guess they would put Brock or Cassell in to start game 6.  

I don't think that is going to happen.  Brissett has a great O-line and a plethora of weapons on offense.   He'll do good enough to keep the starting job.  

There is absolutely nobody QB wise available two weeks before the season starts,  that can come in and be the starting QB. I’m not high on Brissett, but he’s the Colts best option and I’m excited for a Luckless season to begin. Hope JB does well. Go Colts!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Myles said:

It could go either way.   It depends what our record is and how Brissett is playing.  If the Colts are 2-3 and Brissett has thrown 5 TD's and 10 INT's, I would guess they would put Brock or Cassell in to start game 6.  

I don't think that is going to happen.  Brissett has a great O-line and a plethora of weapons on offense.   He'll do good enough to keep the starting job.  

JB has better supporting cast, so I think his TD to INT will remain 2-1.  I only fear he tries to be Luck and do to much. Establishing a solid run game is critical for the Colts this season. The defense isn’t top yet. Should be an interesting season. 

• Like 3

Franchise QBs aren’t described as top 20.  He’s a lower end QB even in the Colts’ brass eyes.  Think he will win some games this year but not someone to take us to the promised land.  Hope I’m wrong!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now that Luck is gone, no position on the team is impervious to

being demoted or cut. If this solid Colts team goes 4-4 by midway 

point then Jacoby probably isn't the guy for the starter job. 

If our starter isn't on the team now then by next year Ballard 

will have found our guy that perfectly fits Reich's offense.

I personally believe Kelly fits this system a bit better than Jacoby

with his quick release and accuracy but Jacoby wins with his 

downfield targeting.

I'm just going to TRY to sit patiently and watch Ballard pull the 

strings and watch the magic unfold. 

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

downfield targeting.

4-4 or 8-8, no way they go away from Brissett, short or long term. It would have to be something like 1-5 like last year with Brissett stinking it up for a change to happen, IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

4-4 or 8-8, no way they go away from Brissett, short or long term. It would have to be something like 1-5 like last year with Brissett stinking it up for a change to happen, IMO.

A move like that leads to an be thing losing the locker room

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

JB has better supporting cast, so I think his TD to INT will remain 2-1.  I only fear he tries to be Luck and do to much. Establishing a solid run game is critical for the Colts this season. The defense isn’t top yet. Should be an interesting season. 

I think the defense was number 11 last year. That is pretty close. Plus we added Houston. We were number one the second half of the season.

3 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

The Colts organization is alot more behind Brissett than many of you wish to aknowledge.  Notice there is very little talk from the Colts since last weekend?  It's all business with them.  Brissett is the qb in 2019, and there is plenty of confidence in him from top to bottom.

if brissett was so good why did new England trade him so low a pick ?

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We were number one the second half of the season.

Until the KC game! :Nuke:

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

downfield targeting.

kelly is next starter for the colts .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fire cartier said:

if brissett was so good why did new England trade him so low a pick ?

They traded him Phillip Dorsett which filled a position of need and they had their backup Jimmy G

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

They traded him Phillip Dorsett which filled a position of need and they had their backup Jimmy G

jimmy g  way better trade value then brissett

Nothing in Jacoby's past indicates he's more than a fill-in NFL starter.  Kelly is not a top prospect, but every team's fan base rallies around a young QB when the veteran is struggling.  Unless and until the Colts get a real top prospect -- a Mayfield, Darnold, Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes -- they will be on the outside looking in.

Ballard could have had Darnold simply by staying put!  The idea that an NFL GM would trade down and draft a guard instead of a top QB prospect when his injured All-Pro QB wasn't a sure bet to return healthy is mind-boggling.  Enjoy watching Nelson, like the hapless Brown's fans watched Joe Thomas for ten years.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Nothing in Jacoby's past indicates he's more than a fill-in NFL starter.

Jacoby doesn't have enough of a past for anyone to accurately make that assessment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Nothing in Jacoby's past indicates he's more than a fill-in NFL starter.  Kelly is not a top prospect, but every team's fan base rallies around a young QB when the veteran is struggling.  Unless and until the Colts get a real top prospect -- a Mayfield, Darnold, Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes -- they will be on the outside looking in.

Ballard could have had Darnold simply by staying put!  The idea that an NFL GM would trade down and draft a guard instead of a top QB prospect when his injured All-Pro QB wasn't a sure bet to return healthy is mind-boggling.  Enjoy watching Nelson, like the hapless Brown's fans watched Joe Thomas for ten years.

O.o:lol: comparing the Colts with the Browns. Obviously you are a troll

or a VERY casual Colts fan.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Kelly is not a top prospect, but every team's fan base rallies around a young QB when the veteran is struggling.  Unless and until the Colts get a real top prospect -- a Mayfield, Darnold, Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes -- they will be on the outside looking in.

Kelly is every bit as good as Darnold and Trubisky and in the conversation with Mayfield.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bhougland said:

Kelly is every bit as good as Darnold and Trubisky and in the conversation with Mayfield.

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bhougland said:

And he scored higher in a testing simulation than Mahomes. 

Kelly could be the real deal with more seasoning.

3 minutes ago, bhougland said:

Don't take my word for it, here is what Bill Polian said about Kelly comming out of college:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2017/02/former_bills_gm_bill_polian_says_chad_kelly_is_most_talented_qb_in_2017_nfl_draf.html

Polian been wrong as much as he’s been right in regards to players. 

Tony Ugoh, A. Gonzalez, Rob Morris and D. Brown to name a few off the top of my head.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s okay to be a fan of C. Kelly (I am) but he doesn’t have much of a resume at the moment. I think we need to be patient in regards to Kelly and wait until next year. Way premature at the moment.:thmup:

• Like 1

All we need Jacoby to do is listen to Reich and be a system QB like........Brady ( I had to get my Brady dog in ) and we will be alright. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

BB didn’t think so

James Richard Garoppolo (born November 2, 1991) is an American football quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Eastern Illinois and was drafted in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots, with whom he won two Super Bowls as the backup to Tom Brady.

As a senior in 2013, Garoppolo broke Tony Romo's school records for career passing touchdowns, career passing yards, and passing touchdowns in a season.[1][2] That season, he also won the Walter Payton Awardas the best offensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).[3]

Garoppolo saw light duty behind Brady in his seasons in New England. In October 2017, Garoppolo was traded by the Patriots to the 49ers. He won his first five starts with his new team as quarterback, which, including his two victorious starts for New England, earned him a 7–0 record as a starter, a feat last accomplished by Ben Roethlisberger in 2004. Garoppolo then signed a $137.5 million deal with the 49ers, at the time the largest contract in NFL history on an annual basis. However, his second season with San Francisco was prematurely ended after he tore his ACL in Week 3 of the 2018 season.  he way better then brissett in college.

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Polian been wrong as much as he’s been right in regards to players. 

Tony Ugoh, A. Gonzalez, Rob Morris and D. Brown to name a few off the top of my head.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s okay to be a fan of C. Kelly (I am) but he doesn’t have much of a resume at the moment. I think we need to be patient in regards to Kelly and wait until next year. Way premature at the moment.:thmup:

I get it, but it is exciting to have a top tier prospect for relatively little value.  We didn't have to give up a draft pick, so there really isn't a downside to giving him a shot.  Many casual fans, and even some on this site, don't know how gifted he really is.  Now, can he get out of his own way....yet to be seen.   

I just don't want the Colts to bring in a veteran retread without giving Chad a honest shot.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ballard didn't just say Jacoby was a starting caliber QB.
 He said he was a top twenty QB.
  Of course the Clowns here will tear both of them up for every thing they can.
  I know i watched the last guy throw high and behind his pass catchers for 3 years.
It won't be THAT bad.

Translation of "Top 20" (Ballardese to English):  There are 12 starters out there who suck worse than our guy. 

21 minutes ago, bhougland said:

Don't take my word for it, here is what Bill Polian said about Kelly comming out of college:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2017/02/former_bills_gm_bill_polian_says_chad_kelly_is_most_talented_qb_in_2017_nfl_draf.html

I trust Polian but this may be lip service as I am sure he is friendly with the Kelly family. 

44 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

That would have been one of the worst decisions a GM had ever made.   

Ballard made an incredible deal to not only get Nelson, but also Braden Smith to sure up the offensive line.   Darnold would be destroyed.   Also it netted the Jets 2019 2nd round pick which was used on Rock Ya Sin.    Anyone against that is not knowledgeable in football.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I get it, but it is exciting to have a top tier prospect for relatively little value.  We didn't have to give up a draft pick, so there really isn't a downside to giving him a shot.  Many casual fans, and even some on this site, don't know how gifted he really is.  Now, can he get out of his own way....yet to be seen.   

I just don't want the Colts to bring in a veteran retread without giving Chad a honest shot.

I think it is the first 2 games that they are afraid of.   If Brissett goes down in the 1st half of game 1, Walker would not give us a chance to win.   

• Like 1