Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retirement Vs. Vontae Davis Retirement

53 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Cause Vontae did it in the middle of the regular season.

Atleast even though he cut it close luck knew he was done and told the colts that before the regular season started.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Vontae couldn't make it through the game.. poor Luck was undercut by someone leaking information.

Right.  It's not hard to understand. Vontae got upset halfway through a game and said screw it. Luck had plans to announce at a press conference the next day, but some moroon leaked the info to Schefter to hang Luck out to dry. If he gets to announce it, rather than it being leaked, the whole thing looks 100x better. (Though the timing is still just awful)

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Right.  It's not hard to understand. Vontae got upset halfway through a game and said screw it. Luck had plans to announce at a press conference the next day, but some moroon leaked the info to Schefter to hang Luck out to dry. If he gets to announce it, rather than it being leaked, the whole thing looks 100x better. (Though the timing is still just awful)

Yeah he should have at least finished the game, even on the sideline if he wasn’t feeling “right,” but according to Vontae, it wasn’t because he was upset....

‘This isn’t how I pictured retiring from the NFL.

But in my 10th NFL season, I have been doing what my body has been programmed to do: Get ready to play on game day. I’ve endured multiple surgeries and played through many different injuries throughout my career and, over the last few weeks, this was the latest physical challenge.

But today on the field, reality hit me fast and hard: I shouldn’t be out there anymore.

I meant no disrespect to my teammates and coaches. But I hold myself to a standard. Mentally, I always expect myself to play at a high level. But physically, I know today that isn’t possible, and I had an honest moment with myself. While I was on the field, I just didn’t feel right, and I told the coaches, ‘I’m not feeling like myself.’

Sounds pretty similar to lucks predicament to me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

It is what it is.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:46 PM, HOZER said:

Yeah he should have at least finished the game, even on the sideline if he wasn’t feeling “right,” but according to Vontae, it wasn’t because he was upset....

‘This isn’t how I pictured retiring from the NFL.

But in my 10th NFL season, I have been doing what my body has been programmed to do: Get ready to play on game day. I’ve endured multiple surgeries and played through many different injuries throughout my career and, over the last few weeks, this was the latest physical challenge.

But today on the field, reality hit me fast and hard: I shouldn’t be out there anymore.

I meant no disrespect to my teammates and coaches. But I hold myself to a standard. Mentally, I always expect myself to play at a high level. But physically, I know today that isn’t possible, and I had an honest moment with myself. While I was on the field, I just didn’t feel right, and I told the coaches, ‘I’m not feeling like myself.’

Sounds pretty similar to lucks predicament to me.

His reasons where the same.  

But team management knew of Luck's decision before the season and before the pre-season game that he wasn't going to play in anyways.

Davis decided this stuff in the middle of a regular season game in which he was suppose to be playing.  

Also Luck decided this after getting bad news about a lingering injury he's had.  Davis again did this in the middle of game he's suppose to be playing in.  

If Luck took a bad sack but wasn't injured, got up and said "I'm tired of this" and walked off the field and into the locker room they would be comparable.  

It’s all subjective. In the eyes of the fans you have a player in his prime on a SB contending team who is the most important player on the team quitting...on the other team you have a bad team with a past his prime marginal player quitting. Add to the fact that one player was the reason the most successful and arguably one of the greatest players all time was cut so they could draft him only to have him quit on them well...it’s up to the person to decide which stings more or is worse. Let’s be real. In a game where it is understood and expected that you will get injured and play with and through pain and your team chose you over Peyton Manning who went on to continue his greatness I can see where some might make a case people have it backwards.

• Like 1
On 8/27/2019 at 12:55 PM, HOZER said:

Hey there @Hozer,

A very intriguing thread here buddy. Honestly, Davis quitting at halftime unless you are injured is much worse than calling it a career before the regular season starts to me. I say that because teammates in your locker room feel abandoned by a DB who could maybe pick off a pass late in the second half of a game that could change a team's prospects in the playoff hunt later in the yr scratching & clawing for a wildcard spot. 

Yes, I know that Luck walking off into the sunset squashed our SB aspirations this yr, but at least he didn't make this decision say mid or late November. Imagine the animosity fans would spew then? Ooh baby. Talk about ugly. Not a pretty picture at all folks. 

Still both gentlemen did play well for INDY when health allowed them to so, I really can't crucify either athlete really. Unlike politicians neither Davis or Luck said, they were stepping away primarily to spend more time with their families. That line is usually code for I was banging a woman I shouldn't have been & I need to save my marriage before my wife gets a lawyer, files for divorce, takes me to the cleaners, & saddles me with over the moon alimony payments etc. etc. 

It's a position thing mostly. Franchise QBs have way more wiggle room to be forgiven by the masses faster than cornerbacks do based solely on who handles the ball more every single down each week from September thru February meaning their importance to a franchise for 16 weeks.

Thanks for posting this article Hozer. It makes you realize nothing is ever cut & dry & all breakups eventually get messy. To quote Patrick Swayze in the movie 'Road House': 

"It will get worse before it gets better." Why aren't there any easy life lessons to learn? It figures. LOL! 

• Thanks 1
On 8/29/2019 at 1:29 PM, Valpo2004 said:

His reasons where the same.  

But team management knew of Luck's decision before the season and before the pre-season game that he wasn't going to play in anyways.

Davis decided this stuff in the middle of a regular season game in which he was suppose to be playing.  

Also Luck decided this after getting bad news about a lingering injury he's had.  Davis again did this in the middle of game he's suppose to be playing in.  

If Luck took a bad sack but wasn't injured, got up and said "I'm tired of this" and walked off the field and into the locker room they would be comparable.  

So you're blaming VD for realizing his situation during the game as opposed to Luck who was able to realize it over several months?  I'm not sure that was VDs choice.

Yes, on the surface, I think VD should have finished the game.  But, like Luck said, if his heart was no longer in it due the physical challenges he was facing, how effective would VD have been in the second half?  I'm assuming VD was thinking that the backup would have played better than him, so he took himself out.

I don't see a whole lot of difference between the situations, other than VDs decision happened in an overall condensed time frame because he was more certain about his feeling s than Luck was....who apparently couldn't come to a decision very quickly.