Let's not forget that the following QB's "Won" Superbowls:

Jeff Hostetler 

Mark Rypien

Doug Williams

Trent Dilfer

Joe Flacco

Nick Foles

Brad Johnson

Why? They were all game managers playing on balanced teams who had stout defenses and a good running games. Most of them had bounced around the league and were backups as well prior to the big win.

That is what Ballard has been wanting to establish is a roster that can carry itself sans a Franchise type QB. 

This roster probably isn't there yet but its not beyond the realm of possibilities.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Add Manning in Super Bowl 50 to that list.  With all the great seasons he had, he wasn't the same player by SBL.  It's a team game.  That defense was stellar. 

Likewise Brady in last year's Super Bowl.  The defense won that game.

QBs are not the only way to win a Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

It's almost kind of an exception not the rule thing though. It's certainly possible of course.

Although, it is interesting to mention that these teams that win with less than an elite QB...they never won more than one. Which don't get me wrong, winning 1 SB would be awesome, I only mention that because it'll probably take time for fans who were touting the "multiple SB's" expectations time to adjust to the new expectations. 

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Let's not forget that the following QB's "Won" Superbowls:

Jeff Hostetler 

Mark Rypien

Doug Williams

Trent Dilfer

Joe Flacco

Nick Foles

Brad Johnson

Why? They were all game managers playing on balanced teams who had stout defenses and a good running games. Most of them had bounced around the league and were backups as well prior to the big win.

That is what Ballard has been wanting to establish is a roster that can carry itself sans a Franchise type QB. 

This roster probably isn't there yet but its not beyond the realm of possibilities.

Tom Brady in 2001-4 was a game manager type for that matter.  He elevated his throwing attack in later years but early in his career Belichick used him rather conservatively and it worked because these Pats teams had a great defense.

This team is actually built in a way that resembles that early Patriots dynasty in many ways.  Heavy emphasis on defense, good young legs in the run game and a game manager under center?  Sounds like an old school formula from that era.

Now I'm not saying that Jacoby Brissett is Tom Brady.  But in 01 Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady yet either.  It wasn't really until 07 that the guy was seen as more than a solid game manager with a heavy dose of the clutch gene.  And one thing Tom Brady even in 01 had in spades was attitude and leadership, and those are probably JB's best attributes as well.  So you just.  Never.  Know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It's almost kind of an exception not the rule thing though. It's certainly possible of course.

Although, it is interesting to mention that these teams that win with less than an elite QB...they never won more than one. Which don't get me wrong, winning 1 SB would be awesome, I only mention that because it'll probably take time for fans who were touting the "multiple SB's" expectations time to adjust to the new expectations. 

Brady and big ben were game managers to start their career  and they both won more than 1. Both developed into great qbs.

3 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The outlier being the Redskins who won at the beginning and end of that dominant oline and defense with Williams and Rypien...

You could add that Dan Marino never won one, Elway didn't win one until late in his career, Cam Newton hasn't won one yet, nor has Philip Rivers nor did Dan Fouts or Jim Kelly. The point is of course being a HOF QB doesn't guarantee a SB ring and not being one doesn't preclude you winning one. Let's see what we have on the field before we start wheeling and dealing for our next can't miss HOFer in waiting.