Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It has to be discussed

WoolMagnet

Does anyone have information on our medical staff.

Irsay's decision to allow Luck to keep the 24 million, coupled  with Luck's apparent injury history has me thinking.  Whether the 24M is related or not, it begs the question:

Is our medical staff competent?

Back when Luck had his shoulder thing, i seem to remember several "mistakes" made.  It seems Andrew improved when he got "outside" help.  

Again , with the ankle, it seems that things were possibly not handled right .   Even Ballard was confused when he explained " we thought it was the calf, okay?,  and we had a test done.  Then we thought it was......"

I guess i am wondering if our guys know what the heck they are doing.

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

Irsay's decision to allow Luck to keep the 24 million, count led with Luck's apparent injury history has me thinking.  Whether the 24M is related or not, it begs the question:

Back when Luck had his shoulder thing, i seem to remember several "mistakes" made.  It seems Andrew improved when he got "outside" help.  

Again , with the ankle, it seems that things were possibly not handled right .   Even Ballard was confused when he explained " we thought it was the calf, okay?,  and we had a test done.  Then we thought it was......"

The short answer is, yes, we need a new med staff.

HOWEVER, and this is a big HOWEVER, I feel that Luck wasn't being honest with the team on either of these injuries. 

• Like 2

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

Interesting

Look back at all the incidents about this, the Kidney, the shoulder, the calf, the ankle, whatever, Luck ALWAYS chose the long, painful rehabs. I think Luck is/was afraid of surgeries and thought his body would heal naturally.  I also think he has developed a low pain tolerance due to the injuries, I know I did after my first knee injury.

I'm not sure what kind of treatment he got in Europe, but I do know they use some methods that aren't allowed in the US, specifically with localized pain therapy and cellular regeneration that supposedly decreases recovery times and pain. My guess is you will in very short term, read where Luck is seen back in Europe again. 

Just now, rockywoj said:

If there is / was legitimate misdiagnosis going on, then absolutely the medical staff needs to be scrutinized.  That is for Ballard and Irsay to be on top of.

I remember a reporter asking Ballard this, and Ballard said they evaluated the situation.  It seemed odd.  

Its odd to me that more discussion (hete and media) isnt  on this.  Its like thinking there is no difference taking your Ferrari to a dealer or the "corner gas station" for engine work.  If my Ferrari ( or Toyota) dealer misdiagnoses an isdue, i find a new service department.

6 minutes ago, Korey said:

Time will tell. It will be interesting to see how the information about the last injury that happen and how much the Colts medical staff knew or didn't know.

Luck was notorious for using his own doctors, so Indy's medical people are probably the least to blame about this one.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Luck was notorious for using his own doctors, so Indy's medical people are probably the least to blame about this one.

Rick Venturi just raised this same theory. Even said that Luck may not have been mentally right since prior to 2017’s season going back to Jim’s comment about it being in Lucks head. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Rick Venturi just raised this same theory. Even said that Luck may not have been mentally right since prior to 2017’s season going back to Jim’s comment about it being in Lucks head. 

FWIW, that kinda proves Jim Irsay's "4 inches between his ears" theory was right.

51 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Irsay's decision to allow Luck to keep the 24 million, coupled  with Luck's apparent injury history has me thinking.  Whether the 24M is related or not, it begs the question:

Some of our medical staff has changed since then.

All I know is that in 2015, Luck sustained 3 different injuries from 2 different games. 1 at the beginning of the season, and 2 towards the end of the season. Throwing shoulder, lacerated kidney, and torn abdominal muscle. So in 2019, we learn that 3 years ago, at the beginning of 2016, he went snowboarding, got in an accident, and again injured his right should. Went through all of 2016 with 2 separate injuries to his right shoulder, thus leading to surgery, and missing the 2017 season. So now, sometime before April, he tweaked his calf mysteriously, which lead to the ankle, then to high ankle, then back to the calf, and never knowing the cause of this mysterious injury. I'm wondering if a couple years from now, we will find out that Luck went out after the 2018 season, and did some kind of crazy activity again, and got into another accident, and injured his lower leg, where he would eventually miss the 2019 season, and feel this pain for a long, long time.

Its not the medical staff.  Its Luck.

Looking back at everything in total, I think Luck lied about the impact his snowboarding accident had on his shoulder, and played less than 100% in order to protect his money.

If he lied along the way about aggressively rehabbing the shoulder after the surgery, causing a timing set back and him to miss the 2017 season (remember Irsay saying early that he would be ready), that would be disappointing. 

He does not have the ability to handle the stress of being "the guy", and he's reluctantly played the part until he could get out of it a rich man.

Not saying he planned it, but I think after he got his money and his family, he finally was set enough to be truthful to himself and realized he simply did not want to be an NFL QB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'm guessing I'm seeing things unrelated, but 20 years ago, the now Colts Team Doctor, misdiagnosed my daughter's knee after a high school basketball injury. That has nothing to do with the Colts, or now, but I personally dont trust him.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its not the medical staff.  Its Luck.

Looking back at everything in total, I think Luck lied about the impact his snowboarding accident had on his shoulder, and played less than 100% in order to protect his money.

If he lied along the way about aggressively rehabbing the shoulder after the surgery, causing a timing set back and him to miss the 2017 season (remember Irsay saying early that he would be ready), that would be disappointing. 

He does not have the ability to handle the stress of being "the guy", and he's reluctantly played the part until he could get out of it a rich man.

Not saying he planned it, but I think after he got his money and his family, he finally was set enough to be truthful to himself and realized he simply did not want to be an NFL QB.

Stop with the "get rich" schemes I see all over. The Luck Family was already rich.  It's why he wasnt as desperate to make it in the NFL as a kid coming up poor. He had that Architect Degree as well.  He marches to a different drummer than any of us or "normal" players.

The entire league loves coming to town for the combine, in part because of easy access to top notch, state of the art sports medicene facilities and personell.... So I have a hard time buying that the local pro teams couldn't find medical staff that was competent..... When they pay higher than just about any other professional organization....

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Venturi is a blowhard.  He probably knows Andrew luck about as well as I know Andrew luck.

Maybe true. 

However, what he says is what many have said as well. And frankly, I think he’s dead on right on this one.

17 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

All I know is that in 2015, Luck sustained 3 different injuries from 2 different games. 1 at the beginning of the season, and 2 towards the end of the season. Throwing shoulder, lacerated kidney, and torn abdominal muscle. So in 2019, we learn that 3 years ago, at the beginning of 2016, he went snowboarding, got in an accident, and again injured his right should. Went through all of 2016 with 2 separate injuries to his right shoulder, thus leading to surgery, and missing the 2017 season. So now, sometime before April, he tweaked his calf mysteriously, which lead to the ankle, then to high ankle, then back to the calf, and never knowing the cause of this mysterious injury. I'm wondering if a couple years from now, we will find out that Luck went out after the 2018 season, and did some kind of crazy activity again, and got into another accident, and injured his lower leg, where he would eventually miss the 2019 season, and feel this pain for a long, long time.

I honestly believe that is exactly what happened. 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Maybe true. 

However, what he says is what many have said as well. And frankly, I think he’s dead on right on this one.

I thought both JMV and Venturi sounded like a couple gossip columnists.

25 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Stop with the "get rich" schemes I see all over. The Luck Family was already rich.  It's why he wasnt as desperate to make it in the NFL as a kid coming up poor. He had that Architect Degree as well.  He marches to a different drummer than any of us or "normal" players.

Well, family money is not the same as your own, so it plays a part.

Overall, I think he played for as long as he did because he felt obligated to. 

He played during 2016 because he felt obligated, and he slow walked recoveries and feigned a leg injury because his desires to not play conflicted with the obligations he felt to play.

Until now when he finally had to make a decision, and he made the decision that was true to his heart instead of fulfilling the obligations he felt for years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimmy g said:

I'm guessing I'm seeing things unrelated, but 20 years ago, the now Colts Team Doctor, misdiagnosed my daughter's knee after a high school basketball injury. That has nothing to do with the Colts, or now, but I personally dont trust him.

I would feel the way you do too.   Its perfectly natural.

6 hours ago, aavmarine said:

I don’t remember where now, but I am telling you I read on this forum that someone called into a local radio show and said Luck had another snowboard accident and he got a high ankle sprain from it.  

Now is that the most reliable source in the world?  Clearly no.  However, I don’t have a hard time believing it either.