Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there a huge difference.....

Tsarquise

Between what Andrew Luck did and what Josh McDaniels did? 

They both changed their minds at the last minute, and they both did what was advantageous for them. Both of their decisions affected a lot of people, yet one received huge backlash, and the other received a rush of support. I'm sure if the Colts had known Luck was going to retire, their off-season moves would have been at least a little different. 

I am aware of the Colts Patriots bias for the two of them, and I know I'll receive backlash for this, but there is not a lot of difference between the two, imo. 

Now that I think about it, McDaniels never even signed, yet Luck was under contract, which, imo makes it worse. 

• Like 5

I am also a little peeved that the decision to let go of Manning for Luck (and that's exactly what that was. Although Manning was dealing with injury, we would not have let Manning go for Luck if Luck was not available) turned out like this. 

And I am mystified why McDaniels received so much backlash in and outside of the Colts nation, yet Luck is receiving universal support in and outside of the Colts nation.

I also feel that this whole condemnation of fans booing is ridiculous. It's a pretty shocking revelation that they were dealing with and they paid their money to go to a meaningless  preseason game. Fans make this game a reality. No fans equals no grown men getting paid millions for a frivolous game. 

It's kind of akin to your favorite performer not showing up or cancelling the concert tour after already paying. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand this whole issue of Luck doing what was 'advantagous' for him. Everyone only gets one shot at this life and at some point you have to think of yourself regardless of how other people take it. Maybe he wasn't 'toying' with the fans, maybe the reason he was going through pre season was because he already felt like he wanted to move on but didn't want to let people down but it eventually got too much! Not saying that's the case but I doubt he was trying to annoy fans on purpose and deliberately leading them down a blind alley

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

actually, I think they both lied in their own unique fashions.

The way it ended we can feel taunted, but I doubt that was Andrews intent.

I do believe he, maybe with the prompting of the FO, did it hoping it'd spark the desire to play again.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, buccolts said:

The way it ended we can feel taunted, but I doubt that was Andrews intent.

I do believe he, maybe with the prompting of the FO, did it hoping it'd spark the desire to play again.

Yeah, I don’t think it was some large thought out conspiracy. But some times, things can happen that can cause truths to turn into lies. This would be one of those cases. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

In my opinion, what Luck did actually is worse.  

Now, before you all call for my head, read this and let me tell you why.

One of these two had numerous interviews and pressers saying they were expecting to play week 1.

One of these two went out 2 weeks ago, in front of all the fans, and ran cone drills, then said afterwards he felt pretty good.

One of these two went out on national tv on the 3rd preseason game and threw footballs in front of the fans at the stadium and on tv.  

One of these two then announced he was quitting late in the 4th quarter of that very game in which he was throwing footballs around in the pregame.

The other never actually said in public he was going to coach the Colts.

People aren't, I repeat, ARE NOT upset because he retired.  Most everyone is understanding to his reasons. People are mad and upset because he taunted fans for the last month with things mentioned above and more. He played the fans for their emotions, he showed off in front of them twice at games. Then suddenly, retires with a lame excuse such as "losing the love of the game".  That doesn't happen over night and it surely doesn't happen middle of a game where you're on the sidelines. No, this whole thing was brought on by Luck himself. He toyed the fans and that is why so many, including myself, think he betrayed the team and the fans. 

The problem with Luck being retired now is what's left of his contract if I read it right will still hurt our cap for another couple of years dead money wise. Aside from that I don't have a huge problem with him retiring cause he lost the joy of the game that he was drafted with injuries took it from him and there fore he decided not to play anymore I hope he can now get his body right and his mind right who know's maybe in a year or two he will decide to try a comeback.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

The problem with Luck being retired now is what's left of his contract if I read it right will still hurt our cap for another couple of years dead money wise. Aside from that I don't have a huge problem...

I agree with you and I also would add...

If Luck didn't wait till the last minute, the team could have perhaps acquired another quality QB, either through the draft, or free agency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

If Luck didn't wait till the last minute, the team could have perhaps acquired another quality QB, either through the draft, or free agency.

Maybe but I didn't see anyone out there in FA better than JB don't really think this 2019 draft QB class is really that good either.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DoubleE Colt said:

I'm not sure I understand this whole issue of Luck doing what was 'advantagous' for him. Everyone only gets one shot at this life and at some point you have to think of yourself regardless of how other people take it. Maybe he wasn't 'toying' with the fans, maybe the reason he was going through pre season was because he already felt like he wanted to move on but didn't want to let people down but it eventually got too much! Not saying that's the case but I doubt he was trying to annoy fans on purpose and deliberately leading them down a blind alley

It's  like paying for tickets to see Bruno Mars and when you get there you find 98 degrees  on the stage and they announce  half way through  that Bruno won't  be doing concerts anymore 

• Like 1

He walked away when he didn't want to play anymore.  Do you want a guy on your team that isn't 100% in?  I don't, which is why I wouldn't ever take him back even if he wanted to come back.  Once you're waffling in your head you're done IMHO.  He's done.

Because it didn't happen on YOUR timeline is no reason to take offense.  I would not want a guy that is there playing and just collecting a paycheck.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Between what Andrew Luck did and what Josh McDaniels did? 

They both changed their minds at the last minute, and they both did what was advantageous for them. Both of their decisions affected a lot of people, yet one received huge backlash, and the other received a rush of support. I'm sure if the Colts had known Luck was going to retire, their off-season moves would have been at least a little different. 

I am aware of the Colts Patriots bias for the two of them, and I know I'll receive backlash for this, but there is not a lot of difference between the two, imo. 

Now that I think about it, McDaniels never even signed, yet Luck was under contract, which, imo makes it worse. 

Not even close to the same.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They feel they have Nick Foles in Brissett.  I understand many don’t feel that way but we aren’t running the team.

Well of course they are saying they have complete confidence in Brissett now.

But had the management known a few months back, that Luck would retire, they may have explored other options at QB position. 

You are right, we are not running the team.

But in the next few weeks we will all get to see what they really have in Brissett...

And the whole Colts team for that matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmy g said:

He wanted a starting job.  At that time, Colts Brass was still trying to convince Luck to stay, so hed be a backup. (Apparently they knew clear back in March?)

They may have known?

We will never really know.

The Colts front office is never going to truthfully explain. Nor would I expect them to.

• Like 1

The stuff people will dumb down and try and sell...

Josh McDaniels is Eric Mangini on offense, a Bill Belichik parasite who will always fail elsewhere.

Andrew Luck broke his * trying to quarterback this team and finally quit when he figured out it’s doctors didn’t know the difference between a calf and an ankle. He went to Europe to get fixed up the time they messed him up before. 

That’s not even getting into the team put around him that was never improved and all the others injuries because every player deals with that for a year or 2 (not 7). 

12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Well of course they are saying they have complete confidence in Brissett now.

But had the management known a few months back, that Luck would retire, they may have explored other options at QB position. 

You are right, we are not running the team.

But in the next few weeks we will all get to see what they really have in Brissett...

And the whole Colts team for that matter.

I don’t think they would have.  They have been saying since last year how much they like Brissett.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think they would have.  They have been saying since last year how much they like Brissett.

Perhaps they would have just rolled with Brissett?

But again, the team is always going to speak highly of their signed players.

Would you expect them to say otherwise?

My feeling is, with the superbowl expectations for this season, they would have explored QB position, and possibly signed another high profile QB.

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Perhaps they would have just rolled with Brissett?

But again, the team is always going to speak highly of their signed players.

Would you expect them to say otherwise?

My feeling is, with the superbowl expectations for this season, they would have explored QB position, and possibly signed another high profile QB.

They have been going out of their way to talk about Jacoby and pretty much saying they weren’t going to trade him.  You don’t do that for a guy you don’t have full confidence in.  Again, they seem to feel Brissett is as good as any QB out there that they could have tried to get.  Is he Mahomes, Brees, or Rivers?  No but those guys weren’t available either.

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

The problem with your theory is that Luck was ready to go this Spring before his setback. When free agency was ongoing there was no retirement talk. When he got hurt again and things lingered, the situation deteriorated. There was no reason for Luck to retire in February. Foles was never coming here because no one, Luck included, saw this coming back then. 

48 minutes ago, Hoose said:

The problem with your theory is that Luck was ready to go this Spring before his setback. When free agency was ongoing there was no retirement talk. When he got hurt again and things lingered, the situation deteriorated. There was no reason for Luck to retire in February. Foles was never coming here because no one, Luck included, saw this coming back then. 

But do we really know when exactly Luck began considering retiring?

The poster a few spaces up... says the team knew back in March.

I guess at this point, it is really irrelevant.

I see now how the entire topic has already gone on too long.

On to Cincinnati!

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

It's  like paying for tickets to see Bruno Mars and when you get there you find 98 degrees  on the stage and they announce  half way through  that Bruno won't  be doing concerts anymore 

Hopefully Bruno Mars hadn't spent 4 years constantly trying to get rid of a sore throat when he sang.....also I notice there seems to be a clear divide between those who paid to see the team because Luck was the QB and those who paid because they support the team. A few years back I may have been more concerned that Luck was our only chance of success but Ballard has gone out of his way these last few years to build a more rounded team and even commented several times it's not just about one guy.....maybe just maybe those high up had the idea that Luck might not be around in the long term!

I think that this was foreseen by Ballard and Reich. 2 years ago Andrew went through a lot. He was in a dark place for a year and a half. Then he returns. He is shaking off rust both physical and emotional. The season has a lot of emotion in it, for the players and the fans. Who wouldnt get sucked into such an energy? And it was the same for Andrew. But this dark place was still there to the side. Offseason hits and he gets married, goes on his honeymoon. Sees place that isn't so dark. Deep down Andrew just felt at peace being away from the dark. The NFL. You see thoughts of retirement have been looming I'm guessing since roughly halfway through rehab. Hes been hammered for his entire career and now his shoulder, his gun, is busted. Maybe I should just retire? Hes already talked about at that time not being sure if he would return. Being in the dark place Andrew was in, he was thinking about walking away back then. Ballard and co knew about this. There was a ton of secrets going on back then and everyone knew it. 

Fast forward to today. Andrew now associates his expereince here as dark times. The same secret that they pretty much kept under wraps up until Andrew pulled the plug. He wasnt bluffing this time. He was done. 

When you're watching the press conference ballard looks majorly * off. I think that is because Andrew quit on the team. On everything he has helped build. Yes, hes angry. But relieved. Its finally over. 

Let's look back on this entire off season. Everyone in the organization is praising Brissett. Irsay says we wont take a 1st round pick for Brissett (ballard known for gaining good draft capital isn't taking a first?). Reich says hes a top 20 QB not once, but twice. The one a few months back, and the one 2 days ago. Ballard also has praised Brissett, but he praises all his players pretty regularly. 

They have been doing this deliberately for the fans and also the players. They want people to know that they back Brissett. Brissett fell into their lap. He is a good QB all you need to do is look at his highlights from 2017, then remember the ineptness of that staff. Hes good. 

They saw this coming and they planned as best they could. These guys know their players, and Andrew was unstable in the sense that his career was up in the air to himself. 

This entire thing hasn't ended since his shoulder. Call me whatever you want. But they have acted the same the entire time for 3 years when it comes to Andrew. Secretive. Which is fine. Andrew retiring is fine. I'm not here to make choices for people. But I'm going to speculate because the official story doesn't make complete sense. Andrew is injured. But it's only part of the reason hes retiring. If you went through this, would you also retire? We can all admit Andrew has been hit a lot. Ballard was just too late getting here to save Andrew. 

It falls on irsay

It falls on Grigson and Pagano

And it falls on Andrew. 

A small comparison. Blitzer rushes through the line untouched. Manning? Falls down immediately. Andrew? Tries to make more out of it. Every. Single. Time. Theres a reason Manning had so many consecutive starts. So yes. It also falls on Andrew. 

In the end it's just sad. I dont know if I ever see him returning. I think he just sees it all as bad. He has enough other passions that bring him joy. But if he does come back, I dont think Ballard would take him back. I think trust has been broken. Ballard is already looking at future QBs. In his mind, Andrew is the past. Ballard talks a lot about unity, brotherhood, loyalty. Paying a player his dues. I say he would trade Andrew and aquire more draft capital. 

JMO. 

• Like 2