Indianapolis Colts
CR91

Realistic expectations for the 2019 season

Now let me start by saying I have complete faith in Jacoby. He took a dismal roster with no oline, no defense, and spotty skill players at best and still won us 4 games. That is two games better then the combination of Collins, Painter, and Orlovsky. However, what I think is best for the colts atleast out of the gates is not put the team squarely on Jacoby. We have a potentially top 10 run game and defense that we'd be better off leaning on then have Jacoby lead us. Now if Jacoby can manage a 3500 yard 20 td campaign, id say thats good enough to atleast get us to the playoffs. Im expecting big things from Mack. 1200 yards and 10 tds is still what I think Mack can do this year. I also think our defense has to be what represents our team this year and we have key players to do it. We need them to be top 5 this year. Thats huge expectations, but thats what we need to be successful. 10-6 is currently what im predicting. I still think we are the best team in this division. We might not be a contender this year, but we can see where we are as a team with Jacoby and go from there to see what is best for the colts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can realistically see 10-6 or 11-5.

We still don't know what we've got. Preseason hasn't shown a lot.

I have been saying 8-10 wins with JB and I’m sticking with it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hark said:

Yeah, after checking the schedule, from 8-8 to 6-10...probably 7-9...assuming Brissett plays all games.

• Like 2

I'm thinking anywhere from 6-9 wins.

One thing I'm factoring in to the lower expectations, and I said this before Luck retired, even just one injury to a key offensive player (AC, Nelson, Hilton, Mack, etc.) could really hinder this offense. One of those OL/Mack goes down? The run game's very likely going to suffer. Hilton (or multiple WR's) goes down? That's rough for the passing game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

I can realistically see 10-6 or 11-5.

We still don't know what we've got. Preseason hasn't shown a lot.

I agree. That was my initial thought as well. 10-6 or 11-5 is realistic providing the running committee shows up.

8 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Yeah, after checking the schedule, from 8-8 to 6-10...probably 7-9...assuming Brissett plays all games.

I can try to conjure up 10 wins. Division is 4 wins. We'll beat the chargers. No Gordon, James, and possibly Allen. Beat the bucs and panthers. Beat the Raiders and Broncos. And we'll beat the dolphins. Thats 10 wins

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I can try to conjure up 10 wins. Division is 4 wins. We'll beat the chargers. No Gordon, James, and possibly Allen. Beat the bucs and panthers. Beat the Raiders and Broncos. And we'll beat the dolphins. Thats 10 wins

Lol That doesn’t seem so hard when you think about it. 

• Like 1

I think we thrive under that "everyone is doubting us" role, and because of it, I believe we will surprise a lot of folks. 

With that said, this is a tough division, and I see us competing for the division with our talented roster, with an 8-8 record. The winner of this division may only win 9 or 10 games. 

Then in the 2020 offseason, depending on what QBs will be available to them via the 2020 draft, I could see them extend Brissett another year or 2, hopefully at a very reasonable cost, until the new franchise QB is found. 

Realistic? 8-8 with some tantalizing flashes and a lot of growing pains.  And a neverending debate on this forum between the Kelly lobbyists and those who actually know how football works.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think we thrive under that "everyone is doubting us" role, and because of it, I believe we will surprise a lot of folks. 

With that said, this is a tough division, and I see us competing for the division with our talented roster, with an 8-8 record. The winner of this division may only win 9 or 10 games. 

Then in the 2020 offseason, depending on what QBs will be available to them via the 2020 draft, I could see them extend Brissett another year or 2, hopefully at a very reasonable cost, until the new franchise QB is found. 

Kevin Bowen said yesterday although the colts all support luck it could motivate them.  They might go out there and think heck with you  we are good without you. 

I have no idea what to expect.  I do think the Colts are better than most here have been saying about them this week and I don’t think this 2017 or 2011 again but I also don’t know if the Colts are a playoff team either.  

So I am just going to watch the journey and see what happens and hope for the best!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I have no idea what to expect.  I do think the Colts are better than most here have been saying about them this week and I don’t think this 2017 or 2011 again but I also don’t know if the Colts are a playoff team either.  

So I am just going to watch the journey and see what happens and hope for the best!

So we can put you down for 9-7?

:excited:

1 minute ago, Myles said:

So we can put you down for 9-7?

:excited:

That’s my point I could seen anything between 6-10 and 10-6

I expect I will be thoroughly entertained, regardless.

That is my own expectation. 

I realistically expect there to be no drop off and to deal with the same level of hyperbole and hysteria in game day topics. 

I can still see the team winning the division and maybe 10 games max. Oddly I think the roster is better built this season for playoff football, would be nice for a lesser known RB to take advantage of the line and have a break out year. Like Dion Lewis did with the Pats...

• Like 2

I'm gonna say 6 to 7 games maybe less. JB isnt all that good at getting the ball out quickly and his pocket awareness is pretty bad. our division alone is full of some pretty good defenses. I realistically see him struggling in our division honestly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 to 11 wins. 6 wins would be closer to 2017 Jacoby with a better roster, 11 wins if he goes off this season with the better roster.

Really though im guessing 9-7 or 10-6. 

Vegas has the O/U set at 7.5. I think that's fair given the current situation. I'd go 7 to 9 wins.

Hope Vegas is very wrong.

@ Los Angeles W 

@ Tennessee W 

vs Atlanta L 

vs Oakland W 

@ Kansas City L 

BYE WEEK

vs Houston L 

vs Denver W  

@ Pittsburgh L 

vs Miami W 

vs Jacksonville W 

@ Houston W 

vs Tennessee W 

@ Tampa Bay W 

@ New Orleans L 

vs Carolina L 

@ Jacksonville W  

It's quite possible we lose @ LAC and other games against division opponents, but I don't think this type of result is out of the question.  I still think the Colts have the most complete team in the division on both sides of the ball.  Jacoby is not playing with the same team as he was in 2017.  In fact, only 25 of those players from 2017 (not including Jacoby) are still on the team, but that also includes players that were on IR (Kelly, Hooker, Desir, Hogan) and the PS (Walker, Alie-Cox.  Really only about 10 returning starters from 2017 if you don't count special teams.  Brissett has had time to learn under both Brady and Luck and has a whole season and two training camps in Reich's offense.  I think 10 wins is a realistic goal.  If it doesn't happen, we'll have to figure out what next.  But for now, let's have faith in Jacoby.  He can be a really good QB if he sharpens his accuracy and decision making.  He certainly has the arm to be a good QB.  

10-6 and an AFCS win with Jacoby walking in the offseason. NEXT season is when things get ugly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

10-6 and an AFCS win with Jacoby walking in the offseason. NEXT season is when things get ugly. 

Yeah, will need to lose for Lawrence 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

In Lawrence we trust

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

If we win on opening day I can buy 9-7. I think Ballard will re-sign Brissett if we make the playoffs.

• Like 2

People should quell the Lawrence hopes. I highly doubt we're gonna do bad enough to get the #1 pick in 2021 and I'd be willing to bet whoever does get that #1 pick, no matter who their QB is, will very possibly want Lawrence for themselves and won't trade. If that team does trade they'll get the biggest haul we've ever seen for a #1 pick and I doubt Ballard would be the one to pay that price.

• Like 4

@ Los Angeles L

@ Tennessee L

vs Atlanta L 

vs Oakland W 

@ Kansas City L 

BYE WEEK

vs Houston W 

vs Denver W  

@ Pittsburgh L 

vs Miami W 

vs Jacksonville L

@ Houston L

vs Tennessee W 

@ Tampa Bay L 

@ New Orleans L 

vs Carolina W 

@ Jacksonville L

It's gong to be interesting.

Why are people thinking lose for Lawrence? Guy isn't even draft eligible til 2021, and still may forego (not likely) til 2022. Would take him a year to get acclimated, so you're looking at the 22-23 season. I'd rather take any of Herbert, Tua, or Fromm in the upcoming draft and plug and play. The team is still the great one that Ballard built, we're honestly just a QB away from being there again. We have 2, likely early, 2nd rounds picks next year, and a ton of cap space, even more with Luck leaving. We're still in a good/great spot. 

The biggest game of Brissett's career comes on opening day, who would've thought that? We win that, this team will be fired up and so will the fans.

• Like 4

7-9 wins. I don’t see us making the playoffs. Hope I’m wrong. 

Actually more ore interested in the upcoming season with a new QB. How JB performs will determine a lot in the next 2-3 years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

@ Los Angeles L

@ Tennessee L

vs Atlanta L 

vs Oakland W 

@ Kansas City L 

BYE WEEK

vs Houston W 

vs Denver W  

@ Pittsburgh L 

vs Miami W 

vs Jacksonville L

@ Houston L

vs Tennessee W 

@ Tampa Bay L 

@ New Orleans L 

vs Carolina W 

@ Jacksonville L

It's gong to be interesting.

good prediction. I like how you didnt blindly just give us 4 or 5 wins from our division like some are. I remember when schedules were announced and everyone was saying how we would have a down year cause of the tough schedule that was with Luck. Now that the Brissett hype train is going people are claiming he will win 10 or 11 games. it just isnt making sense to me. 

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

7-9 wins. I don’t see us making the playoffs. Hope I’m wrong. 

Actually more ore interested in the upcoming season with a new QB. How JB performs will determine a lot in the next 2-3 years. 

Yeah I have 8 wins, you are right on IMO. 9 could win the division, who knows?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The biggest game of Brissett's career comes on opening day, who would've thought that? We win that, this team will be fired up and so will the fans.

If we win that game it’s going to be a great year.  I like we have two road games to work stuff out before coming home.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

Why would they let him walk after that. That would be a incredible record with this schedule. Reich would be coach of the year.

3 hours ago, Hark said:

I agree with this

• Like 2

7-9 wins with Jacoby

9-10 wins with Chad Kelly (he won't be responsible for 3 losses)

• Haha 1