Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gil Brandt with Luck Facts

ColtsBlueFL

The final season stats are irrelevant IMO because he did it at 28 and retired in his prime. It's not like he retired at 38 on top of his game. He'll be an average no1 overall pick to me that didn't live up to his hype because of injuries and retiring young, and we'll always wonder what could have been.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

Very polarizing. He is in both HOF company and huge bust company. It will be interesting at how people view his career years from now. I believe it will always be with the sentiment of what could have been. 

I think rather than him being in "huge bust" company it should maybe be "What If?" company.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

Very polarizing. He is in both HOF company and huge bust company. It will be interesting at how people view his career years from now. I believe it will always be with the sentiment of what could have been. 

Honestly, he'll be remembered as a bust. Maybe not the ultimate bust, that title from Ryan Leaf is gonna be hard to take. But he'll be in top 30 simply because he retired in his prime and injuries took a toll on his career for most of it.

Which is sad, because he really had the potential to be GREAT now that we have a solid team around him. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, FRW said:

Yep 'what if'. A bust comes in and flops which Luck didn't do. He was obviously up there with the big boys for as long as it lasted. It just didn't last long enough.

19 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I think rather than him being in "huge bust" company it should maybe be "What If?" company.

I in no way meant to imply that Andrew was a bust and totally agree with the what if sentiment, but anytime Jamarcus Russel is used as comparison that is definitely company of bust. Only because it's statistic if games played. Nothing to do with ability or career achievements.... I just watched the highlight video on NFL app of Andrews career highlights. Wow! Some awesome memories and amazing comebacks. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The final season stats are irrelevant IMO because he did it at 28 and retired in his prime. It's not like he retired at 38 on top of his game. He'll be an average no1 overall pick to me that didn't live up to his hype because of injuries and retiring young, and we'll always wonder what could have been.

He lived up to the hype fine the team didn't cause they let him get hurt cause the were negligent on building him a team that was worth a crap colts fault not his.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coltsfanej said:

I think Luck will become pretty much the biggest "what if?" story in NFL history. Up there with Barry Sanders.

• Like 3

But he is keeping the guaranteed bonus money, which he won't complete his contract and therefore not earn.  Granted, soft Irsay isn't going to ask for it back, but if Luck wasn't "taking the money and running" he would give it back without being asked.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Hmmmm...

Bert Jones type of fashion?

In my head I compare it to Barry Sanders.  Phenomenal talents, made a huge impacts on the field when they played (although both held back by surrounding talent), but left in their prime leaving questions about what could have been.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Andrew Luck was definitely NOT a bust. His career was a disappointment because of the injuries that derailed it. A bust is someone like JeMarcus Russell who stunk it up from Day 1. When Luck was on the field it was magic. Let’s have some perspective please. 

Truth Speak. You will not be able to tell certain people this. 

"There are certain men you just can't reach"- Cool Hand Luke

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

But he is keeping the guaranteed bonus money, which he won't complete his contract and therefore not earn.  Granted, soft Irsay isn't going to ask for it back, but if Luck wasn't "taking the money and running" he would give it back without being asked.

Maybe you should try to scratch under the surface about Irsay letting him keep whatever money for this year and Luck accepting. This is no prediction, but it is a huge gesture of gratitude if Luck should ever get healthy and decide to give it another go. At worst, it’s Irsay being what most sports team owners aren’t; human and decent

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AZColtsAmbassador said:

Maybe you should try to scratch under the surface about Irsay letting him keep whatever money for this year and Luck accepting. This is no prediction, but it is a huge gesture of gratitude if Luck should ever get healthy and decide to give it another go. At worst, it’s Irsay being what most sports team owners aren’t; human and decent

You're right on here and Im guessing Irsay views that money as a down payment for the future even if Luck never comes back.

If Luck comes back next year and the Colts took their money back that makes the Colts the bad guys (see the Lions vs Calvin Johnson). 

If Luck comes back and plays for someone else (dont know the rules here) that makes Luck the bad guy by a long shot.

• Like 1

Just now, Mitch Connors said:

You're right on here and Im guessing Irsay views that money as a down payment for the future even if Luck never comes back.

If Luck comes back next year and the Colts took their money back that makes the Colts the bad guys (see the Lions vs Calvin Johnson). 

If Luck comes back and plays for someone else (dont know the rules here) that makes Luck the bad guy by a long shot.

he would have to either come back and play here, or be traded

we have his rights for i think two more seasons no matter how long he waits.  

• Like 3

He's not close to a bust - elite numbers, made the playoffs practically every year he was healthy, won 4 playoff games, made an AFC Championship game, 4 Pro Bowls

He's not a bust, but if he truly is finished, he will be forgotten fairly quickly.  He didn't do enough to have any type of lasting legacy.  

39 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Actually to correct aaron11 we actually hold his rights in perpetuity.  

That said I really don't think he's going to come back.  Luck is a guy who has a lot of other things he wants to do with his life.  There are a lot of guys in the NFL that all they ever wanted to do with their lives was play pro-football.  And those guys won't quit until they are told they can't play anymore.  

That's not Luck.  He's going to find stuff to do and I will be interested in seeing what he does.  

• Like 1

He's not a bust. A bust does not go 11-5 three straight years with a garbage roster. A bust does not finish his career 20 wins above .500 (with mostly a garbage roster). A bust doesn't make a 28 point comeback against Andy Reid. A bust doesn't beat Aaron Rodgers twice. A bust doesn't beat the eventual super bowl champs twice (Seattle 2013, Denver 2015). A bust doesn't beat Peyton Manning on the road in a playoff game. A bust doesn't lead a 1-5 team all the way to the divisional round of the playoffs. 

He might not be a HOFer, and he's certainly a 'what could have been', but he's not a bust. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Old Colt said:

Then there are those of us that felt he was well underpaid the first few years of his rookie contract, thus earned all of the 12.8 mil the guaranteed signing bonus money.  He was on the roster beginning of new year this season, tried to rehab to play right up onto the season. So I am Glad Irsay gave him his 12 million roster bonus too.

3 hours ago, Introspect said:

Truth Speak. You will not be able to tell certain people this. 

"There are certain men you just can't reach"- Cool Hand Luke

He was a bust no more or less than Bo Jackson...

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

How about the low pay rookie contract past?

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

His contract tolls, so how much is left on it is how long the Colts retain his rights upon his reinstatement.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Honestly, he'll be remembered as a bust. 

Yaa....not. Look, we get it...your upset. You have a right to any feelings you may have, but calling him a bust is flat out wrong. There is not a single parameter you can site that would categorize Andrew Luck as a bust....other than your own disappointment. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Yaa....not. Look, we get it...your upset. You have a right to any feelings you may have, but calling him a bust is flat out wrong. There is not a single parameter you can site that would categorize Andrew Luck as a bust....other than your own disappointment. 

I, personally, will not call him a bust. I'm saying that historically speaking, players in similar situations as Luck's, have been labeled by those making said lists, as a bust. 

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Here's just one of many such "bust" lists. Looking at this list, my guess is that Luck will end up being put below RG3, somewhere between 15 and 30, granted, that is just this list, but injuries are listed on a TON of the players on this list, even a couple with early retirements.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2019/04/10/nfl-draft-busts-biggest-history-ever-picks-players-quarterbacks/3410644002/

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I, personally, will not call him a bust. I'm saying that historically speaking, players in similar situations as Luck's, have been labeled by those making said lists, as a bust. 

Name one with the accomplishments he has.

Do you also consider Gronk a bust or Romo?

• Like 1

Here is the question. What Injuries does Luck have now. He has healed from the other injuries and is now football injury wise healthy and ready to play with a great team around him.  The "calf injury" we are being told is non football related. He does not have a present "football" injury that we are being told about. He is going to quit snowboarding or simply working out? I do not know the answer but to say he is tired of football injuries when he does not have a football injury is puzzling. Don't get me wrong he can retire simply because he does not want to play football but it is not related to a "football" injury.

3 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Don't get me wrong he can retire simply because he does not want to play football but it is not related to a "football" injury.

i dont think it is, or at least not any current injury.  im sure the prior football injures were a factor though 

I will remember Luck in a few different ways.

1. A very good QB but not great. Definitely very good though. Obviously not on the level of Peyton Manning or Johnny Unitas.

2. A guy that retired too early.

3. A confused young man that looked mentally drained when he retired.

-No way was he a bust. His 1st 3 seasons he led the team to 11-5 records. A bust is someone drafted in the top 5 and stinks from day 1. Luck had 4 very good to great seasons in reality = 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2018.

Luck has played 86 games for the Colts? 

Manning played his 86th game for the Colts in October of 2003.  Looking back, that still feels like the beginning of an era, the beginning of his career.

Brady played his 86th game for the Pats some time in 2005? 

Yeah, hate to say it, but if this truly is the end, Luck will be forgotten fairly quickly.

• Like 2