Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissette plays well, then what?

ThorstenDenmark

Jacoby Brissett will now get his second chance of showing he's a #1 QB, which is what we have to get used to.

Time will tell how good or bad he really is, but what if he ONLY does okay, and we fall short of a playoff spot?

His numbers are somewhere between 20-25 TD´s and he  gets 2 Rushing TD´s and somewhere between 3000 to 3500 yards passing, then what?

Is that good enough to give him a new contract, which will be in the $20+ million range or should we move on and draft/ trade for a new QB?

As of right now, it look that we have a ton of cap space again next season, so how should Ballard play this one out?

If Brissett plays really well, we make the playoffs and his numbers are better than those above, are we then talking a $25+ million contract in the $100-120 million range?

Of course I hope he plays like a stud and solidifies into our next great QB, but I just have a strange feeling about him, and that he´s overhyped like Jimmy G.

But for now, how should Ballard play this one out? 

1 minute ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Jacoby Brissett will now get his second chance of showing he's a #1 QB, which is what we have to get used to.

Time will tell how good or bad he really is, but what if he ONLY does okay, and we fall short of a playoff spot?

His numbers are somewhere between 20-25 TD´s and he  gets 2 Rushing TD´s and somewhere between 3000 to 3500 yards passing, then what?

Is that good enough to give him a new contract, which will be in the $20+ million range or should we move on and draft/ trade for a new QB?

As of right now, it look that we have a ton of cap space again next season, so how should Ballard play this one out?

If Brissett plays really well, we make the playoffs and his numbers are better than those above, are we then talking a $25+ million contract in the $100-120 million range?

Of course I hope he plays like a stud and solidifies into our next great QB, but I just have a strange feeling about him, and that he´s overhyped like Jimmy G.

But for now, how should Ballard play this one out? 

rumor is they are working an extension now.  My guess is that it'll be in the 15-18 mil and heavily incentive laden. 

How well is relative!!! It is never good enough for some fans if you do not win it all. 

To me, if he leads us to the playoffs with 9 or 10 wins, he is definitely worth viewing as a high floor QB that we can load up the D and OL for more support while paying him at a rate less than a marquee QB (around $15-17 mil. per year for 3 years at least). It definitely keeps you from drafting a QB high unless value presents itself.

If he is inconsistent and does not show a good ceiling and we get to say 6 or 7 wins, we might be forced to draft a QB higher and pay him in the range of $9-10 mil. a year for a couple of years.

That is my take on it. :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Is there a source for that rumor?

Mike Florio on his show yesterday said he heard they were already working on one. I assume it will be a big bump in pay and maybe 2 years. You can’t give him a lot  of years since he is unproven.

If we win ten games and go to the playoffs he is the next guy. If we win 8 or 9 I think they will look for someone in the draft that will sit behind him a year.  

If he does take us to the playoffs I think they will still draft a QB as his backup.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Is there a source for that rumor?

i saw it via a tweet in one of the many Andrew Luck retired/Brissett train threads, I don't recall which.  It was from a credible source, im thinking Holder or Wells, heck i could be wrong even.

How many turnovers are we to assume will be his responsibility?

What record do we assume?

Did we win because, or in spite of, him?

What other positions need to be upgraded? 

What are the evaluations of the upcoming draft class?

TDs and yards aren't enough of a determining factor.

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i saw it via a tweet in one of the many Andrew Luck retired/Brissett train threads, I don't recall which.  It was from a credible source, im thinking Holder or Wells, heck i could be wrong even.

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

think it was florio. somebody posted it in a previous thread .

Thanks, makes sense that I missed it if it was Florio, since I avoid him.

It also makes sense to extend Brissett, give him a one or two year deal before he hits the market. I don't know about $18m/year, but I'm sure they'll work that out.

• Like 1

If he plays well say 3,500 -4,000 and 25 to 30 TDS he has earned an extension and more likely than not you made the playoffs..

as for wins wins or losses that depends on how things unfold.. injuries to key players or the D isn’t as good as hyped (or the O line makes him run around all day etc) 

but it I see the Colts winning the Division because well ...

Texans - are a mess with a terrible O line and lost their #1 RB and supposedly trading Clowney.

Jags — Will implode again..

Titans — average QB, Average D... just meh.. 

• Like 1