Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Realistic expectations for the 2019 season

CR91

I’m pretty confident that the chargers have a better football team than us, yet for some reason I still see us beating them week 1 on the road. Injuries, lack of a truly threatening home field, plus Los Angeles has recently been poor in week 1s (1-5 in their last 6 opening week games, including 0-2 with Anthony Lynn).

3 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I’m pretty confident that the chargers have a better football team than us, yet for some reason I still see us beating them week 1 on the road. Injuries, lack of a truly threatening home field, plus Los Angeles has recently been poor in week 1s (1-5 in their last 6 opening week games, including 0-2 with Anthony Lynn).

Either the colts or chargers are going to end the opening  day losing tradition. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

@ Los Angeles L

@ Tennessee L

vs Atlanta L 

vs Oakland W 

@ Kansas City L 

BYE WEEK

vs Houston W 

vs Denver W  

@ Pittsburgh L 

vs Miami W 

vs Jacksonville L

@ Houston L

vs Tennessee W 

@ Tampa Bay L 

@ New Orleans L 

vs Carolina W 

@ Jacksonville L

It's gong to be interesting.

I have:

At Chargers L

At Titans W

Falcons L

Raiders W

At KC L

Texans W

Broncos W

At Steelers L

Dolphins W

Jags L

At Texans L

Titans W

At Bucs W

At Saints L

Panthers W

At Jags L - This will put us 8-8 and cost us the division :facepalm:. I hope I am wrong. We will keep it interesting though until the final week IMO. I still have us 3-3 in the division but with Luck I had 5-1. I have a feeling the Jags sweep us. We will sweep the Titans, split with the Texans.

16 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

good prediction. I like how you didnt blindly just give us 4 or 5 wins from our division like some are. I remember when schedules were announced and everyone was saying how we would have a down year cause of the tough schedule that was with Luck. Now that the Brissett hype train is going people are claiming he will win 10 or 11 games. it just isnt making sense to me. 

Just trying to be realistic. I posted poll a few months ago and people weren't near as optimistic as some are now lol. It's going to be interesting and could go several ways IMO. I think we'll have a rough start. How we perform the 5 games after the bye might determine our QB going forward. I hope JB balls out, but honestly I just want wins whoever is under center.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have:

At Chargers L

At Titans W

Falcons L

Raiders W

At KC L

Texans W

Broncos W

At Steelers L

Dolphins W

Jags L

At Texans L

Titans W

At Bucs W

At Saints L

Panthers W

At Jags L - This will put us 8-8 and cost us the division :facepalm:. I hope I am wrong. We will keep it interesting though until the final week IMO. I still have us 3-3 in the division but with Luck I had 5-1. I have a feeling the Jags sweep us. We will sweep the Titans, split with the Texans.

I agree on getting swept by the Jags. I think we split with TN. I'm on the fence with Houston between getting swept and split. It really stinks going to TN after going to LAC. I just hope we keep it respectable in LA.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just trying to be realistic. I posted poll a few months ago and people weren't near as optimistic as some are now lol. It's going to be interesting and could go several ways IMO. I think we'll have a rough start. How we perform the 5 games after the bye might determine our QB going forward. I hope JB balls out, but honestly I just want wins whoever is under center.

its definitely better to keep expectations low with our current situation. that's what I'm doing so if we are good I can just be pleasantly surprised.

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It's weird.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Now let me start by saying I have complete faith in Jacoby. He took a dismal roster with no oline, no defense, and spotty skill players at best and still won us 4 games. That is two games better then the combination of Collins, Painter, and Orlovsky. However, what I think is best for the colts atleast out of the gates is not put the team squarely on Jacoby. We have a potentially top 10 run game and defense that we'd be better off leaning on then have Jacoby lead us. Now if Jacoby can manage a 3500 yard 20 td campaign, id say thats good enough to atleast get us to the playoffs. Im expecting big things from Mack. 1200 yards and 10 tds is still what I think Mack can do this year. I also think our defense has to be what represents our team this year and we have key players to do it. We need them to be top 5 this year. Thats huge expectations, but thats what we need to be successful. 10-6 is currently what im predicting. I still think we are the best team in this division. We might not be a contender this year, but we can see where we are as a team with Jacoby and go from there to see what is best for the colts.

Brissett  4,200 yards passing 30 tds 10 ints completing 64 percent  of passes rushing for 5 tds. 4 fumbles. Colts finish  11-5

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caleb3502 said:

@ Los Angeles W 

@ Tennessee W 

vs Atlanta L 

vs Oakland W 

@ Kansas City L 

BYE WEEK

vs Houston L 

vs Denver W  

@ Pittsburgh L 

vs Miami W 

vs Jacksonville W 

@ Houston W 

vs Tennessee W 

@ Tampa Bay W 

@ New Orleans L 

vs Carolina L 

@ Jacksonville W  

It's quite possible we lose @ LAC and other games against division opponents, but I don't think this type of result is out of the question.  I still think the Colts have the most complete team in the division on both sides of the ball.  Jacoby is not playing with the same team as he was in 2017.  In fact, only 25 of those players from 2017 (not including Jacoby) are still on the team, but that also includes players that were on IR (Kelly, Hooker, Desir, Hogan) and the PS (Walker, Alie-Cox.  Really only about 10 returning starters from 2017 if you don't count special teams.  Brissett has had time to learn under both Brady and Luck and has a whole season and two training camps in Reich's offense.  I think 10 wins is a realistic goal.  If it doesn't happen, we'll have to figure out what next.  But for now, let's have faith in Jacoby.  He can be a really good QB if he sharpens his accuracy and decision making.  He certainly has the arm to be a good QB.  

JB hasn't beat titans or the jags yet or Texans with Watson.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

its definitely better to keep expectations low with our current situation. that's what I'm doing so if we are good I can just be pleasantly surprised.

that's where i'm at. not going to get pumped up too much. i am excited though just to see them play. it will be an interesting season regardless of what happens.

• Like 1

Not getting the love for Kelly. Yes he looked good again tonight, but it was still against a lot of players who'll be sacking groceries on Monday. Why don't we wait until he actually plays against a first team defense before we measure him for his gold jacket? I hope JB doesn't read this site. Talk about dismissing a guy as a nothing burger. Half the people on this site feel anyone from the QB at Carmel HS to whoever is a senior in college playing in any division is better. If I was him and I was reading this tripe I'd go out, win the division,  maybe a playoff game or two, then go find a team whose fan appreciate me.

4 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

JB hasn't beat titans or the jags yet or Texans with Watson.

He'll do that soon enough. Might have to up completion percentage  to around 70 percent  instead of 64. Love this receiver  group. Manning would throw 60 tds with them

1 minute ago, FRW said:

Not getting the love for Kelly. Yes he looked good again tonight, but it was still against a lot of players who'll be sacking groceries on Monday. Why don't we wait until he actually plays against a first team defense before we measure him for his gold jacket? I hope JB doesn't read this site. Talk about dismissing a guy as a nothing burger. Half the people on this site feel anyone from the QB at Carmel HS to whoever is a senior in college playing in any division is better. If I was him and I was reading this tripe I'd go out, win the division,  maybe a playoff game or two, then go find a team whose fan appreciate me.

Brissett  will have a pro bowl year with these wrs 

18 minutes ago, FRW said:

That's the best idea yet...have Brissett go play for some other team who will appreciate him.

8 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm thinking anywhere from 6-9 wins.

One thing I'm factoring in to the lower expectations, and I said this before Luck retired, even just one injury to a key offensive player (AC, Nelson, Hilton, Mack, etc.) could really hinder this offense. One of those OL/Mack goes down? The run game's very likely going to suffer. Hilton (or multiple WR's) goes down? That's rough for the passing game.

This might be the season we can afford TY missing games, we have depth here now in receivers. My biggest concern is AC or Nelson. The oline so far in preseason has shown we don’t have good depth anywhere across the oline. My next concern is up the middle of the line for defense. Can we consistently stop a runner? Idk. If things go right, I can see 10-6

Call me crazy but 10-6. Look at what Brissett did in 2017. Now he has a much better O-Line, defense, and coaching staff. His arm strength and mobility are better than Luck's. We don't need him to light up the world. If the offense and defense take the predicted leap, he'll be fine. Best case scenario- pulls a Tom Brady after Bledsoe went down. There's no one better in the league at coaching backups than Reich.

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have:

At Chargers L

At Titans W

Falcons L

Raiders W

At KC L

Texans W

Broncos W

At Steelers L

Dolphins W

Jags L

At Texans L

Titans W

At Bucs W

At Saints L

Panthers W

see us not win the division , jags get a good qb , houston has a good qb  tn  thats a toss up.

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think we win 8 realistically, and 10 games if I'm being optimistic. 

No way we are getting #1 pick next year (nor will Colts trade for it) it's just not going to happen. 

I’m curious about something: 

why do people call pessimism “being realistic” and optimism simply “being unrealistic”? I know you didn’t word it that way, but there’s a consensus from some that optimism is unreasonable.

I agree with you, regarding the draft but wouldn’t rule out trading up, if needed.

I ask myself this; what does the Colts organization think? Have they told themselves that they won’t make the playoffs? Are they just trying to sell tickets or do they honestly believe they can play with anybody?

We will miss the play of Luck, to be sure but when you consider the TEAM additions, I don’t think 10-6 or better is unreasonable. But I’m just being “realistic”.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

With Luck, I was figuring on 10-6 to 12-4.  I figure there’s a 2 game depreciation going from Luck to Brissett, so I would now predict 8-8 to 10-6 ... with an outside chance of 11-5 if Brissett really steps up.

I thought  similar  initially,  but if Luck hadn't  retired  we probably  would  have gone 14-2. The crazy part is Cain probably  will look even better  next year like Hooker  does now as it takes a while to get your full speed  back from acl. Campbell  is probably  best slot wr since Brandon Stokely. Not sure if I ever saw a big wr move like that before. 

59 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

why do people call pessimism “being realistic” and optimism simply “being unrealistic”? I know you didn’t word it that way, but there’s a consensus from some that optimism is unreasonable.

I agree with you, regarding the draft but wouldn’t rule out trading up, if needed.

I ask myself this; what does the Colts organization think? Have they told themselves that they won’t make the playoffs? Are they just trying to sell tickets or do they honestly believe they can play with anybody?

We will miss the play of Luck, to be sure but when you consider the TEAM additions, I don’t think 10-6 or better is unreasonable. But I’m just being “realistic”.

Well we will know week one. If Brissett  throws for 100 yards and 0tds with these wrs and the chargers win 46 to 0. Then the titans stomp us the following week. Kelly comes in and we lose be 5 tds again then we know we're tanking 

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

I thought  similar  initially,  but if Luck hadn't  retired  we probably  would  have gone 14-2. The crazy part is Cain probably  will look even better  next year like Hooker  does now as it takes a while to get your full speed  back from acl. Campbell  is probably  best slot wr since Brandon Stokely. Not sure if I ever saw a big wr move like that before. 

I liked Stokely, quite a lot. My wife still wears his jersey!  But Campbell and Cain are INFINITELY more talented, hands down!  

I want to see this defense play. I'm not sure we blitzed even one time in the preseason. Let's start mixing coverages and sending blitz packages and see what this defense does. Truth is even if we go 5-11 but have a top 5 defense Eberflus won't be here next year and that could be a bigger problem than who the qb is. I've said it a few times already these past 3 weeks, this defense is going to exceptional. When Luck first retired last Saturday I picked 5-11 for this season, but I am going to up that to 9 or 10 wins. And remember people, defense wins championships. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 4:54 PM, coltsfeva said:

giphy.gif

Just because my win/loss column doesn't match yours it doesn't mean I'm being pessimistic. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

giphy.gif

Just because my win/loss column doesn't match yours it doesn't mean I'm being pessimistic. 

You’re right, optimism and pessimism are subjective. And we both agree that 10-6 is a possibility. 

I do think (IMHO), that 8-8 is a little pessimistic considering:

Frank Reich’s coaching record with backups and his experience working with QBs.

A creative O Coodinator in Nick Sirianni

A competent D Coodinator and an underrated defense (possibly top 10 or better), that should be able to get to the QB, stop the run and make plays in the secondary).

A top 5 Oline that should be above average in both pass pro and in the run game. (I think most of us agree, Ballard will be looking for depth, which may be the biggest weakness on this team)

An upgraded Receiving corps and a dynamic playmaker in Parris Campbell.

An efficient run game.

Top 10-5 Special Teams units

I can see where you might consider 8-8 realistic, if you base your opinion on Brissett’s play of 2017. But for the reasons I’ve listed, I would be shocked if this turned out to be a .500 team.  I guess we’ll find out in the next few months, exactly what we do have at QB and for this team, as a whole.

10 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

You’re right, optimism and pessimism are subjective. And we both agree that 10-6 is a possibility. 

I do think (IMHO), that 8-8 is a little pessimistic considering:

Frank Reich’s coaching record with backups and his experience working with QBs.

A creative O Coodinator in Nick Sirianni

A competent D Coodinator and an underrated defense (possibly top 10 or better), that should be able to get to the QB, stop the run and make plays in the secondary).

A top 5 Oline that should be above average in both pass pro and in the run game. (I think most of us agree, Ballard will be looking for depth, which may be the biggest weakness on this team)

An upgraded Receiving corps and a dynamic playmaker in Parris Campbell.

An efficient run game.

Top 10-5 Special Teams units

I can see where you might consider 8-8 realistic, if you base your opinion on Brissett’s play of 2017. But for the reasons I’ve listed, I would be shocked if this turned out to be a .500 team.  I guess we’ll find out in the next few months, exactly what we do have at QB and for this team, as a whole.

With a tough schedule and an unproven starting QB, I think 8 or 9 wins is more optimistic than pessimistic.