Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gil Brandt with Luck Facts

ColtsBlueFL

7 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Get over yourself Luck passed up another 64 million to retire he didn't take the money and run.

More than 64 million.

He would’ve had 2 more big contracts, and the way the QB salaries are going, id say he easily passed up on over a further $300 million.

Not to mention sponsorship / advertising deals on top of that.

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

More than 64 million.

He would’ve had 2 more big contracts, and the way the QB salaries are going, id say he easily passed up on over a further $300 million.

Not to mention sponsorship / advertising deals on top of that.

I'm talking about what was left on his contract.

I think history will view Luck from two perspectives; Colts fans will tell campfire stories about him, preaching about his wonderful personality and glowing stories of what-if's. Outsiders, however, will speak about him as a guy with wasted potential who did nothing. He didn't reach a Superbowl, let alone win one when Irsay had preached about multiple Superbowls.

Barry Sanders is remembered for being a good player who retired on a bad team; Luck will be remembered as a good player who retired on a good team. What a waste.

9 hours ago, Old Colt said:

But he is keeping the guaranteed bonus money, which he won't complete his contract and therefore not earn.  Granted, soft Irsay isn't going to ask for it back, but if Luck wasn't "taking the money and running" he would give it back without being asked.

Maybe you don't understand what the guaranteed portion of the contract means.  NFL contracts are not guaranteed, that is why elite players ask for and get contracts with a certain amount of guaranteed money.  Luck is not going to give it back nor is Irsay going to ask for it back.  Not because he's "soft" it's because that is business.

33 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He's not a bust any talking head saying that is a *.

I agree a bust is a player that is drafted in the top 5 and stinks from day 1 or maybe only has 1 or 2 very good years to start his career than stinks. Luck was borderline great his first 3 years in the league and was very good to great last season.

When I think of busts, I think of guys off the top of my head like H. Shuler, R. Leaf, D. Carr, J. Russell, T. Couch, J. George, and even RGIII who only had 1 very good season (his rookie season). Luck even played in an AFC Title Game.

9 hours ago, Old Colt said:

But he is keeping the guaranteed bonus money, which he won't complete his contract and therefore not earn.  Granted, soft Irsay isn't going to ask for it back, but if Luck wasn't "taking the money and running" he would give it back without being asked.

The way it’s being reported on various sports shows is that IF the team goes back and tries to recoup it, they will succeed. HOWEVER, it would also void his remaining years on his contract. Meaning if he were to unretire, he’d be a FA. However, as it sits, the Colts hold his playing rights for all eternity and if he were to unretire, the colts would own the three remaining years in his contract.  It’s not about being soft. It’s about protecting the franchise should Luck want to come back

9 hours ago, Hoose said:

Andrew Luck was definitely NOT a bust. His career was a disappointment because of the injuries that derailed it. A bust is someone like JeMarcus Russell who stunk it up from Day 1. When Luck was on the field it was magic. Let’s have some perspective please. 

But that poster did not say Andrew Luck was a bust.  He said he was in both HOF and bust company.

Fewest games played by quarterbacks drafted No. 1 overall:

JaMarcus Russell 31
Tim Couch 62
Sam Bradford 83
Andrew Luck 86
David Carr 94

(via @NFLResearch)

On this particular list, Luck's name is alongside busts like Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, David Carr, etc.  i.e. he is in the company of busts as far as this category goes.  In others, Luck is in the company of hall of famers...not to say he is a hall of famer either. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree a bust is a player that is drafted in the top 5 and stinks from day 1 or maybe only has 1 or 2 very good years to start his career than stinks. Luck was borderline great his first 3 years in the league and was very good to great last season.

When I think of busts, I think of guys off the top of my head like H. Shuler, R. Leaf, D. Carr, J. Russell, T. Couch, J. George, and even RGIII who only had 1 very good season (his rookie season). Luck even played in an AFC Title Game.

100% agreed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coltsfanej said:

Very polarizing. He is in both HOF company and huge bust company. It will be interesting at how people view his career years from now. I believe it will always be with the sentiment of what could have been. 

Those stats dont show any busts.

10 hours ago, aaron11 said:

he would have to either come back and play here, or be traded

we have his rights for i think two more seasons no matter how long he waits.  

That's what I thought, but theres an article somewhere that claims he'll have to pass thru waivers first.  I have no idea.

3 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

But that poster did not say Andrew Luck was a bust.  He said he was in both HOF and bust company.

Fewest games played by quarterbacks drafted No. 1 overall:

JaMarcus Russell 31
Tim Couch 62
Sam Bradford 83
Andrew Luck 86
David Carr 94

(via @NFLResearch)

On this particular list, Luck's name is alongside busts like Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, David Carr, etc.  i.e. he is in the company of busts as far as this category goes.  In others, Luck is in the company of hall of famers...not to say he is a hall of famer either. 

I disagree. CSMopar said , and I quote: “Honestly, Andrew Luck is a bust”. I think that is way off base. Nuff said. 

Luck wasn’t a bust.  At the same time he didn’t quite fulfill the lofty expectations that accompanied him on draft day.  He made the playoffs, had good stats but ultimately quit before taking the franchise to the Super Bowl promised land.  Quit with a team before him that gave him his best chance of doing so.  Now while most fans can certainly understand how this transpired and empathize  with Luck for his concern about his long term health.  Quitting in this way leaves a lot on the table and now subjects him to these type of bust debates and criticisms.  That is an unfortunate consequence of his decision.  

8 hours ago, Hoose said:

I disagree. CSMopar said , and I quote: “Honestly, Andrew Luck is a bust”. I think that is way off base. Nuff said. 

I was referring to what the OP posted.  Not defending Csmopar in this particular situation.  IMO...fans are entitled to how they feel about Luck after this.  Not everyone will have the same opinion and that’s ok with me.