Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats Center David Andrews Hospitalized

JimJaime

20 hours ago, chad72 said:

Scary thing for him. Hope he is alright.

Didn't Nate Solder have something a while ago? Or was that Antonio Garcia?

What is it with blood clots in the lungs and NE OL?

I don’t remember who it was but ya  it’s weird I want say it was a center as well that got it 

the offensive lineman lifestyle makes this sort of thing a possibility for any one of them at any given time, between the need to maintain at high levels of weight, cardio strain and brutal levels of physical contact.

Rumors are that Andrews is probably done for the year and his career might be over.  From what I've read, to combat the clots he's going to have to go on blood thinners that are likely make continuing to play at any level a risk he can't afford to take.

There's that little devil in my head that says this doesn't hurt our chances at all, Andrews was a subtle but very significant contributor to that franchise's recent success.  But at the same time, all accounts are Andrews is a genuinely decent human being and it sucks to see a standup guy like this go out this way.  Good luck to him.

I had heard about his pulmonary emboli, but no other information concerning it.  So was it a 'provoked' incident (IE: say he was dehydrated and sat still for a long flight and developed clots) Was he suffering any  SVT and/ot DVT, or was the P.E.  without any clear reason?

I think provoked emboli is anti coagulation treatment for 3 months. Unprovoked it is 3-6 months, and there is a 10% chance of reoccurance after.

He can make it back to playing, but it takes awhile to normalize and restore the lung capacity after anti coagulation treatment.  I think around 3 others (Russell Okung, Clint Boling, Antonio Garcia) have suffered P.E. and/or SVT/DVT  and not sure any of them has been able to come back yet, though.

Chris Bosh of the NBA suffered this and retired if any NBA fans remember.  I suspect he is out until at least the 2020 season.