Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 53 Man Cut Transactions Thread

LucasOilStadium

32 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Ok

Smith stays at RT and Haeg plays LT

I’m not about to say Haeg is a good tackle, but from my view he’s played his best, filling in at LT for AC.  Plus, he played LT for NDSU. Smith played Guard (2nd best in college, only to Nelson) for Auburn.  Leave him at RT and let him grow, instead of shifting him around.  I still don’t see Clark as ACs backup....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I’m not about to say Haeg is a good tackle, but from my view he’s played his best, filling in at LT for AC.  Plus, he played LT for NDSU. Smith played Guard (2nd best in college, only to Nelson) for Auburn.  Leave him at RT and let him grow, instead of shifting him around.  I still don’t see Clark as ACs backup....

It was more of a statement about What Venturi said than anything else

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Hah yeah, what can we do though. The whole league is struggling to find solid OL. I figure that has to do with how good these DL/LBers are getting, but yeah.

Waiver wire pickup

I'm curious and I hope you good people can help me understand better about Kelly.

Do we have to start with him on the 53 man and then he goes on the suspended list, which creates a spot for two weeks?

Or can we cut/waive him and he simply serves out his suspension at home and then we re-sign him?

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

I'm curious and I hope you good people can help me understand better about Kelly.

Do we have to start with him on the 53 man and then he goes on the suspended list, which creates a spot for two weeks?

Or can we cut/waive him and he simply serves out his suspension at home and then we re-sign him?

He has to be with the team so he will make the 53 and then after the 4 pm Deadline he will be moved to the Reserve list for the suspension 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

It's my understanding he has to be on an active roster in order to serve his suspension.

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He has to be with the team so he will make the 53 and then after the 4 pm Deadline he will be moved to the Reserve list for the suspension 

Thank you!

So between that suspension, Sheard's injury and the Wilkens/Williams injuries they have to play some serious roster jenga in the next two days.....

Tough spot to be in even before acknowledging the depth of the roster in a few places that will make cuts difficult!

Thank you!

So between that suspension, Sheard's injury and the Wilkens/Williams injuries they have to play some serious roster jenga in the next two days.....

Tough spot to be in even before acknowledging the depth of the roster in a few places that will make cuts difficult!

As @Chloe6124 said he won’t count against the 53 once his suspension starts that solves part of the problem

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

As @Chloe6124 said he won’t count against the 53 once his suspension starts that solves part of the problem

I understand that, however, that means they have to have somebody prepared to wait for that deadline to pass to sign them - while other teams may want the same guy. Just saying those are tough waters to row through! :)

10 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I understand that, however, that means they have to have somebody prepared to wait for that deadline to pass to sign them - while other teams may want the same guy. Just saying those are tough waters to row through! :)

No. They will have to cut someone when he comes back. That could be the backup QB that comes in those 2 games or someone else. He doesn’t have to make the 53. He goes on the suspension list when the roster is cut down to 53.

• Thanks 1

Vested Veterans do not need to pass through waivers

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No. They will have to cut someone when he comes back. That could be the backup QB that comes in those 2 games or someone else. He doesn’t have to make the 53. He goes on the suspension list when the roster is cut down to 53.

That cis kinda why I said in a different thread the Colts will have 54 guys at Cuts 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

McCown was not brought in until after the Kessler injury

I watched the 1st 2 Eagles games and saw NS, CK, and CT but not JM

I believe the plan was to play CK or CT as the #2 after the Sudfeld injury

The point is, Sudfeld has been the planned #2 since the beginning of the preseason. Had Sudfeld not went down, JM would not have been brought in. It took 2 back ups going down for that to happen. CK was not competing with Sudfeld for the #2 position before Sudfeld went down. He was a distant 3rd at most competing with Thorson. Thorson was actually ahead of CK all spring.

Here's the preseason week 1 depth chart.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/8/6/20757449/eagles-depth-chart-revealed-philadelphia-first-preseason-game-2019-roster-news-positions-analysis

Here's a snippet from the depth chart comments

THOUGHTS

• Kessler is ahead of Thorson as the No. 3 quarterback. Thorson was taking all the third string reps in the spring but the rookie’s struggles have caused the coaching staff to split third team reps between Thorson and Kessler. As I’ve previously said, I don’t really see Thorson playing at all this year. Even if the team keeps Thorson on the roster, I see the Eagles re-signing Kessler to be Sudfeld’s backup if something happened to Wentz.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The point is, Sudfeld has been the planned #2 since the beginning of the preseason. Had Sudfeld not went down, JM would not have been brought in. It took 2 back ups going down for that to happen. CK was not competing with Sudfeld for the #2 position before Sudfeld went down. He was a distant 3rd at most competing with Thorson. Thorson was actually ahead of CK all spring.

Here's the preseason week 1 depth chart.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/8/6/20757449/eagles-depth-chart-revealed-philadelphia-first-preseason-game-2019-roster-news-positions-analysis

Here's a snippet from the depth chart comments

Thank you for providing evidence for my point

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Thank you for providing evidence for my point

Simple question.... would CK have been brought in if Sudfeld never went down?

They basically say he'd be "re-signed" if something happened to Wenzt to back up Sudfeld.

Also, the original comment and reply was

You - What is worrisome is that the Eagles are QB needy

they like Sudfield.

Me - Kessler was behind him and McCown IIRC and maybe another guy.

You're twisting and turning, so let's go back to the original exchange above.... In simple terms, #1 they do like Sudfeld as Wentz's back up (always have this year), and #2 CK was behind every QB not named Thorson, and he was actually behind even Thorson leading up to preseason. So not really QB needy once they brought back CM. CK became very expendable.

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Simple question.... would CK have been brought in if Sudfeld never went down?

They basically say he'd be "re-signed" if something happened to Wenzt to back up Sudfeld.

Also, the original comment and reply was

You're twisting and turning, so let's go back to the original exchange above.... In simple terms, #1 they do like Sudfeld as Wentz's back up (always have this year), and #2 CK was behind every QB not named Thorson, and he was actually behind even Thorson leading up to preseason. So not really QB needy once they brought back CM. CK became very expendable.

It is Josh McCown they signed

Maybe this is not the definition on  East Street but in TigerTown any team that needs to bring a 40 year old QB out of retirement because of multiple QB injuries is QB needy

Now since this is a Colts Cut thread in a Colts take another further discussion of the Eagles and/or 30 other teams to the NFL general thread

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

With cutting of Webb and trading of Webb looks like he might stay

(You talking about LeRaven?)

Yes.  He's got some kind of Voo Doo hex on them I guess because he was getting his tail whipped the whole preseason. Waiting on him to take it to the next level and it's not coming.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is Josh McCown they signed

Maybe this is not the definition on  East Street but in TigerTown any team that needs to bring a 40 year old QB out of retirement because of multiple QB injuries is QB needy

Now since this is a Colts Cut thread in a Colts take another further discussion of the Eagles and/or 30 other teams to the NFL general thread

East Street is about 8 blocks east of Lucas Oil Stadium. Less than mile. :-)

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Yes Coach D is in Miami

That makes sense for the trade. Old coach says look what I did for him last year and what the colts scheme/coaches have changed him to this year. Trade for him and I can gain that positive back for you. We come out ahead of we’ve gained a 4-5th rd pick in the exchange. 

2 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Hentges will make it to the PS...no worries.

No worries? I don’t think so. If he hits the market, he will most definitely have several suitors. What part of his game didn’t have success this preseason? He was the star pretty much of the preseason rookies. I’m not sure anyone really flashed and was as steady the entire preseason as was Hentges, maybe Speed equaled his steady production. I can see a cut/trade of Travis or even hardball tactics by cutting a fringe Ol guy maybe or RB even, keep all 5 TE’s (extreme) and forcing a trade from some TE starved team after the season starts. Hentges though is here on the 53, trust that. 

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

That makes sense for the trade. Old coach says look what I did for him last year and what the colts scheme/coaches have changed him to this year. Trade for him and I can gain that positive back for you. We come out ahead of we’ve gained a 4-5th rd pick in the exchange. 

No worries? I don’t think so. If he hits the market, he will most definitely have several suitors. What part of his game didn’t have success this preseason? He was the star pretty much of the preseason rookies. I’m not sure anyone really flashed and was as steady the entire preseason as was Hentges, maybe Speed equaled his steady production. I can see a cut/trade of Travis or even hardball tactics by cutting a fringe Ol guy maybe or RB even, keep all 5 TE’s (extreme) and forcing a trade from some TE starved team after the season starts. Hentges though is here on the 53, trust that. 

and since HH is not a vested veteran he wouldn’t really get to choose 

As we head into the 4pm deadline today I wonder if there will still be a trade made today? 

Player for draft pick or even player for player swap?

Candidates in my mind:

Carroll Phillips - has value as an edge rusher in both a 4-3 and a 3-4

Ross Travis - has value as a pass catcher in a league that covets mismatch TE's

Krishawn Hogan - has value as a big bodied, move the chains, red zone type receiver

Wish list:

Oline

Defensive tackle

Either a RB/WR that can return both punts and kickoffs 

6 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I like our defensive tackles. Hunt, Autry, Stewert, Ward, and Lewis.

I keep beating the drum for another DT is so they put Lewis back at his natural DE position, especially in light of Sheards knee injury.

I do like what we have as well, would love another 300 pounder to throw in for short yardage and goal line defense....

• Like 1