Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly hype

NannyMcafee

I haven't been able to watch anything in the preseason, and I noticed a minority of you guys are on the Kelly train. 

So I looked up some highlights and in my search I found this. 

Color me intrigued. If kelly has matured and is over his childish ways, you might have seen a glimpse of Kelly and the Colts franchise QB. The Colts may not ever have to be in QB purgatory. And who doesn't love a comeback story? 

I think Brissett will play most of this year and will only be removed if he cant do anything. Chad Kelly does NOT have this locker room backing him nearly as much as Brissett. I believe Kelly is in probationary period this year. Afterall Ballard just got a gimme year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

It's easy to like Kelly and be impressed with his abilities as well as his work ethic. He's the first guy on the practice field and the last guy off...they have to drag him off the field some days...he is busy throwing to any receiver who wants to stay.

Fingers crossed...the Colts may have lucked out on him...no pun intended.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I haven't been able to watch anything in the preseason, and I noticed a minority of you guys are on the Kelly train. 

Color me intrigued. If kelly has matured and is over his childish ways, you might have seen a glimpse of Kelly and the Colts franchise QB. The Colts may not ever have to be in QB purgatory. And who doesn't love a comeback story? 

I think Brissett will play most of this year and will only be removed if he cant do anything. Chad Kelly does NOT have this locker room backing him nearly as much as Brissett. I believe Kelly is in probationary period this year. Afterall Ballard just got a gimme year. 

I could do without the ranting commentary but Kelly looks good

• Like 1

I don't think anyone doubts his potential. Within a couple years he will could either be a pro-bowl QB, or sitting on his couch/in a jail cell. 

I would be tickled if he is known as one of the leagues best backups for a few years because he was unable to beat out Jacoby who is now a legit franchise QB. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jared Jammer said:

Someone really needs to teach that guy how to say the TH letter combination.

"Alex Smiff ain't a franchise QB eiffer."

But yeah, I'm hyped for Kelly. He's an A+ talent who so far has proven to have an F- brain. Let's hope we can fix that.

He hasn't been able to handle walking the straight and narrow ever. I'm not sure I have faith that he has the discipline to do so. 

Add me to Kelly hype. I said it in one of my post that I was skeptical of Kelly when the Colts first acquired him.  Since then, I have been impressed with what I have seen in his limited plays.  That's why I'm so intrigue because we don't know whether he's going to be a starting caliber QB or a bust.  

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

It sounds like Chad Kelly has a lot of physical tools but at least before had a 10 cent head in part because being the nephew of Jim Kelly and growing up in Buffalo made him think he was hot stuff.  

I'm hoping for his sake that being cut and living with his parents for a while kind of taught him to grow up a bit.  

But you are right, even if Kelly has suddenly and greatly matured he's going to have to serve out his suspension and likely sit for a year behind Brissett.  He needs to prove that he can behave himself, be a pro, and be a leader.  He's got a lot to learn from Brissett on those factors.  

But I would say there is a solid chance he can be a decent franchise QB.  But I don't want to get my hopes up too much.  

• Like 2

Not real high on the hype train, but I'm good with keeping Kelly on the 53 this year, for sure.  Let him ride the pine behind JB as long as JB keeps us winning.  If JB gets hurt (after the first 2 games) I would love to see Kelly work with the 1's.  Until that he's really a bit of an intrigue.  He shows the tools against lesser talent so he deserves first shot after JB.  I think he'd do very well.

• Like 2

Couldn't watch the video so I looked up my own video of all his plays against the Browns.

From what I saw he looks decisive in the pocket and looks to deliver the ball fast.  Has NFL caliber arm strength.  

Negatives though is that he can get really really inaccurate and made bad decisions when under pressure.  And I know all QB's are less accurate and make worse decisions under pressure, but with Kelly it especially stands out.  He looked really bad on screen passes and I think a huge part of that is that 

He also seems to lack some pocket feel.  Luck almost seemed to have eyes on the back of his head sometimes, always seemed to know when to step up in the pocket to avoid the edge rusher.  Kelly didn't appear to have that.  Took a sack on one rush in which if he had made a decision to run outside the pocket or step up into the pocket about a half second earlier he could have extended the play.  

The other thing is that he likely would need to learn to read NFL defenses who are not going to be as vanilla as they are in the pre-season.  I also don't think I saw him ever really go through his progressions.  He can take the snap and deliver a great ball to his primary receiver with a clean pocket.  

Oddly enough for all the Johnny Manziel comparisons he gets because of both of their immaturity they are in a sense opposites on the field  Johnny Manziel was at his best when the play broke down but had more trouble when asked to stand in the pocket and deliver.  Chad Kelly seems to be the opposite.  If everything goes perfectly, his protection holds and his primary receiver gets open he looks great.  When something breaks down he has problems. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Couldn't watch the video so I looked up my own video of all his plays against the Browns.

From what I saw he looks decisive in the pocket and looks to deliver the ball fast.  Has NFL caliber arm strength.  

Negatives though is that he can get really really inaccurate and made bad decisions when under pressure.  And I know all QB's are less accurate and make worse decisions under pressure, but with Kelly it especially stands out.  He looked really bad on screen passes and I think a huge part of that is that 

He also seems to lack some pocket feel.  Luck almost seemed to have eyes on the back of his head sometimes, always seemed to know when to step up in the pocket to avoid the edge rusher.  Kelly didn't appear to have that.  Took a sack on one rush in which if he had made a decision to run outside the pocket or step up into the pocket about a half second earlier he could have extended the play.  

The other thing is that he likely would need to learn to read NFL defenses who are not going to be as vanilla as they are in the pre-season.  I also don't think I saw him ever really go through his progressions.  He can take the snap and deliver a great ball to his primary receiver with a clean pocket.  

Oddly enough for all the Johnny Manziel comparisons he gets because of both of their immaturity they are in a sense opposites on the field  Johnny Manziel was at his best when the play broke down but had more trouble when asked to stand in the pocket and deliver.  Chad Kelly seems to be the opposite.  If everything goes perfectly, his protection holds and his primary receiver gets open he looks great.  When something breaks down he has problems. 

We are clearly not watching the same player. Watch the posted video and you can clearly see him go through reads.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I've been very impressed with Kelly's arm.  The ball gets to the receiver FAST.  Seemed to have good accuracy too.

I really like his temperment.  Reminds me ALOT of Baker Mayfield.  Kelly looks comfortable and in total control of the offence.

This, however, was not with, or against #1s, so it is difficult to read.  But i really like everything i've seen of him.

I am a brand new Colts fan because of Chad Kelly. I watched him for two years at Ole Miss. I watched him put up Playstation numbers against Alabama two seasons in a row. He is fearless and fun to watch. One of his best QB traits is keeping his cool after a bad play. Also, I love how he stands his ground and makes a beautiful throw a split secong before getting smashed by a linebacker. He has guts and determination.

This guy sums Kelly up really well.

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/2114372001

Doyel: With Andrew Luck gone, bad-boy QB Chad Kelly is more than Colts reclamation project

"Maybe the Colts were doing someone a favor when they signed this kid.

Themselves."

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I am a brand new Colts fan because of Chad Kelly. I watched him for two years at Ole Miss. I watched him put up Playstation numbers against Alabama. He is fearless and fun to watch. One of his best QB traits is keeping his cool after a bad play. Also, I love how he stands his ground and makes a beautiful throw a split secong before getting smashed by a linebacker. He has guts and determination.

Doyel: With Andrew Luck gone, bad-boy QB Chad Kelly is more than Colts reclamation project

Themselves."

Take a Like. Welcome!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I am a brand new Colts fan because of Chad Kelly. I watched him for two years at Ole Miss. I watched him put up Playstation numbers against Alabama two seasons in a row. He is fearless and fun to watch. One of his best QB traits is keeping his cool after a bad play. Also, I love how he stands his ground and makes a beautiful throw a split secong before getting smashed by a linebacker. He has guts and determination.

Themselves."

Welcome!

he definitely has skillz and simply moves the O.

will be interesting to see if he gets an opportunity this season.

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice welcome! I have been lurking here a bit during preseason and the fans here seem like a good community. I grew up in a place where the nearest pro team was 6 hours away, so I need a team to root for. :)

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not sure I agree with much of this, I do agree he would need to work on reading defenses, of course.  However, he's intensely comfortable in the pocket.  I think he's been great so far which is all he can do is play in the spots the coaches put him in. I think his pre-season completion percent may be over 75%.  I'd like to see him against one's.  This guy holds my interest.

6 minutes ago, CamMo said:

How did he look in tonight’s game? I saw the  TD run in highlights, but that’s it.

Really good except he underthrew Campbell on a deep pass that was picked. His release is just so fast, the type you see from guys like Stafford.

Other than the pick his only other two incompletions were drops IIRC

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Really good except he underthrew Campbell on a deep pass that was picked. His release is just so fast, the type you see from guys like Stafford.

Other than the pick his only other two incompletions were drops IIRC

A good thing to note is that he shook that int. off and marched the ball down the field the next possession. Definitely a good trait to have; selective short term memory. Something vaguely familiar around the Colts :)

• Like 1

All I'll say is that, while I think Brissett's the better QB right now, I almost think Kelly fits this offense a little more than JB.

Obviously Brissett knows the playbook more and has more familiarity in general with Reich. However, I really like how Kelly runs the RPO and I think he gets the ball out faster/has a better mix of velocity and touch on the shorter throws. Brissett has an exceptional deep ball but from what little we've seen, I think Kelly has better touch/accuracy on the crossing patterns and short curls than Brissett does. I think back to Brissett rifling these crossing/curl/comeback throws that are hard for the receivers to catch, as opposed to Kelly who throws a very catchable ball in these instances.

I'm not trying to annoint Kelly as the next big thing, and I don't think we'll get to see him this season unless Brissett goes down, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not curious to see how Kelly would do in a regular season game.

• Like 8

Brissett is the better, more complete QB now.

Kelly has a much higher ceiling.

Why?  He has some things/traits you can't teach: touch, anticipation, quiet feet in the pocket (his feet look like Brady's in the pocket, and no, I'm not getting carried away, just talking about footwork), speed, and absolutely elite velocity on his ball.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Brissett is the better, more complete QB now.

Kelly has a much higher ceiling.

Why?  He has some things/traits you can't teach: touch, anticipation, quiet feet in the pocket (his feet look like Brady's in the pocket, and no, I'm not getting carried away, just talking about footwork), speed, and absolutely elite velocity on his ball.

Good job describing exactly why I’ve become fascinated with him. These are skills that you only see on starting QB’s in the league. The way he moves around the pocket and the way his passes fly off his hand just gives him that “look” of a starting QB. It’s not a definable look but you know it when you see it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CamMo said:

How did he look in tonight’s game? I saw the  TD run in highlights, but that’s it.

He threw an ugly interception. Other than that Kelly looked pretty sharp.

Picked up a first down and scored a td both rushing.  He is exciting running the ball.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

He threw an ugly interception. Other than that Kelly looked pretty sharp.

Picked up a first down and scored a td both rushing.  He is exciting running the ball.

Would Ballard and Reich giving him a shot instill any loyalty in him? To be honest both our QBs Kelly and Brissett has me excited. I was listening to JMV and he was talking about a sense of relief being felt by everyone, even if we dont want to admit it. Interesting just because that's kind of how I felt. 

I was a big fan of Andrew it's not like I was expecting to feel like that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lennon1940 said:

Good job describing exactly why I’ve become fascinated with him. These are skills that you only see on starting QB’s in the league. The way he moves around the pocket and the way his passes fly off his hand just gives him that “look” of a starting QB. It’s not a definable look but you know it when you see it.

Thank you.  I think you hit the nail on the head as well.  When you're describing how he "looks" - that is exactly how I feel as well.  Same way Luck could sense the rush coming from various directions in the pocket while still keeping his eyes downfield.  That always just looked different compared to other QBs.

Chad Kelly has moments where he looks like that; he'll stand in the pocket for as long as he can with his eyes downfield before quickly releasing the ball.  It's amazing how much "oomph" he can get on his throws without having to "load up."  He has tremendous lower body mechanics.

Only real bad throw I've seen him make was that under-thrown INT against the Bengals.  That's going to happen, especially when you have limited reps with the WR you're throwing to. 

Saying all this, I do realize Kelly has played against lesser competition.  At the same time, some of the traits we are discussing translate no matter who he is playing against.  When Kelly was picked up, I didn't think much of the signing.  Even before the Luck retirement, he became the Colts player I was most intrigued to watch on offense.  I'm surprised.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Would Ballard and Reich giving him a shot instill any loyalty in him? To be honest both our QBs Kelly and Brissett has me excited. I was listening to JMV and he was talking about a sense of relief being felt by everyone, even if we dont want to admit it. Interesting just because that's kind of how I felt. 

I was a big fan of Andrew it's not like I was expecting to feel like that. 

Relief in what way? How did JMV explain it or your take? Relief from always having to worry about injuries?

13 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

So did Luck at times if he gets experience some of that may get better.

So. I've gone through the thread,  and maybe I missed one,  but I've only read two posts that talked about what I think is the most important issue regarding Kelly.

He has almost no pre-season experience this year vs. the opposing 1's.    Almost none.

His four games were almost all against the 2nd and 3rd string.    Almost all back-ups.

You can look pretty good against a pre-season slate of back-ups.   All these comparison between Kelly and JB are silly.   Brissett has performed against starters.    Kelly has not.

Plus,  Kelly still has to earn trust and respect.  

Look,  I'm glad Kelly is doing well.    I've been banging the table for him since we signed him.   He's all upside and not that much downside.     If he works out,  great.   And if he doesn't,  he cost us almost nothing.     Win-win playing with House Money.

And so far, the plan is working out.   He's much better than most here thought a month ago.    But he's still go to do it against the first string.    And until he does that,  he's no better than a back-up or maybe even on the pracitce squad.   

We'll all know more soon enough.

So far Chad checked all the boxes. Practice first to show up and last to leave—check. In the daily grind (will throw to any receiver available)—-check. Preseason games against third and fourth stringers—check. Against second stringers when the defenses across the board is vanilla—-check. (Good QB’s shine against vanilla defenses, but if the QB struggles that’s a bad sign).

I don’t think this year is his year. He has a lot to learn about this offense. This is the next box he needs to check. But look at who will be training him this year. If Chad was coming out in the draft next year how high do you think he would go. He’s not Trevor L from Clemson, but I don’t think he’s too far behind either. If this young man can stay on the up and up. I see a very Intense TC battle  next year.

16 hours ago, Archer said:

I think we could have an epic TC battle for starting QB next year between JB and CK...

Maybe.   That hinges on allot of stuff.

Will Brissett do well this year.   Will the team even want to sign him.

Will Brissett want to go elsewhere.   Will he ask for too much $$.

If the Colts sign him, would they even entertain not starting him even if Kelly looks better.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

Maybe.   That hinges on allot of stuff.

Will Brissett do well this year.   Will the team even want to sign him.

Will Brissett want to go elsewhere.   Will he ask for too much $$.

If the Colts sign him, would they even entertain not starting him even if Kelly looks better.   

True, that.  But, I think we all forget something that Ballard knows: unless you have the #1 overall on a fortuitous year, finding your starting QB ain't easy in this league.  And there's no set formula.  1st rounders are less than 50-50 propositions, great back-ups from other teams usually end up being less than league-average starters, and average starters cost $$$$$ in free agency.  So, if he still thinks there might be above-average potential in Brissett and Kelly, then they'll be here...

I may be going way out on a limb here.  You pair Chad with a capable defense and

he is going to win a lot of games.  He has traits that I swear sometimes I feel like Im

watching Luck when he came into the league. They both are freakishly athletic, they

both have no fear carrying the rock, they both will put the team on their backs.

Where I think they are different is CK seems to have a quicker release. Something Luck

was working on as recent as last year.  Chad may actually be a bit faster which is hard to

believe.  Its too bad we dont have more tape on him.  If we did I think he would be pushing

for QB1 much sooner.  JB might be frustrating to watch after seeing how smooth an offense

can run with a quicker release and accuracy. But its JB's team now and I just dont think

Chad has a chance to overtake him unless JB gets hurt or is absolutely over his head.

Sometimes you can read the players by their actions. If you see a Lethargic offense its 

because their has not been any trust developed yet.  If you fail to see that trust develop after 

3-4 games that could be another way in for Chad.

Just now, Blindside said:

I may be going way out on a limb here.  You pair Chad with a capable defense and

he is going to win a lot of games.  He has traits that I swear sometimes I feel like Im

watching Luck when he came into the league. They both are freakishly athletic, they

both have no fear carrying the rock, they both will put the team on their backs.

Where I think they are different is CK seems to have a quicker release. Something Luck

was working on as recent as last year.  Chad may actually be a bit faster which is hard to

believe.  Its too bad we dont have more tape on him.  If we did I think he would be pushing for QB1 much sooner.  JB might be frustrating to watch after seeing how smooth an offense can run with a quicker release and accuracy. But its JB's team now and I just dont think Chad has a chance to overtake him unless JB gets hurt or is absolutely over his head. Sometimes you can read the players by their actions. If you see a Lethargic offense its because their has not been any trust developed yet.  If you fail to see that trust develop after 3-4 games that could be another way in for Chad.