Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Andrew going to be in the Ring of honor?

jvan1973

Andrew in the ring of honor  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Is Andrew going to be in the Ring of Honor

Just now, indyagent17 said:

Peyton Manning have the greatest impact on this team. So what great impact did luck have on this team be on with Peyton started. I'm not saying you wasn't a great quarterback but there's no way doing in the Ring of Honor playing five and a half years and not winning any titles

You obviously have no idea who is in the ring of honor.   Do research,  check back 

• Like 1

To be fair, Harbaugh won more playoff games than Luck in his years here. He also took the Colts to back to back AFC championship games.  Heck Harbaugh even won comeback player of the year, and he didn’t quit on the team. He may not have been as talented but it’s called the ring of Honor. What he did wasn’t honorable. How much was him vs the org we don’t know. But he ultimately is responsible for his actions.

I have sympathy for him wanting to retire for his health and support that. How he did it, was not honorable.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You can't talk about one without the other

We certainly can as I explained before Harbaugh and Faulk took us out of the dark ages. The rumors of irsay moving the team to Los Angeles. Having a Sunday blackouts half-filled Stadium. Not till 94 was there any true excitement when Harbaugh and Marchibroda showed up and Marshall Faulk. Then came Peyton Manning that change this team completely and made this city a football team. Andrew Luck was a fine quarterback who played five and a half years and quit on the team two weeks before the season started. I don't see the love affair and why should be on the Ring of Honor. The others were much more important in the development of the franchise. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

We certainly can as I explained before Harbaugh and Faulk took us out of the dark ages. The rumors of irsay moving the team to Los Angeles. Having a Sunday blackouts half-filled Stadium. Not till 94 was there any true excitement when Harbaugh and Marchibroda showed up and Marshall Faulk. Then came Peyton Manning that change this team completely and made this city a football team. Andrew Luck was a fine quarterback who played five and a half years and quit on the team two weeks before the season started. I don't see the love affair and why should be on the Ring of Honor. The others were much more important in the development of the franchise. 

This. Before Harbaugh, colts were nothing. He gave fans enough excitement to get them in the seats. Captain Comeback had some spectacular games as a colt. Anyone who would diminish this is severely underestimating his importance in establishing the colts as a team in this city.

7 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

To be fair, Harbaugh won more playoff games than Luck in his years here. He also took the Colts to back to back AFC championship games.  Heck Harbaugh even won comeback player of the year, and he didn’t quit on the team. He may not have been as talented but it’s called the ring of Honor. What he did wasn’t honorable. How much was him vs the org we don’t know. But he ultimately is responsible for his actions.

I have sympathy for him wanting to retire for his health and support that. How he did it, was not honorable.

10 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

To me , Harbaugh would be the Joe Namath of the Indianapolis Colt’s Ring of Honor. Namath won Super Bowl 3, and Jim took the Colts to an AFC Championship game. To me, he doesn’t rate as a ROH candidate. That being said , we have Earnest Byner in the Ravens Ring of Honor, that makes absolutely no sense at all. 

Just now, The Old Crow said:

To me , Harbaugh would be the Joe Namath of the Indianapolis Colt’s Ring of Honor. Namath won Super Bowl 3, and Jim took the Colts to an AFC Championship game. To me, he doesn’t rate as a ROH candidate. That being said , we have Earnest Byner in the Ravens Ring of Honor, that makes absolutely no sense at all. 

I’d say that’s a fair analogy. But even Namath is in the HOF which isn’t to say that Harbaugh should be. Just saying that Harbaugh’s accomplishments aren’t necessarily stats but more impact.

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

I’d say that’s a fair analogy. But even Namath is in the HOF which isn’t to say that Harbaugh should be. Just saying that Harbaugh’s accomplishments aren’t necessarily stats but more impact.

IMO, there is no way Namath should be in the HOF based on his stats. It’s based on one game. I really like Jim Harbaugh, but his inclusion is heavily based on getting the team into the AFC Championship game. 

As you said, owners include players that from a stat perspective , shouldn’t be in, but maybe because of an intangible , like getting an organization out of the dark ages, it gets them in. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Old Crow said:

IMO, there is no way Namath should be in the HOF based on his stats. It’s based on one game. I really like Jim Harbaugh, but his inclusion is heavily based on getting the team into the AFC Championship game. 

As you said, owners include players that from a stat perspective , shouldn’t be in, but maybe because of an intangible , like getting an organization out of the dark ages, it gets them in. 

Just playing devils advocate, but I’d say Namath maybe is in the HOF because of his bombastic attitude and swagger. He was the first diva or superstar, for better or worse.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Harbaugh didn’t quit on his team 2 weeks before the season.  Like I said, Luck will get up there,  it not for several years

Luck didn't quit on his team he hit a realization that he just doesn't have that passion or joy sort of speak to continue playing because of all the injuries he has battled through yes he could have made the decision sooner but its just how it all played out he owe's this team nothing if anything the team owe's him for letting him take all those beatdowns. But no he didn't quit he decided he could no longer be all in so he did the team a service by admitting that to himself and stepping aside and letting himself and the team move on.

17 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

If you can't see what that kid played through  to make us as good as we were,  I don't know what to say.   He took a beating in his early years.   We fans don't get run over by a dump truck every Sunday.   I'm not placing blame on anyone.   But the fact is,  he got beat up.    He gave this team every ounce of what he had when he played.    I liked the comparison someone made to Bob Sanders. 

Just playing devils advocate, but I’d say Namath maybe is in the HOF because of his bombastic attitude and swagger. He was the first diva or superstar, for better or worse.

The attitude and swagger were definitely factors, but the bombastic bragging, combined with his win over the Colts ,  put him over the top. You may be right about the Diva factor , but I still think it’s a bogus pick. 

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Luck didn't quit on his team he hit a realization that he just doesn't have that passion or joy sort of speak to continue playing because of all the injuries he has battled through yes he could have made the decision sooner but its just how it all played out he owe's this team nothing if anything the team owe's him for letting him take all those beatdowns. But no he didn't quit he decided he could no longer be all in so he did the team a service by admitting that to himself and stepping aside and letting himself and the team move on.

Then why not say it on the outset? Why go through that theater of doing cone drills, saying he’ll be ready? Why say last year that his love for the game was back? His presser was the first inkling anyone had that this wasn’t the case and in fact, he stated and displayed multiple times the contrary. I’m sorry but two weeks before the season, regardless of how much I support his decision, the timing of that is inexcusable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If you can't see what that kid played through  to make us as good as we were,  I don't know what to say.   He took a beating in his early years.   We fans don't get run over by a dump truck every Sunday.   I'm not placing blame on anyone.   But the fact is,  he got beat up.    He gave this team every ounce of what he had when he played.    I liked the comparison someone made to Bob Sanders. 

Be careful saying he gave every ounce of had that would make a lot of people very upset after watching him run that cones real with such efficiency. Getting beat up does not put him in the Ring of Honor being here year after year producing year after year and winning while not letting your team down

Just now, The Old Crow said:

The attitude and swagger were definitely factors, but the bombastic bragging, combined with his win over the Colts ,  put him over the top. You may be right about the Diva factor , but I still think it’s a bogus pick. 

Agreed. When looking at all the QBs in the HOF, he stands apart as not having the same level of skill or stats.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You could make the same argument for Curtis Painter.

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

Be careful saying he gave every ounce of had that would make a lot of people very upset after watching him run that cones real with such efficiency. Getting beat up does not put him in the Ring of Honor being here year after year producing year after year and winning while not letting your team down

If he was my son and not the qb of my favorite team I would have wanted him to retire. 

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

If he was my son and not the qb of my favorite team I would have wanted him to retire. 

But none of you seem to respond to the factory he ran that cone drill in front of everyone and impressed all the people that saw it not just here but also on social media so much they say he looks ready to go

Just now, jvan1973 said:

And that’s fine. I don’t think people are arguing his choice to retire. They’re arguing that he did it two weeks before the season and with all the indicators that he’d be ready. 

I was taught, and I’ll teach my son the same, that you don’t quit, no matter how hard something is, you see it through to the end.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Curtis painter didn't have the skills to carry this team to wins.   He was also cut.   Terrible analogy 

That was the point. Look at what was said in the quote in my post. It’s foolish to say we should honor someone cuz they got beat up and tried real hard.

Just now, indyagent17 said:

But none of you seem to respond to the factory he ran that cone drill in front of everyone and impressed all the people that saw it not just here but also on social media so much they say he looks ready to go

Any third string qb on any division one team can run the cone drill.   That means nothing if you're mind and heart isn't in it.   

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

That was the point. Look at what was said in the quote in my post. It’s foolish to say we should honor someone cuz they got beat up and tried real hard.

Then why is Chris Hinton in the ring?

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

And that’s fine. I don’t think people are arguing his choice to retire. They’re arguing that he did it two weeks before the season and with all the indicators that he’d be ready. 

I was taught, and I’ll teach my son the same, that you don’t quit, no matter how hard something is, you see it through to the end.

I agree about the timing.   It sucks.   I just don't know who to blame for it

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Any third string qb on any division one team can run the cone drill.   That means nothing if you're mind and heart isn't in it.   

I think maybe you’re too emotional at the moment to understand what we’re saying.

No one is mad he retired cuz his heart wasn’t in it. We’re mad that we found out in a tweet two weeks before the season started when he said he was progressing well. Plus all the other things we’ve posted in this and other threads.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I’ve honestly never agreed with him being in there, either. 

I think tenure should play one of, if not THE largest role in getting in. It gives emphasis to great seasons versus great seasons over the long haul. 

Harbaugh got us a play away from a Super Bowl... Luck never did that.  

• Like 1

I think maybe you’re too emotional at the moment to understand what we’re saying.

No one is mad he retired cuz his heart wasn’t in it. We’re mad that we found out in a tweet two weeks before the season started when he said he was progressing well. Plus all the other things we’ve posted in this and other threads.

I agree with that.   That's the part where I wish we knew more

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I agree about the timing.   It sucks.   I just don't know who to blame for it

I support him doing what’s best for him. I don’t fault him for not wanting to do it if his heart isn’t there. My issue was the execution. I blame him because he could control the narrative regardless of how much the org is at fault.

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

I’ll never forget that game. So long as I live I’ll always remember that last play.

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I support him doing what’s best for him. I don’t fault him for not wanting to do it if his heart isn’t there. My issue was the execution. I blame him because he could control the narrative regardless of how much the org is at fault.

I’ll never forget that game. So long as I live I’ll always remember that last play.

Well, we got royally screwed by refs all game that day.  We SHOULD have made the Super Bowl.  I was bummed at the time that they sent Harbaugh packing to Chicago I think.  (Not sure, been a few years).  

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

There are a lot of unanswered questions like the timing, the differing injury reports , and the leaked retirement tweet to the reporter . 

Based on comparable ROH inductees , he should be a slam dunk, despite the shortened career. He still is a pivotal Indianapolis Colt, although I do sympathize with the fans being upset because of the timing. He took a heck of a beating , but the timing question needs to be answered.  

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Look.  I love Jim Harbaugh. Andrew was miles better than him.   Our run in 95 was lucky.   The colts run in 2013 was far more impressive from the qb perspective

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Look.  I love Jim Harbaugh. Andrew was miles better than him.   Our run in 95 was lucky.   The colts run in 2013 was far more impressive from the qb perspective

I can't say the talent around Harbaugh was better than around Luck, can you? Harbaugh rose up in those playoffs and we really should have won that game if not for Ref nonsense.  And even having to play against the Steelers and the Refs, we still had a jump ball to go to the Super Bowl.  Luck was never remotely competitive against New England nor any other team that knocked us out of the playoffs.  I just think Harbaugh's heroics earned him a place on the ring, and I think it was Manning that caused Harbaugh to be jettisoned wasn't it?  Hard to recall.  

I think the more questionable name is Marshall Faulk,  Sure, he was a HOFer but only played 4 meaningless seasons for us and we didn't resign him.  That felt more like boosting Colts cred by listing him there than the other way around.  

8 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well, we got royally screwed by refs all game that day.  We SHOULD have made the Super Bowl.  I was bummed at the time that they sent Harbaugh packing to Chicago I think.  (Not sure, been a few years).  

San Diego.

And agreed. WR got mugged on that play. Downside to playing against the Steelers 

Just now, JPFolks said:

I can't say the talent around Harbaugh was better than around Luck, can you? Harbaugh rose up in those playoffs and we really should have won that game if not for Ref nonsense.  And even having to play against the Steelers and the Refs, we still had a jump ball to go to the Super Bowl.  Luck was never remotely competitive against New England nor any other team that knocked us out of the playoffs.  I just think Harbaugh's heroics earned him a place on the ring, and I think it was Manning that caused Harbaugh to be jettisoned wasn't it?  Hard to recall.  

I think the more questionable name is Marshall Faulk,  Sure, he was a HOFer but only played 4 meaningless seasons for us and we didn't resign him.  That felt more like boosting Colts cred by listing him there than the other way around.  

Andrew Luck was a far superior talent than Harbaugh.   If you can't see that then I don't know what to say.   This is coming from a guy that loves Jim Harbaugh